What's new

MKX Comic Plot Discussion & Speculation Thread

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
While normally I would agree completely, at the same time, the revenue they are making won't be affected at all by what we post here. People who plan to support the comic suddenly aren't going to not support it because someone posted a video. People who are interested in what happened and don't want to buy the comic won't buy it regardless. You are making the case that giving this guy some views is cheating NRS or the comic guy out of some serious scratch, but at the end of the day, its a drop in the bucket for them, and the only people who care are people who weren't going to buy anyways, or will buy regardless.

Picking through breadcrumbs is anti-hype. Meanwhile, someone giving a brief summary and voice overs is hard work. They deserve those views as much as the other people deserve my 99c per issue. Its not my fault that there is a bigger demand for the alternative. I'm all for supporting NRS, but I'm also all for supporting content developers and understanding that not everyone wants to or can shell out 99c for each 12 page book slip of paper they are going to read once or twice and then never again. You might be able to, but not everyone is.

The video isn't for you, its not for people like you, its not for people with your mentality. Its for people like me, like the common person who just wants to be on the up-and-up but doesn't want to or can't drop a dollar. Not everyone is getting MKX off the shelf, some people are waiting to get it as a gift, or saving every penny, or won't get it until its on sale. For those people, I'm being kind enough to let them know the developments in a format that would be revealed if I were to discuss it. I'm just ensuring someone else benefits as well, since at the end of the day the information going out isn't any different.
If the videos are there on YouTube then people will be watching them instead of getting the money from people buying the comic themselves instead. Therefore they're not supporting them, they're not helping. If they weren't going to buy it then why would they go watch it on YouTube? That doesn't make sense.

Someone doing a brief summary and voiceovers is hard work? That's your reasoning for it being better to watch it on youtube instead of actually contributing something? It's really not "hard work", I make summaries for the OP every week while he just talks for a couple of minutes. The YouTubers aren't really developing content, they're just using other people's work. Which they put a lot more effort in to. People not wanting to shell out a spare dollar isn't that good of a reason, I don't really want to be spending however much money on the comics but I do because I want to help, I want to contribute to and support the people that create the comics.

I'm pretty sure you can drop a dollar, but for some reason you won't. Weren't you arguing with the people who weren't willing to put down a deposit on a preorder for MKX a while back? If people want MKX as a gift then they can ask for the print issues as gifts too, they're not dear. It's not about how the information gets out, it's about how it affects the people creating that information in the first place. Would you support people pirating MKX instead of buying it? Creating code generator software instead of paying for DLC? Stopping NRS from getting the money they deserve?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If the videos are there on YouTube then people will be watching them instead of getting the money from people buying the comic themselves instead. Therefore they're not supporting them, they're not helping. If they weren't going to buy it then why would they go watch it on YouTube? That doesn't make sense.

Someone doing a brief summary and voiceovers is hard work? That's your reasoning for it being better to watch it on youtube instead of actually contributing something? It's really not "hard work", I make summaries for the OP every week while he just talks for a couple of minutes. The YouTubers aren't really developing content, they're just using other people's work. Which they put a lot more effort in to. People not wanting to shell out a spare dollar isn't that good of a reason, I don't really want to be spending however much money on the comics but I do because I want to help, I want to contribute to and support the people that create the comics.

I'm pretty sure you can drop a dollar, but for some reason you won't. Weren't you arguing with the people who weren't willing to put down a deposit on a preorder for MKX a while back? If people want MKX as a gift then they can ask for the print issues as gifts too, they're not dear. It's not about how the information gets out, it's about how it affects the people creating that information in the first place. Would you support people pirating MKX instead of buying it? Creating code generator software instead of paying for DLC? Stopping NRS from getting the money they deserve?
If I don't want to buy something, but its available for free, then I would go watch it for free. Often the reason why I wouldn't buy something is because I have to buy it, plain and simple. It costs something, and for some people, thats quite a bit. It makes perfect sense that if something is available to me at no cost aside from my time, then I would find that worth watching moreso than paying for it. Its opportunity cost.

Its harder work than comicvine pasting it up with a pricetag. Also yes, as I said, its not meant for you or people like you. Often you guys will buy the comic, read it, and then come in to explain things. Meanwhile, people like me come in to pick up the scraps and try to make some sense of it. I personally have no problem dropping a spare dollar, but not everyone is like me and you. For those people, these things I posted exist. Its for their convenience. If they want to support the comic, they still will. They likely won't even see my video. The ones who watched are the ones who can't or won't support it regardless. I won't question their motives, but at the end of the day, they aren't buying the comic. Might as well give them something.

I was, but at the same time, I was arguing about a character and a community being manhandled over something like that. Not people not wanting to pay for an internet comic. Why would someone ask for print issues of a comic as a gift? Everything you are listing is an extreme strawman. Would I support piracy? No, but then again, this isn't people pirating anything. Pirating DLC? Same thing. Stopping NRS from getting deserved cash? Its money they aren't getting regardless.

Lemme put it simple: If I read this comic and didn't post a video, I would go into so much detail that people would know exactly what happened, exactly what was said, and there would be no reason for them to buy the comic other than to look at some pretty pictures which I would probably link to regardless. Unlike you guys, I don't enjoy yanking people along because me spending 99c somehow makes me better or more entitled than them. I put a video, for people to watch at their own discretion, and if that video was enough to turn them off to the idea of paying for a comic then they weren't that dedicated to supporting them anyways. Most people aren't such martyrs with their spare change, usually they just care about whats going on. Sad truth, but it is a truth you have to face.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
To be fair. WB owns NRS and DC comics. WB funds NRS so not buying a few 99 cent comics isn't hurting NRS or WB (Mulit-Billion $ company) at all. In fact by it being on youtube I think it will give MKX even more recognition for people that might not have even been interested in it at first.. In a way it kinda is support

Last edited:

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I didn't want to buy it, not interested enough. I can get it for free so I benefit ~~ Same for movies I'm not interested to. Don't know if they need to be richer than this, we know some fanboys will always give them money they could give to a tramp to do their game (or buy a car for their children) so no worry. ;)

And it's not 1$, it's 1$ each (20$ for all of them). And then we will buy DLC and stuffs. :D I'm ok to be a sheep, but there are limits.

Last edited:

Hehateme

Noob
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe print issue # 3 comes put this Wednesday. Which means we don't have to wait til next Sunday to know what happens in chapter 9.

GGA Max

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe print issue # 3 comes put this Wednesday. Which means we don't have to wait til next Sunday to know what happens in chapter 9.
I think that's what happened with the first print, but I don't think they did it that way for the 2nd.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Yeah yeah, but not everyone can bump up 99 cents.

Its not only supporting NRS, its also supporting and rewarding the artists and comic writers who give us these great comics.
Also more buys means it runs even longer. Just look at the Injustice comic.
You know exactly 99.9% can easily pay 99 cents. Just eat only 4 instead 5 burgers next time at McDonalds son.

Last edited:

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
LOL at the dude that still think costumes mean something XD
Anyway Rain got shitted on and hopefully we get to see more of Erron black since he was the last one with C & J .. Shit is getting real!

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
Not confirmed out, stop making assumptions.

Which edition?

That has nothing to do with NRS, that's WB's fault if anything.
right... "assumptions"

Any edition. None available in my country has any pre-order bonus.
It is NRS fault. The game is theirs and they are the ones implementing shitty WBID stuff in the game.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm not wrong. Believe it or not, 99c an issue is a lot for something people can get for free.

Don't be a cheapskate
I'm funding the F/T Council by myself. I have enough finances to deal with.

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike Doombawkz even more.
Don't worry, you still have plenty of room to hate me. After all, how else are you supposed to stay relevant? Hating me is literally pretty much all you have going for you at the moment.

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
LOL at the dude that still think costumes mean something XD
Anyway Rain got shitted on and hopefully we get to see more of Erron black since he was the last one with C & J .. Shit is getting real!
right.

Rain- MK9 outfit. Got taken out. Apparently not dead. Still out.
Mavado- MKDA outfit.
Reiko- MKA outfit.
Hsu Hao- MKDA outfit. Got taken out.
Jarek. MKA outfit.

Goro- Immediatly shown in MKX outfit.
Sonya- Immediatly shown with a new outfit
Raiden- Immediatly shown with a new outfit
Scorpion- Immediatly shown with a new outfit
Sub-Zero- Immediatly shown with a new outfit
Reptile- Immediatly shown with a new outfit
Mileena- Immediatly shown with a new outfit

Strange. Can someone solve the mystery of why the characters confirmed in MKX or still to be announced but leaked, have a new outfit?

But wait!

Here's a transcript of an interview Kittelsen did:

Kamidogu: How closely and how often do you work with NetherRealm Studios?

Shawn: We had an MKX summit meeting to work through the outline, but NetherRealm is also busy making the game, so we try not to bother them too often. They’ve been a huge resource, supplying us with all the information and art reference that we need, and every issue goes to them for approval. I live in Los Angeles, so every now and then my editor and I will head to WB Games to just play the game and make sure we’re up to date. Those are my favourite days.

Kamidogu: Have there been any limitations imposed on your team, or did NetherRealm Studios and WB Games give you a fair amount of freedom?

Shawn: Beyond keeping things compatible with the in-game canon, we’ve had incredible freedom. As it happens, I think the end of Chapter 8 is going to show fans just how far we’re able to push things.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
If I don't want to buy something, but its available for free, then I would go watch it for free. Often the reason why I wouldn't buy something is because I have to buy it, plain and simple. It costs something, and for some people, thats quite a bit. It makes perfect sense that if something is available to me at no cost aside from my time, then I would find that worth watching moreso than paying for it. Its opportunity cost.

Its harder work than comicvine pasting it up with a pricetag. Also yes, as I said, its not meant for you or people like you. Often you guys will buy the comic, read it, and then come in to explain things. Meanwhile, people like me come in to pick up the scraps and try to make some sense of it. I personally have no problem dropping a spare dollar, but not everyone is like me and you. For those people, these things I posted exist. Its for their convenience. If they want to support the comic, they still will. They likely won't even see my video. The ones who watched are the ones who can't or won't support it regardless. I won't question their motives, but at the end of the day, they aren't buying the comic. Might as well give them something.

I was, but at the same time, I was arguing about a character and a community being manhandled over something like that. Not people not wanting to pay for an internet comic. Why would someone ask for print issues of a comic as a gift? Everything you are listing is an extreme strawman. Would I support piracy? No, but then again, this isn't people pirating anything. Pirating DLC? Same thing. Stopping NRS from getting deserved cash? Its money they aren't getting regardless.

Lemme put it simple: If I read this comic and didn't post a video, I would go into so much detail that people would know exactly what happened, exactly what was said, and there would be no reason for them to buy the comic other than to look at some pretty pictures which I would probably link to regardless. Unlike you guys, I don't enjoy yanking people along because me spending 99c somehow makes me better or more entitled than them. I put a video, for people to watch at their own discretion, and if that video was enough to turn them off to the idea of paying for a comic then they weren't that dedicated to supporting them anyways. Most people aren't such martyrs with their spare change, usually they just care about whats going on. Sad truth, but it is a truth you have to face.
We'll agree to disagree then, let's get back to the important stuff like the characters and the plot and the speculation. But for the record:
Unlike you guys, I don't enjoy yanking people along because me spending 99c somehow makes me better or more entitled than them.
Oh so wrong. We are not "yanking" anyone along, we're asking them to help support people and their craft by paying a dollar. A DOLLAR. That is not a lot of money. I've never even mentioned anything about being better or more entitled so quit making stuff up.
right... "assumptions"

Any edition. None available in my country has any pre-order bonus.
It is NRS fault. The game is theirs and they are the ones implementing shitty WBID stuff in the game.
Oh you want to link me to that Rain deconfirmation then? Please, go ahead. Show me where NRS have stated than Rain isn't in MKX. Oh wait.
You live in Portugal right? I'm pretty sure every preorder on PSN, regardless of country, gets Goro.
Technically the game is WB's, since NRS is a subsidiary of WB Games, which is why the WBID system is there in the first place.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
It's 99c times the number of comics guys. You won't buy only 1 with only 3 pages lol, so at the end of the day you will spend around 20$ and it's a lot of burgers !

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
This is the mindset of a pirate. I bet if you could pirate MKX you would do it because why not its free.
Except it isn't. Its the mindset of someone who knows what youtube is, and can google the words "MKX comic reading video" or "MKX comic impression video" since both of those usually show what goes on in the comic. I'm not a fan of piracy, but again, this is a different issue.

Me watching a video of someone reading an issue of the comic and giving me an impression is not illegal. It doesn't stop me from buying the comic if I want to support whatever site I choose to throw my dollar at. There is no illegality, namely because the comic (after release) is more or less turned into a public good. Anyone can consume it, and no one is excluded. Unless NRS starts flagging all of the videos, I will assume that they care about as much as I do.

MKX being pirated is a different story. For one, you can only obtain it through illegitimate means. Second, its functionality will be changed because it is obtained through said illegitimate mean. Third, NRS is likely to act on it if piracy becomes a major issue. As you will see, all 3 of these things make it a pirated good. As you may also notice, none of those three (obtaining the good, use of the good, or reaction of creator) actually apply to watching said youtube video. Sorry but you'll have to find a better comparison to paint me as the villain this time around.

Oh so wrong. We are not "yanking" anyone along, we're asking them to help support people and their craft by paying a dollar. A DOLLAR. That is not a lot of money. I've never even mentioned anything about being better or more entitled so quit making stuff up.
You have an air of entitlement, talking down on me for posting a video because "YOU JUST COST (insert site name here) A DOLLAR (which is unconfirmed if all of that dollar, or what percentage, goes to the publisher)". Mind you, thats a dollar per issue, so its more like $20. I understand your stance, but its nonsensical to outright exclude some people from being able to read the same comic as everyone else (which they can because obviously these videos exist and google is a thing) or to criticize people who post such content just because they didn't pay the same dollar you did.

Do you know what people who plan to support the comics, WB, or them do? They go and support them.

Do you know what people who don't go about doing? Not supporting them.

So for that second group, one of two things happens: Either they don't support and lose attachment because they'll be arsed to read through 5 pages of speculation to find out what actually happened, making them less likely to support in the future, OR they see a video (which supports that content creator), are up to date, and continue to take part in the speculation. This makes it so everyone can discuss equally, regardless of their choice or ability to shell out a dollar per issue. Some people can't, I can understand that much.

haketh

Noob
This part removed as the post it was pertaining to was deleted by a mod-shaowebb

Interested in Rain's chances seeing how Kittleson made it pretty clear on twitter the Prince aint gone yet. Wouldn't be surprised if he just shows up in the comic again to screw over Kotal then gets killed off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Except it isn't. Its the mindset of someone who knows what youtube is, and can google the words "MKX comic reading video" or "MKX comic impression video" since both of those usually show what goes on in the comic. I'm not a fan of piracy, but again, this is a different issue.

Me watching a video of someone reading an issue of the comic and giving me an impression is not illegal. It doesn't stop me from buying the comic if I want to support whatever site I choose to throw my dollar at. There is no illegality, namely because the comic (after release) is more or less turned into a public good. Anyone can consume it, and no one is excluded. Unless NRS starts flagging all of the videos, I will assume that they care about as much as I do.

MKX being pirated is a different story. For one, you can only obtain it through illegitimate means. Second, its functionality will be changed because it is obtained through said illegitimate mean. Third, NRS is likely to act on it if piracy becomes a major issue. As you will see, all 3 of these things make it a pirated good. As you may also notice, none of those three (obtaining the good, use of the good, or reaction of creator) actually apply to watching said youtube video. Sorry but you'll have to find a better comparison to paint me as the villain this time around.

You have an air of entitlement, talking down on me for posting a video because "YOU JUST COST (insert site name here) A DOLLAR (which is unconfirmed if all of that dollar, or what percentage, goes to the publisher)". Mind you, thats a dollar per issue, so its more like $20. I understand your stance, but its nonsensical to outright exclude some people from being able to read the same comic as everyone else (which they can because obviously these videos exist and google is a thing) or to criticize people who post such content just because they didn't pay the same dollar you did.

Do you know what people who plan to support the comics, WB, or them do? They go and support them.

Do you know what people who don't go about doing? Not supporting them.

So for that second group, one of two things happens: Either they don't support and lose attachment because they'll be arsed to read through 5 pages of speculation to find out what actually happened, making them less likely to support in the future, OR they see a video (which supports that content creator), are up to date, and continue to take part in the speculation. This makes it so everyone can discuss equally, regardless of their choice or ability to shell out a dollar per issue. Some people can't, I can understand that much.

Yes its not illegal to watch a youtube video but its about your mindset of why pay if you can get it for free even tho its not really free.
Also this isnt a "impression video" alone. Its shows and reads the entire comic. A comic impression is like a synopsis. It shouldnt show and tell you everything.
Go feed the poor Robin Hood.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
If you want to pirate, and/or take advantage of things without supporting the creators at least don't try to bullshit up a reason to make yourself feel justified.

LinKueiLegend

The true Grandmaster
Guys can we actually talk about things that matter? What's the point over arguing over this nonsense? I mean let's say someone who has an old costume makes it into the game. What will that do? Give you bragging rights? "Oh told you Rain is in the game. Suck it." Or "Told you he wasn't gonna be in cause he had on the costume from MKA. Suck a fat one." Well let me tell you. No one cares for your pointless arguments. Just shut up read the comics when they come out and just have fun.