What's new

Match-up Discussion Nightwing Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasblackman

The struggle is real
I'm running into a few really good Shazams online that I have no idea how to deal with, mostly because they are the only shazams I've ever seen and they're amazing. Any advice?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Never respect his teleport. If he teleports, check him with staff standing one or D1.

Staff makes his offense hard to get rolling. It will just be a matter of blocking his crossups and dealing with his teleport/wakeups. Once you are in on Shazam, you easily get to lock him down.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Just met a Catwoman player with a lot of tricks.

Catwoman's B3 is as fast as NW's B2....that just doesnt make sense to me at all.
wut
She can do B3 after her combo string is blocked and the advantage is that B3 moves her out of getting hit with B2 or 33 by NW
not really sure what you mean. if you mean she finishes a string and then does b3 after it, I'm pretty sure that standing 1 will beat it out. if you're talking about bounce cancelling then idk what to tell you, just respect it I guess.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Her b3 goes under his 1. The 1 whiffs.

I was wondering what was up because I was eating B3 without even the MB. I just happen to bump into a really good Catwoman player, but it made me aware of the possibility of CW launching you after blocking her strings. I normally read those B3 pretty well, but her's happen to beat my B2 and I was wondering what gives.

33 was working better as a punish at the moment.

My F2 is butt, but I'll try to use it in the next MU

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I feel your frustration.
I never counter picked, I just keep trying to understand what I'm missing in the match-up. Winning to me is irrelevant if I'm not improving. But I totally understand your reason for counter picking and think it's fair. It's that frustrating of a match up to do so. Good job.

I believe HG jails NW a lot with her MB Mace Charge followed by a D1 for added pressure. If you can block those strings successfully throughout the game, it'll be an easier match for NW. Now the matter of the match up is responsibility of letting HG waste her trait(most HG players dont even know how to use it).

Dodging her Mace ariel attack is fair game, Superman lasers are harder. If you see her whiff and miss one mace throw, come dash in but avoid her leg drop from the skin (I like to dash in to the point my body is behind hers) I go in for a J3 with Wing because she has to come down from Flying and she's 100% free and vulnerable at the instinct moment, but it doesn't last for long so take that opportunity thats there for a free 20% damage.

Respect her wake ups at all times.

This isn't the guide to beating Hawkgirl because I struggle too my friend, I'm learning it and trying to solve what's safe and unsafe.

I beat Trepound who's a tournament Hawkgirl player pretty fairy, it went 2-1 in favor of my Dick.

Hopefully you can find something in the lab for the Grayson community, we all could use it in the future. Hawkgirl players think Nightwing is easy money, we must make them think again.
I'm going to be playing Trepound a lot and ill need some tips. He usually bodies me with Grundy. And I foresee NW being similar

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I'm going to be playing Trepound a lot and ill need some tips. He usually bodies me with Grundy. And I foresee NW being similar

I think that's probably Grundy's worse match up in the game along with BA and Supes. But theres always a solution to Hawkgirl's madness. Just the level of difficult is really intense because you'll literally have to be perfect with Solomon. good luck bro. I would lend Grundy some wingdings if I could.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I think that's probably Grundy's worse match up in the game along with BA and Supes. But theres always a solution to Hawkgirl's madness. Just the level of difficult is really intense because you'll literally have to be perfect with Solomon. good luck bro. I would lend Grundy some wingdings if I could.
Grundy/NW is 5-5. It could be slightly in Grundy's favor actually, but I'd call it 5-5.

I also did a write up on Catwoman earlier in this thread for whoever needed it. Her b3 lowers her hitbox to avoid lots of NW's pressure, so you have to play patient and expect it. I wish we had our matchups better sorted, so I didn't have to write out stuff about characters and have it disappear, only to be brought up again a few days later.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I meant with NW. Uppercut isn't working and j3 is hard to time

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I meant with NW. Uppercut isn't working and j3 is hard to time

Grundy has the most awkward uppercut in the game, NW's J3 has a long hitbox, I'm sure your best bet is to stand block it. Not work the risk to put yourself in a crouching position because a J3 + wingdings is at least 21% damage. Stand blocking it will put you in the position where you want to be against NW. You want to stand block most of the time until you see NW in Staff where he can get you low for a 30% combo. Escrima D3 is easily readable and avoidable.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Grundy/NW is 5-5. It could be slightly in Grundy's favor actually, but I'd call it 5-5.

I also did a write up on Catwoman earlier in this thread for whoever needed it. Her b3 lowers her hitbox to avoid lots of NW's pressure, so you have to play patient and expect it. I wish we had our matchups better sorted, so I didn't have to write out stuff about characters and have it disappear, only to be brought up again a few days later.

I got it 6-4 for NW, I never had a problem with Grundy. Maybe I need to find a tougher Grundy player.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I got it 6-4 for NW, I never had a problem with Grundy. Maybe I need to find a tougher Grundy player.
If the Grundy player is letting you do anything of the following, he isn't real:

Abuse wing dings, Grundy doesn't struggle with these at all really (Tyrant even backdashes MB wing ding if he feels like it)

Not hit for at least 50% everytime he touches you

Mb walking corpse into 50/50 game that can also reverse wakeups

Anti air every jump you try to do, including staff

Punish every interactable you try to use

Punish you for 50% if you ever forget you can't do mb staff spin on him

Make you respect 112 cancels until you prove you know how to get out

The NW/Grundy matchup isn't even close to one of Grundy's worst. That's just a common misconception from early play. If you want to watch a bit of Tyrant and myself playing, then here is this.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
If the Grundy player is letting you do anything of the following, he isn't real:

Abuse wing dings, Grundy doesn't struggle with these at all really (Tyrant even backdashes MB wing ding if he feels like it)

The NW/Grundy matchup isn't even close to one of Grundy's worst. That's just a common misconception from early play. If you want to watch a bit of Tyrant and myself playing, then here is this.

Those Grundy cancels are sick. But I didn't see anything the video about wing dings or jumps, mostly ground sparks. I'd like to play him or anyone close to his level. I didn't say the Grundy matchup was one of Grundy's worst. I was mentioning Hawkgirl, not NW. I still think it's 6-4.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

I have respect for your NW. Plying both Grundy and NW...I approve this message

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Those Grundy cancels are sick. But I didn't see anything the video about wing dings or jumps, mostly ground sparks. I'd like to play him or anyone close to his level. I didn't say the Grundy matchup was one of Grundy's worst. I was mentioning Hawkgirl, not NW. I still think it's 6-4.
Unfortunately the video is only 3 matches, so you can't get a true sense of how well Grundy can shut down NW. I've played at least 100 matches with Tyrant's Grundy, and when's on point he doesn't let me get away with anything that I mentioned above. There are very few Grundy's that can replicate that level of play right now, but a couple are really close.

The more you play with experienced Grundy's, the more you realize how threatening this character really is.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
Once my scene starts streaming again, I can stream me playing our local Hawkgirl player, and if people have specific questions the two of us can probably go over it after the set or something.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Unfortunately the video is only 3 matches, so you can't get a true sense of how well Grundy can shut down NW. I've played at least 100 matches with Tyrant's Grundy, and when's on point he doesn't let me get away with anything that I mentioned above. There are very few Grundy's that can replicate that level of play right now, but a couple are really close.

The more you play with experienced Grundy's, the more you realize how threatening this character really is.

I think anyone can shut anyone down with the right game plan and proper reads. I can see where Grundy is difficult to read with cancels and MBs. Shout out to Tryant, but he's just one dude and shouldn't define every Grundy player on the universe. Not every Superman player plays like KDZ, nor is every Grundy player going to play like Tyrant. They're still real players and represent the demographic of those maining those characters.

I believe the everyday SG player going against the everyday NW player will tend to favor NW at 6-4 just from my experience from playing and watching the match up on PSN. At highest levels, I guess it's probably close to 5-5, but then again it's hard to confirm that theres a true sense because this game is new, the Grundy community may discover new tech that will totally shut NW down and the NW community may find a plan to keep Grundy in check.

I personally enjoy playing Grundy, whatever their experience is and I look forward to future match ups because it's one of the most contrasting match ups between Nightwing's acrobatic and gadgets vs Grundy's precision grappling

Status
Not open for further replies.