What's new

Mortal Kombat Revival

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
lol sorry but all that sounds really broken (for lack of worse words)
The only mid decent or interesting part was when you said you could disable all that nonsense in the options menu. Don't take it personally, it's just my opinion on that gameplay system.

The only mid decent or interesting part was when you said you could disable all that nonsense in the options menu. Don't take it personally, it's just my opinion on that gameplay system.
Yeah, I think it's really important if he does add all this stuff to make sure people are able to turn it off if they want.

I will probably have fun trying it out, but who knows how it will end up in the end.

Okay, here is our first Jax's WIP video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqVGw5UVIs

Now... I just wanna say that I know it doesn't look like MK at all, but I'll ask you all to wait and understand it only have like 3 moves programmed and all the phisics will change, we're working in the gameplay okay?

Read my previous posts, in the previous page I explain the goal of this project. Right now there's a wall system working in the video to prevent infinites... it shall have tweakes too, ok let's repeat... I KNOW... now... let's see how many people here understand the meaning of work-in-progress FIRST video (the programming started like a month ago).

Right now there are no orbs in the game... just dream along with me :D

Merry Christmas...!

Note: People like Ninja Grinder will eat their words, I promise it. ;)

I like a lot of little things about. Walk/run speed and animations look good, and a couple of combos look to be alright.

Lots to work on, but good start.

NinjaGrinder

Aww please don't do this to shut "people like me" up LOL

The only way I'd eat my words about mugen is by playing it... and that's not gonna happen, buddy. I'm not 12 anymore (I guess this would have impressed me back then)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The only positive thing I can say so far is you've done some creative things with the existing sprites to make new moves and animations.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Okay, here is our first Jax's WIP video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqVGw5UVIs

Now... I just wanna say that I know it doesn't look like MK at all, but I'll ask you all to wait and understand it only have like 3 moves programmed and all the phisics will change, we're working in the gameplay okay?

Read my previous posts, in the previous page I explain the goal of this project. Right now there's a wall system working in the video to prevent infinites... it shall have tweakes too, ok let's repeat... I KNOW... now... let's see how many people here understand the meaning of work-in-progress FIRST video (the programming started like a month ago).

Right now there are no orbs in the game... just dream along with me :D

Merry Christmas...!

Note: People like Ninja Grinder will eat their words, I promise it. ;)

I cant believe that you've wasted so much time on this crap...That looks like paper cuts movie.

P.S. the Select screen looks horrible....UMK3 is the best game ever and I do not understand why people try to make stupid mugen projects like yours....

Since you guys take the time to post, even when is destructive criticism I'll take my time to post too...

The select screeen is MUGEN default select screen (the other characters you see in the select screen are random characters from SF, KOF and so on, obviously not part of MKR), the engine is not yet working... not even in 10%, so all you see is a couple of new moves and that's it. You cannot judge by that video, the idea was just to show the project have started and it's not just edits done by me.

I have some new information to reveal: We will be able to emulate UMK3 gameplay with 100% accuracy, this... is a great notice, I hope some of you like it. Now let's explain the way this is gonna work: We will work in the basic engine first... I mean the modes such as counter, pick and throw rocks, health recovery, multilevel uppercuts, crouch kombos, reversals, new special moves, more damage mode, and so on... when we have that working right we will make the necessary tweakes to ensure a perfect UMK3 playability in the default stance.

So, this project will include a swith to disable all the extra modes and options so you'll have the possibility of playing UMK3 with new moves and a different balance, but escencially the exact same game; also we will include a "Classic Swith" to disable kombos and run.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The demo you gave us with Sub and Sonya is really good and I know you are just testing Jax in that video. When you put him in the UMK3 version of MUGEN, he will play just like he does in UMK3. Keep up the good work.

Guys, I know you wanna bash Mugen and the people who use it (trust me, I wanna do the same), but this guy is coming here asking for your opinions on what he's done so far.

If you don't have anything constructive to say about it, just don't post.

Posts like "I'm not 12 anymore (I guess this would have impressed me back then)" and "I cant believe that you've wasted so much time on this crap..." are worthless and aren't going to convince him to just give up.

Maybe he's enjoying himself working on the game, who are you to tell him he's wasting his time?

Shock I can tell isn't thrilled with anything going on, but at least he's not slinging insults around and trying to flame the guy for even attempting.

Maybe it ends up being total shit, maybe he gives up at some point. But if you guys are so disinterested in the whole thing, why even bother posting here?

Yeap, well... I'm not giving up or anything. I'm not 12 either, I'm 27 and I'm a married guy who just enjoy MK from a creative point... I'm over with playing hardocore, now I want to do what I think would be better because UMK3 isn't enough 4 me, neither MK9 fits me... I don't like the "no run button" I don't like a button 4 throws, I didn't like Reptile or his dash shoulder... and I dont like Kratos, so MK9 seems awesome but it's just not enough 4 me.

I don't have to say all previous 3D MK games were trash, particularly I hated MKA... So, I did enjoy UMK3, but I don't like having 3 top tier characters, and I cannot find nobody still interested in playing a game so old... I don't like UMK3 fatalities, ok... too long already.

Since I'm in the position of making whatever I want, I'm planning to do just that...! I'm giving Jax over 10 different throws, some of them chained, I'm having Cage from MK2 but updating his outfist because I want:
Cage's Rounchouse:

Cage's Sweep:

and I'm going to make him fight without the glasses in the default mode, and put on the glases in enhanced mode because I want...

And I am adding moves from any previous MK to my characters because I feel like doing it...!
MK2 GOTCHA GRAB

DOUBLE EARTHQUAKE MKVSDCU

Jax's MKDA Piston Punch:

And what is the problem if at the end the game is not balanced or has a crappy gameplay... MK have never been balanced, and a lot of MK games have had a crappy gameplay, that would only make it "MORE MK LIKE".

So I'm adding new moves too... changing watever I like and doing stuff out of my imagination:

Jax's Intro 1:

So, when I have my first character working with all the gameplay systems and stuff I'll leave a link in the forums to see if it's possible to get some help from some people here to help us balance the game, detect bugs and give us their opinion .

AC1984

Kaballin!
I'm not bashing at all actually. If you want to work on it thats fine...you do not ask for opinion,you just share whats on your mind from what i read. Every Mugen video or project i've seen so far has 75% less frames than UMK3 and hit boxes look ridiculously strange.If i had the knowledge you have I would try to make the perfect UMK3 without all broken crap....

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Since you guys aren't making a UMK3 game to start, I wish you guys would make a character template that's as close to UMK3 as possible so other programmers could mess around with it, since you have such a good start. I'm sure there are many players who will be interested in playing your game, but most of the players here would want something that plays like UMK3, with added characters, animations, and specific gameplay fixes. There are some concessions I know would have to be made due to programming limitations, but I don't think any of those limits have ever been met, and some interesting, but tedious solutions to major issues have been suggested, and never applied.

Just as long as the core gameplay is like UMK3, I wouldn't mind what you did with the characters. Doesn't seem you're going for UMK3 core gameplay though, which is unfortunate.

Looks like a fun game though. My advice is try not to add too many things for one character.

I'm tired of reading bullshit in this topic, for real... what ever happedned with Dreamer's engine? most of you only know how to play some fighting games and that's it. I've heard complains over the years refering to "why Ed Boon doesn't listen to us" and there's a good reason for that. A lot of people here are so close minded that we get comments like:
- UMK3 is perfect, it doesn't need any change.
- Any feature you might want to include is broken.
- Anything that is different from UMK3 is wrong.

You know what happens? a lot of people here doesn't have the vision or imagination to see anything new working... so please, step aside and play your bloody UMK3. I don't want to read any shitty comments, if people here want me to keep informing the progress of MKR we would have to start acting better, right now I have 10 pages full of critics and I don't like to come here and read that shit since I'm working for free I'd like to enjoy my hobby and some people here are spoiling my fun.

Now that we are clear (I hope), I'll give some information: MKR new modes programing process will be delayed. We are paying attention to your comments so, we will be working in UMK3 accurate gameplay first.

We need all the UMK3 engine information you can provide, and constructive criticism is always welcome.

I want to repeat/make myself clear on some aspects:
- I was a hardcore player in a lot of fighting games including MK classic games. I know what I'm including.
- We have our goals pretty clear. Everything in the gameplay have been carefully planned.
- MKR original gameplay is not in discussion, however, we will hear your opinions.

This is a good opportunity you're having here... we are working, we have the capacity to do something really big and you're invited so contribute in this project, it's in your hands to accept the invitation or ignore it.

MKK hanzo

So, I did enjoy UMK3, but I don't like having 3 top tier characters, and I cannot find nobody still interested in playing a game so old... I don't like UMK3 fatalities, ok... too long already.
Wha.... Wait. Do you live in Venezuela REALLY? The same Country as me? How come so? If I open the door of my house there are even birds playing UMK3/MKT n64 here. WHERE do you get this shit? Please dont try to downgrade UMK3/MKT Venezuelan scene cause it will make you look worse than what you are doing here.

A lot of people here are so close minded that we get comments like:
- UMK3 is perfect, it doesn't need any change.
- Any feature you might want to include is broken.
- Anything that is different from UMK3 is wrong.
Guys DO YOU REALLY know WHAT IS BROKEN AND WHAT NOT? Tell me please?

Last time I saw a player MUST BE somewhat proficient or good at a fighting game to tell the difference between broken/abusable/spammable/BS/overpowered, etc.

Again WHY do you want to downgrade what is an UNIVERSAL truth and fact? UMK3 is balanced and "perfect" in its own merit but as ALL games has his own BS that could be ironed out but even so the game has held SO DAMN WELL that no one needs a remake or at least a reboot or a reimagining and even less with all those features you are trying to implement.

For gods sake 3 fighting styles? Some of them power up more then the others? Your design is FLAWED from the start cause if there is a more powerfull style ppl will go right away to play that style instead of the other 2.

Why do you think that caused LOTS of trouble in MKDA? Or will you tell me that playing in, say, Wrestling with Hsu Hao was good for example?

Frozen unles you are REAL GOOD and have TONS of knowledge not only in THEORY but in practice (not training mode) you will be able to see the REAL FLAWS of UMK3 or any game and try and fix them. And starting with MUGEN will NOT help you.

And this:

- MKR original gameplay is not in discussion, however, we will hear your opinions.
But:

We need all the UMK3 engine information you can provide, and constructive criticism is always welcome
Gimme a break. LOL

You are free to do WHATEVER YOU WANT BRO but as free advice I will tell ya that if you come to a site like THIS wich is FULL of COMPETITIVE MK TOURNAMENT PLAYERS and tell them that you are re doing UMK3 cause you didnt like UMK3 fatalities you are going to get shit from all of us.

Please keep up your work, start posting what you like and all the progress in it but STOP ASKING FOR HELP FROM THE COMUNNITY claiming you are doing a game better than UMK3 cause it will do YOU more harm than good.

A tip: Dont call it MK Revival cause its not, put it another name to avoid flaming from the start. MK Reimagining or My Dear MK Game That Only Me Will Like (MDMKGTOMWL)

Just saying.

EDIT:

ight now I have 10 pages full of critics and I don't like to come here and read that shit since I'm working for free I'd like to enjoy my hobby and some people here are spoiling my fun.
WHY do you bother even posting then? I want to see gameplay, ACTUAL REAL gameplay, not animated gifs of J. Cage taking his pants down.

NinjaGrinder

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the video. Just about all that horrid, broken stuff like:

more damage? health recovery? orbs? crouch combos, air uppercut... this stuff is nearly endless. Endlessly nonsensical.

Believe me, if I didn't care at all, I wouldn't post. Or even read the topic. But since this guy claims people "like me" will eat their words... so let's keep taking a look once in a while.

And why not post my opinion in the process? I'm not insulting him, I'm just saying this broken bs is not attracting anyone but kids... but yeah, in the end he can do whatever he wants with his time.

Oh, and hanzo (ASSashi) that post was hilarious, good stuff

Bleed

Noob
As was asked by several users, we need to make it as close to UMK3 as possible. I'm willing to give this a try, so I need the information required to do so. I'm gathering data from different sources, If you have some of this info I could use a copy.

At Hanzo... you clearly didn't read how is the gameplay system. I won't try to explain what have been already explained. IF you and the other 20 guys are happy playing MKT in N64 with H. Smoke, Nightwolf, Kabal and Ermac, that's fine. Keep doing so... I'm not interestet.

I was the one who told you a lot of stuff for your shitty MKG video, and you got credits for some of my discoveries in the MK4 combo video. I think I know the difference between you and I... you're a mature player of old shits and I'm a creator... the perfect analogy, the incarnation of what I meant by close minded. I will never be able to make you understand anything unless (perhaps) you play the game, that's gonna be like in december of next year, so... since you have never done anything but playing what others create, shut up until you play MKR (if you decide to play it) and then... let me know if I was wrong or not.

At Ninja Grinder... we are in christmas right now, check next year when we have a playable demo with at least 4 characters and if you want we can put some money on this. I'm confident on my stuff.

Close the threat if you like. You have done a very poor job on this threat since page one letting everyone to flame and post whatever they want, now you try to shut me up? feel free to do it.

I have asked help specifically for testing and UMK3 technical data. That something Hanzo or NinjaGrinder are not gonna do, they... specifically Hanzo were spamming the topic without even read the gameplay concepts.

I have this threat in other forums, sadly, this is the only comunity of MK players, but a lot of people here just won't let it work.

Here is something for you to check, let's see what the responses are (MKR Jax's design):
============================================================= | Jax | ===

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ | Stances/Modes | ---
[Default Mode]

> Classic Stance

1 ) MK2 Energy Wave (D, B, LP)
* It works just like in MK2.
* It can also be done while in the air.

2 ) MK2 Gotcha Grab (F, F, LP)
* 2 hits min and 3 hits max if you press F+HP at the end. MK9 last gotcha punch (not yet edited) for third hit purpose.

3 ) MK2 Earthquake (F, D, LK)
* It can also be done while in the air (with one hand, not yet edited).

4 ) Expansion Wave (D, F, HP)
* Clap like the win pose with a short range shock wave.
* Causes high hit animation followed by a short period of dizzy.

5 ) Low Catch (B, F, LP)
* It must be blocked as a low hit. (not yet edited).
* It causes automatic -facing forward- back breaker (not yet edited).

6 ) High Catch (B, F, HP)
* It can be ducked under.
* It can be blocked as a high hit.
* It can be followed by two throws (not yet edited).

7 ) Air Throw (BL)
* I haven’t decide where I will use the default air throw, must edit two more.

8 ) MK4 Dash Punch (F, F, HP)
* Working just as in MK4 with 1 hit standing but 2 hit sounds.
* When hitting the opponent while in the air causes flip fall.

9 ) Piston Punch (D, F, LP)
* It will be like Bryan Fury’s d/f+LP, LP, LP, LP, RP (Tekken 3 version, not yet edited).

10 ) Downward Elbow (B + HP)
* Perhaps I could get permission of using MKP Elbow, if not, I’ll edit one (not yet edited).

--- Running Attack (F+RN+HK) ---
> Flying kick (not yet edited).

--- Evading Move (B+RN) ---
> Back Jump (not yet edited).

--- Reversal Move (D, B, BL) ---
> You’ll get one free hit specially edited for the occasion (not yet edited).

;------------------------------------------
[Enhanced Mode]

1 ) MK3 (Double) Energy Blast (D, B, LP)
* It works just like in MK3.

* 2 hits min and 4 hits max (LP, LP, LP, LP)
* You will be able to get all 4 hits and link the punches with any of the other available options:
* MK9 Last Gotcha Grab Punch (F, HP)
* MK9 Gotcha Grab Throw (F+LP)
* Custom Hammer Punch (D+HP)

3 ) Custom Earthquake (F, D, LK)
* Double Earthquake (LK)
* It causes bounce on the opponent.
* It can also be done while in the air (with one hand, not yet edited).
* Double Air Earthquake (LK)
* It causes bounce on the opponent (not yet edited).

4 ) Expasion Wave (D, F, HP)
* Clap like the win pose with a normal range shock wave.
* Causes slip animation followed by a normal time dizzy.

5 ) Low Catch (B, F, LP)
* Juggle Toss (Hold U)
* Cancels the back breaker throw to toss the opponent upwards for a juggle (not yet edited).

* It can be followed by multiple throws (not yet edited).

7 ) Air Throw (BL)

8 ) MK9 Dash Punch (F, F, HP)
* Working just as in MK9.
* Works as a punch kombo starter.

9 ) MKDA Piston Punch (D, F, LP)
* Working just as in MKDA.
* It will be like Gun Jack’s d/f+LP, LP, LP, LP, RP (Tekken 3 version, not yet edited).

10 ) MK9 Jumping Elbow (B + HP)
* It forces the opponent into crouch position when hit (not yet edited).
* Crouch Throw (D+LP)
* It works just as in MK9 (not yet edited).

--- Running attack ---
> Flying arm bar (F+RN+HK)

* Power Blast (HP)

* It leaves the opponent open for kombos (not yet edited).

--- | Extra Details | ---
> Air uppercut enabled
> Air roundhouse enabled
> Air kombos enabled.
> Crouch kombos enabled.

[More Damage Mode]

1 ) Custom Energy Wave (D, B, LP)
* More damage.

* 2 hits min and 3 hits max if you press F+HP at the end. custom last gotcha punch (not yet edited) for third hit purpose.
* More damage.
* Last hit causes wall break when near the corner.

3 ) MK3 Earthquake (F, D, LK)
* It can also be done while in the air (with one hand).
* More damage.

4 ) Custom Expansion Wave (D, F, HP)
* The animation I did will be used only in this mode.
* Causes damage, the opponent will fly in the air.

5 ) Low Catch (B, F, LP)
* More damage.

* It can be followed by two throws (not yet edited).
* More damage.

7 ) Air Throw (BL)

8 ) MK3 Dash Punch (F, F, HP)
* Working just as in MK3.
* More damage.
* Causes wall break when near the corner.

9 ) Piston Punch (D, F, LP)
* It will be like Gun Jack’s d/f+LP, LP, LP, LP, RP (Tekken 3 version, not yet edited).
* More damage.
* Last hit causes wall break when near the corner.

10 ) Downward Elbow (B + HP)
* Perhaps I could get permission of using MKP Elbow, if not, I’ll edit one (not yet edited).
* Causes bounce.
* More damage.

--- Running Attack (F+RN+HK) ---
> Power Flying kick (not yet edited).
* More damage.

> You’ll get one free hit specially edited for the occasion (not yet edited).
* More damage.

--- | Extra Details | ---
> Close punch combos can be done from far, distance based is off.
> Basic attacks can have wall break properties when near the corner.
> Uppercut to break the roof (D+HP)
Note: It happens automatically with the second bassic uppercut in a kombo.
> Quick Recovery Uppercut (D+HP)
Note: Works for the first uppercut used in a kombo.