What's new

No secret characters in MK11 - Daanish Syed

I think it's a poor attempts at "reverse Boon troll". I don't see how a MK game cannot have SOME secrets; and characters are the obvious (and most wanted) type of secret their is.

For now that the finishers are all given away (even provided with insulting "EZ" variants), all the char. abilities are there from the start, and there will be no "Kombat Kart", "Combat Chess" or "Ko-op" (that single-player "tag" gimmickry for a few, fleeting arcade missions does not count as co-op), there is much more incentive to give people some worthwhile hidden stuff... And I don't mean garbage Krypt bric-à-brac, like "gold" or U.I. customisation trinkets -- that stuffs standard filler that it excites no one.

Putting the pessimist's / cynic's fedora on for a moment: With there perhaps being a dozen DLC chars. planned, it would not be a stretch to assume that they felt that they could get away with scant content on the secret char. side of the ledger -- making up for it with copious and continuous DLC treacle trickles, to titillate / distract people with...

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I stopped believing in unlockable secret characters as soon as we learned about the full 25 character roster.

In my mind there is no way NRS would not include additional characters in their marketing:
  1. Your fighting game having 29 playable characters instead of 25 is a big selling point.
  2. Your fighting game having Shinnok, Shang Tsung, Rain and Mileena as unlockable characters instead of them not even being in the game... is an even bigger selling point.
I bought my PS4 only half a year ago. Prior to that I was mainly playing Overwatch on the PC. But Spider-Man and Devil May Cry 5 being announced for the current generation made me buy the PS4. I like superheroes, so me buying Injustice 2 was a given. MKX on the other hand? I only bought MKX, because of Tribog (Smoke & Sektor variations). If Triborg hadn't been in the game, I wouldn't have bought MKX, since I already knew the complete story and had watched hundreds of tournament matches.

So while probably almost everyone, who is active on TYM bought MKX immediately and will also buy MK11 immediately... that doesn't necessarily apply for the majority of other players. I feel like people from certain communities often live in a bubble, where they don't factor in the thoughts and ideas of other people. NRS on the other hand has to. They have to make sure that they attract as much potential customers as possible. And hiding characters like Shang Tsung, Rain and Mileena is not a good way of attracting potential customers.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I stopped believing in unlockable secret characters as soon as we learned about the full 25 character roster.

In my mind there is no way NRS would not include additional characters in their marketing:
  1. Your fighting game having 29 playable characters instead of 25 is a big selling point.
  2. Your fighting game having Shinnok, Shang Tsung, Rain and Mileena as unlockable characters instead of them not even being in the game... is an even bigger selling point.
I bought my PS4 only half a year ago. Prior to that I was mainly playing Overwatch on the PC. But Spider-Man and Devil May Cry 5 being announced for the current generation made me buy the PS4. I like superheroes, so me buying Injustice 2 was a given. MKX on the other hand? I only bought MKX, because of Tribog (Smoke & Sektor variations). If Triborg hadn't been in the game, I wouldn't have bought MKX, since I already knew the complete story and had watched hundreds of tournament matches.

So while probably almost everyone, who is active on TYM bought MKX immediately and will also buy MK11 immediately... that doesn't necessarily apply for the majority of other players. I feel like people from certain communities often live in a bubble, where they don't factor in the thoughts and ideas of other people. NRS on the other hand has to. They have to make sure that they attract as much potential customers as possible. And hiding characters like Shang Tsung, Rain and Mileena is not a good way of attracting potential customers.
Did we know about Cyber Sub-Zero before MK9 launched? (Serious question, I actually don’t know)

Pizza

Thrill Kill
ya exactly, all he said was he's not sure where tyler saying anything about secret characters came from. Daanish only replies to weirdly worded questions.

also lets not forget Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa lied on twitter about playing Shang Tsung. NRS wants people to be surprised by stuff. None of them will out right say anything and , most of them are just trying to trick/tease us lol. tbh I'd rather them be that way, makes it more fun XD

I hope not. Having to unlock characters is the most outdated shit ever. Having to go through the story mode to unlock Shinnok in MKX at my first MKX tournament (as I was the only Shinnok player there) was the absolute worst.
damn really? I always assumed they unlocked everyone for the players

Kratilim

Noob
damn really? I always assumed they unlocked everyone for the players
Its one of the main reasons I think there won't be any unlockable characters this time. They are adamant on getting this game tournament friendly, so making all the characters viable choices is important. Making one or even three characters secret unlockables almost instantly guarantees less (if any) ppl will use them in tournaments.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Calling it now:
After Frost is revealed tomorrow.(or the kombat kast after she is revealed). Tyler or Derek will mention how everyone has been revealed now. Then one of them will make an off comment suggesting maybe it isn't. Definitely will involve someone raising one eyebrow.

We still don’t know who the end game boss will be. We are assuming it is unplayable Kronika, but there will for sure be unexpected plot twists. As leaks and now newly released details about Cetrion suggest Kronika wants to change the timeline in favor of her son, Shinnok. She might bring him back, or someone might take her place...
There is a great chance that the final boss is unlockable in a less “broke” form)

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
We still don’t know who the end game boss will be. We are assuming it is unplayable Kronika, but there will for sure be unexpected plot twists. As leaks and now newly released details about Cetrion suggest Kronika wants to change the timeline in favor of her son, Shinnok. She might bring him back, or someone might take her place...
There is a great chance that the final boss is unlockable in a less “broke” form)
Boon explicitly said Kronika was 'the first female boss'.

Boon explicitly said Kronika was 'the first female boss'.
I know, but there is still that multiple endings stuff, and just like in Injustice when you beat the big bad Brainiac, the story continues into multiple endings. And since Kronika isn’t playable like Brainiac was, we might be able to unlock somebody else.

Lisbeth

Kitana stole my sai
-the final number is 25 says Boon
-leaks confirm that
-but a NRS employee also said the game has unlockable characters
-now another NRS employee says "there are no secret characters" on Twitter
-MK11 website has 3/4 extra blank slots

-for some reason Mileena fans are to blame

I call that terrible communication alright

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
25 characters at launch
If you look at the www.MortalKombat.com/roster
You will see there are blank spots and two locked ones. It doesn't add up to 25 base and shows 29 slots with 8 still blank and doesn't add up to 6 DLC. It looks like both dlc packs minus the guests.
With the Nintendo switch leak saying 13DLC it makes more sense.
I'm not positive we have Unlockable characters but it seems we have 37-38 when all said and done after DLC

In case you haven't noticed Boon says alot of things that are not true. I wouldn't go off what he says. According to him: Mileena, Reptile, Smoke and many others are Konfirmed.

Paulo Garcia did say that we will have Unlockable/secret characters so I guess we will see.

The full tweets below, should add context. Doesn't seem like Daanish Syed is very sure about anything. Crumbles after being questioned.

SinkFla

Noob
Was this interview up before the leak came out?
You mean the one where Paulo said there would be secret characters? Yeah, he made this comment a long time ago around the time of the announcement. I always thought people were reading too much into it and TBH why would a developer even seriously answer that question? They wouldn't be secret anymore lol. The other leaks (and stuff I heard) had 3 unlockables but in all honesty, they were highly requested (and rabid fanbase having) characters so of course someone is gonna say Mileena is an unlock if they're a biased fan. I guess we will know for sure next week.

Don't forget, Shinnok was an unlockable character for MKX and they still did a Kombat Kast previewing him before the game was out. It still didn't affect the final roster count. If there are unlockable characters in MK11, the final number is still 25 at launch.