What's new

Strategy Nightwing General Discussion (1.06 and on)

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
you know what i love about NW, its the constant pressure he can while moving forward for instance this is what i love doing and so far it has worked wonders to my game..

NW frame traps are among the best in the game and the hardest to block the mixup that follows, when we talk about Nw escrima we dont say 50-50s we say 50-50x3+another 50-50 if you know what i mean XD NW can eazly jail you with traps and mix ups that you probably wont be able to block unless you know the matchup very very VERY WELL... my aprouch so far has been as follows, D1 F213 mix up, D12 33 mix up D1 F213 spark cancel foward repeat or D1 F213 spark cancel foward D12 33 mixup, D12 33 Spark (if it hits) 33 mix up or spark dashes...
even tho some ppl dont like to do the following one, i think its great and some characters simply cant do much about it: after your block string Spark back dash into a B2, from the B2 use your mixup of choise some examples ( spark33, spark dash cancels, backflips )

another thing i love to do is frustrate my opponent with smart run away zonning ( obviously this doesnt work with everyone but the ones that it does the result is 100% in your favor) a frustrated opponent is an opponent that is bound to make a mistake... specially online most ppl are hot heads and reckless and if they get zonned out they get impatience and they make mistakes, usually this costs them the match but note be them pro players or online scrubs any frustrated player will make mistakes... NW is probably one of the best to capitalize on said mistakes...

i think my constant forward moving NW gameplay comes from previous games where i played characters with this style and they where amazing... i played Guy in SSFAE ( he can do strings into run cancels for those not familier) in UMVC3 my team all had dashing atacks and flight so i guess i just love to keep moving foward while mixing ppl up
Guy has been my main in SF since I996 when I was 8 at the arcades in the pizzerias . I love him.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I think U3 is an interesting tool, but I dunno if I would ever give up a better mixup and try to make it crossup mid screen. Maybe on a low life opponent, or if it crushed/dodged 100% of wakeups and let us punish.

It's really strong in the corner for creating 50/50's though. I pretty much use that or b2 everytime I get a knockdown near the corner to setup some ambiguous situations.

Side note: I feel like TYM's header should say, "It's NRS lol" because that sums up so much of this game.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
10f.

quickest starter for a punisher is 113

F2(10f) or d1 9(9f) have the best range for speed ratio.

B2 to catch unsafe things at a distance.

I like doing 113 for it's quickness but I feel it whiffs on smaller characters sometimes. I feel like D1 has a little more range and B2 is the shit for range. I always try to look for 113 but it depends on the character because I hate whiffing.

I get jealous of Batman because most of his normals are superior to NW

http://testyourmight.com/wiki/index.php/Batman

Looking at frame data, I feel silly for mentioning scatterbombs because it's apparently 5 frames (doesn't feel like it) and it has the best block advantage and recovery than any other special attack for NW in Escrima.

I remember there was a video showing how to use SB as an effective tool, I gotta look for it again. I would like to mix it into my combos and strategy. Just to have something new in the bag of tricks.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
I only punish with 113 if im directly in someones face. like if lantern dose b13, rockets I dash in and do 113 EF

gpmoney

I usually dash and do f213.

I like it when GL players do close rocket. It gives me a chance to finally hit like a grown ass man.
F2 never comes out for me :\ no clue why lol he dose standing 2 for some reason, when I slow it down and try it I do it too slow.

gpmoney

also dose anyone else have trouble performing some confirms after the patch? I was playing with Mello and we both have an issue with escrima B2 into 33 or B2 into EF, I have trouble in the corner doing MB staff spin, d1, 1f1, d2, staff spinEX, d1, staff spin <-- I literally cant do this combo anymore. as far as the b2 confirms NW either whiffs EF or jus stands there.@ XxM3LLoxX says when he tries to do staff switch into Flying grayson NE just switch and sits there or his strings dont come out. Anyone else feeling any type of difference?

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
also dose anyone else have trouble performing some confirms after the patch? I was playing with Mello and we both have an issue with escrima B2 into 33 or B2 into EF, I have trouble in the corner doing MB staff spin, d1, 1f1, d2, staff spinEX, d1, staff spin <-- I literally cant do this combo anymore. as far as the b2 confirms NW either whiffs EF or jus stands there.@ XxM3LLoxX says when he tries to do staff switch into Flying grayson NE just switch and sits there or his strings dont come out. Anyone else feeling any type of difference?
Huh, I hadn't noticed anything different. My b2 confirms feel the same.

Combos after mb staff spin in the corner feel a tad easier in most situations, but I haven't tried that particular variation of his corner bnb yet post patch. Stance cancel FG feels no different either. It might be the fact that I play on alternate control though, and use stick instead of pad.

gpmoney

Huh, I hadn't noticed anything different. My b2 confirms feel the same.

Combos after mb staff spin in the corner feel a tad easier in most situations, but I haven't tried that particular variation of his corner bnb yet post patch. Stance cancel FG feels no different either. It might be the fact that I play on alternate control though, and use stick instead of pad.
could be the controls. that's my corner Bnb for landing d1 staff spin and I feel as If its slower. I have to cut it short and take 36 instead of 41% because the last ex staffspin misses everytime. I pulled it of 1 time randomly after the patch and could never do it. we had a local ranbat here in MI and Perfect legends showed up and said some people have been saying this to about the game in general when I asked about it. if you watch the randbat mello and I where struggling to punish and he was dropping bnbs.... Mello never drops combo :0 lol. I played alucarD/irako seigen and every time he did d1 trait sword I tried to d1 him out of it and nothing happened night wing just stood there.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
could be the controls. that's my corner Bnb for landing d1 staff spin and I feel as If its slower. I have to cut it short and take 36 instead of 41% because the last ex staffspin misses everytime. I pulled it of 1 time randomly after the patch and could never do it. we had a local ranbat here in MI and Perfect legends showed up and said some people have been saying this to about the game in general when I asked about it. if you watch the randbat mello and I where struggling to punish and he was dropping bnbs.... Mello never drops combo :0 lol. I played alucarD/irako seigen and every time he did d1 trait sword I tried to d1 him out of it and nothing happened night wing just stood there.
Were you guys playing on PS3?

Bnbs differ in timing pretty significantly for me on Xbox/Ps3. I usually have to practice for a bit on one console to get used to it.

gpmoney

Were you guys playing on PS3?

Bnbs differ in timing pretty significantly for me on Xbox/Ps3. I usually have to practice for a bit on one console to get used to it.
360 with ASUS monitors, we never play ps3

gpmoney

Then you are smarter than us.

Playing on PS3 is like playing on XBL.
oh god no lol XBL is sooo bad. I actually first noticed the problem on xbl. I was in online training and couldn't do the corner BNB. I thought it was xbl so I went offline and samething I have to cut the combo short so I do MB staffspin, d1, 1 f1, d2 staff spin instead of MB staffspin, d1, 1 f1, d2 MB staff spin d1 staff spin.

Joker's Shoes

Now Simply Extraordinaire

I've found B2 EF and corner D1 into Staff Spin after a MB Staff Spin a little tricky after the patch when I was always easily able to do these.

Cosmic_Castaway

Flying Grayson
NightwingDayZero Oh no. D: Best of luck in finding a way to make it, I guess.

Sajam As far as I know, the games are starting on Saturday. Injustice took forever to start at Summer Jam though, so let's hope there's not a repeat of that catastrophe.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Had the pleasure of playin XxM3LLOxX today. Sadly i was in and out of the matches due to a clan battle -_-. Anyway, mellows nightwing is very strong and tricky. Lots of original mix ups and rushdown. Can't wait to run a set again dude. Hopefully tmrw.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Hey everyone im just starting to play nightwing anyone have any advice for me staring out? My go to is using 3,3 flip kick as a mix up and i act like the staff doesn't exist lol