What's new

New character reveal + first DLC character reveal on Friday at C2E2!

It's only "damned if they do, damned if they dont" because NRS decided to turn the roster itself into a marketing campaign, and drag fans through coals just to find out whether their favorite characters will be in the game.

It's one thing to try to pimp out the dlc when we already know exactly what's in the game. It's another to do it while, for example, thousands of Mileena fans are still biting their nails not knowing whether she's in the game, and if she's not, not knowing what that means for her chances to even be dlc.

NRS marketing is professional playing with fire. It gets them word of mouth like no other, but it also burns them for decisions they walked into deliberately.
Well said. To me the real kicker is that most of the roster is hardly surprising (even if it wasn't leaked). Johnny Cage is in the game? Wow, blow us out of the water will ya. Waiting so long to officially debut Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana and Jax is equally worthy of a headscratch. Why be so secretive about the selection if it's so pedestrian? What is getting everyone excited about the characters is how well executed their design is, and even NRS is acknowledging this by calling gameplay reveals 'character reveals' even though they've been previously revealed in a render. Boon must also be hating all the constant bitching from Mileena fans, Rain stans, etc. And, of course, leaks will always get to it first; if they hate them so much, they might consider doing something about it and, uh, adapting by taking power away from them??? Really wish the NRS marketing team would shift their focus next time around from "who's in the game?" to "how cool are they in the game?" When all is said and done and the game is out, that's what truly matters.

D

Deleted member 59910

I believe they’ll show Kollector. About dlc: I don’t want guests, but that’s not an option tho. So, I would be very happy if the guest was Schwarzenegger as Terminator. Spawn is a good guest too. I want Sindel and Nightwolf as fan favorites returning characters. I’m a very kind boy and deserve my dreams come true. :oops:

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I'm hyped only for the character reveal and the story-mode scenes.

The DLC is a guest, so I'm not getting hyped over that.

Talking about animating CHAINs like hellraiser, I think it would be awesome if there was a netherrealm Oni character who can do that stuff with the animated chains! Really not only Hellraiser does that shit, also the Kytons from Dungeons and Dragons, and even mythology creatures like the Osschaart from Dutch/Belgian myths and Jack-in-Irons, a giant covered in chains from English folklore.

Would be cool for a oni, and awesome fatalities.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I adore Pinhead as a character, but I've never understood the appeal of him as a fighter. Can you really imagine Pinhead doing a jump kick? His weird gothic dress flailing in the wind, you can see his panties.

Yeah, didn't know if that was in bad taste or not. Figured it's a video version of a long post.

But now I know.

I'll never post a video on here again.
No worries, it's really not that big of a deal and I'm not trying to blow up your spot. Can't speak for other users or this forum as a whole but from my own experience, self-promoting is usually looked down upon (other than putting your channel in your signature or bio).

It's only "damned if they do, damned if they dont" because NRS decided to turn the roster itself into a marketing campaign, and drag fans through coals ... Thousands of Mileena fans are still biting their nails not knowing whether she's in the game, and if she's not, not knowing what that means for her chances to even be dlc.
This is so melodramatic. I love MK but if y'all are literally chewing your nails in fervour over a bunch of pixels then y'all need to relax.

A friendly reminder to everyone, NRS doesn't owe you anything. Buy it or don't. They'll still make buckets.

I think their marketing team sleeps pretty well at night considering they're the only fighting game with a AAA budget that makes the money back in sales.

In terms of DLC, I'm predicting Spawn. And hoping to see more of The Kollector.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
This is so melodramatic. I love MK but if y'all are literally chewing your nails in fervour over a bunch of pixels then y'all need to relax.
You completely misunderstood my point, and the tone of my comment.

I'm not whining. I am not judging NRS or criticizing them. I am simply pointing out that they made a deliberate choice in selecting their marketing strategy, and that strategy came with risks and rewards. Chances are high they will reap all the rewards and none of the risks. But if the risk turns real, and let's say they wind up eating some nasty PR, then they will have absolutely no one to blame but themselves for taking a calculated risk that did not pay off. That's all I'm saying. If their marketing is a huge success, that's on them. If their marketing turns against them, that's on them too.

You completely misunderstood my point, and the tone of my comment.

I'm not whining. I am not judging NRS or criticizing them. I am simply pointing out that they made a deliberate choice in selecting their marketing strategy, and that strategy came with risks and rewards. Chances are high they will reap all the rewards and none of the risks. But if the risk turns real, and let's say they wind up eating some nasty PR, then they will have absolutely no one to blame but themselves for taking a calculated risk that did not pay off. That's all I'm saying. If their marketing is a huge success, that's on them. If their marketing turns against them, that's on them too.
What nasty PR could possibly come of their marketing strategy though? Everything they're currently doing is nothing new of the industry and essentially the same as they did with X.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
What nasty PR could possibly come of their marketing strategy though? Everything they're currently doing is nothing new of the industry and essentially the same as they did with X.
For example, if a large number of people feel misled by the fact that the online bio page showed 29 roster spots at the same time that we were told, in the most vague terms possible, that there will be secret characters in MK11. In the unlikely event that this leads to a PR disaster, then it all comes back to "well if they didn't try to pimp out the launch roster one character at a time for maximum exposure, none of this would have happened."

Again, to be clear, I'm not interested in how likely or unlikely any outcome is. Just that A leads to B. They made their bed with the slow roster reveal schedule and they have to sleep in it. If it's a bed made of money, good for them. And good for us too, in fact.

Hopefully you get where I'm coming from and we can close this tangent.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Reguardless if the Marvel vs DC dilemma. I want Deadpool and Spawn in MK11 but mostly I'm hoping for some returning characters to fill those empty seats. It's my last ditch effort to get Mileena, Smoke, Reptile, Fujin, Shang Tsung and Cyrax/Sektor even though I don't think the robots will make it in (crying on the floor).

Who does everyone want as the Returning DLC Characters?
How many guests vs classics do you think there will be?
I'm thinking half and half maybe or 8 classic, 4 Guests.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Would someone please let me know what C2E2 is and where is the stream information?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Man, it makes me sad that so many people what Spawn. I mean what a absolute fucking terrible idea for MK that character is. it is my personal sincere hope this NEVER happens and even if it does it should be in the COMIC game they make... as in Injustice... not MK.

Spawn is DC comics
Spawn is IMAGE Comics.... nothing to do with DC or Marvel.