What's new

Mortal Kombat to possibly be sold?

Scott Naylor

Comments

I want ARCSYS to buy NRS.

This is who I want to get MK. Don't focus on the art style but more so on game play. Notice the difference in meter.

Each character has their own meter and unique abilities. It's very technical and has combos for days.

Imagine mk with unreal engine with this form of play style.

It would be revolutionary.

this gameplay of endless block pressure until touch of death or a lucky guess is the very thing i personally dont want in mk and im glad mk1 its actively preventing it.

The high value of the MK brand (which has had movies since 1995) is going to greatly limit who would be able to afford it. Only an American company would make that kind of investment so I don’t think any of you have to worry about ArcSys Mortal Kombat XX +R Reloaded with air dashes.

I thought about NRS taking a chance and going independent. But lets be real ...WB is a great home for them. The sales are good. Sale are going to be even better when KP2 + Story DLC drops soon. I think MK1 sold 3million copies, so far. It's like neck to neck with SF6 sales, almost.
Anyhow, other than strong copy sales, what publisher would want to inherit the headaches that comes with Mortal Kombat?!
It's Rated M for Mature. Not Rated T for Teens like SF6 & T8. Plus, you can't upload all of MK's gore in it's original look or color on YouTube w/o the video getting demonetize. The game carries controversy getting banned in some countries, as well.
Anyway, WB Games has to continue to work it out. They're taking a lot of risk and getting no reward. Only 2 games doing the most far as sales and making a profit ..Hogwarts Legacy & Mortal Kombat. Let's hope WB Games figure this thing out. all we can do is wait and see.

A couple people have mentioned the NRS going independent but NRS is not independent of WB, they are subsidiary, replacing the pre-existing WB Games Chicago. WB reportedly owns the rights to MK, after buying the remains of Midway after they faced bankruptcy.

It's WB issue. Maybe if they didn't have so many movie flops(and I enjoyed me some BvS), they wouldn't be struggling financially. Seems like their game companies have been pretty successful overall. It's a shame, but so was Midway squandering their success.

NRS's inability to take the trivial amount of time to add in a color-toggle for blood to help out some of their biggest supporters (youtube streamers/influencers) is absolutely baffling to me.
I've been watching the Kolloseum this season and all the blood is green, but the remainder of the gameplay (including Fatal Blows, Brutalities, and Fatalities) is normal. Not sure how they're doing it.

NRS's inability to take the trivial amount of time to add in a color-toggle for blood to help out some of their biggest supporters (youtube streamers/influencers) is absolutely baffling to me.
13 years ago we had 'no blood' codes that you could toggle on to make rematching quicker and censor the game if necessary. but I guess that's too much to ask for in 2024 for some reason.

Edit: You could also pick different costumes on the character select screen, and if you were playing local VS, player 2 could also use the costumes you had unlocked. I hate the future so freaking much.

13 years ago we had 'no blood' codes that you could toggle on to make rematching quicker and censor the game if necessary. but I guess that's too much to ask for in 2024 for some reason.

Edit: You could also pick different costumes on the character select screen, and if you were playing local VS, player 2 could also use the costumes you had unlocked. I hate the future so freaking much.
We also had RAINBOW BLOOD code, which was awesome.

Also, somewhat related, there was a leak that predicted things with 100% accuracy way before the final roster/story was revealed, and in it were things like Shao being a General, Tarkat being a disease, the whole multiverse armageddon thing and whatever else. They ALSO leaked Kombat Kodes, which for some reason, never got to see the light of the day - along with the warrior shrine, so far.

i said just until he crumbled though, it looked like there could be way more incoming. and still, who in mk1 can do even 7 hits on block into a low/overhead launcher without big gaps?
I play BlazBlue it's not like that at all he can press their were multiple outs.

Hmm it would appear this game IS selling slower than MK11.

View attachment 21883
Of course it is. MK1 is only available on next/current gen (however you say it) consoles and PC. I’ve already stated this before, but a lot of the consumer base of NRS games are casuals. Like, a disproportionate amount compared to other FG’s. And a ton of casuals still have either a PS4 or XB1. That plus the fact that MK1 wasn’t promoted anywhere near as long before release as MK11 was, in fact, MK1 came out just a few months after it was first announced!

There’s definitely other factors, but those are HUGE ones.

Of course it is. MK1 is only available on next/current gen (however you say it) consoles and PC. I’ve already stated this before, but a lot of the consumer base of NRS games are casuals. Like, a disproportionate amount compared to other FG’s. And a ton of casuals still have either a PS4 or XB1. That plus the fact that MK1 wasn’t promoted anywhere near as long before release as MK11 was, in fact, MK1 came out just a few months after it was first announced!

There’s definitely other factors, but those are HUGE ones.
They chose to lay in that bed when it comes to pushing mk1 to only next gen and PC.

I also don't feel pity for anyone who purchased a PS5 just for MK1. Talk about hood winked.

They chose to lay in that bed when it comes to pushing mk1 to only next gen and PC.

I also don't feel pity for anyone who purchased a PS5 just for MK1. Talk about hood winked.
Yeah for sure.

Also, there’s honestly still not THAT many next gen exclusives. Which is even less of a reason to get them for your average casual gamer

Yeah for sure.

Also, there’s honestly still not THAT many next gen exclusives. Which is even less of a reason to get them for your average casual gamer
The thing is, the big games of today are things like Fortnight, Call of Duty Warzone, and the like, and they still play fine on last gen consoles. Combine that with few generation-only exclusives, and also the fact that the price point for a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X is quite high from a traditional console standpoint, and that'll mean less current generation machines are getting sold.

Sony is still the console sales leader this generation, and their goal was to have the bulk of their customer base switch over to PlayStation 5 after something around 3 years. A few months back, it was revealed that over half of active PlayStation Plus users are still on PlayStation 4 consoles. Sony also officially announced earlier this year that PlayStation 5 sales are slowing and they expect that they've peaked, and hardware sales will only decline further from this year out. The PlayStation 5 has failed to meet their own targets. (Source is Digital Foundry).

This generation as a whole has not been anything to write home about.

The thing is, the big games of today are things like Fortnight, Call of Duty Warzone, and the like, and they still play fine on last gen consoles. Combine that with few generation-only exclusives, and also the fact that the price point for a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X is quite high from a traditional console standpoint, and that'll mean less current generation machines are getting sold.

Sony is still the console sales leader this generation, and their goal was to have the bulk of their customer base switch over to PlayStation 5 after something around 3 years. A few months back, it was revealed that over half of active PlayStation Plus users are still on PlayStation 4 consoles. Sony also officially announced earlier this year that PlayStation 5 sales are slowing and they expect that they've peaked, and hardware sales will only decline further from this year out. The PlayStation 5 has failed to meet their own targets. (Source is Digital Foundry).

This generation as a whole has not been anything to write home about.
See, this is exactly what I’m talking about with MK1 sales being much lower than MK11’s. Regardless of how you feel about MK1, the sales should have been at least close or comparable to MK11’s. Like, if it was available on all platforms and they advertised/marketed it for at least a year before it released, I strongly believe that it would’ve gotten very close to MK11 sales if not surpassed it.

See, this is exactly what I’m talking about with MK1 sales being much lower than MK11’s. Regardless of how you feel about MK1, the sales should have been at least close or comparable to MK11’s. Like, if it was available on all platforms and they advertised/marketed it for at least a year before it released, I strongly believe that it would’ve gotten very close to MK11 sales if not surpassed it.
Yes. Each new entry does better than the last. However as you said MK1 is next-gen, which has limited the sales.

Last edited: