What's new

MK9: Unofficial Tier List Speculation, and/or Character Shenanigans Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Oh missed this part nori on the tekken reference :dance: ahh how I love that game.
Slightly off topic

I really wish there were some more advanced movements and moves that take a good amount of time and practice to actually do and then a shit load of more practice to effectively use and implement, Similar to Wave dashing, KBD and EWGF.

I'm curious as to the thoughts on Scorpion as far as tier goes. I mean he's very popular, to me he seem really solid, but i never hear anyone really talking about him tier wise.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
there should be a while card tier.
Do you mean wild card?

Hmm I think there might be some more Stryker Tech out there. He seems to play different than Ermac to me I dont see many similarities in their tools.
Well maybe it's just because it's the matchup I have the most experience with, but they seem to have similar tools in that they both zone and try to punish mistakes by the opponent. I suppose Stryker is more of a conventional zoner, but I really wish I felt like there was a more obvious way to use him that didn't feel sort of slightly handicapped.

I really wish there were some more advanced movements and moves that take a good amount of time and practice to actually do and then a shit load of more practice to effectively use and implement, Similar to Wave dashing, KBD and EWGF.
There is block dashing, but in general I'm kind of glad the game just doesn't come down to insane execution. There's plenty of games out there for this, I like that MK9 is a bit easier to learn BnBs and basic systems.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Yeah, MK9's not very execution-heavy, but there are a few things that do require dexterity, like taking full advantage of Kabal's NDCs and Sonya's MS options.

oZii

Noob
DLC Basemale is definitely S Tier he might need a nerf for sure. All that shit is + Frames on Block

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
DLC Basemale is definitely S Tier he might need a nerf for sure. All that shit is + Frames on Block
Are you kidding? Did you see his wake up game? They couldn't show it because they were limited on time, but he has this ex shoulder charge that resembles Sub zero's X-ray, but faster, stronger and he doesn't get hurt. It's pretty broken if you know how to do it correctly.

oZii

Noob
Are you kidding? Did you see his wake up game? They couldn't show it because they were limited on time, but he has this ex shoulder charge that resembles Sub zero's X-ray, but faster, stronger and he doesn't get hurt. It's pretty broken if you know how to do it correctly.

All with invincibility? So no oki shenanigans against him. Daihuu you better watch out I'm maining this Base Male. No projectiles so I don't have to worry your reflect anymore. No more block string worries!!

And I only have to worry about learning 4 moves too! Crazy 50/50 coming your way buddy!!!

Im about to tier-whore!

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
All with invincibility? So no oki shenanigans against him. Daihuu you better watch out I'm maining this Base Male. No projectiles so I don't have to worry your reflect anymore. No more block string worries!!

And I only have to worry about learning 4 moves too! Crazy 50/50 coming your way buddy!!!

Im about to tier-whore!
...Base male needs a nerf...10-0 against Nightwolf free :(

Sequel

Boob Titbot
You know for so much discussion centered around whether or not Kung should be nerfed, there's not many threads/posts dedicated to the character in the Character Forums. There's a ton for Sub, Smoke, Ermac, etc - yet Kung's is so empty. You would THINK that there would be more interest shown toward the character before CRYING NERF.

Note: Before you run your mouth and say that you don't need to show interest to understand what is broken, you should look at the Sentinel specific forum on SRK.

Error Macro

It April yet?
You know for so much discussion centered around whether or not Kung should be nerfed, there's not many threads/posts dedicated to the character in the Character Forums. There's a ton for Sub, Smoke, Ermac, etc - yet Kung's is so empty. You would THINK that there would be more interest shown toward the character before CRYING NERF.

Note: Before you run your mouth and say that you don't need to show interest to understand what is broken, you should look at the Sentinel specific forum on SRK.
Theres alot to learn with many of the characters...with more dlc characters coming very soon. Understanding this game and the matchups will take time

oZii

Noob
/ignore :salty:y ppl

Who the baddest MOFO lowdown around this town lmao. I loved that move hahaha.

Side note there is a dude stream MK Mythologies lol. I never played it or seen it before they had to be high when they made that shit lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm not "crying for a nerf" just stating my opinion on the experience that I've had. First of all testing stuff in MK9 isn't very easy. Before I go further, I would like to state that I've been told that NRS is aware of the training mode problem, and may be including a "record the training mode dummy" feature. There is a way to test some things in training mode by yourself though. What you would do is set the AI to Blocking "Always", "Duck" and set the Wake-Up move to "On". Then you would do a NJP (Neutral Jump Punch) to get a knockdown. You would then get next to the AI, block and just wait for the AI to do a wake-up move. The wake-up move is random, so you'll have to wait until it's the right one. Then just try and block and punish, or whatever is you want to test.

Kung Lao's spin is reminiscent of UMK3 Kabal's dash. Kabal's dash in UMK3 is fast, very fast. It can punish nearly everything in the game, including jumps from full screen. In fact, the main reason Kabal is the #1 character in the game, is because of his dash. However, the dash is easily punished on block. If it weren't easy to punish, he very may well be considered a God Tier character. And every top UMK3 player would say that if a new UMK3 were to be made, slightly nerfing the dash would be the way to go. Another reason it's like UMK3 Kabal's dash, is because you have to play Kung Lao in a different way than every other character. You always have to be weary of the spin. You are a lot more restricted because of it.

Now, Kung Lao's spin in MK9 isn't as good as UMK3 Kabal's dash, but it's pretty close. The only difference properties wise is the range and the recovery. The spin can punish a lot of things on block or otherwise, it's probably the best aa (anti-air) in the game, and it can prevent rushdown effectively. The problem is, is that it's not easily punished on block. It can be punished, but it requires strict timing to do so. Some characters may not even be able to punish it, I haven't tested it with everyone yet. It's an imbalanced risk/reward. Being able to throw out the spin with little risk, is a bad thing. Especially when you consider the reward for landing the spin.

The only defense right now is that "it's too early". While I agree that games shouldn't be unnecessarily nerfed, especially early in the games life, this is an exception to that. Well at least it's an exception to the "it's too early" part, considering it would be a necessary nerf. All the spin needs nerfing wise, is to make it easier to punish on block. Don't make the recovery ridiculous, just make it so that every character can easily punish it on block, like Kabal's spin in UMK3.

Now, if you disagree that it shouldn't be easier to punish, explain why. Don't just say "it's too early", or "you're just crying" etc.

oZii

Noob
OJuggernautO wrote
I'm not "crying for a nerf" just stating my opinion on the experience that I've had. First of all testing stuff in MK9 isn't very easy. Before I go further, I would like to state that I've been told that NRS is aware of the training mode problem, and may be including a "record the training mode dummy" feature. There is a way to test some things in training mode by yourself though. What you would do is set the AI to Blocking "Always", "Duck" and set the Wake-Up move to "On". Then you would do a NJP (Neutral Jump Punch) to get a knockdown. You would then get next to the AI, block and just wait for the AI to do a wake-up move. The wake-up move is random, so you'll have to wait until it's the right one. Then just try and block and punish, or whatever is you want to test.

Kung Lao's spin is reminiscent of UMK3 Kabal's dash. Kabal's dash in UMK3 is fast, very fast. It can punish nearly everything in the game, including jumps from full screen. In fact, the main reason Kabal is the #1 character in the game, is because of his dash. However, the dash is easily punished on block. If it weren't easy to punish, he very may well be considered a God Tier character. And every top UMK3 player would say that if a new UMK3 were to be made, slightly nerfing the dash would be the way to go. Another reason it's like UMK3 Kabal's dash, is because you have to play Kung Lao in a different way than every other character. You always have to be weary of the spin. You are a lot more restricted because of it.

Now, Kung Lao's spin in MK9 isn't as good as UMK3 Kabal's dash, but it's pretty close. The only difference properties wise is the range and the recovery. The spin can punish a lot of things on block or otherwise, it's probably the best aa (anti-air) in the game, and it can prevent rushdown effectively. The problem is, is that it's not easily punished on block. It can be punished, but it requires strict timing to do so. Some characters may not even be able to punish it, I haven't tested it with everyone yet. It's an imbalanced risk/reward. Being able to throw out the spin with little risk, is a bad thing. Especially when you consider the reward for landing the spin.

The only defense right now is that "it's too early". While I agree that games shouldn't be unnecessarily nerfed, especially early in the games life, this is an exception to that. Well at least it's an exception to the "it's too early" part, considering it would be a necessary nerf. All the spin needs nerfing wise, is to make it easier to punish on block. Don't make the recovery ridiculous, just make it so that every character can easily punish it on block, like Kabal's spin in UMK3.

Now, if you disagree that it shouldn't be easier to punish, explain why. Don't just say "it's too early", or "you're just crying" etc.

INB4 l2p l33t

Agreed on all points especially logical and mature response part. Especially in a General Character discussion thread:bigsmile:

Everyone that has an issue with it (even though it is a minor but valid gripe) has echoed the same statements you have. Maybe a blue name gets a better response.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades

I do have to say that after using that method to test punishment options it is a bit discouraging. I know that according to Tom most of the cast can punish, but what percentage is most? Testing Stryker my best punish is dash in standing :bk which is 9% and a semi-stagger. Hardly enough to deter a Kung Lao when he needs to hit one out of every five spins to make the risk equal the reward.

Also what exactly defines a "fast special?" I've been assuming that for Stryker his roll is his fast special, but it doesn't punish many of the things listed as being "punished by fast special." Is it just not fast enough?

Is this simply a case of high tier thoroughly smashing low tier or are there many other characters with these same issues?

INB4 l2p l33t

Agreed on all points especially logical and mature response part. Especially in a General Character discussion thread:bigsmile:

Everyone that has an issue with it (even though it is a minor but valid gripe) has echoed the same statements you have. Maybe a blue name gets a better response.
Blue, green, gold, or red.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I think we should discuss some other (potential) top tier chars like Raiden/Cage/Reptile/Nightwolf/Sub

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I think we should discuss some other (potential) top tier chars like Raiden/Cage/Reptile/Nightwolf/Sub
cage and nw I wouldn't touch ATM. they are very good but are lacking in certain areas. same as cyber sub very good character but lacks in certain areas.

raiden a character I use, the only thing I would tweak on him is him being able to do a blocked string into teleport. I wouldn't allow the teleport after a 3rd blocked hit.

subzero - he shouldn't be able to refreeze with the b+2. it's unblockable and it refreezes give me a fucking break. if he has this move every character should have this type of move. (an unblockable attack if charged, kinda like tekkens unblockable attacks).

reptile EH dash needs to be punishable it's falls in the same area as Kung spin. it's punishable but the window is small to punish it. and the reward is big like the spin.

tonight I'll make a final post about why I think Kung should be toned in certain areas. after that I'll STFU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.