What's new

Mortal Kombat 11's Full Roster

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're implying Injustice 2 mostly kept Injustice 1's roster?

Not only is that not true, but it actually kept FEWER characters than MKXL did to MK11.

12/29 non-guest characters remained the same from INJ1 to INJ2.

Whereas 15/29 non-guest characters (already) stayed the same from MKXL to MK11.

I have to very strongly disagree that it's "trolling" to have unplayable characters appear in the story mode. Forcing NRS to only ever include 25 characters in all of their story modes, of which ~15 will always be the same MK3 mainstays, would result in some extra shitty story modes.

Yes, I agree. I am okay with unplayable characters in the story. and I mean for example in Injustice 2 Harley Quinn and several others largely played the same or extremely similar, that is what I was implying. Sorry for the misunderstanding of that.

And I'm sticking to my guns on the Mk1-3 cast. You will never hear someone who buys the game casually be like....."OMG....that's Cassie Cage. I can't wait to play this". Even if she is the coolest and best fighter in the game. and she actually IMO does look very cool in the game. But then again, there are some MK3 fighters that people lack interest in. I'm just saying. For what it's worth, any character can be made awesome. D'vorah I thought looked amazing in MKX and original. So did Kotal Kahn. Which is why they are returning. Anyway, the cast is really large at this point so not everyone is going to be pleased. Sorta like going to Los Angeles for the first time. It will not be what you hoped or expected it to be, but you may or may not be disappointed either and will probably have a great time.

Honestly I don't even think Rain or Fujin will be considered for this game's roster at all, DLC or not. They have Cetrion to cover the Water and Wind powers instead. Sucks, but what can you do?
Both are too heavily requested to not be considered, especially after they didn't put them out as DLC in MKX, despite all the requests. To be honest, both of them should have been in the base roster here.
Or you could also just be happy with what we're getting since a lot of work goes into each character's creation, if it were so easy I'm sure they'd put every single MK character that's ever existed into the game. Please don't be this entitled, quality over quantity.
I've never asked for a roster like Armageddon's though. I just said it should be a bit more than 25, like 35 or something. Even MK9 had a bigger base roster. I'm sure they could have put a few more characters in without sacrificing the quality. It's 2019, and the 11th game in the series, so 25 just doesn't cut it anymore, in my opinion. Not everyone can make it, sure, but there's still a lot of fan favorites and long-absent characters that could have been in here.

What are you basing this opinion on?
Assumption. I highly doubt a few more characters would lessen the quality. Look at Tekken Tag Tournament 2. That had over 50 characters, and is considered by many as one of the best Tekken games. So I believe they could pull off a roster that's a bit bigger well. Yes, it's a non-canon "anthology" type game, but my point still stands.

Even if you want to use a mainline Tekken game, let's try Tekken 5. That came out back in 2004, and had 32 characters. It's also considered one of the best Tekken games.

Last edited:

Kratilim

Noob
Assumption. I highly doubt a few more characters would lessen the quality. Look at Tekken Tag Tournament 2. That had over 50 characters, and is considered by many as one of the best Tekken games. So I believe they could pull off a roster that's a bit bigger well. Yes, it's a non-canon "anthology" type game, but my point still stands.
I think you highly underestimate how much work it is to create characters. Especially since NRS likes to reinvent the characters each game. Tekken can do 50 because they re-use 75% of their animation and assets across games. NRS only tends to re-use a small portion. So for more characters they would need to add many more man months to the project per character added. In one interview (don't recall which one) they mentioned that one character takes I think about 5 or 6 months on average to create (could be off by one or two months). But lets assume 5 months across all teams, adding 4 characters would mean you've added 20 months of work across teams as a minimum. That quite a lot. So if they would need to make more characters within the same time frame you can either take less time per character (less quality), or accept that you can only have so many characters...

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Assumption. I highly doubt a few more characters would lessen the quality. Look at Tekken Tag Tournament 2. That had over 50 characters, and is considered by many as one of the best Tekken games. So I believe they could pull off a roster that's a bit bigger well.
...ignoring for the moment the silliness of that particular comparison, let me ask you another question.

Do you have any idea what NRS's budget was? Because I'd think that's the first thing someone would need to know before guessing what was or was not possible.

I don't understand why people want Takeda over Kenshi and Ermac...

I never understood why the game needed yet ANOTHER telepath/Telekinesis user. We have two VERY AWESOME ones already, no need to replace them like EVER with a Kombat Kid which uses weapons that suit Mavado or another Black Dragon member much better.
Takeda is a friggin Jedi Ninja!!!!! yano what!?! Just fight me IRL bro, ready when you are

Tanya or Sindel should’ve had Cetrion’s spot to be honest. Both actually fit within the game and aren’t injustice leftovers and both suffer from wasted potential within the story. They could do a lot!!!

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Gotta say, this roster is amazing. And not for the choices of who made base game, but for the reinventions of the characters.

Genuinely never cared for Baraka, but now i wanna try him out. Always thought Johnny Cage was a joke, like Dan Hibiki, but they made him awesome in all the ways that work without becoming overkill.

Loved Skarlet in Mk9, but by god her new, unique design is amazing. I know she's technically not a new character, but considering her non-canon position in Mk9 i count her as one in Mk11

Jax was always badass, but that new Heat-arm mechanic and the way it shoots missiles like in MK3?? Literally perfect. Like, an actual plausible explanation for a super power this dude has.

I always considered Kano boring until MKX, where his eye laser was actually practical. When his gameplay was revealed he immediately jumped to my top 5 Wanna Play characters. Same with Kabal (though i ignored him in MK9 cuz i didnt have the skill to use him properly)

All in all, i think there's more characters i want to try out than not.

Gonna Git Gud with:
1: Kabal
2: Noob
3:Kano
4:Sub Zero
5: Skarlet
6: Liu Kang
7: Jax

Gonna try out:
1: Shao Kahn
2: Kotal Kahn
3: Kollector
4: Jacqui (Gotta love that traditional Muay Thai stance)
5: Jade
6: Baraka
7: Johnny Cage
8: Cassie Cage
9: Kung Lao
10: Kitana

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I hope The Roster stays in a diamondey Shape, but a square is FAR Better Than MkX, IMO.
also I feel I wont get bored as fast in terms of roster now so that's great! I'm Just Soo hyped to see all customizing options!

SxS626

Noob
Honestly I don't even think Rain or Fujin will be considered for this game's roster at all, DLC or not. They have Cetrion to cover the Water and Wind powers instead. Sucks, but what can you do?
yep that makes sense. "sorry we can't include this highly requested klassic character, we already made this "original" character who used water in 2 of her moves. yep can't have 2 characters use the same powers in the same game" @ 3 cages, 2 briggs, 2 fire users, 2 green magic users, 2 kahns, 4 cyborgs, 2 cyromancers, 3 shokans

Last edited:

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
yep that makes sense. "sorry we can't include this highly requested klassic character, we already made this "original" character who used water in 2 of her moves. yep can't have 2 characters use the same powers in the same game" @ 3 cages, 2 briggs, 2 fire users, 2 green magic users, 2 kahns, 4 cyborgs, 2 cyromancers
2 "Cages". They split, remember?

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian

Even if you want to use a mainline Tekken game, let's try Tekken 5. That came out back in 2004, and had 32 characters. It's also considered one of the best Tekken games.
This post is staggeringly ignorant (in the way the word is supposed to be used, I'm not using it as a pejorative against you) on modern AAA video game development. It even ignores the information we have on the time and effort that goes into just a single fatality and the amount of Hollywood-level stuff that needs to be done for the story mode.

You're insanely off base here, beyond you're awful comparison to a 2011 and 2004 game when the modern game development environment is so much different and so much more expensive.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

I get what you mean, but look at Armageddon, it literally had all the characters and it's the worst one of them all. I think when it comes to fighting games a lot of the game's replayability has to do with quality over quantity. Sure 10 characters would be too little and way too boring, but I feel like the number we'll end up with, which is close to 30 I think, is really good.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Tanya or Sindel should’ve had Cetrion’s spot to be honest. Both actually fit within the game and aren’t injustice leftovers and both suffer from wasted potential within the story. They could do a lot!!!
Tanya had a role in MKX and Sindel is another revenant like all the others we have in MK11. No, we need the power of an Elder Goddess to beat the shit out of Shao and Kronika. Sindel is probable DLC though. So I expect...

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest

Almost no one considers Tekken Tag 2 to be one of the best Tekken games. It's universally hated by just about every competitive player.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Tekken Tag doesn't have the depth of the recent Mortal Kombat games. Imagine having to record all that dialogue for all those various pre-match encounters! It would be a logistical nightmare to have 50 plus characters.