What's new

MKX: The 3 to 6 Month Rule

haketh

Noob
Ok. I can't force you to argue if that's what you simply choose to believe.
I mean like I'm not the biggest fan of SFIV but if you don't think it's pretty damn well balanced you're tripping. You got a ton of that variety people have been asking for in one one of the most competitive scenes we've seen in FGs in a looooooong ass time.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I mean like I'm not the biggest fan of SFIV but if you don't think it's pretty damn well balanced you're tripping. You got a ton of that variety people have been asking for in one one of the most competitive scenes we've seen in FGs in a looooooong ass time.
I'll regress saying SF4 isn't decently balanced now. I mean it's been what, 7 years since SF4 was released? I'd hope it's balanced by now. But Capcom didn't fair too much better than NRS when it came to balance upon SF4's release. The struggle was quite real with vanilla Ryu and Sagat running the show.

And again, Capcom has the luxury of polishing their game on their own soil before it comes to America. I'm sure if NRS released a game in the States and let us all play it for a year before releasing it overseas then Japan would think our games are super polished too.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
And again, Capcom has the luxury of polishing their game on their own soil before it comes to America. I'm sure if NRS released a game in the States and let us all play it for a year before releasing it overseas then Japan would think our games are super polished too.
Yup not just on their own soil, but also with a months-long arcade pre-console release and extensive location testing.

This is why I always say that how much/when a game needs patching depends on a whole set of conditions -- it's not just some number you can pull out of thin air to be right for every game.

Yeah it would be nice if we got that continued support after a year, but NRS moves on to other games and they have to put their effort towards the new game they are making. Now if we could wait a while during some period of time while MKX is out and gather up a bunch of info then have one final big patch, that'd be great but we will never even have the chance of that if patches are used way too much combined with the DLC mandatory patches that are issued. First year, ok get some patches for some things here and there but let's not get too carried away because I am positive NRS has a limit to how many patches they can utilize because I am pretty sure (and correct me if i'm wrong) that patches aren't cheap.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Yeah it would be nice if we got that continued support after a year, but NRS moves on to other games and they have to put their effort towards the new game they are making. Now if we could wait a while during some period of time while MKX is out and gather up a bunch of info then have one final big patch, that'd be great but we will never even have the chance of that if patches are used way too much combined with the DLC mandatory patches that are issued. First year, ok get some patches for some things here and there but let's not get too carried away because I am positive NRS has a limit to how many patches they can utilize because I am pretty sure (and correct me if i'm wrong) that patches aren't cheap.
I'm pretty sure they have a time when they're done supporting the game, and then the development team, budget, and QA staff moves elsewhere.

It doesn't matter if there were 2 patches released during the game's life, or 6; when the time's up it's up.

I'm hoping that model doesn't apply to MKX, but the concept of "using patches way too much" is just something people made up on the forums.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
They definitely aren't cheap I read they are like 40K, but this was 3 years ago so it might have changed.

I'm pretty sure they have a time when they're done supporting the game, and then the development team, budget, and QA staff moves elsewhere.

It doesn't matter if there were 2 patches released during the game's life, or 6; when the time's up it's up.

I'm hoping that model doesn't apply to MKX, but the concept of "using patches way too much" is just something people made up on the forums.
I actually do not think that is the case, i think they did have a final patch for MK9 but the funds weren't there for it cuz they used up the funds on all the other patches and had to work on injustice afterwards. No one knows whether or not they had one more patch left for mk9, so i guess we will have to leave it at that. Overall, I hope in MKX characters don't get unjustly nerfed or buffed (very hard to do this as it is, but with a bunch of early patches that don't include the DLC patches, it makes it near impossible).

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I actually do not think that is the case, i think they did have a final patch for MK9 but the funds weren't there for it cuz they used up the funds on all the other patches and had to work on injustice afterwards. No one knows whether or not they had one more patch left for mk9, so i guess we will have to leave it at that.
I think people don't understand that a patch isn't like a guy sitting in his office deciding to patch the game. Once you have an AAA game that's out (and on multiple systems to boot) it takes a whole team to complete, test it on all the main systems and certify/deploy a patch. Once they've moved on, it's super unlikely that WB is going to green-light moving a whole team back to work on what's been written off as a finished game.

It's not about having money, it's about what the time and resources are dedicated to at the current time.

I think people don't understand that a patch isn't like a guy sitting in his office deciding to patch the game. Once you have an AAA game that's out (and on multiple systems to boot) it takes a whole team to complete, test it on all the main systems and certify/deploy a patch. Once they've moved on, it's super unlikely that WB is going to green-light moving a whole team back to work on what's been written off as a finished game.

It's not about having money, it's about what the time and resources are dedicated to at the current time.
Check ur notifications.

I'll just copy and paste my post on the thread that got closed. This sums up my feelings on patches.

People tend to forget that it takes a patch to fix a patch. We can't wait 6 months for Superman to just dominate everyone. What magical knowledge are we going to get while he is destroying everyone? You first have to fix Superman so you can see what really needs fixing. You can't wait 6 months to just get a patch nerfing Superman and Black Adam and the rest of the patch is just guesses as to what the other characters need. Because we are going to need time with a patch, to see what the next patch should fix. It is a process. If you wait 6 months to figure out what is broken, basically 75% of the community will either be Superman or quit and then change to whatever is dominant after that 6 month patch.

Patch early, patch often. Adjust as players and grow. MKX won't be perfect, but I would make a bet that each patch that comes out improves the game.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat

That's a big thing I don't think a lot of people understand, as far as I know Neatherrealm doesn't make any money patching their released games. Once this game is out they're going to have to start working on a new game, assuming NRS's employees want to continue to put food on the table that is. Even if MKX turns out to be SF2 level broken, that doesn't guarantee that there will be a patch.

I'll just copy and paste my post on the thread that got closed. This sums up my feelings on patches.

People tend to forget that it takes a patch to fix a patch. We can't wait 6 months for Superman to just dominate everyone. What magical knowledge are we going to get while he is destroying everyone? You first have to fix Superman so you can see what really needs fixing. You can't wait 6 months to just get a patch nerfing Superman and Black Adam and the rest of the patch is just guesses as to what the other characters need. Because we are going to need time with a patch, to see what the next patch should fix. It is a process. If you wait 6 months to figure out what is broken, basically 75% of the community will either be Superman or quit and then change to whatever is dominant after that 6 month patch.

Patch early, patch often. Adjust as players and grow. MKX won't be perfect, but I would make a bet that each patch that comes out improves the game.
My question is why that people who say that patching the game early and often is good are some of the same people who will say around 2 years later "The game's balance was too much of an issue and etc.". So do the patches help the games more than hurt them? Absolutely, but it would be nice if people could just play the game even after it is done getting patched and a new game is coming out (I doubt this will happen anyways but I will keep playing MKX just like I still play MK9 no matter what new game is released from NRS (unless that new game is MK 11 or a new shaolin monks :p) )

but it would be nice if people could just play the game even after it is done getting patched and a new game is coming out (I doubt this will happen anyways but I will keep playing MKX just like I still play MK9 no matter what new game is released from NRS (unless that new game is MK 11 or a new shaolin monks :p) )
I'll be in there with you for about 3 years. I personally like the NRS business cycle. Maybe I am not a true fighting game fan if I get bored in 3 years. Yeah I'm actually fine with that. I don't think I am a true hardcore fighting game fan.

haketh

Noob
I'll be in there with you for about 3 years. I personally like the NRS business cycle. Maybe I am not a true fighting game fan if I get bored in 3 years. Yeah I'm actually fine with that. I don't think I am a true hardcore fighting game fan.
Eh you're still a hardcore FG fan, just different types. Like me I ride & die with games, I'll probably never stop playing a FG in some capacity, someone moving onto to something else after a few years doesn't make them any less of a hardcore fan.

yeah @haketh is right, u still a hardcore fighting game fan since u wiling to stay with it that long and you are really to play other games as well. I know GGA will always support MK so that is always good to know.

haketh

Noob
Psssts you want stuff patched early come to NWM where it'll be the first major & super visible, show us the broke stuff so we can figure this out ^_^

/End Shameless promotion

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well then just wait till the game comes out and see the avalanche of complaints about certain characters and how this game will be one of the greatest failures of NRS to date.
And your implication that not patching anything will fix that and avert this grim future?

Also, allow me to disagree with folks who try to justify lack of patching with references to possibly unjust nerfs to some characters in the past. Mistakes will always be made. But you can't fix your mistakes if you don't do said fixing. Unwarranted changes can be reverted or compensated, but only if you keep patching the damn game.

Then some people said how DOA and SG struggle to get numbers despite frequent patching. Well, duh. If devs weren't fixing every issue ASAP, those games would've been dead for years at this point. There are reasons they aren't popular and it has nothing to do with patching schedule or balance. I doesn't mean those factors weren't vital for their survival to these days.

In fact, only massive amount of workhours sunken into SG with sometimes weekly patches and massive testing of every feature by entire community (thousands of people, as opposed to like what, 5 testers?) is what allowed devs to make playable team-based FG that isn't Marvel level of bonkers. It also helps that crybabies don't survive in the game for more than a few weeks too though, allowing devs to get statistics and feedback that actually matters, but that's another question.

Bottom line, some people need to see things for what they are and admit that we won't be getting polished games if nobody polishes them. That is the only way to improvement known to mankind, for better or worse. And yes, there will always be need for one more patch, and it's fine. There's no limit to perfection. You won't be getting closer to it if you stand still though.

Alternatively, we can pretend that DS, Scorpion, Kano, Raiden etc. are only things patches brought to us, conveniently forgetting many more numerous accepted changes and the fact that half of both games' rosters still may as well don't exist and it has nothing to do with alleged "giving in to crybabies and nerfing everything".

People need to not forget that balance isn't everything. There are bad mechanics that can make a game more balanced. Just because everyone can do 80% combos (thus balanced) does not mean that it is a good game. That would make the game hella random, because it is basically about who gets the first hit. A good fighting game is fun and should protect the better player imo.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I think if there is a broken unintended mechanic then a patch should be released as soon as they can. Didn't Kung Lao and Smoke have crazy infinite combos or something in the beginning?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I think if there is a broken unintended mechanic then a patch should be released as soon as they can. Didn't Kung Lao and Smoke have crazy infinite combos or something in the beginning?
Half of the roster had either tham or ToD combos initially it seems.
I think everyone who posts in this thread already agreed that things like that are to be patched ASAP. It's the balance patches policy that actually sees an argument here.