What's new

Official Pokemon Go Thread (Beginner Tips inside)

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Pro tip: never use incense unless a Pokemon is within 2 footprints or you're near a triggered poke stop. Even incense has a limited range, and it'll only randomly generate a Pokemon once every 8 minutes.

If you never leave your local area, focus more on gathering and hatching eggs. They supply huge amounts of dust and new pokes to use..

Also don't level up until you're fully evolved. You get better numbers per level

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Also it's really lucrative to offer to hatch people's eggs for them. Get a bunch of phone holder armbands and offer to walk people's eggs around. I usually charge about $1 a km and my neighborhood is full of kids who can't go far from home so they fork over $5 a pop and I go for a walk.

Think I've made like $300 since launch

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Pro tip: never use incense unless a Pokemon is within 2 footprints or you're near a triggered poke stop. Even incense has a limited range, and it'll only randomly generate a Pokemon once every 8 minutes.

If you never leave your local area, focus more on gathering and hatching eggs. They supply huge amounts of dust and new pokes to use..

Also don't level up until you're fully evolved. You get better numbers per level
Is it wise to activate the insense at a pokespot?
Also what do you mean by not leveling up until your fully evolved? Dont you have to spend your stardust to earn candy to evolve?
Also i heard to not bother challenging gyms. Whats everybodys opions on that?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
This game's not out in the UK yet but what's the point of the game? Like what do you do with your Pokemon after you catch it?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Is it wise to activate the insense at a pokespot?
Also what do you mean by not leveling up until your fully evolved? Dont you have to spend your stardust to earn candy to evolve?
Also i heard to not bother challenging gyms. Whats everybodys opions on that?
Yes, if the pokespot is active then it will draw in Pokemon. If you also have incense active, not only will more appear in higher frequency, but it pulls them in from further away. When the Pokemon gets within 2 steps (since incense are personal use only) the game generates 2 of them, one for you and one for the spot. The one for the spot arrives first, then yours does after

And you get candy just from catching and transferring Pokemon, stardust and candy are used when leveling, and only candy is used in evolution. Every capture is 4 candy, and most evolutions are 50 candy, so after about 13 catches you should have enough.

Once they evolve, they gain double point values from level ups. That means if a meowth were to get 14 CP from a level, Persian would get 28 CP.
The dust/candy requirements don't tend to differ much between forms since it's based on a CP threshold, so it's more efficient to level as an evolved Pokemon since you'll earn more points for the same input.

As far as gyms go, unless you're at the 1k point or have a lot of friends with a minimum of 700 CP to pile into a gym, it's not worth it. If there's a weak gym then take it, since there is a daily bonus of 500 dust and 10 coins for your first capture and again every 24 hours. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother unless you're trying to thin your pockets or the enemy team is particularly weak.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Also keep an eye on your pokemons moves when you capture them. The absolute best right now is (if I remember right) a 15 power basic attack and a 50 power special with 2 bars.

The worst is a 6-10 power attack and a 15-20 power 5 bar special

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It's a really cool/dumb game that hardly works for me.
Servers keep dying, and every time I catch a pokemon there is a 50% chance it will freeze my game.

I'm going to get all 150 even if it kills me.
Preferably before they release the next batch, I don't want to dirty my pokedex with any pokemon past the original 150.

Fucking Ice cream cone pokemon.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Yes, if the pokespot is active then it will draw in Pokemon. If you also have incense active, not only will more appear in higher frequency, but it pulls them in from further away. When the Pokemon gets within 2 steps (since incense are personal use only) the game generates 2 of them, one for you and one for the spot. The one for the spot arrives first, then yours does after

And you get candy just from catching and transferring Pokemon, stardust and candy are used when leveling, and only candy is used in evolution. Every capture is 4 candy, and most evolutions are 50 candy, so after about 13 catches you should have enough.

Once they evolve, they gain double point values from level ups. That means if a meowth were to get 14 CP from a level, Persian would get 28 CP.
The dust/candy requirements don't tend to differ much between forms since it's based on a CP threshold, so it's more efficient to level as an evolved Pokemon since you'll earn more points for the same input.

As far as gyms go, unless you're at the 1k point or have a lot of friends with a minimum of 700 CP to pile into a gym, it's not worth it. If there's a weak gym then take it, since there is a daily bonus of 500 dust and 10 coins for your first capture and again every 24 hours. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother unless you're trying to thin your pockets or the enemy team is particularly weak.
Ok got you.
I actually do have a pretty big circle that gets together at my place and conveniently enough theres a gym right at the corner of my neiborhood. So your telling me its best to get a group? In that case, who gets to be the gym leader?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Also Pokemon tend to grow in level in the wild alongside you, so until you reach about level 10 you really should be scrapping most Pokemon.

Past level 10 they tend to cap out around 400 for unevolved and 600 for evolved so past that point it's fine to level and evolve as you please.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
It's a really cool/dumb game that hardly works for me.
Servers keep dying, and every time I catch a pokemon there is a 50% chance it will freeze my game.

I'm going to get all 150 even if it kills me.
Preferably before they release the next batch, I don't want to dirty my pokedex with any pokemon past the original 150.

Fucking Ice cream cone pokemon.
You say that but magneton is literally three magnemites combined and you didn't complain.

Dugtrio is three digletts. So on so forth.
Ok got you.
I actually do have a pretty big circle that gets together at my place and conveniently enough theres a gym right at the corner of my neiborhood. So your telling me its best to get a group? In that case, who gets to be the gym leader?
Always better to have a group since the invaders have to fight all of you to win. More Pokemon in the way means more chance they'll lose, and more potions they'll have to use to invade. Eventually they run out.

Highest CP is the leader

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Also if you can manage it, ghastly with a dark type basic attack is amazing for most gym battles since a majority of Pokemon right now have their basic attack as a normal type move (quick attack, tackle, so on) or their special move which the AI uses often (body slam, for example). Ghastly stays immune to it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
learn to use battery saver mode (in your options) and always bring a charger with a wall plug with you. Unless you're wandering in the middle of nowhere, it shouldn't be hard to find an outlet or usb nearby.

High powered gps is expensive on battery life, but with battery saver mode it basically checks for nearby Pokemon or spots and otherwise saves a lot of battery juice.

Travel in groups. Not only is it safer, but it makes the time between Pokemon shorter and Pokemon in the wild aren't exclusive to one person (unless they incense) so it means more mons for more people. If you have no friends, consider downloading the go chat, which lets you relay and receive information from nearby players.

Catch everything you can. Every catch is more dust (which you can never have enough of) and candies you may use later. If you get eggs, hatch them! Each egg drops about a thousand or so dust, which is awesome later on. Also provides experience, which means more items and poke balls.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If you're in a car, there are three things to make note of.

One: egg progress doesn't work if you're moving above 15 mph it seems. So no ez mode hatching.

Two: You don't need to pop the bubbles to get the items, you can literally click and spin and X out. Works great if there's multiple stops but not a lot of time to get them all.

Three: see a rare Pokemon on the road you're going through? Click it (if you aren't driving) and no matter how far from that mon you get you'll have a fair chance to catch it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If you have had enough immersion and are tired of shaky cam mode, turning off AR stabilizes the screen and actually uses less battery life when catching mons. This is because it uses a pre rendered background screen and doesn't need to activate the extra parts of the phone.

Also makes catching more efficient because it's easier to line up shots and get throw bonuses.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Currently the best Pokemon overall is magnetite/magneton. If you can catch and main one, they cover the most types and a lot of the common ones (because most people are running electric, bird, water)

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Find Arcanine, waste 10 balls tryna catch, app freezes on me... no longer near arcanine...any way I can stop this, or is this a server issue? Im beyond pissed, considering arcanine is my childhood fave