What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Roster Predictions!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Johnny Cage, Sonya, and Jax were all not in MK Deception. It wouldn't be the first time these characters took a break.
They were in Unchained, which was pretty much DLC for Deception but for PSP.

So yea Jax hasn’t missed a game lol

Gamer68

Fujin!
They were in Unchained, which was pretty much DLC for Deception but for PSP.

So yea Jax hasn’t missed a game lol
Johnny and Sonya was still missing, I think.

Plus the new characters in Unchained were directly ported from Deadly Alliance. Same moves, costumes, so on.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Expect the unexpected guest to be Slenderman. Although I don't know how unexpected it could be since he has a movie coming out and I'm sure people are smart enough to see the connection there. I'm bringing it up since nobody else does.
Yep, he's gonna kill you with standing still. No way Slenderman is in -.-

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I don't think that any of the "parent" characters (aka Johnny, Sonya, Jax, Kenshi) will be back, or at least in the base game. Of course they can bring anyone back in non-canon DLC, or just as a story mode cameo.

It would be really weird to create a story about those characters passing the torch to their children (this was the entirety of MKX), only to make ANOTHER story doing the exact same thing. A lot of people actually felt that it was weird that they were trying to give new characters the spotlight, but gave the parents just as much. It just felt odd. Plus those characters have been in the past few games so they can take a break for one game.

Redesign all of the Kombat Kids (both visually and moveset-wise), make then inherit a couple of their parents moves (Takeda finally gets the hang of telekinesis, Cassie can fully control green energy, etc), and call it a day. There will still be tons of classic MK characters so I don't think it would be that big of a deal if just a few take a break.

Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda, Kung Jin, Kotal Kahn, D'Vorah, and maybe Erron will probably all be back considering the story. Kano's son and probably another new character or two will show up. I'm assuming there's going to be 28 characters this time (like INJ2), so that leaves 18-20 classic MK characters. That's plenty.

I already created a thread about this topic a few months ago, but I'll dump my list here to (maybe with a few changes also):

The obvious:
Characters that will be in, no doubt.
  • Scorpion
  • Sub-Zero
  • Raiden
  • Liu Kang
  • Kitana
The 'most likely':
Characters that aren't guaranteed but will probably be in for story or popularity reasons.
  • Cassie Cage
  • Jacqui Briggs
  • Takeda
  • Kung Jin
  • Kotal Kahn
  • D'Vorah
  • Noob Saibot
  • Smoke
  • Jade
  • Fujin
  • Kano's son
  • Onaga (redesigned heavily)
  • Another new character or two.
The '50/50's:
Characters where you can see reasons why they could make it, but aren't really popular and/or needed.
  • Erron Black
  • Tanya
  • Bo' Rai Cho
  • Li Mei
  • Havik
  • Rain
  • Frost
  • Reptile (need your local jobber to get beat up in story fights)
  • Shang Tsung (will probably kill Ermac and steal his souls, like that one MKX arcade ending)
  • Daegon (I think they need to start introducing the Red Dragon, probably for Takeda's story arc)
The 'probably DLC':
Just for fun, here are 12 characters I think have high chances of being DLC:
  1. Shao Kahn (pre-order bonus, 90% sure he will be in)
  2. 1 of the parent characters I mentioned above (Johnny, Sonya, Kenshi, or Jax. I guess Kano also?)
  3. Kabal
  4. Sindel
  5. Mileena
  6. Sareena
  7. Havik
  8. Reiko
  9. Pennywise
  10. Micheal Myers
  11. Jigsaw
  12. Completely unexpected guest, like always.

NRS seems to want a roster that doesn't contain all of the wanted character right off the bat, because they like saving some for DLC or for a future game. I think this list has a balance between characters people really want (Fujin, Noob, Smoke, Jade) and characters that aren't really THAT popular if at all (Bo', Tanya, Frost, Daegon). I also think that it also leaves plenty of characters (both popular and not) to do later.
Agreed with this post completely, except, I think you're underestimating Erron Black a little bit. He, alongside Takeda/Cassie/Kotal, were definitely the most popular new character from MKX. I'm confident EB will be back.

Damn is Lao really not that popular?
Sort of and sort of not? Kung Lao is definitely a very popular character one of the most well known from MK2, but at the same time, not many people seem to care for his return in MK11. It seems like some of his more recent appearances have made him less popular somehow? I mean Kung Jin was actually played more than Lao was in MKX online.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Gurantees-
Scorpion
Sub
Raiden
Liu Kang
Kitana
Cassie
Jacqui
Takeda
Kung Jin
Kotal
D'Vorah
Erron Black

More than likely-
Kung Lao
Noob
Rain
Fujin
Tanya
Smoke
Sindel
Jade
Shang Tsung

Maybe?-
Mileena
Skarlet
Li Mei
Any of the cyborgs
Kabal
Nightwolf
Stryker
Ferra/Torr
Reiko
Sareena

Doubtful-
Johnny
Sonya
Kenshi
Kano
Jax
Ermac
Reptile
Tremor
Baraka
Quan Chi

Possible New Character-
Kanos son (Arcade ending)

Possible wildcards-
Havik
Jarek
Taven
Nitara
Hotaru
Hydro
Tasia

Guests-
Pennywise
Michael Myers
Slenderman (Before you laugh like I would've a few months ago, new movie coming out. I can see it happening for promotion to be honest).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Some of those are terrible. Plus, this assumes no new characters.

No

Nightwolf - not popular enough / not important enough
Sareena - not important
Kabal - Has no storyline
Reptile - Has no storyline and he is not that critical
Kung Jin - No one liked him
Sonya (only Sonya or Johnny will be in the next one)
Erron Black - not important / lack of storyline
Onaga (not yet) - Boon confirmed that this would be an original story line, not the retelling of 3D MK's. I think they will wait until MK12

No - but DLC

Kung Lao - He did very little in MKX. May be DLC
Ermac (Maybe DLC) - I think his story ending may be cannon
Smoke (Definite DLC)
Sindel - will play a stronger part in the story and will be DLC like Tanya

Yes
Li Mei (in story mode and often requested)
Mileena (DLC Pack 1 only)

Maybe
Triborg (very well received)
I think that with MK11 they'll try and push some underused characters, so Sareena might make it.

Reptile might not have storyline, but has following, and he's always been cannon fodder in the story anyway. I think he'll make it.

Kung Jin, true but unfortunately I think all the kids squad will make it.

Erron Black is a huge fan favorite, he'll probably be cannon fodder just like Reptile.

Smoke was dlc (kinda) in MKX too, so I don't think he'll be DLC again. Same with Tanya.