What's new

MKX Comic Plot Discussion & Speculation Thread

haketh

Noob
Yeah their hasn't been any suspense in the series at all when it comes to deaths because we pretty much know who's all safe. Plus the character deaths are usually so quic & nonsesnical it makes no sense.

Kintaro and Cyrax especially

mattteo

Noob
Did they say they weren't releasing any new comics for a while?
Season 1 of the comics is over. We are still not sure about Season 2. Kittelsen hopes so and he invited everyone who wants another season to tweet @ChrisAtzis and @DCComics and let them know.

But, in the end, despite the comic being the best thing in Mortal Kombat since the Conquest series, it's the sales that are going to decide if we get season 2.

Season 1 of the comics is over. We are still not sure about Season 2. Kittelsen hopes so and he invited everyone who wants another season to tweet @ChrisAtzis and @DCComics and let them know.

But, in the end, despite the comic being the best thing in Mortal Kombat since the Conquest series, it's the sales that are going to decide if we get season 2.
I really, really disagree with that, the comic was honestly very mediocre. It started out strong, but went completely downhill from there. It was definitely nice to see some familiar faces that should have actually been in the game, but that doesn't mean that the story didn't suck. The puns, the inconsistencies, and the character deaths just really ruin the comic for me. Seems to me like it was a way to kill off the "shitty" 3D characters that they don't want to bother with in the future. It sucks because I honestly thought Havik or Reiko were salvageable characters yet they were both killed off in the comic. Now I know "Nobody dies in MK" but that still doesn't change the fact that if they do consider this comic canon, they'll have to put time and resources into making a bullshit reason for them being back which I doubt they'll even put the effort into doing, which makes the characters way less likely to show up. I doubt they'll even reference anything in regard to the comic in future games, and I could be wrong about this but I just don't think NRS gives a shit about the story anymore. The comic is good for what it is, but I expected better and was disappointed.

mattteo

Noob
I really, really disagree with that, the comic was honestly very mediocre. It started out strong, but went completely downhill from there. It was definitely nice to see some familiar faces that should have actually been in the game, but that doesn't mean that the story didn't suck. The puns, the inconsistencies, and the character deaths just really ruin the comic for me. Seems to me like it was a way to kill off the "shitty" 3D characters that they don't want to bother with in the future. It sucks because I honestly thought Havik or Reiko were salvageable characters yet they were both killed off in the comic. Now I know "Nobody dies in MK" but that still doesn't change the fact that if they do consider this comic canon, they'll have to put time and resources into making a bullshit reason for them being back which I doubt they'll even put the effort into doing, which makes the characters way less likely to show up. I doubt they'll even reference anything in regard to the comic in future games, and I could be wrong about this but I just don't think NRS gives a shit about the story anymore. The comic is good for what it is, but I expected better and was disappointed.

It's way more likely for Reiko,Havik or Daegon to appear in a future game now than it was before the comic. The comic did many 3D characters a favour and it's mostly fan consensus that Kittelsen has shown their stories to be far more interesting and to have far more potential than the ones of the original characters.
I mean, what can Jax be/do in a comic? Lumberjack. Ok... lame
Now Reiko has been around thousands of years, gaining a position of power at Shao Kahn's court, having an animosity with Quan Chi and winning the blitzkrieg kreeyan war. There are a gazillion things that can be shown in Reiko flashnbacks. His friendship with Kotal Kahn, his relation with all the other cunning members of the Court of Kahn: Kitana, Jade, Shang Tsung, Rain, Ermac, Skarlet, Reptile.... For thousands of years they have all been Generals, ruling over vast areas of the Empire in the name of Kahn (parts of Outworld, Edenia, Zaterra, Vaeternus etc). Imagine them on Earthrealm- they'd be like rulers over ancient cities and medieval countries, with subjects bowing to them as to a pantheon of Gods which may have inspired mythologies. Now that would make for a great comic series!

But still, Kittelsen did a good job. We had to have the boring Blady bunch there too cause they're the "heroes" of the story even if nothing they can possibly do is exciting. Except Drahmin and Moloch, the 3D characters were treated fairly. It's better for them to have a story even if they die than to not have a story at all. Some characters that are in the game don't have a story at all: Erron Black, Ferra/Torr, Kung Lao... I feel that Mavado has done more in the comics than Kung Lao has done in the game.