What's new

MK9: Unofficial Tier List Speculation, and/or Character Shenanigans Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
The reason I said unofficial is because there is no real way to get a real idea of a characters tier position, unless we actually get our hands on it. However, we can definitely talk about what we have seen so far, what looks good, and why we place the current characters above or below each other.

I wont write a tier list yet, but I will write about the one character that stands out the most to me, and thats Cyrax.

Cyrax -

He has this move where he crouches down and hits either close opponents, or jumping opponents. This move can go straight into an X-Ray, and is looking very good in the AA department.

His net hits both ground and AA, and I don't really have to get into any more details over why its ownage.

Cartwheel has insane recovery. It reminds me of catwomans, so I really want to get my hands on it and test it already.

Teleport is god-like! On MK:Armageddon it was ass, but I think they made up for it this time.

Grab! He has his original UMK3 grab move back, but from what im seeing, it seems to almost work like blankas jump over move. I think this is a possible (High-Level-Play Shenanigan!); knock an opponent down > Jump over > Net/grab/jab+X-Ray, or Knock an opponent down > Releace a bomb > Jump over > Net/PopUp-Bomb+X-Ray!

Shenanigans I tell ya! CYRAX HAS THEM!

If you want to talk about a character in detail, or even create a tier-list speculation for yourself, go right ahead. I would love to hear what you guys think of each character so far. :top:

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i see scorpion as being one of the top guys in MK9.

the spear will be used as a AA again.
Teleport doesn't leave scorpion open to retaliation it seems (again i may have missed him being open like in past mk's) and gives him some decent 33/33/33/ mix ups with the Hell fire, Takedown and if they try to jump away the Spear.

the teleport also will be good at punishing people that use their fireballs. now im unsure if the teleport can be used as a combo starter. i know in some videos scorpions foe was able to block after the teleport However, it could of just been because of scrubs playing and they didnt combo fast enough.. we'll see

the takedown and hell fire i see s being super useful at mind games.

1 ~ if they try to jump, scorpion has his spear and his air throw as a AA.
2 ~ if they just wait and block you can quickly pull out the take down, i also think tis can be used as a decent AA as well.
3 ~ they try and block low to avoid dealing with the Take down... --> Hellfire their asses.

all these things force scorpions foe to be on their toes constantly and think/guess fast.

Ill be using scorpion to kick your Cyrax's asses.

ill share my thoughts on Kitana some other time, i need sleep LOL

1) Kung Lao
2) Mileena
3) Cyrax
4) Nightwolf
5) Cage
6) Sub Zero
7) Scorpion
8) Reptile
9) Sektor
10) Kitana

cyrax will stay top if he keeps those awful robot hitboxes that he has right now. good lord, looks worse then females in mk vs dc. fix, midway fix.

dan - you make some valid points. in my opinion, it all comes down to how good his teleport is. and at the moment its looking good enough to put him at top. Just need to see for myself. i may move him up later.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Scorpion having an air throw again improves his air dominance by a ton. Teleport hasn't been shown to be possible in the air, but I'm very sure it is. EX teleport nets free hellfires, it seems...and hellfire is MKD/MKA style. His X-Ray is pretty much anti-projectile. Like Check said, it's probably gonna come down to how good teleport is, because all his other tools seem pretty good.

Nightwolf has a ranged launcher that builds meter, as well as a decently fast low that cancels to that very launcher. If he's gonna be top, I'd imagine it's just due to his dumb rushdown game.

Cyrax is nuts...nuff said, lol. The dude has everything to keep you out...nets, bombs, 3D MK saw...he also has great whiff punishers in his one saw blades move that moves him forward very far, as well as the spin kick (Which I've noticed, is likely barely safe, or not safe at all from fast jabs). On top of that, the dude can combo into his X-Ray, AND combo out of it, and it looks like a beautiful anti air. Cyrax will be top, no doubts about it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The reason I said unofficial is because there is no real way to get a real idea of a characters tier position, unless we actually get our hands on it. However, we can definitely talk about what we have seen so far, what looks good, and why we place the current characters above or below each other.

I wont write a tier list yet, but I will write about the one character that stands out the most to me, and thats Cyrax.

Cyrax -

He has this move where he crouches down and hits either close opponents, or jumping opponents. This move can go straight into an X-Ray, and is looking very good in the AA department.

His net hits both ground and AA, and I don't really have to get into any more details over why its ownage.

Cartwheel has insane recovery. It reminds me of catwomans, so I really want to get my hands on it and test it already.

Teleport is god-like! On MK:Armageddon it was ass, but I think they made up for it this time.

Grab! He has his original UMK3 grab move back, but from what im seeing, it seems to almost work like blankas jump over move. I think this is a possible (High-Level-Play Shenanigan!); knock an opponent down > Jump over > Net/grab/jab+X-Ray, or Knock an opponent down > Releace a bomb > Jump over > Net/PopUp-Bomb+X-Ray!

Shenanigans I tell ya! CYRAX HAS THEM!

If you want to talk about a character in detail, or even create a tier-list speculation for yourself, go right ahead. I would love to hear what you guys think of each character so far. :top:
Just want to let ya know dude, Cyrax's net also was AA in UMK3 if you time it right ;) but does seem to come out faster in this MK coming out.

His bombs sound awesome with that timed "high pitched noise then BOOM" lol like Batman or something, his teleport is super fast which is good, his saw blade is SUPER fast and looks pretty safe to me, his cartwheel kick looks fast and tough to counter as well. I think Cyrax will definitely be far better then he was in UMK3 but not too sure about top tier just yet. There's still a lot of characters we have to see lol and break down. I think he's definitely one of the faster characters in the game so far.

His Air-Throw-Seems Similar to his UMK3 but seems to lunge faster, I'm not so sure this move will be "all that great" as it really wasn't THAT great in UMK3 other then finishing off combos and of course used for his corner infinite(which nobody does anyway, much less online)

I like the fact that his X-ray can go into just the air or off an air juggles which can make for some devastating combo opportunies I think :)

I also like his pokes they come out fast.

His bombs come out pretty damn fast too, I'd say on par with UMK3 but DEFINITELY better then 3D cyrax which sucked...and he seems to have his far, close and a newer move that pushes you back with them. So he has options lol.

I like his throw also, takes out a bomb, hits you on the head a few times then hands it to you and BOOM. I'm assuming this is his normal throw.

What I like about Cyrax that's going to make him deadly on top of everything already said, is this time unlike UMK3 is you can net, THEN bomb into combos and since they have xrays he'll be doing some badass combos I reckon with that combination, now in UMK3 you could NOT do this...you had to throw a bomb, THEN net instead of the other way around so I'm assuming you'll be able to throw bombs then nets this time too so Cyrax has definitely overall improved vastly. I'll be using him regardless of his tier. One thing I will say that's NOT that impressive about Cyrax is his X-ray damage, it's only 32% but everything else about him is sweet! Only other thing I don't like about Cyrax is his X-ray although cool and can no doubt be done off air juggles can ONLY apparently be done in the air, which I'm kind of "ehh" about this means you really have to juggle your foe in order to get a high damaging combo done from the X-ray move in combination with an air combo/juggle otherwise Cyrax has to rely on his normal game which is by no means bad but in a way limits his X-ray opportunies compared to people who can perform their X-ray on the ground at any given time.

I'll write one myself on Sektor:

Sektor looks pretty damn good, I don't think he'll be low-low like he was in UMK3. He still has some nice juggle opportunies with his teleport, JK, into missle combos and his 3 hit does 40%+ damage, combined with a few JK, teleport punch and jab combos can probably get around 50% which is boss!

Special Moves:

Teleport Punch-Comes out fast much like UMK3 but recovers pretty well, definitely faster and better from his 3D version and more like UMK3 if anything. This time however you can do two Teleport punches in one combo I've noticed, this alone will make for some NICE combo opportunities, combined with the fact that you can do his x-ray move that's 40%+ with this, will make Sektor a force to be reckoned with......I'm telling you right now lol. As a huge UMK3 Sektor player, he will be good in the right hands(despite his tier lower or higher) Plus, he has the enhanced version with juggle punch which is good.

Flame Thrower move-This moves looks pretty good from arms length to mid screen as a "keep em on their toes" move, looks pretty safe also but definitely a move not to be spammed but at the same time good to mix up here and there, can also be used to finish off a combo I've noticed.

Straight Chest Missle-Looks a little, little bit slower then it was in UMK3 but still good regardless. Can use this move to finish off a nice juggle or keep opponents at bay should they rush you or not block while trying to do a move, definitely one of the faster projectiles in the game(maybe not the fastest but respectable speed for sure) Depending on juggle limits, it may have good potential for juggle in the air into teleport combos(I'm already thinking about crazy ideas with him lol)

Above/Shower Missle-This move looks pretty good, it seems to track you somewhat but can be avoided I've noticed. I think this move will be great at setting people up and baiting them to move away or towards you but also can combine for some nice combo chances as well as good for using into 50/50 mix up attacks while doing so. So far I haven't really seen this move in crazy juggle combos but more of a "bait or move to use with 50/50's" kind of move. I think you can definitely see this move used for mind games.

His Throw seems good as he picks you up and slams you on the ground to his opposite side, nothing fancy but gets the job done I suppose.

Fast chest pop move-Not sure if this is a special move or a regular punch move, it's a fast "breaker" like move but pushes you back but isn't a breaker...if it is a special move it's just a decent push back move(I've seen this in some Sektor videos but not all)

Enhanced Moves:

Punch juggle off Teleport Punch-Seems to be GREAT for extending combos for more damage and combined with missles I can see this as a great move to utilize carefully

Seeking missle-Formally a normal move from his 2D days of UMK3, it's been now implemented as JUST an entended move and thus can't be spammed anymore constantly. We learned at this PAX thanks to an interview that if two people pick Sektor and do the seeker at the same time, it'll cancel out...(this will be very rare anyway no doubt) but interesting to know, it seems useful but since it can't be spammed will mean less set up opportunities like he had in UMK3 but none the less will still create pressure on his foes and can still combo into it with some nice juggles into his teleport and straight missle chances.

Sweeps and Pokes-His sweep looks nice, not the fastest and you can kind of see it coming but it does have some nice range so it'll be an alright sweep I think. His regular pokes seem nice, pretty fast like most characters and has some pretty good leg pokes I think

Typical 2, 3 hit minor dial up moves-Everyone has these, it's like a X, X, B+Y move that you can set up into combos of your own making etc, Sektor has some fast jabs which are good, combined with his pokey moves can make for some nice mind 50/50 games, that aside he also has a two hit juggle kick move which can definitely lead into some nice combos no doubt. The fact that he can launch you on a regular few punchs, kicks is good for him considering his specials.

Sektor's X-Ray Move:

Sektor's X-ray move is three hits, Super Missle into Teleport Punch and the third hit finishes you off with a striving punch/push via his Palm that does 40%, This is definitely one of the best X-rays in the game from a damage perspective and safe perspective as well....meaning you can aford to miss if you're mid screen or far since it starts off via a missle, so unless you're close and miss I really don't see people punishing Sektor's X-ray attack via a miss or failed attempt most of the time, where as some other people need to be near or in the air to perform their X-rays

Tier wise analysis-Tier wise I think he's in the middle some where honestly(not the highest tier but definitely not the lowest either) not the fastest character in the game but definitely has the tools more then capable of competiting. Has moves that can't be punished THAT easily outside of his teleport punch and missle should you be predictable with him and just be a missle spammer(but no good Sektor player will do that I bet) his X-ray is one of the best in the game so far IMO for a few reasons but mainly due to damage, 3 hits 40%? Yeah....just think of the possibilies with him increasing that...

MKF30

lol I'm still waiting for Kabal, if he's anything like he is in UMK3+ this engine=Kabal will be top tier again...

Riu

Noob
sup everybody this is the kind of talk about mk9 that i want to have.

as of today i think that scorpion is top tier if you want to know why just go back up and read dan's post is like he took it right out of my mind.

kung loa and mileena looks strong as well

sub zero is looking like a low tier character compered to the other characters

DanCock

Cock Master!!
sup everybody this is the kind of talk about mk9 that i want to have.

as of today i think that scorpion is top tier if you want to know why just go back up and read dan's post is like he took it right out of my mind.

kung loa and mileena looks strong as well

sub zero is looking like a low tier character compered to the other characters
yea i agree Kung looks very strong as well and that subby looks to be weak LOL

now im not 100% sold on Mileena yet.

FYI ~ im glad to see you here :)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Right now, Sub is shit. Ice moves are slower than hell. At least his slide hits low and can be 2-in-1'd from a normal move right? It might come down to how good his EX moves are.

Scorpion is looking top tier due to keep away and easy huge damage from jk to airthrow. I saw that he can combo off of a teleport punch, but that could have been blockable. Remember in UMK3 how if you hit someone with a TP while they are on the ground and hit them again (catch them not blocking) while they flail backwards, it counts as a combo in that game. We'll have to wait and see, like you guys are saying, how good the TP really is. X-Ray is a supercharged TP? God-tier status.

Cyrax is so fast and has so many options, he is looking good. With his overhead, people will be getting hit with low attack 2-in-1 into bomb shenanigans all day! I'm excited to play him...I just hope they don't pull an UMK3 on him like they did from MK3.

Cage looks decent, but really unsafe. Shadow kick can be used as aa now? wtf lol But you can still duck that shit easy and punish. He finally has a straight projectile now with the EX version, he needs that in MKII so bad.

Nightwolf looks really good seeing as you can start a combo from a low kick! If he has an overhead, it'll be mixup city right here.

Kitana has really low damage again, but we expect that from the zone queen of MK. I'm sure we will find a way to make her solid, we always do.

Sektor looks like the new Robot Smoke. Free big damage from a random TP...including a FREE X-ray missile. EX heat seekers that you probably can't avoid like you can in UMK3 will allow him to close the distance. He looks good.

Kung Lao has got that rushdown status again. Spin is really fast and combos pretty easily.

Haven't really seen anything from Mileena or Reptile.

So from what I've seen:

1. Scorpion
2. Cyrax
3. Sektor
4. Nightwolf
5. Kung Lao
6. Cage
7. Sub-Zero

Haven't seen enough of Kitana, Mileena, or Reptile to list them.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Right now, Sub is shit. Ice moves are slower than hell. At least his slide hits low and can be 2-in-1'd from a normal move right? It might come down to how good his EX moves are.

Scorpion is looking top tier due to keep away and easy huge damage from jk to airthrow. I saw that he can combo off of a teleport punch, but that could have been blockable. Remember in UMK3 how if you hit someone with a TP while they are on the ground and hit them again (catch them not blocking) while they flail backwards, it counts as a combo in that game. We'll have to wait and see, like you guys are saying, how good the TP really is. X-Ray is a supercharged TP? God-tier status.

Cyrax is so fast and has so many options, he is looking good. With his overhead, people will be getting hit with low attack 2-in-1 into bomb shenanigans all day! I'm excited to play him...I just hope they don't pull an UMK3 on him like they did from MK3.

Cage looks decent, but really unsafe. Shadow kick can be used as aa now? wtf lol But you can still duck that shit easy and punish. He finally has a straight projectile now with the EX version, he needs that in MKII so bad.

Nightwolf looks really good seeing as you can start a combo from a low kick! If he has an overhead, it'll be mixup city right here.

Kitana has really low damage again, but we expect that from the zone queen of MK. I'm sure we will find a way to make her solid, we always do.

Sektor looks like the new Robot Smoke. Free big damage from a random TP...including a FREE X-ray missile. EX heat seekers that you probably can't avoid like you can in UMK3 will allow him to close the distance. He looks good.

Kung Lao has got that rushdown status again. Spin is really fast and combos pretty easily.

Haven't really seen anything from Mileena or Reptile.

So from what I've seen:

1. Scorpion
2. Cyrax
3. Sektor
4. Nightwolf
5. Kung Lao
6. Cage
7. Sub-Zero

nicely said, i totally agree/ except id swap Kung and sektor.

so (copy and paste i love u) :p
1. Scorpion
2. Cyrax
3. Kung Lao
4. Nightwolf
5. Sektor
6. Cage
7. Sub-Zero

MKF30

Speaking of which here's my view on the tier list, similar to Konqrr's but a little different.

1. Scorpion
2. Kung Lao
3. Cyrax
4. Nightwolf
5. Sektor
6. Mileena
7. Reptile
8. Cage
9. Kitana
10. Sub-Zero

That's my tier list based off everything I've seen so far.

BTW, one good thing about Sub I have to admit is his X-ray seems to be unblockable apparently, not sure yet if it can be dodged via jumping and does good damage.

I'm betting U.Sub aka the younger Sub-Zero with the scar will be better.

i dont think you will see any god tier characterds in this mk because they said they have the ability to tweak characters so if one is over powered they will tone it done

hopefuly the game will be balanced

Tim Static

Adminerator
my tier list is so far

1. coming up with
2. tier lists or even
3. discussing them at
4. this stage is rather
5. silly. everything you've
6. seen could totally change
7. by the time you actually
8. play MK9.

:coffee:

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
my tier list is so far

1. coming up with
2. tier lists or even
3. discussing them at
4. this stage is rather
5. silly. everything you've
6. seen could totally change
7. by the time you actually
8. play MK9.

Its not exactly pointless. Talking about properties, and what could potentialy ruin a game from what we see can help the developers fix certain stuff.

REO

Undead
1 sub zero
2 kitana
3 sektor
4 reptile
5 scorpion
6 cage
7 nightwolf
8 cyrax
9 mileena
10 kung lao

MKF30

I was under the impression this is discussing for fun and with the released characters thus far(not the official tier list obviously lol)

But I do wonder where Ermac will be like Juggernaut stated, with this engine and 2D again and the combo potential lol I can imagine Ermac being badass!

Noob
1. UMK3
2. HDR
3. 3s
4. Scorpion
5. Cyrax
6. Kung Lao
7. Nightwolf
8. Sektor
9. Cage
10. Sub-Zero

Sorry, couldn't help myself...LOL

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
my tier list is so far

1. i like to come into threads
2. and if i have nothing to say
3. or i feel i can't contribute
4. to what the rest of you are enjoying in
5. conversation. mark my words, bitches
6. i will come into your thread
7. with my cup of joe :coffee:
8. and stare at you with my coffee eyes >> :coffee:

Hmm.. ;)

You guys seriously don't think Reptile will be near top? Force balls! Invisibility! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.