What's new

No secret characters in MK11 - Daanish Syed

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I hope not. Having to unlock characters is the most outdated shit ever. Having to go through the story mode to unlock Shinnok in MKX at my first MKX tournament (as I was the only Shinnok player there) was the absolute worst.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
It's not that hard to unlock a character, you just have to play LMAO
Point being....
In a tournament setting if you main an unlockable character, that character has to be unlocked before it can be used in tournament. None of the stations usually have save data before the tournament. So if someone plays that character...they have to speed run story mode to unlock them so they're selectable to play in the tournament.

MK9 - Cyber Sub and Quan Chi
MKX - Shinnok
INJ2 - Brainiac

All required a story mode speed run for tournament use.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me

Only reason I wanted unlockables was so that there was a chance Mileena would be in. But I've already accepted the fact that Mileena isn't going to be in. So I'm unbothered. At this point I just want to see Kitana. If I feel the need to have Mileena's presence in the game I'll put Kitana in purple and call it a fckn day.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't know why people were expecting Mileena and other characters to be "secret" unlocks. When the character roster leaked, I thought it had a decent chance of happening because a text leak came out before it that got the character roster right, but also said there were secret unlocks.

But it didn't take long for info to come out that the text leaker was probably just making things up, and since then all evidence as been against it. No achievements mentioning the characters, Ed and other members of the team saying the game will launch with 25 multiple times OFFICIALLY, then Shang Tsung was announced as DLC even though the leaker said he was a secret unlockable. And so on.

Mileena has a pretty good shot at being DLC, but anyone still expecting secret characters after everything that has happened -- including this tweet -- is setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
Oh wait now I saw the whole tweet. The guy mentions Tyler, but was Paulo Garcia who talked about secret characters.

I still believe there won't be anything secret at this point but this is something to notice.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Point being....
In a tournament setting if you main an unlockable character, that character has to be unlocked before it can be used in tournament. None of the stations usually have save data before the tournament. So if someone plays that character...they have to speed run story mode to unlock them so they're selectable to play in the tournament.

MK9 - Cyber Sub and Quan Chi
MKX - Shinnok
INJ2 - Brainiac

All required a story mode speed run for tournament use.
I see your point but, like... really. It's not like Scorpion or Sub-Zero are locked. We're talking really niche characters, usually extremely low tier. You have 25 more characters to choose from!

Reactions: Zev

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
I mean, you were repeatedly told flat out there were 25 characters at launch. I don't really have any sympathy for people who willfully chose to ignore that because a nameless person on Gamefaqs said Mileena was unlockable.
But we were also told by Paulo that there were secret characters.

But please continue to go awf.

It's not like we were pulling the idea of secret characters out of our asses after he'd literally said that in response to a question about unlockable secret characters. And not to forget that MK9, MKX, and Injustice 2 all had an unlockable character.

So where's your point?

Zaccel

Noob
I see your point but, like... really. It's not like Scorpion or Sub-Zero are locked. We're talking really niche characters, usually extremely low tier. You have 25 more characters to choose from!
Why should a player be punished for liking a niche character? Why should they have to pick someone else due to an unnecessary practice? It's not like people are deliberately playing low-tier; they're trying to play who they like and are good with.