What's new

Match-up Discussion MK9 2013 Tier List

Matix218

Get over here!
You make some good points. Sub Zero loses 3-7 or worse to Kabal, Kenshi and Freddy. Kitana I don't think is as bad but it is probably a 4-6. Sub Zero definitely has it tough but I think he's overall a better character tool wise. Scorpion is very hit and miss as you pointed out with the vortex. Sub Zero's damage isn't great as you also correctly stated.

I think Sub Zero has consistency going for him in his tools. One of the best d+4's, one of the best corner games and maybe the best special in the game with his ice clone. Not to mention his x-ray has some use. It's tough but I'd give a slight edge to Sub Zero. Scorpion's game is far too risky for my liking.

On second thought I'm not sure who's better. Maybe I'm biased as a Sub Zero player :p.
I love both characters (smoke main but my alts are ermac, sub, scorp and noob)

They def both have their difficulties but I still love to play them! ^_^

I just freaking love mk9 is the bottom line lol

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Quan Chi is a fucking dirty character he should be A or highest B on that rank

Rune Trap is broken and a huge ridiculous comeback factor in the game like Smoke and Cyrax

Gargantuan meter building character just for blocking his strings

Fast projectile

Armor to escape unlike some unfortunate characters he has small hitbox too

EX Trance drains meter like Cyrax EX Net

Arguably best uppercut in the game

No one should ever underestimate Quan Chi, it takes the right master to use him like Dink represented MK

Who does Quan Chi lose to unbearably lopsided except Cage and Sonya?

We should appreciate Shujinkydink for highest top level Quan Chi, if there was no Dink then Quan Chi would be next to Kano

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

Rune Trap is broken and a huge ridiculous comeback factor in the game like Smoke and Cyrax

Fast projectile

No one should ever underestimate Quan Chi, it takes the right master to use him like Dink represented MK

We should appreciate Shujinkydink for highest top level Quan Chi, if there was no Dink then Quan Chi would be next to Kano

Man quan isn't that great lol.

I agree with most of what you said tho. His d2 is ridiculously good, but sadly, that's his only decent poke, and it will be scouted and punished a lot. His armor is good too, but just like his d2, it'll be scouted and punished.

His rune trap is one of the most broken things in the game, I'll give you that. But in certain MUs, the rune trap doesn't even come into play because he has to break. Same with the ex trance, he needs meter for that but what if he has to break?

Also, kitana mops quan up free. Its just not cage and Sonya. I heard liu kang is awful too. What about Kabal and kenshi?

Quan has problems man. Way too slow, extremely punishable, highly meter dependent, etc. He may be too low on the list, maybe, but he definitely isn't A tier.

RM_Gamer

Noob
smoke destroys quan 7-3. gets out spaced, more damage, smoke bomb shuts down everything he has. gets out footsied easy. and if ur thinking of saving meter for rune trap then eat 30-70% damage. oh and a blocked trance = free smoke bomb combo, thats 33% and a possible reset. ggs quan stay free

zaf

professor
smoke destroys quan 7-3. gets out spaced, more damage, smoke bomb shuts down everything he has. gets out footsied easy. and if ur thinking of saving meter for rune trap then eat 30-70% damage. oh and a blocked trance = free smoke bomb combo, thats 33% and a possible reset. ggs quan stay free
^^same reasons that ermac beats him bad.
he gets out spaced, ermac has more damage.
TKP shuts down the neutral game for quan, because quan literally can not punish it.
he gets out footsies too. if you save meter for rune trap you eat huge damage.
if you use your meter for breaker, no rune trap.
blocked trance = free combo for ermac.

as khaotik said, these are his main problems.
Quan has problems man. Way too slow, extremely punishable, highly meter dependent, etc. He may be too low on the list, maybe, but he definitely isn't A tier.

The Tier List that matters:

Coolest character ever: Sheeva

Biggest bulge: Jax/Cyblacks

Real nigga: Noob

Biggest tits: Sindel

So broken: Mileena (vs. Sheeva)

Hairiest man: Kano

Hairiest women: Kitana/Sonya

Swaggiest combros: Shang/Lao/Jade/Ermac/Reps/Raiden/Rain/Sextor/Skarlet

Broken combros: Cyrax/Smokesauce

Reset dat ass: Scorps/Cage/Quanybaby/Raka

Get babied bro: Kahbahlz

Hella boring: Subz/Kenshi

Hella boring combos: Kang

Cool, but meh: CySubz

Now you're a man, a manneh manneh man: Nightwolf/Stryker

Why are you in the game: Kratos/Freddy

Not that my opinion matters, but I can't see Quan being any higher than C in this list--he has problems with a lot of characters in B. I just don't see how he can get his offense going--his pokes aren't great and he struggles with sluggish start ups on normals. 11 is decent, but it hits high so you can just duck it. Once he gets locked down, your only real option is to ES telestomp out, but even that isn't safe and can be full combo punished on back dash to force a block, or those with quick start ups can just punish the whiffed telestomp.

I'm not saying he is helpless by any means, but it's an uphill battle with some of the characters in C, most of the characters that are B and up. You can win, but you have to outplay your opponent, but a Tier list is based on equal talent, so I think at most he could go up to is C.

coolwhip

Noob
80%, 1 bar, practical.
2 bars, BREAKER-KILLING AND PRACTICAL.
Countless different variations.
Countless different setups.
Answers for almost everything.
+5 334 and +...11 i think it was for F2?
Command Grab.

All together. In one robot.
And a human variation that trades small bits of damage for 121 Saw and a SAFE TELEPORT.

And it doesn't make him #3?
After winning EVO, perhaps #2?

Cyrax.
That's only half of it.

Easily one of the best D4's in the game that leads to a stupid guessing game (well, it's not a complete guessing game but it's still awful). Huge UNBREAKABLE damage. Breaker traps (I don't think enough is being made of how stupid they are), you have to choose between dying or losing your meter and dying. Awesome. Ability to take your meter. Anti-air special move that has huge priority. Someone who uses it well means Cyrax can almost never be crossed up (Noobe does this very well). Meterless resets in the corner. Great corner game in general. All around stupidly broken set-ups (just watch Han play).

This character is top 3, maybe even top 2. I'm convinced.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Man quan isn't that great lol.

I agree with most of what you said tho. His d2 is ridiculously good, but sadly, that's his only decent poke, and it will be scouted and punished a lot. His armor is good too, but just like his d2, it'll be scouted and punished.

His rune trap is one of the most broken things in the game, I'll give you that. But in certain MUs, the rune trap doesn't even come into play because he has to break. Same with the ex trance, he needs meter for that but what if he has to break?

Also, kitana mops quan up free. Its just not cage and Sonya. I heard liu kang is awful too. What about Kabal and kenshi?

Quan Chi is free for Kenshi. No way hes A or even B tier.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User

Fast projectile

What about:

• Low practical meterless damage (nobody is launching w/ B12 lbsh)
• B3 1+2 in interruptable on block and you don't need armor to do it.
• Terrible D1
• F12 has nice reach and active frames but it also has a lot of recovery making it just average
• B3 / U3 is able to be fuzzy guarded so you need to risk using gimmicks at times to land it, U3 on block is pretty much death.

He's good and I will definitely move him up should Dink and Soup agree but he's still not THAT good of a character. He has flaws for a reason. He also loses 7-3 to Smoke so i'd say thats pretty lopsided, probably gets bodied by Kenshi and Kabal as well. What match ups does he actually win? He's so reliant on rune trap most of the time, and it's the least resource-efficient damage exploit in this game. Spending 3 bars for approx 50% while everyone else does that with 1 bar, allowing them to be a massive threat every round.

Why are you in the game: Kratos/Freddy
Kratos: Because Kratos has had some inspiration from Mortal Kombat when his character was being conceptualized.
Freddy: To make teh moneyz. The fact he is Freddy Krueger from the remake film tells me so.

Anyway, looking at xSMoKEx's tier list, I would say Kratos is on the lower end of B tier at best, but within the top three of C tier at worst.

Goldi

Noob
The thing about Quan is when he's played well he doesn't just look like a good character, he looks straight up broken! It makes it difficult to think he's low tier.

Immortal

Blind justice....
The thing about Quan is when he's played well he doesn't just look like a good character, he looks straight up broken! It makes it difficult to think he's low tier.
It only looks like that if you don't know the matchup other then that hes free to many higher tier characters.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
It only looks like that if you don't know the matchup other then that hes free to many higher tier characters.
Trust me man she knows the MU lol.

Quan has his problems yes, but the rune trap just can't be ignored, a possible 90% combo from anything unsafe blocked and punished. His d3 is good to get out of pressure, on hit makes b3 7 frames. His d1 is awesome but not in traditional sense. It's huge hitbox stuffs jump kicks and dive kicks and stops advancing opponents. Smoke and kitana are 6-4 in their favor with JC,Sonya LK and Kenshi at 7-3. He has problems but you can't ignore ex rune

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Sounds about right. I'd put Cyrax in S+ tier, he clearly goes even with Kabal in every regard. But that's just me.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Trust me man she knows the MU lol.

Quan has his problems yes, but the rune trap just can't be ignored, a possible 90% combo from anything unsafe blocked and punished. His d3 is good to get out of pressure, on hit makes b3 7 frames. His d1 is awesome but not in traditional sense. It's huge hitbox stuffs jump kicks and dive kicks and stops advancing opponents. Smoke and kitana are 6-4 in their favor with JC,Sonya LK and Kenshi at 7-3. He has problems but you can't ignore ex rune
I don't have anything against her, man and i know the MU inside out. There is really next to nothing he can do vs high tier characters like Kenshi, Sonya, JC, Kabal who knows his gameplan. We're 3 years into the game, there aren't many surprises left to discover, really. Quan Chi is just mediocre at best and got several really bad MU, thats a known fact. Thats why he never was and never will be tournament viable + is consider overall weak to mediocre.

Lets stop with this atrocious downplaying or upplaying (in this case).

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Move Sonya down to the "cheap fuckers" tier with Freddy & Lao. She doesn't belong in the "I'm fucked everywhere on the screen/1 touch & I'm dead" tier, nor is she anywhere close to the "I can do whatever I want lolz...I don't like my on-block frame data, I will cancel into NDC to change it" tier.

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Cyrax should be number one, then bump kabal, kenshi, sonya down one in my opinion.
This is a funny post lol. I think one of the worst things about Kabal is that after iagb'ing himself into the corner, if you land a combo on him, he'll have enough meter to break your combo & dash out of the corner again.

What is worse?

A) I touch you and you're dead, but I have to get to you first

or

B) I can run away all match & build meter, if I touch you you eat 30%+ percent & I build a bar of meter off of pressure afterwards, if you corner me I will break your combo & dash out, I have armor all over the place & can cancel into overhead/low mixup off all my strings

Both are retarded, but I think B is worse.