What's new

MK9: Unofficial Tier List Speculation, and/or Character Shenanigans Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the impression that this is for fun, and character discussion and so far published... But I want to know Ermac would like Juggernaut said that with the combination of engine and 2D again and laugh to imagine the potential Ermac was bad!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I agree, sadly Jade isn't that great...she seems tough to use IMO Kitana and Mileena are better. And Smoke is definitely top 5....imo

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
If you know how to beat Smoke, he's not top 5.

IMO from what I've seen and played:

1. Sub
2. Raiden (maybe raiden is #1 with ease of use compared to sub?)
3. Cage
4. Lao
<< INSERT NIGHTWOLF HERE >> lol I forgot about him!
5. Reptile
6. Cyrax
7. Kitana
8. Smoke
<< INSERT KABAL HERE >> lol I forgot about him!

Last = Baraka lol

I'm up in the air about Quan... he's got some good shit. Haven't played in depth with most of the cast though like Sheeva/Shang/Sektor/etc

McNasty

Moist.
If you know how to beat Smoke, he's not top 5.

IMO from what I've seen and played:

1. Sub
2. Raiden (maybe raiden is #1 with ease of use compared to sub?)
3. Cage
4. Lao
5. Reptile
6. Cyrax
7. Kitana
8. Smoke

Last = Baraka lol

I'm up in the air about Quan... he's got some good shit. Haven't played in depth with most of the cast though like Sheeva/Shang/Sektor/etc
Wow this is good id put ermac at a tie with smoke they are pretty similar and the tele slam can be a nuisance.

Quans mixup and mindcontrol are great he is definitly a force to be recond with. A guy in my casuals group is maining him and with the ex ruin trap i get cheesed out of the 3rd round every time lol.

shang may be just outside of smoke and ermac for the 9th spot and the middle tier is enormous with pretty much the rest of the cast except baraka. I still tend to think the game will be extremely matchup based though so characters outside of this scope like sindel will still be very worthy adversaries.

edit: Oh only thing you dont have in your top 8 is nightwolf hes up there as well probably tied with reptile.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
From my experience the top 10:

1. Sub-Zero
2. Raiden
3. Kung Lao
4. Liu Kang
5. Johnny Cage (Haven't played a good Cage yet)
6. Cyrax
7. Kitana
8. Reptile
9. Ermac
10. Smoke

- I agree with Konqrr that Smoke ins't too good if you know how to beat him. He has to work pretty hard to get a hit, and by the time he does you can just breaker the combo.

- Cyrax's Bomb Traps and 50%+ combos with no or 1 meter is too good. If Cyrax gets in it's over.

- Liu Kang's rushdown is GodLike! His :r+:fp:bp is like a UMK3 run jab. Ridiculous pressure, builds meter on block, safe, and you can do some 50/50 mix-ups after it.

- Kitana is really annoying. She can zone very well, and her pressure game is nice too. She also has some sick combos, especially in the corner.

- Ermac can Zone pretty well and has easy high damaging combos.

SZSR

Noob
Here's my tier list in no particular order since I haven't seen any of these guys played against each other but rather off of their moves and properties and how easy they were in arcade mode (sans Shang Tsung, because I haven't seen anyone play effectively as him in videos nor had seen one online prior to PSN going down)

Kung Lao
Sub-Zero
Raiden
Cage
Smoke
Kabal
Ermac
Reptile

Mid tier
Everyone else

Bottom
Quan Chi
Baraka
Sheeva

??? Tier-Shang Tsung

oZii

Noob
No scorpion love in any of these lists? He has the tools to deal with everyone in the cast. Has excellent mix up potential and you can't turtle him. Has good damaging combos 39% is easy just off spear. 50% with X-ray. As long as you aren't spamming spears like a noob and play a more defensive style until u get inside which is pretty easy with scorp u can bring the pain.

It's ok sleep on scorpion :)

I agree smoke is pretty easy to read. Ermac's lack of mixups I don't put him to high. He just has good damage.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
- Kitana is really annoying. She can zone very well, and her pressure game is nice too. She also has some sick combos, especially in the corner.
Kitana doesn't need the corner to get her damage... she gets MORE in open space lol

I totally forgot about Kabal and Nightwolf so I edited my post.

Ermac is SO hard to get in on... bf1 from outside sweep and as anti air is too good.

R.E.L.

Noob
How is Sub #1? This isn't the demo guys.

Sub has several bad matchups, one especially being Raiden. Sub has really slow specials (excluding slide) and his combos don't even deal that much damage.

Until I see videos of high level gameplay with Sub against equal level matchups and consistently winning, there's no way he's #1. Top 10? Sure.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
How is Sub #1? This isn't the demo guys.

Sub has several bad matchups, one especially being Raiden. Sub has really slow specials (excluding slide) and his combos don't even deal that much damage.

Until I see videos of high level gameplay with Sub against equal level matchups and consistently winning, there's no way he's #1. Top 10? Sure.
Make sure you watch Tom Brady on the PowerUp stream then. ;)

Sequel

Boob Titbot
No one has played Sub-Zero properly. If you're hiding behind his Ice Clone you're doing it wrong.

No one has played Sub-Zero properly. If you're hiding behind his Ice Clone you're doing it wrong.

SO TRUE MY FRIEND!!!!!

Sub-Zero can literally control the whole screen when used correctly

Oh and no one said anything about [BUBBLE]Cyrax[/BUBBLE]?
Damaging Combos+Guaranteed BombTraps+Zoning+He can Freaking Steal your super meter so you cant(EX Net)BREAKER WTF
and DAMAGE SCALING RESETS!!!!!
I Just crapped my pants
http://youtu.be/-dBc4m3vyNE

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well I guess I'm gonna have to, since no one else here can give me an answer =p
Tom will be able to answer better than anyone in the world right now. And he will answer by showing you. He might even get on mic and explain some stuff.

R.E.L.

Noob
Tom will be able to answer better than anyone in the world right now. And he will answer by showing you. He might even get on mic and explain some stuff.
I'm looking forward to it, and I'm looking forward to meeting him/playing MK with him at PDP (on the side, since he's not competing)

Sequel

Boob Titbot
I'm looking forward to it, and I'm looking forward to meeting him/playing MK with him at PDP (on the side, since he's not competing)
You should get his autograph too, I hear he's a famous Football player or something.

R.E.L.

Noob
You should get his autograph too, I hear he's a famous Football player or something.
1. I'm a dolphins fan, being born and from South Florida and living 15 mins from the stadium. The N.E. Patriots can suck it.

2. I'd rather have Cage's baby autograph ;)

oZii

Noob
Just going off of the Power Up from yesterday Smoke looks really well Human. I mean its like everyones practice partners are smokes and they know how to deal with him or something. Right Now and I stress RIGHT NOW. Smoke is looking really High Mid to me. Im definitely going to put Sub-Zero at number one just based off of Toms play I was sitting there like how would I deal with that with scorpion. I could def punish close clones though. Those reptiles really opened my eyes.

Right now Im going with.

1. Subzero
2. Nightwolf
3. Raiden
4. Kung Lao
5. Reptile
6. Scorpion(cause people stay away from him cause he has a Ryu stigma or something lol. He has all the tools to deal with People I put above him)
7. Mileena
8. Kabal
9. Cyrax
10. Smoke/Ermac Tied
11. Liu Kang
12. Everyone Else

Error Macro

It April yet?
Just going off of the Power Up from yesterday Smoke looks really well Human. I mean its like everyones practice partners are smokes and they know how to deal with him or something. Right Now and I stress RIGHT NOW. Smoke is looking really High Mid to me. Im definitely going to put Sub-Zero at number one just based off of Toms play I was sitting there like how would I deal with that with scorpion. I could def punish close clones though. Those reptiles really opened my eyes.

Right now Im going with.

1. Subzero
2. Nightwolf
3. Raiden
4. Kung Lao
5. Reptile
6. Scorpion(cause people stay away from him cause he has a Ryu stigma or something lol. He has all the tools to deal with People I put above him)
7. Reptile.
8. Mileena
9. Kabal
10. Cyrax
11. Smoke/Ermac Tied
12. Liu Kang
13. Everyone Else
Damn Reptile is so good he gets two spots :p

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My estimation of the current tier list:

S
Sub-Zero, Kung Lao, Raiden

A+
Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Cyrax, Kitana, Reptile, Ermac, Smoke, Kabal, Noob Saibot

A
Scorpion, Nightwolf, Sektor, Jade, Kano, Shang Tsung, Sindel, Cyber Sub-Zero, Sonya, Mileena

B
Jax, Sheeva, Stryker, Quan Chi

C
Baraka

----------

I don't see Nightwolf as high as some you are placing him. The only good thing he has going for him is his Shoulder Charge and Lightning Bolt. His Shoulder Charge is punishable, by everyone. He has no low starting combos, and his damage output is below average. His sweep is really bad, and his projectile is slow.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
He has no low starting combos, and his damage output is below average.
:r+:fk isn't low? It looks really low, are you sure?

His damage isn't below average though, I'd say it's average.

By the way why is everyone ranking Smoke so low? He has by far the most tools and the highest damage output in the game. What am I missing?

Also I think Sheeva is a bit underrated. She isn't good by any means but at least she can stop zoners with well timed full screen leaps (or whatever their actual name is.) and her high/low mixup leads to some serious damage while staying pretty ambiguous. She has some nasty range on normals too. Her strong ass (13% I think?) projectile doesn't hurt at all either.

Again, not saying she's good, just underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.