What's new

Strategy Nightwing General Discussion (1.06 and on)

Joker's Shoes

Now Simply Extraordinaire
Are there any NW moves that are essentially considered redundant/unnecessary? As in, are there any moves of his that you just plain don't use either because they're simply not good or because there's a better alternative?

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Are there any NW moves that are essentially considered redundant/unnecessary? As in, are there any moves of his that you just plain don't use either because they're simply not good or because there's a better alternative?

D3 in Escrima and Scatterbombs....even though the past couple of games I've been playing I pulled some MB Scatterbombs as an anti air but I only used this if I made a really good read. Such a weird special attack.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
Escrima U3 and U~D3 you can do D12, U3 and catch people off guard.

gpmoney

We need to explore the midscreen crossups with it more. There has to be more damaging way to set it up.
there is but it has strict timing. Mello did f213, EF, F3, dash under, 223 ran up and did U3 for a corpse hop set up. I haven't found much outside of the corner. People like to mash buttons too much T~T my dick gets no respect

Joker's Shoes

How about in terms of starters? I see a lot of 113 and F213 but very little B112. Wondering if it's because B112 is inferior to its counterparts or not.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
there is but it has strict timing. Mello did f213, EF, F3, dash under, 223 ran up and did U3 for a corpse hop set up. I haven't found much outside of the corner. People like to mash buttons too much T~T my dick gets no respect

well, each splat is a WW esque 50 50 between the hop, and another u3/U3d3

gpmoney

How about in terms of starters? I see a lot of 113 and F213 but very little B112. Wondering if it's because B112 is inferior to its counterparts or not.
B11 is good but its kinda slow. NW can get a combo starter after anything but its all about start up frames. if its not fast enough to punish with ext.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I might see if I can find something a little better today midscreen for the U3 shenanigans. If we can set something up for f3 that would be even better but I find it hops to far over in most cases.

gpmoney

well, each splat is a WW esque 50 50 between the hop, and another u3/U3d3
its really hard for me to use U3 not saying its useless but It dose not fit my Nw play style. My nightwing is hot and nasty lol wild like an animal. Im changing my game play though. I'm a marvel player so Im use to speed and pressing buttons T~T its a hard habit to break

Joker's Shoes

B11 is good but its kinda slow.

I ask because I tend to use that one to punish blocked attacks (I'm holding back anyway). It seems to have a tad more range than some others. Anyone know if it's best for punishing? Should I be using F213 or 113 instead? Goddamn escrima has no range.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
its really hard for me to use U3 not saying its useless but It dose not fit my Nw play style. My nightwing is hot and nasty lol wild like an animal. Im changing my game play though. I'm a marvel player so Im use to speed and pressing buttons T~T its a hard habit to break

once you play someone who pushblocks and runs away, the setups come in real handy.

gpmoney

I ask because I tend to use that one to punish blocked attacks (I'm holding back anyway). It seems to have a tad more range than some others. Anyone know if it's best for punishing? Should I be using F213 or 113 instead? Goddamn escrima has no range.
The Idea of punishing is to take as much damage as possible for your opponents mistakes. however nightwing is a character that can end all of his combos into a set up( especially in escrima) I personally punish with D12 or F213 and end the combo in 113, B2 Spark cancel or staff spin. this gives you set ups for more damage. NW has good punish game and you Will wind up scaring your opponent after punishing them. Make them fear your Dick lol

Noob
you know what i love about NW, its the constant pressure he can while moving forward for instance this is what i love doing and so far it has worked wonders to my game..

NW frame traps are among the best in the game and the hardest to block the mixup that follows, when we talk about Nw escrima we dont say 50-50s we say 50-50x3+another 50-50 if you know what i mean XD NW can eazly jail you with traps and mix ups that you probably wont be able to block unless you know the matchup very very VERY WELL... my aprouch so far has been as follows, D1 F213 mix up, D12 33 mix up D1 F213 spark cancel foward repeat or D1 F213 spark cancel foward D12 33 mixup, D12 33 Spark (if it hits) 33 mix up or spark dashes...
even tho some ppl dont like to do the following one, i think its great and some characters simply cant do much about it: after your block string Spark back dash into a B2, from the B2 use your mixup of choise some examples ( spark33, spark dash cancels, backflips )

another thing i love to do is frustrate my opponent with smart run away zonning ( obviously this doesnt work with everyone but the ones that it does the result is 100% in your favor) a frustrated opponent is an opponent that is bound to make a mistake... specially online most ppl are hot heads and reckless and if they get zonned out they get impatience and they make mistakes, usually this costs them the match but note be them pro players or online scrubs any frustrated player will make mistakes... NW is probably one of the best to capitalize on said mistakes...

i think my constant forward moving NW gameplay comes from previous games where i played characters with this style and they where amazing... i played Guy in SSFAE ( he can do strings into run cancels for those not familier) in UMVC3 my team all had dashing atacks and flight so i guess i just love to keep moving foward while mixing ppl up

Joker's Shoes

The Idea of punishing is to take as much damage as possible for your opponents mistakes. however nightwing is a character that can end all of his combos into a set up( especially in escrima) I personally punish with D12 or F213 and end the combo in 113, B2 Spark cancel or staff spin. this gives you set ups for more damage. NW has good punish game and you Will wind up scaring your opponent after punishing them. Make them fear your Dick lol

Makes sense. I'm just looking for the most effective starter for punishing in terms of speed and range. I've found myself whiffing punish attempts that should have been free damage. I always try to end in something that sets up for yet another combo and/or better positioning for myself.

gpmoney

Makes sense. I'm just looking for the most effective starter for punishing in terms of speed and range. I've found myself whiffing punish attempts that should have been free damage. I always try to end in something that sets up for yet another combo and/or better positioning for myself.
in that case D12 and F213 are your best punishes. I recommend the Sajam tech to get nice set ups but its whatever you are comfy with. I believe F213 is a 7-8 frame start up

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
in that case D12 and F213 are your best punishes. I recommend the Sajam tech to get nice set ups but its whatever you are comfy with. I believe F213 is a 7-8 frame start up

10f.

quickest starter for a punisher is 113

F2(10f) or d1 9(9f) have the best range for speed ratio.

B2 to catch unsafe things at a distance.

Joker's Shoes

10f.

quickest starter for a punisher is 113

F2(10f) or d1 9(9f) have the best range for speed ration.

B2 to catch unsafe things at a distance.

Seems like F213 is the best overall option. Figure I'll learn what blocked/whiffed opponent moves require a faster startup through experience.

On a side note, F2 is 10f but for F213 it says it's 8f start up.

http://testyourmight.com/wiki/index.php/Nightwing

Do the same moves receive different properties based on whether or not they're part of a string? Or is this just a copy of (what I've been told is) the poorly made frame data straight from the game's menu?

Appreciate the help, gents.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Seems like F213 is the best overall option. Figure I'll learn what blocked/whiffed opponent moves require a faster startup through experience.

On a side note, F2 is 10f but for F213 it says it's 8f start up.

http://testyourmight.com/wiki/index.php/Nightwing

Do the same moves receive different properties based on whether or not they're part of a string? Or is this just a copy of (what I've been told is) the poorly made frame data straight from the game's menu?

Appreciate the help, gents.

The way NRS did the frame data is this. Anytime you see a combo string, the frame data (startup) is for the last hit in that string. For instance. F213 says 8f. That means the 3 in f213 will take 8f to come out.

F2 has a startup of 10f. F213 therefore has a 10f startup.

Joker's Shoes

The way NRS did the frame data is this. Anytime you see a combo string, the frame data (startup) is for the last hit in that string. For instance. F213 says 8f. That means the 3 in f213 will take 8f to come out.

F2 has a startup of 10f. F213 therefore has a 10f startup.

So it's the latter. Thanks.

Why the hell would they do that