What's new

Strategy Now That's What I Call An Entrance -- Green Arrow General Discussion Thread

Wasted

Noob
Chris G is an amazing player and is working with the limited character that is Green Arrow. He is on point with Green Arrows pseudo mixups and overall strategy. The only thing Chris G needs to improve is his corner damage. Chris G doesn;t go for Green Arrows hard hitting corner combos but other than that, he's playing on point.
Please demonstrate where I disputed this.

If you really did play Green Arrow you'd know 111 or 113 is a rarely used string by green Arrow players. The reach on his standing 1 is terrible, and not only that, off of a ji2, the first hit whiffs 9 times out of 10. Either they fix his ji2 or his 111 113 because it is unusable for now unless done naked with out the jumpin, but good luck with that, the reach sucks. His best string is f2d13 and 223 for the untechable knockdown after bnb.

Day 1 tech, already known. Thanks for that. 111 isn't used because in addition to the 1st whiffing - it's a fucking High move. Same for 113.

The first argument presented was that Dragongod kept blocking all of Chris' mixups. Whose fault is that? Please, tell me. The point of a mixup is that your opponent is forced to guess. GA has how many ways to change up during those strings?

There is a universal truth within fighting games: If your mixups are being blocked continuously, you're getting predictable. Lately you can almost always correctly guess Chris' arrow followup by watching.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Follows up string with ice arrow a lot you say? Dude should swap to stinger then and surprise em with a low once in a while.

BTW I have to say SCREW online with Green Arrow. I cannot tell you how often online I go for stinger and freakin F3 comes out instead. Online is soooooo bad with him. Queens Gambit really is a gambit in some connections. I had to abandon that and stinger altogether vs one guy today who was laggin out the match hard. Switched to air dead ons and friggin 113's.

I may have to make another backpocket character just as an alt for online if I dont want to use my Bane all the time in these moments.

EDIT: Backpocket speedster found. I'm running Batgirl online.

shaowebb

Seapeople
Cossner
Erazor

You guys need to see this and help me test this.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/new-tech-works-for-everyone-in-the-game.33164/

Watch THIS.

This changes the ENTIRE meta of wakeups in some matchups and it may just make GA get some insane stuff.
In essence we can cancel on wakeups into stuff on whif now and that should be IMPOSSIBLE. This is called WCOS (whif cancel option select) I'm gonna try to get this front paged ASAP.

Get crackin' guys and spread this around. ;)

Also if what I'm thinking is correct this means in matchups with folks with high low WCOS options folks will abandon wakeups and just backdash...except vs Green Arrow that may not work because I think we might be able to B2 WCOS into Stinger and slide would still chase them.

Lab time.

EDIT: Savage blast so safe :)

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Seapeople
Cossner
Erazor

You guys need to see this and help me test this.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/new-tech-works-for-everyone-in-the-game.33164/

Watch THIS.

This changes the ENTIRE meta of wakeups in some matchups and it may just make GA get some insane stuff.
In essence we can cancel on wakeups into stuff on whif now and that should be IMPOSSIBLE. This is called WCOS (whif cancel option select) I'm gonna try to get this front paged ASAP.

Get crackin' guys and spread this around. ;)

Also if what I'm thinking is correct this means in matchups with folks with high low WCOS options folks will abandon wakeups and just backdash...except vs Green Arrow that may not work because I think we might be able to B2 WCOS into Stinger and slide would still chase them.

Lab time.

EDIT: Savage blast so safe :)
When I saw the video earlier I thought about GA, but what exactly changes? What is the difference between doing a meaty savage blast and doing a normal in to savage blast? It's not really an OS as many people who have commented on the video has pointed out. The only time the normal in to the special move won't come out is on backdashes, so what is the advantage of doing the normal in to the savage blast rather than just a meaty savage blast?

shaowebb

Its the ability to cancel the overhead attempt into the savage blast that makes it for me. If I wanted to go full on and start with an overhead then odds on I'm just gonna go and do it. But if I got a cancel as an option to back off if I see a wakeup coming out then I can run if I wanted and still take the risk. Stinger though will likely mix em up since I can cancel overhead into low that way. Not certain I can time it quickly enough to do his low starter into anything though which would likely work better with savage blast.

Its basically just the mind game of throwing out something and then just canceling it out for something that hits opposite of how your first one should be blocked. It sort of creates a scenario where they can't even read your attempt to crush their wakeup and in the end leaves them in a situation where they simply wont try wakeups after awhile given the armor gets them nowhere. With GA in that scenario they cant even try to run away because he has options that both hit far enough back using this trick to catch them as well as tricks that put him out safe enough that there isn't really a punish for him even if they use something that moves them forward. I want to try this vs Lex's corp charge wakeup and see if its possible to pull it off against that wakeup's speed.

It's just good to know I guess, but I feel this is a way for people to deal with our reversal which is usually db2. Haven't really tested it though but I will when I get home tonight and such.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I used to do this in a few matchups with Cyrax using things like d4~AAt. I'll mess with it later and see if I can find anything

I found something cool with Green Arrow. Guaranteed Super if the opponent blocks. There are ways around it but the percentage of usefulness is godlike versus the bar they need to get out of it. I'll make a video out of it and show it to you guys.

NeoRussell

Are there ways out of f2d13~Super on block or hit?

No because that is a true combo and not a reset. When the super hits it doesn't reset and scale the damage, it counts as a full combo. However, If he delays the super after the f2d13 string then a simple tech roll will avoid it or an invincible wakeup attack whatever you prefer.
I highly doubt that can be backdashed because of the blockstun. The only way I can think this could be countered is with your own super, but if you don't have the full meter, then I suppose it's pretty much guaranteed. I cant test it out since I have no once to fuzzy the string.

Squizz

Corps Speedster
What do you all think are the best ways to use d1~special as Green Arrow?

-D1~savage blast is nice because it punishes counterpokes & mb b3/f3 attempts, plus it's really safe. They can jump out of it but you still can't be punished.
-D1~slide could be extremely important in the corner since it's one of the only ways you can convert into big damage (d1~slide, d1~freeze). It can't be counterpoked, jumped, or even armored I don't think. The only thing that seems to interrupt it is a super but nobody's going to throw out a super like that.
-D1~arrow seems pretty good but the main problem is that it can be counterpoked. Even d1~air arrow can be counterpoked before you get off the ground. I think this is going to be most useful when you do a max range d1 because it puts you outside most opponents' poke range, so the arrow will punish their counterpoke attempts. F2d13 & 223 on block set up this distance perfectly :)
Im still new to frame data, but down one is -2 on block so how can savage blast be a good follow up with a start up of 23

Wasted

Noob
Savage Blast gets blown up when trying to whiff cancel into it. Remember, it has next to no invincibility normally.

Also don't forget its a mid. There's no mixup at all.

At above poster - remember you skip recovery frames when you do a cancel. You're halfway through the move when the opponent leaves block stun.

I remember jump 3 being so good in the early patch but I get the feeling that got nerfed and not listed. It loses air to air now. I replaced it with Jump 1 which appears to win air battles.

NeoRussell

On hit, 11 xx super seems pretty guaranteed so far. I have beat it with a super but so far I cant backdash it. We might need to do that instead of 111 xx super. I'm gonna keep testing though.

shaowebb

I remember jump 3 being so good in the early patch but I get the feeling that got nerfed and not listed. It loses air to air now. I replaced it with Jump 1 which appears to win air battles.

NeoRussell
For real? What'd it lose to with you that was different than before? I'm still abusing its hitbox.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Yea leave it to Cris!

@SimSimIV the corner one you gave me is very good. Thanks so much for it. Gave me ideas for two different combos that I didn't think worked.
I am interested in the mid screen combo though:p