What's new

Discussion MKXL's Next Patch

Tanya
Universal: F3 is 16 frames
Drill kick and flip kick back to its original state
Pyro:
Ex fireball (ground) now does 12% damage
F3 now does 13% damage on shrouded opponents and fireballs can still be used afterwards.
Gap in b312 is removed.
Ex shroud now stuns to continue combos (like Ex Tonfa).
And finally more strings (one of which being a true mid attack)
Kobu:
B12+4 now does it original damage
Ex Tonfa does significantly more damage (big damage)
B12+42+3 now does increased damage.
Extra strings that are actually USEFUL in Kobu
With the tonfas.
Only agree with Pyro as I feel they ruined kobu because everyone hated it, and doubt they will fix that. I don't really care about f3 it was unusable anyway the run cancel on it was always dumb and it's a small launcher. I like the ex shroud stunning should be able to stun in air aswell unlike ex tonfa only stunning in ground. Though you'll see ex shroud being used on ground way more but still let us have the option to use in air. And ofc I liked the more strings and no gap in b312. But if I were to make an adjustmentioned to kobu I'd bring back armour on ex tonfa. Characters lock her in because she don't have her old armour to tonfa out. Well, in my experience I really relied on tonfas armour.

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
EX smoke torwards and backwards is INVINCIBLE.
Anyone who's not a complete idiot can just hit any standing normal when he's going through the motion and not quite set on the out of his phase on the other side and blow it up. I've had it happen multiple times...

"Let me spend a bar and a full combos worth of health to get out of the corner"

Israel

Noob
So you guys wants his wake-up tele to be safe on recovery.. ok you can want that, thats fine.

But if your opponent continues his pressure while you wake up tele, looks like it works as a get out of jail card and you can punish them while they are wiffing. This is true or false? i just want to know from a smoke players perspective.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
So you guys wants his tele to be safe on recovery.. ok you can want that, thats fine.

But if your opponent continues his pressure while you wake up tele, looks like it works as a get out of jail card and you can punish them while they are wiffing. This is true or false? i just want to know from a smoke players perspective.
As someone who both hates and enjoys the robots, I find if I have smoke in the corner knowing he will possibly phase out, I stop all pressure and throw him back in the corner on a read and continue my game, or as I mentioned above, walk back a bit and punish him on recovery.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If you don't try and meaty Smoke and take a step back you can punish him in recovery for it. If he doesn't wake up then you can just apply pressure. Johnny Cage does this really well because he can stand in the spot to punish the wakeup if Smoke does, then if he doesn't wakeup then he can F3 for his pressure. It's ugh.
If you sit there, Smoke can just fight his way out if the Smoke player reads that. If he reads you won't pressure, or even delay your pressure slightly, he can wait as well, then EX phase when you scoot forward. It isn't much different than any other wakeup attack, honestly...you sit there, that will beat the wakeup. You don't, then he's out.

Smoke realistically doesn't need anything fixed on him. He's fine the way he is.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Tanya
34 given its original properties.
Roll back the damage nerf

Pyro
2 fire based combo strings - one mid / one high
Take out gaps in b312
If not, shroud lasts for a period of time rather than it being lost when one fire based attack is blocked - though they would need to be careful with this

Kobu
Armor back on ex-tonfa OR revert the ex tonfa toss to original state. She does not have the meter build she used to with the universal nerf, so I don't think it would be as bigger problem now

DN
Roll back stealth nerfs... I mean WTF

I don't think any of these are unreasonable / OP

CAM THE SAGE

THERE IS FEAR IN YOUR HEART
In a block string, I think you can. Yes. But I haven't tested. I'd imagine if he's phasing through you then you can simply jab punish him but i dno. A lot of his things you don't actually have to deal with, people just haven't explored all their options or know the MU yet. Hell, I struggle fighting against Smoke even though I have the knowledge, it's just practice I need lol.
Just grab y grab him out of everything

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Bo Rai Cho

Selfishly... I would like a standard non ex projectile in one of his variations... maybe Bartitsu. That would mean that I could play him :D

Yes, I know it is unrealistic hehe :D

Raiden needs something but I'm not sure what.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
If you sit there, Smoke can just fight his way out if the Smoke player reads that. If he reads you won't pressure, or even delay your pressure slightly, he can wait as well, then EX phase when you scoot forward. It isn't much different than any other wakeup attack, honestly...you sit there, that will beat the wakeup. You don't, then he's out.

Smoke realistically doesn't need anything fixed on him. He's fine the way he is.
Bare minimum he needs a lot of whiffing fixed

Only agree with Pyro as I feel they ruined kobu because everyone hated it, and doubt they will fix that. I don't really care about f3 it was unusable anyway the run cancel on it was always dumb and it's a small launcher. I like the ex shroud stunning should be able to stun in air aswell unlike ex tonfa only stunning in ground. Though you'll see ex shroud being used on ground way more but still let us have the option to use in air. And ofc I liked the more strings and no gap in b312. But if I were to make an adjustmentioned to kobu I'd bring back armour on ex tonfa. Characters lock her in because she don't have her old armour to tonfa out. Well, in my experience I really relied on tonfas armour.
It's really good damage especially with these proposed buffs. But you don't need to run cancel with it in combos use f2 (spinning slaps). They probably won't do that with Kobu, but idc that's what would be good. No only extra damage and less frames they should make F3 usable and fix the run cancel.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.

It's more of a reaction based on whether he wakes up or not. I think it's harder for him on wakeup more than any other character who has wakeups.

We'll agree to disagree on the last point.

It's really good damage especially with these proposed buffs. But you don't need to run cancel with it in combos use f2 (spinning slaps). They probably won't do that with Kobu, but idc that's what would be good. No only extra damage and less frames they should make F3 usable and fix the run cancel.
I agree, but I think it should just bounce automatically. She has no over heads in pyro accept jump ins but how good are they in any fighting game. As soon as you charge everybody knows what your doing or your get blasted real quick with a 35%+ combo.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's more of a reaction based on whether he wakes up or not. I think it's harder for him on wakeup more than any other character who has wakeups.

We'll agree to disagree on the last point.
I don't see how. In fact, in certain ways, it's easier. Smoke is one of, what, 2 variations that are capable of using a wakeup no matter what their life is. Also, having a standard wakeup attack wouldn't really solve the problem of being able to get out of the corner. Giving him armor on EX teleport would do nothing for him that EX phase already does better. If they wait on your teleport, they'll punish you anyway. And in the process, you can get your armor broken, get blocked, etc. It honestly wouldn't solve the issue Smoke players seem to have with waking up, which is basically getting read on their wakeups. Which would happen with any other character. >_>

My only issue with Smoke is general Triborg stuff. Not having a really solid mid sucks, but it's whatever, given f1 exists. That normal is actually pretty silly. Smoke bombs being slow is fine considering the tracking can be controlled and the fact that they are -6 on block. On a good read, I've snagged people attempting to come in full force really nicely. And I think eventually EX bomb will see good use in the situations we want to use it in. Only extra thing I'd want to see is b1 smoke bomb actually working midscreen, but I wouldn't be surprised if that got the Sub freeze treatment and gets taken away.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Kenshi (Balanced) should actually be able to zone, lol.
He can, the problem is that typically in NRS games to be a viable zoner you still need good utility in close quarters to back yourself up, and well, his normals pre-patch were whack. That's not the case so much anymore. I'd say the buffs to his normals are still more beneficial to Kenjutsu/Possessed overall but it still may be all that's needed as far as making Balanced serviceable for the matchups it should be used in.

The high has 43 recovery frames on whiff. You can run in on kenshi 3/4 screen if that whiffs
There's a little thing in this game called "variations", one of which literally eliminates this from happening if you're that concerned about it.

Scott The Scot

I don't see how. In fact, in certain ways, it's easier. Smoke is one of, what, 2 variations that are capable of using a wakeup no matter what their life is. Also, having a standard wakeup attack wouldn't really solve the problem of being able to get out of the corner. Giving him armor on EX teleport would do nothing for him that EX phase already does better. If they wait on your teleport, they'll punish you anyway. And in the process, you can get your armor broken, get blocked, etc. It honestly wouldn't solve the issue Smoke players seem to have with waking up, which is basically getting read on their wakeups. Which would happen with any other character. >_>

My only issue with Smoke is general Triborg stuff. Not having a really solid mid sucks, but it's whatever, given f1 exists. That normal is actually pretty silly. Smoke bombs being slow is fine considering the tracking can be controlled and the fact that they are -6 on block. On a good read, I've snagged people attempting to come in full force really nicely. And I think eventually EX bomb will see good use in the situations we want to use it in. Only extra thing I'd want to see is b1 smoke bomb actually working midscreen, but I wouldn't be surprised if that got the Sub freeze treatment and gets taken away.
I'm not suggesting giving Ex phase armour or giving him a standard armoured attack (like on Tele). I'm just saying that on wakeup make the distance travelled increased because currently characters can stand in a position where if he wakes up then they can punish but if he doesn't they get pressure - the risk/reward when you think about it isn't exactly in his favour since the opposer can cover two options at once.

F2 is actually a good mid, I don't believe for a second that it's 14 frames. Leads into F21 which is an excellent string. I think F1 is fine, I was playing against BornThroughTheAshes (I think that's the name) and he caught on that I used F1 a lot and just poked me and I had brainwashed myself to believe that F1 was this ultimate tool - it's good but it's not like a counter-poke tool or anything; F4 is great for that. I've changed my game since then lol. Smoke Bomb being -6 is fine if the opponent isn't abusing the fact that everything into it has a gap so you're technically not fully safe cancelling into Smoke Bomb. The tracking is fine but people can forward jump on reaction to the fact that it's 31 frames startup + travelling frames. You can put it infront of them if you think they're going to do a command dash (alien/reptile) or advancing special, which is neat. I think he'd have a more full screen presence if Smoke Bomb was faster. Currently at fullscreen his Smoke Bombs are a joke - it actually makes me scared when I throw one, I feel like I'm going to get punished Kenshi style. I'd love to see B1~Smoke bomb connect on hit (which can be achieved with a faster Smoke Bomb ;) ).

This early on, that's my issues really.
Distance on EX Smoke Towards, B1~SB and Smoke Bomb startup.

I'm open to suggestion of course, it's still early. Maybe I'm stuck in the past with MK9 Smoke. Maybe RSB is dead. Maybe Smoke's only a vortex character and NRS are scared of making him Batgirl.

Espio

Kokomo
Shouldn't people adapt to the current patch first? I have not even adapted fully to Goro and Kitana's changes yet lol.

Scott The Scot

Shouldn't people adapt to the current patch first? I have not even adapted fully to Goro and Kitana's changes yet lol.
Discussion is healthy earlier on. It lets us explore ideas together earlier on so we can all reach the best conclusion in the end. The opinions will probably adapt over time with the gameplay :)