What's new

NRS and their garbage patches (aka hotfixes)

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
Casuals might be the biggest proportion in this game, but they aren't buying these combat packs. Why would someone, who rarely plays the game, invest over 40 dollars into it. It doesn't make sense.
Nah man, I don't agree and there are also more groups than just casuals and pros.
(I think there are about 4 groups, casuals(1-8 hours a week), gamers(10-30 hours a week), hardcore gamers(30-80+ hours a week - those gamers don't have to be "good"), pro gamers (try hard to reach money and trophies))

And Juggs also don't mention the factor that a "happy" community will of course lure in even more players. (Just watch Tekken7)

This game has the best "casual" fighter-DLC on the market.
(Not to forget the crazy good story DLC - I think most budget went into)
RoboCop, Rambo, Terminator, Joker, Spawn all famous figures that for sure will lure in casuals to buy.
(I would love to see sales charts for single DLC fighters in MK11, to bad we will never get those infos)

This game looks so fantastic!
Exactly what "casuals" want.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
(Old response)

Casuals might be the biggest proportion in this game, but they aren't buying these combat packs. Why would someone, who rarely plays the game, invest over 40 dollars into it. It doesn't make sense. People who have invested hours into this game through the krypt, towers of time, KL are the ones who are buying these expensive combat packs.

I and I'm sure many others play different games at a casual level. Even though i play cod, I never buy the season pass or any dlc, because it would be a waste of money. If I'm only on the game for 2 to 3 hours why would I invest 50 bucks for a season pass that you have to grind for 20 hours in order to obtain the full benefit from. The people who do buy the season passes are thoes who have over 30+ hours in the game.

So no I don't think that most of the dlc purchases come from casuals, unless I'm just a weird gamer who doesn't blow my money.
I think some of the dlc is designed to make casuals want to buy kombat packs or buy the game and the pack. Fans of MK don't want characters like terminator, robocop and rambo. I think these characters are put in for that reason.

Ashesfall

Fans of MK don't want characters like terminator, robocop and rambo.
I would call me a "fan" since MK1 and I really like them.
I mean it's called Mortal- (deadly,fatal,lethal) Kombat.
All those "guest" DLC fighters fit this theme perfect.
(And with all the realms + Kronikas time travel story, it's not even impossible for them to appear in MK)

I know some people don't like guest fighters in general but for sure not all players.

You know what I would "dislike" as a guest in MK? Cute little Lucky Chloe dancing around ...
(She is a true Iron Fist (Tekken) ... not ... but "sex" sells ...)

I think some of the dlc is designed to make casuals want to buy kombat packs or buy the game and the pack. Fans of MK don't want characters like terminator, robocop and rambo. I think these characters are put in for that reason.
MK is game that's been around since the 90's and the guys in charge of the game were around during that time too. Most longtime MK fans grew up on films like The Terminator, Alien, Robocop and Rambo, so I'm always happy to see them, even though their gameplay didn't turn out the way I'd like it.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I would call me a "fan" since MK1 and I really like them.
I mean it's called Mortal- (deadly,fatal,lethal) Kombat.
All those "guest" DLC fighters fit this theme perfect.
(And with all the realms + Kronikas time travel story, it's not even impossible for them to appear in MK)

I know some people don't like guest fighters in general but for sure not all players.

You know what I would "dislike" as a guest in MK? Cute little Lucky Chloe dancing around ...
(She is a true Iron Fist (Tekken) ... not ... but "sex" sells ...)
MK is game that's been around since the 90's and the guys in charge of the game were around during that time too. Most longtime MK fans grew up on films like The Terminator, Alien, Robocop and Rambo, so I'm always happy to see them, even though their gameplay didn't turn out the way I'd like it.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. I grew up watching 80s horror and I loved those characters. Ash was a dream character for me and I can see the 80s action characters would be loved. Terminator 2 was one of my favourite movies as a kid. I remember seeing that and total recall as a double feature.But they are a marketing tool. If you didn't buy the game and heard your favourite action/horror character is in a game it might encourage you to buy it and give it a go. MK fans will buy it either way.

The thing I don't like about the casuals argument is that bending over backwards to appease casuals from a balance and gameplay perspective makes no sense. As others have pointed out, the casuals aren't going to care one way or another whether something is competitively viable or not.

If things like custom variations were more tailored towards the people who actually cared about it, which admittedly is the much smaller group, the larger group would still benefit from it since it doesn't matter to that group anyway. Seems like a no brainer to me, tbh.

We can totally have both.

Ashesfall

That would 100% be Smash Bros Ultimate.
I can see that but for me smash is not the kind of fighting game I would refer to
(I personally never had the slightest interest in even trying smash)

The license went into MK, is just stunning to me
(The main reason we didn't get Ash, even tho a lot of people would have liked him to be in the game. But maybe this issue can be solved in future.)

---
edit: I don't know for sure about Tekken7 netcode but the big season4 patch made it really good + the option to decline all wifi warriors, an option I miss in MK11
(It's for sure not the classic delay based method as your inputs won't get "lost", so I would also tend to say some kind of rollback.)

Last edited:

Ashesfall

It still fits the description of what you said regardless of how you feel about Smash.
Maybe it does but even a lot of the known FGC figures say that Smash is a different category.
It's kinda like comparing Gran Turismo and Mario Kart. Yes both are "racing" games but to different.

I think we have 2D, 3D and Brawler.
When people talk about it, you never hear titles like Dissida Final Fantasy or Namcos Jump Force.
(Both Games are kinda dead, right?)

But if you think Smash falls into the category of SF, MK, Tekken, Soul Calibur, KoF, GG, VF, DOA, Injustice, MvC, etc. go for it, I guess.

Last edited:

Ashesfall

Can't fix a garbage game oop.
Why do people say that tho?
I mean a lot of Tekken players didn't like Tekken Vanilla.
And now with Tekken7, almost everyone who plays it, likes or loves it.
(I am just a little tired of all the Leroy and Fahk "hate", even tho they got massively nerfed - Fahk for example has the worst sidestep in the game ...)

Games can evolve (If a developer wants it tho), new mechanics/systems and new variation moves etc. all this could give that extra little depth people are asking for.

I like them both but when it comes to gameplay MK11 feels a little "shallow".
But I also wouldn't compare Tekken7 to MK11, they are to me to different.

My final "deadline" to see if NRS is listening, will be by the end of the pro league/movie is running.
I think by then we can assume MK11 is in "maintenance" mode.

For me, it's never too late to "adjust" a game, just watch MKX to MKXL.

PS: my latest Kunimitsu picture:
Beautiful 3D fighting game.

trufenix

bye felicia
Has it worked in the last 2 games?
Obviously. Why else would they keep doing it? Balance, sales, players, support, competition. Literally everything is better now. Its not even a contest unless you can't seperate reality from your nostalgia. There's no variation in MKX/11 as shitty or incomplete as MK9 low tiers, and there's been none as broke or outright unfair (save a couple in MKX, looking at Tanya, Alien and Quan) as the MK9 high tiers. Hasn't even been a patch as damaging as the MK9/X era ones. The Geras / Erron nerfs maybe, but both of those characters still work fine. .. THANKS TO THE VARIATION SYSTEM.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Obviously. Why else would they keep doing it? Balance, sales, players, support, competition. Literally everything is better now. Its not even a contest unless you can't seperate reality from your nostalgia. There's no variation in MKX/11 as shitty or incomplete as MK9 low tiers, and there's been none as broke or outright unfair (save a couple in MKX, looking at Tanya, Alien and Quan) as the MK9 high tiers. Hasn't even been a patch as damaging as the MK9/X era ones. The Geras / Erron nerfs maybe, but both of those characters still work fine. .. THANKS TO THE VARIATION SYSTEM.
lmao

Nah man, I don't agree and there are also more groups than just casuals and pros.
(I think there are about 4 groups, casuals(1-8 hours a week), gamers(10-30 hours a week), hardcore gamers(30-80+ hours a week - those gamers don't have to be "good"), pro gamers (try hard to reach money and trophies))

And Juggs also don't mention the factor that a "happy" community will of course lure in even more players. (Just watch Tekken7)

This game has the best "casual" fighter-DLC on the market.
(Not to forget the crazy good story DLC - I think most budget went into)
RoboCop, Rambo, Terminator, Joker, Spawn all famous figures that for sure will lure in casuals to buy.
(I would love to see sales charts for single DLC fighters in MK11, to bad we will never get those infos)

This game looks so fantastic!
View attachment 18044
View attachment 18045
Exactly what "casuals" want.
I meant to say returning players instead of just pro players, and pro players only. those returning players would include regular and hardcore gamers who sink hours into this game through a variety of grinding. casuals on the other hand won't. the eye-popping dlc is supposed to catch returning players' eyes since they are more willing to spend money on a game they play often.

Why do people say that tho?
I mean a lot of Tekken players didn't like Tekken Vanilla.
And now with Tekken7, almost everyone who plays it, likes or loves it.
(I am just a little tired of all the Leroy and Fahk "hate", even tho they got massively nerfed - Fahk for example has the worst sidestep in the game ...)

Games can evolve (If a developer wants it tho), new mechanics/systems and new variation moves etc. all this could give that extra little depth people are asking for.

I like them both but when it comes to gameplay MK11 feels a little "shallow".
But I also wouldn't compare Tekken7 to MK11, they are to me to different.

My final "deadline" to see if NRS is listening, will be by the end of the pro league/movie is running.
I think by then we can assume MK11 is in "maintenance" mode.

For me, it's never too late to "adjust" a game, just watch MKX to MKXL.

PS: my latest Kunimitsu picture:
View attachment 18046
Beautiful 3D fighting game.
one of the reasons why it might feel shallow might be of the over abundance of special moves for each character( although mkx had more). I think they just designed a bunch of custom moves without having any thought on how it would be used really. I think they also were on a time constraint and just never came back to balance some of these moves for characters they were building on last.

An example would be day 1 liu. the devs just said f*ck it, and gave him everything. meanwhile, you have people like noob, and raiden who have some pretty garbage specials that do absolutely nothing. Raiden's rolling cloud actually does nothing lol. ( you can put any non-top 5 characters in noobs or Raiden's spot tbh)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Raiden's rolling cloud actually does nothing lol.
Really? I don't think it's that bad. DOT that moves forward, decent damage, decent startup, on the screen for awhile. You could use it in a Storm Cell/Lightning Storm/Rolling Thunder build. Not optimal or anything, and you're certainly not going to build completely around it, but it wouldn't be that hard to make it work if that's what you want to do.

Really? I don't think it's that bad. DOT that moves forward, decent damage, decent startup, on the screen for awhile. You could use it in a Storm Cell/Lightning Storm/Rolling Thunder build. Not optimal or anything, and you're certainly not going to build completely around it, but it wouldn't be that hard to make it work if that's what you want to do.
Despite all that I think at the end of the day Raiden is better off equipping anything else instead of it.