What's new

MKX: The 3 to 6 Month Rule

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
But what happens when so many patches are sent out so early after the game's release when all of the characters have not been fully used and studied which usually takes almost a year to do. What happens is you end up having NRS cop the attitude of "well, we've spent enough hours making over 7-8 patches over the past 3 months, so even though we don't know what other characters are falling short of, to bad, we're done".
Waiting a full year to fix major issues that will bring down the game before 365 days even comes around...?

Things like that are why the classic "half a year" thing doesn't work. This idea is based on the idea that the internet doesn't exist and that players can't spread info as easily as they can now, as well as the idea that the genre of fighting games are extremely new. I used to be a big advocate for waiting a while, but then I saw how SFxT went down, and Injustice lost a ton of steam with its first EVO due to what the hell we were playing come then. Some things are just straight up blatant, and are found early and easily.

But obviously, you won't catch everything early on. Some things take time to develop, such as the tactics and the answers to said tactics. This is why I stress "continuous support" with balance, like they do with MOBAs. Continuous work on the game post-release, with discretion on what needs to be changed.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Alright, here's some stuff that was changed in the FIRST MONTH of Injustice, highlighted some of the ones I feel are more important:

Character Balance Improvements
Aquaman
  • Water of Life Character Power now lasts 2 seconds (down from 2.5) and has an 8 second cool down (increased from 7 seconds)
  • Increased the ability to punish a Trident Scoop (Down, Back, 1) from Aquaman when the defender blocks.
  • Normalized the amount of damage Aquaman inflicts on an opponent while they are blocking his Trident Rush (Down, Forward + 1)
Ares

• Increased viability of Ares’ Teleport when used as a wake up attack.
  • Opponent’s can now perform a tech roll after being knocked down by Ares’ Invading Force (Back+2, 3) combo.
Bane

• Normalized Bane’s backwards throw damage.
  • Slightly increased speed of Bane’s forward dash.
  • Reduced the cooldown on Level 2 Venom Boost to 4.5 seconds (down from 6)
  • Reduced the cooldown on Level 3 Venom Boost to 6 seconds (down from 9)
Catwoman

• Catwoman’s Calico Cut (Forward + 1) attack now hits the opponent Overhead and will hit all opponent hitboxes while they are crouching.
Cyborg

• Cyborg’s In-Air Projectiles are now a HIGH block instead of a MID.
Deathstroke

• Deathstroke now stuns the defender for less time when the defender blocks his gunshots.
  • Deathstroke now deals slightly less damage when the defender blocks his gunshots.
  • Deathstroke now lands slightly slower after performing in-air gunshots.
Doomsday

• Doomsday’s Hunter (1,1,2) combo no longer inflicts full damage while the opponent is blocking.
Green Arrow

• Reduced the amount of block advantage on Green Arrow’s Light It Up (Back+2, 3) combo
Grundy

• A player can now activate a Clash (as a defender) during the 2nd and 3rd hit of Solomon Grundy’s Chain Grabs.
Harley Quinn

• Harley’s Irresistible combo (1 + Away, 2) no longer inflicts full damage while the opponent is blocking.
  • Harley’s Hi Puddin combo(2, Down+3) now has less advantage while the opponent is blocking.
Joker

• Increased Joker’s Wild Character Power HA! duration to 9 seconds (from 6 seconds).
  • Increased Joker’s Wild Character Power Parry Damage to 11%
  • Slightly reduced the start-up frames for Laughing Gas (Down, Forward + 1) and Rolling Laughing Gas (Down, Forward + 2) to allow it to combo consistently on all opponents.
Lobo

• Reduced Lobo’s recovery time while loading his Nuclear Shells Character Power to 49 frames (down from 57).
  • Removed the ability for an opponent to initiate a Clash while being hit by Lobo’s Meter Burn Pump Shots (Down, Forward + 1).
  • Removed the ability for an opponent to initiate a Clash while being hit by Lobo’s Pump Shots (Down, Forward + 1) while his shotgun is loaded with Nuclear Shells.
  • Increased the amount of damage an opponent will receive when blocking Lobo’s Pump Shots (Down, Forward + 1) while his shotgun is loaded with Nuclear Shells.
Raven

• Raven’s Raven Slash (Down+3) attack now has normalized damage.
  • Increased viability of Raven’s Teleport when used as a wake up attack.
Shazam

• Increased viability of Shazam’s Teleport when used as a wake up attack.
  • Shazam’s Herculean Might (Down, Back, Forward + 1) on miss is now -17 (down from -27)
  • Shazam’s Achilles’ Clutch (Down, Back + 1) on miss is now -21 (down from -35)
  • Shazam’s Solomon’s Judgment Character Power now activates faster
  • Normalized reaction time for Shazam after escaping an opponent’s throw attempt.
Sinestro

• Normalized Sinestro’s Backwards Throw Damage
  • Arachnid Sting (Down, Forward 2) is now has a block advantage of -12 (down from -36) and is a Mid attack (changed from High).
  • Beware Your Fears Character Power activation time decreased to 1.66 seconds (down from 2 seconds).
Superman

• Normalized the amount of damage scaling on Superman’s combos.
  • Normalized Superman’s damage scaling while using his Steel Rush (Forward+2, Down+1) combo.
Wonder Woman

• Wonder Woman’s Knee Chop (Down+1) attack now inflicts normalized damage during hit and while an opponent is blocking.

===v1.02 Patch Notes===

As part of the May 7th Compatibility Pack update, NetherRealm has released v1.02 patch for the Injustice: Gods Among Us video game. The v1.02 patch addresses several performance tweaks and enhancements to the game. The list of changes for patch v1.02 are provided below:

Code fixes

• Added Lobo Gameplay Functionality.
  • Strengthened the stability of online connections between different connections, resulting in less de-synchronizations.
  • Added the ability to initiate a transition attack when the defender is at an elevated position.
  • Removed the ability for two gadget characters to both place bombs at the same time on some Interactive Objects.
Balance tweaks

• Increased overall combo damage scaling after a knockdown from Interactive Objects.
  • Increased overall combo damage scaling on planted sticky bombs (Down + Interact button) pop-up combos.
  • You can no longer initiate a clash on Killer Frost’s Ice Spike outside of a combo.
  • The hitsphere on Doomsday’s jumping splash was adjusted to be slightly smaller and more in line with the original intention.
  • Players land slightly further apart after Arkham/Joker Asylum and Insurgency transitions to make it easier to avoid the ability to use an Interactive Object immediately after landing.

Oh, let's not forget Superman's Supermove was 2 frames and an overhead. Again, I keep going back to Superman. When the big balance patch came in September you know what they changed about Superman? The stuff people had been complaining about since month 1: breath being plus, his strong supermove, F2's hitbox, corner damage, recovery frames for his zoning. People wanted these all changed early on in the game's life and didn't need a year to figure it out. Some stuff is just blatant and needs changing. To sit there and want NO changes before the six month mark helps no one. Let me remind people of the struggle.

Superman/Ares was a slaughter. At the beginning of a match Ares could do little else but block, maybe neutral jump, in fear of a F2. Many Ares players talked about how little they could do because of F23~breath. People want 6 months until balance not realizing that, in those 6 months, they could get players dropping the game in frustration and it could become a few character game (as IGAU was for a bit). It's insane.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Alright, here's some stuff that was changed in the FIRST MONTH of Injustice, highlighted some of the ones I feel are more important:

Aquaman
  • Water of Life Character Power now lasts 2 seconds (down from 2.5) and has an 8 second cool down (increased from 7 seconds)
  • Increased the ability to punish a Trident Scoop (Down, Back, 1) from Aquaman when the defender blocks.
  • Normalized the amount of damage Aquaman inflicts on an opponent while they are blocking his Trident Rush (Down, Forward + 1)
Ares

• Opponent’s can now perform a tech roll after being knocked down by Ares’ Invading Force (Back+2, 3) combo.
Bane

Catwoman

• Catwoman’s Calico Cut (Forward + 1) attack now hits the opponent Overhead and will hit all opponent hitboxes while they are crouching.
Cyborg

Deathstroke

• Deathstroke now stuns the defender for less time when the defender blocks his gunshots.
  • Deathstroke now deals slightly less damage when the defender blocks his gunshots.
Doomsday

• Doomsday’s Hunter (1,1,2) combo no longer inflicts full damage while the opponent is blocking.
Green Arrow

• Reduced the amount of block advantage on Green Arrow’s Light It Up (Back+2, 3) combo
Grundy

• A player can now activate a Clash (as a defender) during the 2nd and 3rd hit of Solomon Grundy’s Chain Grabs.
Harley Quinn

• Harley’s Irresistible combo (1 + Away, 2) no longer inflicts full damage while the opponent is blocking.
  • Harley’s Hi Puddin combo(2, Down+3) now has less advantage while the opponent is blocking.
Joker

• Increased Joker’s Wild Character Power HA! duration to 9 seconds (from 6 seconds).
  • Slightly reduced the start-up frames for Laughing Gas (Down, Forward + 1) and Rolling Laughing Gas (Down, Forward + 2) to allow it to combo consistently on all opponents.
Lobo

• Reduced Lobo’s recovery time while loading his Nuclear Shells Character Power to 49 frames (down from 57).
  • Removed the ability for an opponent to initiate a Clash while being hit by Lobo’s Meter Burn Pump Shots (Down, Forward + 1).
  • Removed the ability for an opponent to initiate a Clash while being hit by Lobo’s Pump Shots (Down, Forward + 1) while his shotgun is loaded with Nuclear Shells.
  • Increased the amount of damage an opponent will receive when blocking Lobo’s Pump Shots (Down, Forward + 1) while his shotgun is loaded with Nuclear Shells.
Raven

Shazam

• Shazam’s Herculean Might (Down, Back, Forward + 1) on miss is now -17 (down from -27)
  • Normalized reaction time for Shazam after escaping an opponent’s throw attempt.
Sinestro

• Arachnid Sting (Down, Forward 2) is now has a block advantage of -12 (down from -36) and is a Mid attack (changed from High).
  • Beware Your Fears Character Power activation time decreased to 1.66 seconds (down from 2 seconds).
Superman

• Normalized Superman’s damage scaling while using his Steel Rush (Forward+2, Down+1) combo.
Wonder Woman

• Wonder Woman’s Knee Chop (Down+1) attack now inflicts normalized damage during hit and while an opponent is blocking.

===v1.02 Patch Notes===

As part of the May 7th Compatibility Pack update, NetherRealm has released v1.02 patch for the Injustice: Gods Among Us video game. The v1.02 patch addresses several performance tweaks and enhancements to the game. The list of changes for patch v1.02 are provided below:

Code fixes

• Strengthened the stability of online connections between different connections, resulting in less de-synchronizations.
  • Added the ability to initiate a transition attack when the defender is at an elevated position.
  • Removed the ability for two gadget characters to both place bombs at the same time on some Interactive Objects.
Balance tweaks

• Increased overall combo damage scaling after a knockdown from Interactive Objects.
  • Increased overall combo damage scaling on planted sticky bombs (Down + Interact button) pop-up combos.
  • You can no longer initiate a clash on Killer Frost’s Ice Spike outside of a combo.
  • The hitsphere on Doomsday’s jumping splash was adjusted to be slightly smaller and more in line with the original intention.
  • Players land slightly further apart after Arkham/Joker Asylum and Insurgency transitions to make it easier to avoid the ability to use an Interactive Object immediately after landing.

Oh, let's not forget Superman's Supermove was 2 frames and an overhead. Again, I keep going back to Superman. When the big balance patch came in September you know what they changed about Superman? The stuff people had been complaining about since month 1: breath being plus, his strong supermove, F2's hitbox, corner damage, recovery frames for his zoning. People wanted these all changed early on in the game's life and didn't need a year to figure it out. Some stuff is just blatant and needs changing. To sit there and want NO changes before the six month mark helps no one. Let me remind people of the struggle.

Superman/Ares was a slaughter. At the beginning of a match Ares could do little else but block, maybe neutral jump, in fear of a F2. Many Ares players talked about how little they could do because of F23~breath. People want 6 months until balance not realizing that, in those 6 months, they could get players dropping the game in frustration and it could become a few character game (as IGAU was for a bit). It's insane.
/thread

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I disagree with a lot of you. I think theirs going to be a lot of stuff that is broken on release that needs to be fixed. I say a patch every 3 months I don't want another kabal or MMH.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
But what happens when so many patches are sent out so early after the game's release when all of the characters have not been fully used and studied which usually takes almost a year to do. What happens is you end up having NRS cop the attitude of "well, we've spent enough hours making over 7-8 patches over the past 3 months, so even though we don't know what other characters are falling short of, to bad, we're done".
False dilemma.
NRS will have to do tech support early anyway, and they will probably drop it completely after about half a year regardless. So the choice is not between having patches early or late, it's more about having them in the first 6 months or not having them at all if you don't like "early" patches.

Knowing NRS, I'd rather see them patching their stuff.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
@Compbros is bang on in my opinion. People get so caught up raging about the unnecessary patches (arguably Deathstroke, KF, Raiden in MK9) that they forget that some patches are absolutely necessary.If anything, F23 and breath should have been patched even sooner. Injustice never really recovered from the shitshow that was Evo Top 8 2013.

In my opinion, anything which is demonstrably BROKEN should be patched ASAP, and preferably before Evo. This doesn't mean overpowered, this means BROKEN. Not Deathstroke's pistols but Superman's....well, everything. Broken doesn't have to mean an infinite or a 10-0, it just means overpowered to the point of ridiculousness. Like pre-patch Superman. Let smaller stuff ride for a few months to see how everyone's taking it and don't destroy anyone like Scorpion in Injustice.

I'm kind of surprised so many people want to see vanilla, unpatched MKX at Evo. IGAU took so much damage from KDZ's Superman that day, I'd make it priority number one to prevent that happening to MKX. MKX could and should be the NRS equivalent of SFIV. Our flagship, the cornerstone of our community for the next decade plus. I don't expect balance patches over a decade but in the first few months, NRS has to be quick and communicate with the top players over stuff like pre-patch Superman, IMO anyway.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I like NRS' system for patches.
I prefer it to having to re-buy the game every year.

god dont fucking remind me of that mu.. The memories. *shiver*

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele

Aquaman
Ares

Bane

Catwoman

Cyborg

Deathstroke

Doomsday

Green Arrow

Grundy

Harley Quinn

Joker

Lobo

Raven

Shazam

Sinestro

Superman

Wonder Woman

===v1.02 Patch Notes===

Code fixes

Balance tweaks

Finally someone said it.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
The game is never going to be perfectly balanced, there will always be character tiers. The only time patches should be used is for glitches and truly game breaking stuff.

I love how ppl act like patches are what will save a game. Realistically speaking, a game will not die if ppl keep supporting it (Smash says hi and they haven't got a patch in idk when and even mk9 has not gone anywhere as well and that game was supposed to be completely "dead"). Marvel has thrived on being a game with infinites, unblockables, and etc. and that has not changed. Now I understand we aren't the smash community and we don't want a game like marvel, but I hope u guys realize that ppl from other communities who try to play our game do not like the super frequent early patches and then that leading to no patches being left/ those patches force them to have to change up what they were doing with the character as well.

Edit: I still say infinites and glitches early on and go from there, but if some other things are too "OP" (at least in the opinions of some) then aye don't be salty when about 2 yrs in the game comes and then be like "We Need One More patch!", well boo hoo no more patches.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
it isn't about how frequent patches happen

its the fact that after about a year and a half.... the game gets no more support.

Things become stale. Especially once everything is fleshed out, and we know NOTHING will change.
No one wants to do the same thing over and over and over and over.

It honestly has nothing to do with OP this... OP that.... broken this... broken that.

Patches breathe a breathe of fresh air. They mix up the game just enough.

There will always be the need for "one more patch" to satisfy that inherent need to see/do something new and different.

its the fact that after about a year and a half.... the game gets no more support.

Things become stale. Especially once everything is fleshed out, and we know NOTHING will change.

It honestly has nothing to do with OP this... OP that.... broken this... broken that.

There will always be the need for "one more patch" to satisfy that inherent need to see/do something new and different.
Yeah this makes sense, but NRS/WB have a specific model they follow with the dlc and what not, so some patches will happen no matter what. The other ones just depend

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
It's easy to say, when the game hasn't actually come out yet, "don't patch it for 6 months". I can almost guarantee that most of the people saying that will be the first ones to start crying when pre-patch Superman returns in MKX. This thread should be stickied so we can come back on April 21st and see who's on the Wall of Shame.

This isn't some fairy tale where if you just work hard enough, and persevere for long enough, all of your dreams will come true. Some things are just outright stupid and need to be fixed.

I'm not saying they should patch things immediately (Scorpion says hi), but I'm also not saying we should just keep waiting in the hope that someone will answer our prayers, because by that time people will have gotten fed up with paying to go to tournaments just to lose to the same, stupid shit over and over again.

Not that this all matters much anyway. NRS doesn't exactly decide what to patch and when, based on how much bitching (or lack thereof) TYM does.

So MKX is just a little over a month from being released, and I know we have had these kind of threads in the past but I want to bring this issue back to the forefront, when is a good time for NRS to release a patch for the game? I for one am not a fan of constantly patching a game, I feel that all the bullshit that is found in the initial release should either A. (Be banned from competitive play when found.) & B (Be addressed & fixed when the patch is released). Now I know NRS are capable to release quiet hot fixes to the game when they please so I'm sure they will be able to fix the small problems in the game, but as for the big issues they should all be found, compiled and fixed in one big patch, instead of here n there. I just don't want to have a repeat of what was MK9 as far as characters getting the nerf bat and never getting their competitive edge back, like jade, kano, ect. I mean do you guys agree that patches shouldn't happen off the back? Or do some of u plan to scream ur head off for patches, if there is something or someone who you think is OP & unfair in the game?

it is impossible to balance a game in one patch. You have to let the players expose the games weakness first and that doesnt happen in a month or 2. It takes time for eveyone to learn how some characters can be taken advantage of. NOT POSSIBLE.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

I disagree with this statement. Smash/Marvel haven't had a patch in 10/3 years respectively and are the top 3 entered games. Skull girls, DoA, and KI get tons of support and 2 struggle to make main games at tournaments and the other has been beaten in entrant numbers by MK9 recently. It's about if people want to play the game, the players keep games alive and support, or lack thereof, doesn't matter in the slightest if a lot of people are still willing to play the game. Injustice could've gotten a patch last November and it wouldn't be doing much better, if better at all, then it is now. I find this whole "you need to keep the game fresh for people to keep playing" to be hearsay.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I disagree with this statement. Smash/Marvel haven't had a patch in 10/3 years respectively and are the top 3 entered games. Skull girls, DoA, and KI get tons of support and 2 struggle to make main games at tournaments and the other has been beaten in entrant numbers by MK9 recently. It's about if people want to play the game, the players keep games alive and support, or lack thereof, doesn't matter in the slightest if a lot of people are still willing to play the game. Injustice could've gotten a patch last November and it wouldn't be doing much better, if better at all, then it is now. I find this whole "you need to keep the game fresh for people to keep playing" to be hearsay.
Smash isn't in the FGC, though, so it's on a different model.

Look at how many more people started entering SF4 again when Ultra dropped. It was like a big breath of fresh air into the scene.

It is true that communities need more than developer support to thrive. But if your game is broken or has major issues that keep people from wanting to play it, continuing support can sometimes make the difference between life and death.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Smash isn't in the FGC, though, so it's on a different model.

Look at how many more people started entering SF4 again when Ultra dropped. It was like a big breath of fresh air into the scene.

It is true that communities need more than developer support to thrive. But if your game is broken or has major issues that keep people from wanting to play it, continuing support can sometimes make the difference between life and death.
Disagree but that's another argument.

Did Injustice/MK9 get a boom after dlc/patching? SFXT got a big patch a year later but the damage was done but they got a boom after the 12 characters released. Skull girls got a boom after Encode but it faded again. New characters/balancing usually have an initial boom before interest dies out again.

Marvel is broken as all hell.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Did Injustice/MK9 get a boom after dlc/patching? SFXT got a big patch a year later but the damage was done but they got a boom after the 12 characters released. Skull girls got a boom after Encode but it faded again. New characters/balancing usually have an initial boom before interest dies out again.
I believe the Oct. patch saved competitive Injustice. It's also when a lot of scenes "like GGA" really started to care more about playing the game again. WNF IGAU was also nearly dead before it, and got a second lease on life.

And yeah, Cross Tekken is the perfect example of why it has to be *continuing* support. All the "let it rock" guys are the only people left when people get tied of a game's issues and leave. If SFxT had been patched a lot earlier, they probably could have saved the game, but wait until a community dies and it's too late.

It's easy to say, when the game hasn't actually come out yet, "don't patch it for 6 months". I can almost guarantee that most of the people saying that will be the first ones to start crying when pre-patch Superman returns in MKX. This thread should be stickied so we can come back on April 21st and see who's on the Wall of Shame.

This isn't some fairy tale where if you just work hard enough, and persevere for long enough, all of your dreams will come true. Some things are just outright stupid and need to be fixed.

I'm not saying they should patch things immediately (Scorpion says hi), but I'm also not saying we should just keep waiting in the hope that someone will answer our prayers, because by that time people will have gotten fed up with paying to go to tournaments just to lose to the same, stupid shit over and over again.

Not that this all matters much anyway. NRS doesn't exactly decide what to patch and when, based on how much bitching (or lack thereof) TYM does.
I wasn't apart of the MMH craze, scorpion craze, DS mob hunt, and etc. So I will definitely not be one of the " criers".

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So, everyone likes to ape this old, tired talking point of, "DERP-DERP, NRS Doesn't Support its gamez! Guuuurrrrr!"

And YET...

We had the Batgirl Flying Bat infinite AND The Sinestro Pushblock glitch hotfixed AFTER the last patch was complete.

Stop regurgitating other people's thoughts and think for yourself.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Marvel is broken as all hell.
Marvel is only allowed to be that broken for two reasons:

1) That's what people like about the franchise -- if it was say, Street Fighter, people would by crying bloody murder

2) Support for the franchise was dropped, the license expired and it's the last version people will ever get, so they're holding on for dear life.

These rules don't apply to any other game.

Last edited:
So, everyone likes to ape this old, tired talking point of, "DERP-DERP, NRS Doesn't Support its gamez! Guuuurrrrr!"

And YET...

We had the Batgirl Flying Bat infinite AND The Sinestro Pushblock glitch hotfixed AFTER the last patch was complete.

Stop regurgitating other people's thoughts and think for yourself.
True yet ppl still complained about other things anyways (MMH, AM, BG (her vortex mainly) and etc). But there will always be the want for (one more patch)