What's new

Match-up Discussion MK9 2013 Tier List

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Quan Chi is one of those characters who become efficient with experience, as they start gimmicky, opponents learn the moveset, you set them up with bullshit, they become better to react so they don't have to GUESS the bullshit (yeah I was referring to almost everyone I've seen facing a Quan Chi other than my sparring partners). Then comes the part where your normals are no longer an option and you start swiftly changing from zoning to cqc... mixed with the bullshit
point: When the community isn't serious with a character, most weak minds tend to believe the character is weak and their efforts suddenly seem futile even before they start. The names Insup mentioned are not some kind of genius (...except UTM... nvm), but more likely the only ones who liked their character
Possibly the bet text i have read regarding a character. Props tsiriHidan. Moujanobe.

So MK9 has been out since April 2011, making this April coming up the third year since release. I know not too many people currently play but I'm personally still playing and I want to create a fairly accurate tier discussion. I got thinking thanks to GGA 16 Bit on KTP talking about KT Smith and Smoke + Chef and Reptile, and I really just want to take the opportunity to FAIRLY break down each characters tools.

Currently, my tier list looks like this: (it's supposed to be in order but especially for the lower tiers, characters could easily change a spot or two)

S+ Tier:
Kabal

S Tier:
Kenshi
Cyrax
Sonya

A+ Tier
Freddy
Lao

A Tier:
Cage
Kitana
Smoke
Jax
Skarlet

B Tier:
Reptile
Liu Kang
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Raiden
Mileena
Sub-Zero
Ermac

C Tier:
Rain
Baraka
Scorpion
Noob Saibot
Cyber Sub Zero
Sindel

D Tier:
Quan Chi
Jade
Stryker
Nightwolf

F Tier:
Sheeva
Kano

I personally have Kenshi above Sonya but I do think Sonya is an easier character; this is purely assuming your at the highest level of play. For example, a mediocre Sonya is probably better than a mediocre Kenshi given the nature of the character. However, take two players who are at the top in terms of their character such as Pig of the Hut and Death, and Kenshi is a superior character imo. Also, Cyrax could very well be bumped up a tier.

What do we think? Is there a character you feel is underrated? Personally I believe Baraka is slightly better than what most of the community makes him out to be, we've seen plenty a top notch Baraka in Tetra Spirit and even Permodius early on in the game's life. Basically just stir up some discussion and try not to use the groupthink bias that the community often has, give each character a fair chance.