What's new

"Must I remind you of my superiority?" - Lex Luthor General Discussion (Version 1.06)

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
All this talk about combos....

Am I only the only one who just tries to win by covering the screen in as much shit as possible? :rolleyes:
No, I do that too. However, it's not foolproof. By learning & using combos along with the proper setups & mix-ups as well as learning how to read your opponent quickly while also having a strong defense is how you can make your game far better.

Galactic Geek

Galactic Geek You can add more damage if you B3, Ji3, 21~BGB
I've practiced this for over an hour & have only been able to pull this off twice within that time-frame (& I did this offline with no lag to boot). As I said before, the timing is so strict it's not really worth doing. I would watch the inputs on the side of the screen read the proper inputs but the animations would either show Lex throw out a 11 or nothing at all. Can anyone else do this with regularity, because I personally don't think the game allows for it consistently enough...

Thead

Noob
Galactic Geek

Just got in n turned the console on.

Sorry about shitty filming, had to hold camera between my knees and try to play.

It adds roughly 4-5% damage, so if you're struggling to get it consistently stick with what works 100% of the time for you.

Edit: Ji2, 21~BGB is just as easy as Ji2, 2~BGB and does 2% more damage.

rev0lver, juicepouch, LtLuthor, & x5STAR.

It's not foolproof because as I mentioned earlier, there are ways to get past the close gravity mine, but here's a great "infinite" setup against average players who likely won't know how to properly counter it (& it may work great against good players for a couple of resets too):

Perform the following steps:
1. 4 (energy shield) - just for good measure
2. b3
3. ji2
4. 2
5. BGB (background bounce)
6. dd3b (close gravity mine)
7. crossover (jump over opponent to the other side)
8. repeat from #2.
This is really great :)

I think I have a way to make this guaranteed, literally, a full reset (well, at least ULTRA hard to block.) against certain characters who don't have a certain wake-up option.

However it requires two things

1) The Lex player has trait active (even if it is level 1, it will work)
2) The enemy does not have a multi-hitting wakeup that can tear through shields (Sinestro, for example)

Here's a video of it:

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Idk if this was known yet I searched everywhere but couldn't find it anyway
; apparently of you push block Lex it will nullify his shield! At first I thought this was huge hit to Lex but after experimenting with it a lil bit I found out lex shield gets taken away but lex is never pushed back so he can still punish the opponent while their still recovering for example if you do 112 w/ lex if they pushblock the first hits the 2 will still hit them same thing with 22d1.havent tried b12 yet.

I'll be surprised if this is actually new but it seems the only time you should use this is when Lex is doing ji3 or d3 and single hitting normal that puts Lex at a distance so he can't punish you but he might be Able to corpcharge after again I didn't test this extensively but I know you guys will do a better job a I dropped Lex about a week ago appreciate any feedback please reply:)

Galactic Geek

This is really great :)

I think I have a way to make this guaranteed, literally, a full reset (well, at least ULTRA hard to block.) against certain characters who don't have a certain wake-up option.

However it requires two things

1) The Lex player has trait active (even if it is level 1, it will work)
2) The enemy does not have a multi-hitting wakeup that can tear through shields (Sinestro, for example)

Here's a video of it:

LtLuthor,
Did you really already forget that I was the one that discovered that tech and shared it with you guys? *sigh*

This is how you make feel right now, LtLuthor:
Rodney Dangerfield said:
"No respect! No respect at all, I tell ya!"
:(

I suppose you could do f2, db2MB after they hit the mine & before the b3 (the tech that I discovered & that I believe you're alluding to), but then you will lose the "infinite" aspect of it, although I admit it would be safer.

LtLuthor,
Did you really already forget that I was the one that discovered that tech and shared it with you guys? *sigh*

This is how you make feel right now, LtLuthor:

:(

I suppose you could do f2, db2MB after they hit the mine & before the b3 (the tech that I discovered & that I believe you're alluding to), but then you risk losing the "infinite" aspect of it.
Galactic Geek

Sorry if that's the case, I never remember seeing that before- can you link me to the original post you had for it?

Are you sure you are talking about the 2,2,D+1 hard-to-block setup?

I think you might have something different- since in this setup, you don't have to use db2MB to continue the combo. You are right next to them when the 2,2,D+1 pushes them into the mine, so you can do a crossup j2, then combo them into another background bounce.

Galactic Geek

Galactic Geek

Sorry if that's the case, I never remember seeing that before- can you link me to the original post you had for it?

Are you sure you are talking about the 2,2,D+1 hard-to-block setup?

I think you might have something different- since in this setup, you don't have to use db2MB to continue the combo. You are right next to them when the 2,2,D+1 pushes them into the mine, so you can do a crossup j2, then combo them into another background bounce.
I'm not talking about the 22d1 hard to block setup (although it is my favorite basic combo to use with Lex). I was referring to the BGB into dd3b followed by f2, db2MB with trait which is almost completely safe (except against quick, multiple hitting wake-ups).

Also, the video you showed above isn't a good idea. The opponent can obviously block your combo & can push-block it; even if the push-block puts them on the mine, they should be able to see it coming and low-block it in time.

It'll take me some time to find the original post where i introduced the tech...

Thead,
A key difference between you & me that I noticed from your video is that I use a standard Xbox 360 controller, not an arcade stick like you (& many others). This may be why I am finding it difficult to pull of the combo you're suggesting.

Thead

Noob
Some of the corner shenanigans Lex can do after the U3~Corp Charge Hard Knockdown:

I probably should of voiced over some of that, but for newer players every Corp Charge in this video safely leads into Trait. With Trait active and the Corpse Charge Knockdown, MB Orbital Strike/Full Charged Lance Blast are safe from all but Supers. Some wakeups can avoid these setups, Zatana Teleport for example.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Wow, I found it pretty quickly actually... It's on page 5 of the combo thread, which can be found here:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/lex-luthor-combo-thread.30920/page-5
It's a joint discussion between myself, Rev0lver, and uhfutzafooken.
Oh, no I remember that.

I'm only referring to the 22,d+1 hard-to-block setup. Read the description in the video, I actually mention exactly where I got the BGB mine idea from.

Of course, they can push-block the 22,d+1. But they can pushblock the crossup after the mine as well. If you do a close mine and then a crossup jump, they block the mine low, then block the crossup, and the timing isn't too difficult at all- the bright side is you get a free 50/50 with your crossup, but thats something that can be pushblocked no differently.

The 2,2,d+1 hard-to-block is generally what I'm referring to as the "tech" in the video.

Anyway, I'm expirimenting with different ways to use the 2,2,D+1 hard-to-block setup.

As it turns out, you can make it so the D+1 overhead hits AFTER the mine, or slightly more before the mine, depending on the starter.

A b13, gravpull, b3, j2, b2, BGB, grav-mine, 2,2,D+1 causes pretty much the optimum "Earthshake" effect. Where the low and overhead happen almost at the EXACT same time, 2 frames apart at most. An f2 starter, however, changes up the timing in an odd way- unfortunately, it will make it so the 2,2,d+1 will actually launch the enemy OVER the mine.

There are also other ways to mix it up, such as cancel 2,2, into corp charge. The startup difference between a d+1 ender for 22 and a corp-charge cancel is pretty substantial, so if they are expecting the d+1 at the end instead of Corp Charge, the won't block the mine in time either :)

Thead

Noob
Thead,
A key difference between you & me that I noticed from your video is that I use a standard Xbox 360 controller, not an arcade stick like you (& many others). This may be why I am finding it difficult to pull of the combo you're suggesting.

I use a fight pad, which is essentially the same as a standard Xbox control but with a bigger DPad. Stick/control will have 0 affect on the timing of combos. :p

Galactic Geek

LtLuthor,
I don't generally read the descriptions of embedded videos unless it's in the forum post itself. Your method is similar to mine - they both involve BGB into mine followed by an overhead. Yours is just a bit more complicated. Also, I know the limits of my "infinite" tech - there's a reason it's in quotes (it's not actually infinite); it just may seem that way to average players who may not realize how to get out of it, hence why I mentioned them as well. I already knew it could be low-blocked hence why I also mentioned that there were ways out of it & referred to my previous posts with the tech we've all apparently been using in various ways.

Galactic Geek

I use a fight pad, which is essentially the same as a standard Xbox control but with a bigger DPad. Stick/control will have 0 affect on the timing of combos. :p
I just heard loud, clicking noises in the video which is usually indicative of an arcade stick. Also, the stick/control DOES have significant affect on the timing of combos if the controller reads your inputs incorrectly (which happens more often than I would like) & gives you something different entirely than what you expected - this is something that the Xbox 360 controller's d-pad is notorious for.

Thead

Noob
The timing between Ji3, land, 21 has nothing to do with the Xbox controller, I promise you. Things like the Back Forward, and Down Back motions are easily screwed by Xbox DPads tho. Plugged in my standard control and did it just fine too.

I just heard loud, clicking noises in the video which is usually indicative of an arcade stick. Also, the stick/control DOES have significant affect on the timing of combos if the controller reads your inputs incorrectly (which happens more often than I would like) & gives you something different entirely than what you expected - this is something that the Xbox 360 controller's d-pad is notorious for.
Google search 'evil dpad', cheap custom fix for the 360's crappy dpad

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
supp guys new lex player here, i have been using various setups like after b3 j2 22 close mine/ u3 far mine/ 11 mid mine and can someone tell me when is it best to trait up is it after a sting so i can trait cancel or after a probe? any tips aswell would be nice :p
rev0lver

I usually trait up after Corp Charge, D3, or J3, but after you play the matchups a ton, you'll figure out when it's safe to just turn it on against every character. Some characters will never let you just randomly turn it on. Good luck.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
So I just found a way to consistently land the mine in the corner, but I don't see a corner tech thread so I'll just put it in here.

Pretty sure a lot of us, when we reach the corner are doing some variation of Something into MB vaccum>F3>11>11>u3>either probes or missiles.

Off of the missiles, we get a reset assuming they didn't tech roll into a block. I've been messing with this today and we can end this into another dirty reset by doing 11>11>MB vacuum>walk backwards (Only a little tiny bit.)>B2>close mine.
They come out of B2 hitstun on top of the mine which allows you to either do F2 (That's our fastest overhead right?) which requires you to use meter to relaunch, or F3 which makes it slightly easier to block but requires no meter for the reset.

The only problem with this setup is that the mine will always hit 1st, meaning it will always be blocked low then high. That said, not only is it hard to block, but you could mix it up by charging the lance when they block mine or doing a grab though.

B2>mine setup is also a really good way to end any combo you started on a mine, especially if you have armor on. My usual combo off of a mine starter is B3>j2>22>MB vacuum>B2>mine. On close mine you get the same setup as in the corner, but with mid mine you get a 47% no meter combo, but you NEED armor if you want any chance of landing this one.
They come out of hitstun right around when your mine animation ends, so with armor you can power through what they do and go B2u3d3>Mine hits>B3>j2>22>corpse charge (they're too low to get hit with the vacuum unfortunately).

Not sure how much of this is known, but figured I should try to share something considering how much tech I've taken from these boards.

I did some cancel advantage testing yesterday to see which strings you can most safely randomly cancel into shields/mine/probe with minimal risk of getting stuffed on reaction.

The test was against a Sinestro set to "always block" and do a Arachnid Sting on reaction. I figured the relatively fast startup of Arachnid sting simulated an average reaction time. In the cases of best cancel advantage, I was sometimes able to D+1 punish the Arachnid Sting if I was quick enough.

Best cancel advantage: (you can cancel into trait, and counter-punish most quick reactions)
B1

Decent cancel advantage: (you can cancel into trait, but will not have enough time to counter-punish a quick reaction)
B2

You will probably get stuffed cancel advantage: (you can not get into trait at all if the enemy punishes with a quick reaction)
B13
F2

So going into B1 xx Trait or 21 xx Trait is actually quite a safe bet. Especially with b1, because they will be extremely hesitant to interrupt what could be a hit-confirmable combo-starter (b13).

B13 on the other hand is a good way to get stuffed if you cancel it into anything.

After what felt like an eternity (in reality about 3 weeks) I've got my system back up and running. I've been playing 3rd strike and marvel since I got it back but I'm itching to get back into injustice, and when I do I'm picking up where I left off with our boy Lex.

The flood of new players and tech is amazing I've been reading all this stuff with such anticipation. Hats off to all of you, I hope I can contribute some more.

BGB into close mine is my favorite midscreen setup. If you have trait active it's an absolute lock against a huge portion of the cast. Without trait it's a good way to bait unsafe wakeup attacks, and you still have a lot of advantage if they just block the mine. You can also go for a MB F3 to compensate for no trait with the tradeoff of an easier to block situation. A quick jump forward 3 will crossup, but you can only combo into a corps charge.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I'm not sure if this was discussed before but does anyone know anything about Lex's random super reset? As in where you hit them with super in a juggle when they're kinda lower to the ground and the hits reset. I thought it was a problem with the AI in auto block but I switched it to "always" mid-combo and it still reset.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
That happened to me a few times but instead for me when i put it to always from auto it dropped the last hit instead

Galactic Geek

I've had some weird issues myself with using the super mid-combo. Sometimes it whiffs entirely, sometimes it hits entirely, & sometimes it only hits partially. I've had to go through a lot of practice to figure out which combos work with it & which don't...