What's new

MKX: The 3 to 6 Month Rule

Well there will be a patch day 1 that's for sure. Are people going to complain about a balance patch day 1 when they haven't gotten a chance to learn their character? I mean how dare NRS.

Also if there is a character with Superman's f2,1 and corner damage, please count me in for wanting another patch day 2. Thank you.

I don't get the thought that however the day 1 release plays that is supposed to be exactly how the game is supposed to play and every patch ruins that experience.

Every NRS patch has improved their game. Let them patch.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
True yet ppl still complained about other things anyways (MMH, AM, BG (her vortex mainly) and etc). But there will always be the want for (one more patch)
I personally don't even really think that Batgirl is that bad. You can punish her dash-ins, you can anti-air her jump-ins, bolas deal no chip, nor do batarangs, and REO revealed that you can backdash some of her Batwheel options. Those are her primary ways to get in.

Also, I never bought the, "MMH is the Kabal of the game" talk. Even to this day.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I personally don't even really think that Batgirl is that bad. You can punish her dash-ins, you can anti-air her jump-ins, bolas deal no chip, nor do batarangs, and REO revealed that you can backdash some of her Batwheel options. Those are her primary ways to get in.

Also, I never bought the, "MMH is the Kabal of the game" talk. Even to this day.
All it takes is one hit. ONE. HIT. and the guessing games begin.

As far as Martian goes, he may as well be the Kabal of the game just because he dominates a lot of characters (Cyborg, GA, Joker, GL, Ares to name a few that are 7-3 or better for Martian) and can just about do anything, he's that well rounded...and then some.

Yeah MMH has nvr really bothered me much nor has AM. For batgirl I feel I could have played it better against Sonicfox at evo but nonetheless he put that work in.

As far as Martian goes, he may as well be the Kabal of the game just because he dominates a lot of characters (Cyborg, GA, Joker, GL, Ares to name a few that are 7-3 or better for Martian) and can just about do anything, he's that well rounded...and then some.
Yeah he is pretty much the best character in the opinion of most ppl. He is dominant and very strong, so in terms of injustice I can see why some call him the "kabal of injustice" since no one beats him.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

The same could be said of Killer Frost, and she's not considered broken. Her way to get in is safe and starts a guessing game between the KF player and yourself.

Is it possible that part of why Batgirl seems so dominant is because not enough people had a high level Batgirl to train against regularly? Is it possible that people would lose and immediately panic instead of learning her spacing? I mean, it's not like the NRS community is known for its rationality when talking about things they lose to.

Four of the characters you named are considered low-tier by the community. I'm sure they lose 7-3 to a lot of characters. He's well rounded, but does he have any block infinites? Because Kabal did on large hitbox characters.
I would argue that if we're talking about characters that are Kabal-like in dominance in Injustice, Aquaman is a bit closer than Martian.

I find fighting Martian a lot easier to do than fighting Kabal in MK9.

TYM will send this game to die due to the knee jerk reactions if what happened to injustice is anything to go by. I remember Tom Brady and Reo making a video telling people to stop whinning about deathstroke's guns when the game wasn't even 3 months old. The video proved you could get in and punish deathstrokes zoning if you played smart but everyone ignored it. My point is if this community isn't careful with the knee jerk reactions the second something remotely seems broken than history will repeat itself. We know from the past new fighting games are broken and unbalanced when they first release. I don't want another black atom and superman moment and I have faith NRS doesn't ether so lets .........let NRS do their job. The fixes will come just be patient and don't threaten to quit the game. We don't need another divided community.

haketh

Noob
Welcome to fighting games, get used to it or get packing

Right now we're all assuming MKX Day One is going to be MK9 or IGAU levels of dumb on release, yeah it's a safe bet but lets imagine it's more SFIV level on release. Some characters might be clearly the best on release but that's not bad nor something that needs to be patched in the first 3-6 months unless it's some way out of pocket shit.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Welcome to fighting games, get used to it or get packing

Right now we're all assuming MKX Day One is going to be MK9 or IGAU levels of dumb on release, yeah it's a safe bet but lets imagine it's more SFIV level on release. Some characters might be clearly the best on release but that's not bad nor something that needs to be patched in the first 3-6 months unless it's some way out of pocket shit.
That's honestly what I'm expecting and hoping for, but we won't know until the game drops.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Both MK9 and Injustice would've died in the first year if NRS didn't patch their games. This is undeniable. Sure, maybe there's a few misses or a couple changes they make that don't work out, but when you look at the grand scheme of things the patches are huge in keeping the game afloat. Especially when you have stuff like Cyrax command grab, Kabal block infinites, Superman f2,1, Interactables, Black Adam runaway, and the list goes on and on.

They know what they're doing. More than most of us here. Let them do their job and stop acting like you know more about games then they do.

People need to stop being stuck in the past and say patching is bad. Some things just can't stay in the game. You have people saying oh lol you think that is broke? you don't even know what really broke is!

First of all how is that even an argument? Are they just salty they were stuck playing shitty games with infinites and unblockables and want other people to suffer as well?

Notice how people who say: back in my day... never actually provide arguments for the discussion. They just state how (shitty) it used to be. That is not an argument. A lot of people, especially fg players from other scenes, were the people who had a knee jerk reaction when scorpion came into injustice. These are the same players who tell you to adapt to block infinites and 80% combos. Hypocrits...

The argument against constant patching is stupid, because they want nrs to adapt to their policy instead of the other way around. You must be braindead if you can't keep up with the patches because it really is not that hard. A lot of people also say they can't keep up because mk isnt their main game. Well Nrs didnt make mk so you could play it as a side game and leave the scene when you start getting bodied.

These players are welcome and we want them to join us in playing mk, but not if it is just a side game for them to earn quick money by abusing the brokeness of the early version of the game and leave when they start to lose.

Both MK9 and Injustice would've died in the first year if NRS didn't patch their games. This is undeniable. Sure, maybe there's a few misses or a couple changes they make that don't work out, but when you look at the grand scheme of things the patches are huge in keeping the game afloat. Especially when you have stuff like Cyrax command grab, Kabal block infinites, Superman f2,1, Interactables, Black Adam runaway, and the list goes on and on.

They know what they're doing. More than most of us here. Let them do their job and stop acting like you know more about games then they do.
I already said infinites and glitches early on. Everything else at least see if something will be found. I am sure MKX is going to go the same route tho with patching and honestly I can deal with it. But like I said, some of the same ppl who think consistent patching is necessary become the same ones who complain about how the game was patched.

People need to stop being stuck in the past and say patching is bad. Some things just can't stay in the game. You have people saying oh lol you think that is broke? you don't even know what really broke is!

First of all how is that even an argument? Are they just salty they were stuck playing shitty games with infinites and unblockables and want other people to suffer as well?

Notice how people who say: back in my day... never actually provide arguments for the discussion. They just state how (shitty) it used to be. That is not an argument. A lot of people, especially fg players from other scenes, were the people who had a knee jerk reaction when scorpion came into injustice. These are the same players who tell you to adapt to block infinites and 80% combos. Hypocrits...

The argument against constant patching is stupid, because they want nrs to adapt to their policy instead of the other way around. You must be braindead if you can't keep up with the patches because it really is not that hard. A lot of people also say they can't keep up because mk isnt their main game. Well Nrs didnt make mk so you could play it as a side game and leave the scene when you start getting bodied.

These players are welcome and we want them to join us in playing mk, but not if it is just a side game for them to earn quick money by abusing the brokeness of the early version of the game and leave when they start to lose.
I am getting really tired of the word "broken" being thrown around tbh lol, like when ppl said DS guns were broke or scorpion was broke........ smh.
Edit: Why is it ok that a lower tier character (like sub zero) gets nerfed and has to deal with the aftermath of that? Sorry but that logic is flawed and I am sure many disagree with that rational.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I already said infinites and glitches early on. Everything else at least see if something will be found. I am sure MKX is going to go the same route tho with patching and honestly I can deal with it. But like I said, some of the same ppl who think consistent patching is necessary become the same ones who complain about how the game was patched.

I'll ask you then, what could've been found for Superman? With all the knowledge we have of the game, what was the answer?

I'll ask you then, what could've been found for Superman? With all the knowledge we have of the game, what was the answer?
How about not patching DS or AM (which were too legit options against supes). I will admit that superman was super good and I didn't like playing versus him; however, like kabal I would have eventually found a way to beat superman players consistently. I grind things and try to overcome things that are very strong in fighting games (something many on this site don't even do or just whine all day lmao). Example: ppl thought AM was just going to take evo no problem and that would be it pretty much, yet me and no one were able to defeat Theo who was the strongest AM player......
P.S: I am not saying leave in infinites and grind those lol, I am rational with what I believe is too good.
And: what do ppl have to say about characters like jade who got nerfed for some odd reason and then u got MMH getting a buff........ Something is not adding up

To end my long post, no matter how MKX is patched, I will support it no matter what cuz MK is my favorite fighting game franchise and NRS is legit. Ok that was longer than expected.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
How about not patching DS or AM (which were too legit options against supes). I will admit that superman was super good and I didn't like playing versus him; however, like kabal I would have eventually found a way to beat superman players consistently. I grind things and try to overcome things that are very strong in fighting games (something many on this site don't even do or just whine all day lmao). Example: ppl thought AM was just going to take evo no problem and that would be it pretty much, yet me and no one were able to defeat Theo who was the strongest AM player......
P.S: I am not saying leave in infinites and grind those lol, I am rational with what I believe is too good.
If you believe Supes was fine then you aren't being rational lol. He needed the adjustments, although one could argue they overnerfed him a little bit.

It is pointless to argue about patching because the way they do it is inevitable: First week patch, patch with every DLC, and one final patch a year or so in. Then maybe a hotfix or two if something truly broken arises. I want to be optimistic that they will continue patching after a year and a half but I just don't think it is feasible. Would love for them to make me eat those words.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
And: what do ppl have to say about characters like jade who got nerfed for some odd reason and then u got MMH getting a buff........ Something is not adding up

I say this with the straightest face possible: the Superman situation was worse than Kabal. Injustice's mechanics don't allow for you to get in on zoning like dash cancelling in MK9 and IGAU is so weird with it's neutral but Superman blew people out the water with F2. You say you would've found a way around Superman but Superman players also would've evolved. Having the knowledge of the character we have now while playing the pre-patch Superman would have been horrifying. Sure, players may have been able to scratch and claw their way to beating the character but is that worth the life of the game?

If you believe Supes was fine then you aren't being rational lol. He needed the adjustments, although one could argue they overnerfed him a little bit.

It is pointless to argue about patching because the way they do it is inevitable: First week patch, patch with every DLC, and one final patch a year or so in. Then maybe a hotfix or two if something truly broken arises. I want to be optimistic that they will continue patching after a year and a half but I just don't think it is feasible. Would love for them to make me eat those words.
I never said he was "fine" lol that is putting words into my mouth. Second thing is, we all hope for this "balanced game" when none will ever reach that anyways cuz it is impossible. Also if u want me to be honest, no superman wasn't broke. Broke to me is where no one has a chance really. (ST akuma says hi or mk trilogy noob). Many may not agree, but that doesn't matter. My issue is that people go from nerfing a top tier to a mid tier and that is where things go wrong.

I am getting really tired of the word "broken" being thrown around tbh lol, like when ppl said DS guns were broke or scorpion was broke........ smh.
Edit: Why is it ok that a lower tier character (like sub zero) gets nerfed and has to deal with the aftermath of that? Sorry but that logic is flawed and I am sure many disagree with that rational.
Patches can go wrong as well. That is obvious. Mk9 was NRS' first try at competitive gaming and subzero suffered from it. Injustice wasn't perfect either. But at the end of the day both games were better when patched. I trust NRS to do an even better job this time around.

I say this with the straightest face possible: the Superman situation was worse than Kabal. Injustice's mechanics don't allow for you to get in on zoning like dash cancelling in MK9 and IGAU is so weird with it's neutral but Superman blew people out the water with F2. You say you would've found a way around Superman but Superman players also would've evolved. Having the knowledge of the character we have now while playing the pre-patch Superman would have been horrifying. Sure, players may have been able to scratch and claw their way to beating the character but is that worth the life of the game?
Nah u have no clue about kabal if u think superman was worse lol. Second thing, yep I would have found something and I am confident saying that (if I can handle kabal I can handle supes). Also nvr said it was worth the life of the game, but I have a serious issue with ppl going from patching one top tier to just trying to patch everything they feel is too good or "broke".

I never said he was "fine" lol that is putting words into my mouth. Second thing is, we all hope for this "balanced game" when none will ever reach that anyways cuz it is impossible. Also if u want me to be honest, no superman wasn't broke. Broke to me is where no one has a chance really. (ST akuma says hi or mk trilogy noob). Many may not agree, but that doesn't matter. My issue is that people go from nerfing a top tier to a mid tier and that is where things go wrong.
Does it really matter whether something is deemed broke? Pre patch superman with f2 and 80% in the corner was not acceptable. Plus he had better projectiles and if you add in the tech they found after the nerfs, superman was probably the best character nrs created because he would lock you down with f2, you could get hit with an 80% combo into the corner and guess a dive bomb and if you guessed wrong you would be dead.

Patching is for making a better game. I don't know what to say if you don't agree with injustice being a beter game without vanilla superman. Your brother might have won 2 games at evo in 2013 if it weren't for that...

Patches can go wrong as well. That is obvious. Mk9 was NRS' first try at competitive gaming and subzero suffered from it. Injustice wasn't perfect either. But at the end of the day both games were better when patched. I trust NRS to do an even better job this time around.
Oh I agree, I definitely agree that they are doing better and continue doing so. I just would like that some things ppl wouldn't go too crazy over and try to work around them first. I think with variations things will definitely go in the right direction.

Does it really matter whether something is deemed broke? Pre patch superman with f2 and 80% in the corner was not acceptable. Plus he had better projectiles and if you add in the tech they found after the nerfs, superman was probably the best character nrs created because he would lock you down with f2, you could get hit with an 80% combo into the corner and guess a dive bomb and if you guessed wrong you would be dead.

Patching is for making a better game. I don't know what to say if you don't agree with injustice being a beter game without vanilla superman. Your brother might have won 2 games at evo in 2013 if it weren't for that...
I never said it was a better game with him lol, I just said I don't think he was "broke". Like I stated above, broke to me means no one has a chance. I do not think that there were no characters that had a chance vs superman. Also add in zod, batgirl, MMH, and etc. and that would just add to the list. Overall, I am definitely not saying the patch on supes was a bad thing. Also if ppl don't remember, Chris g was able to consistently beat kdz with black Adam (tho Adam was obviously a top tier, I am just saying this because ppl think superman was completely unstoppable). Also kabal is better than supes free, I doubt any who think superman was worse than kabal would even land a round off of top kabal players like Detroit and REO/ they never dealt with kabals on that lvl.

Oh I agree, I definitely agree that they are doing better and continue doing so. I just would like that some things ppl wouldn't go too crazy over and try to work around them first. I think with variations things will definitely go in the right direction.
You are absolutely right. There is a difference between crying and things that need to go. It really depends on Nrs' judgement.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Nah u have no clue about kabal if u think superman was worse lol. Second thing, yep I would have found something and I am confident saying that (if I can handle kabal I can handle supes). Also nvr said it was worth the life of the game, but I have a serious issue with ppl going from patching one top tier to just trying to patch everything they feel is too good or "broke".

As a person that is HORRIBLE in the Kabal match up I can say, personally, I found Superman much worse.

Pressure: Kabal.

Zoning: Superman. Dash blocking allows you to close the distance much quicker in MK9 while ducking/getting chipped. A dash is a commitment in IGAU and the walk speed isn't great.

Corner: Superman. Pressure, damage, set ups, all better than Kabal.

Damage: Superman.

Superman is the most complete top tier character NRS has produced recently, he has everything you could possibly want in a character and you don't need heavy execution.

This was an already nerfed Superman

This guy needed work, and that's my entire thing. Some characters need work. Whether buffing or nerfing, some characters need work. To have NRS sit on their hands for 6 months while dealing with any nonsense that could occur is insane.

I never said it was a better game with him lol, I just said I don't think he was "broke". Like I stated above, broke to me means no one has a chance. I do not think that there were no characters that had a chance vs superman. Also add in zod, batgirl, MMH, and etc. and that would just add to the list. Overall, I am definitely not saying the patch on supes was a bad thing. Also if ppl don't remember, Chris g was able to consistently beat kdz with black Adam (tho Adam was obviously a top tier, I am just saying this because ppl think superman was completely unstoppable). Also kabal is better than supes free, I doubt any who think superman was worse than kabal would even land a round off of top kabal players like Detroit and REO/ they never dealt with kabals on that lvl.
People nowadays use broke in the sense that something is overpowered. I have always believed that small changes being better than drastic changes. Imo the best way would be to implement really small nerfs or buffs and from there on see how the character does. Like scorpion would have been fine if they made small changes but they pretty much clipped his wings.