What's new

Match-up Discussion MK9 2013 Tier List

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
on KTP talking about KT Smith and Smoke + Chef and Reptile

I try to get out but they (I?) keep dragging me/myself back in.

I guess now I have to go listen to how I got brought up in the podcast

EDIT: I pretty much agree with S+, S, A+, and A tiers 100% (though I'd put Cyrax up into S+. Top 2)

Im not really interested in debating the minutia of tiers below A because from my perspective it's meaningless. I lump every other character below A into a "below high tier" tier and call it a day.

Gumby

Noob
Cyrax should be S
Smoke should A+
Baraka should be higher. Not sure by how much, but he definitely has stuff going for him.
Still feel like Raiden's being underestimated. B+
Why is Quan chi so low? Do y'all know something I don't?
Noob should be lower. Maybe he could swap places with Quan Chi.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
I'm just curious, coz in your opinion Kenshi is "braindead", how do you see Kabal? :D
i main kabal so i don't hate him lol. what i mean is i love Kenshi too much, one of my fav mk chars, but everytime i fight against Kenshi players or watch Kenshi matches (even if it's Pig's Kenshi), he annoys me lol.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I'm just curious what the argument is for Cyrax being better than Smoke. I feel like even if Smoke isn't better than Cyrax, he should be right next to him.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Wait, what? You actually thought for a second that Smoke is better then Cyrax?

Im not a Cyrax player but that seems pretty obvious for me. Cyrax has way more options then Smoke and higher dmg output.

RM Truth

Wait, what? You actually thought for a second that Smoke is better then Cyrax?

Im not a Cyrax player but that seems pretty obvious for me. Cyrax has way more options then Smoke and higher dmg output.

They both have touch of death combos -_-.

RM Truth

True but Cyrax is more dmg if i remember correctly.

I mean Cyrax does more dmg for one bar, but when you have 2 bars after the first hit its kinda negligible. Also, I feel like Smoke is more likely to get the hit than Cyrax is since he has better normals, and he can antizone Cyrax.

EDIT: I don't wanna turn this into a MU discussion. Just saying that I think Smoke is being underrated in this tier list.

EDIT 2: I don't know about 70%, but Smoke can get roughly 50% off of just about any hitconfirm.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Quan Chi is terrible--few characters have it worse than him. His only redeeming quality really is Rune Trap and even that only makes most of his matchups 5-5 and 4-6. If you have to break, your offense goes away.

Some claim his mixups are good, but they're only good if someone doesn't know Quan. Quan's low starter is decent, but he doesn't have anything to give you a reason not to block him low. He has two overhead options, the first is after the low starter, B, 1+2, but you have plenty of time to see it coming and block. The second option is U+3, which is extremely slow and can be blocked on reaction pretty much, not to mention is is full combo punished on block by the entire cast.

His wake up game makes getting cornered a nightmare, and ES telestomp is really the only way out of pressure. Even then, someone can anticipate the ES telestomp, back dash and full combo punish it. His uppercut is decent, but that's about it.

Quan can frustrate players unfamiliar with him and his gimmicks--outside of that, he gets steam rolled by a lot of the cast.
I did well with Ermac, I only have a handful of losses in ranked and a shit ton of wins using just him. I guess playing scrubs got my Ermac's head a little big.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
ok, so GGA 16 Bit , here's my response to the epic blow up from the podcast.

First, I agree that I stopped playing the game before it reached it's peak but I wouldn't say I quit it; circumstances arose and I decided against continuing to play it even though I wanted to. In the interim, my interest in playing MK9 competitively died out.

I would also agree that if you look at my Smoke through the lens of the total game lifespan it was under developed. But that's not really fair because in march 2012 EVERYONE was underdeveloped except the Dominican Bros and REO and detroitballin. At the time my Smoke was just as good, if not better, than any and every other Smoke. (yea I got bodied in the GGA room in the mirror and I don't have anything to say really. I choked and I have to hold dat L. I also only beat m2dave 3-2 because I had never played a Freddy before; I was learning the match up on the fly)

Across the lifespan of the game to this point it's obvious that Wafflez is the best Smoke and I have NEVER said otherwise so please don't go around putting words in my mouth. I've never said I was even a top player once ever.

I'll repeat that I agree 100% with xSMoKEx 's placement of Smoke in A tier. But to put him into the same tier as Sonya or Kenshi or Cyrax is just fucking ridiculous.

I think you've got it in your head that I somehow blame failures on bad match ups which is not the case AT ALL. I have never once bitched about a loss that was to a character I thought wasn't a bad match up. And, it sure as fuck didn't make me change the MU numbers in my head. Did I go around telling everyone that Smoke loses to Kenshi or Kitana when you and pig beat me at the Arena? Or that he loses to Cyrax whenever Maxter beat me? Fuck no ( AK Pig Of The Hut ). I always claimed those MUs are relatively even and I even thought that Smoke could beat Cyrax, if only slightly.

I'm also not a serial downplayer as evidenced by my ramblings on how Green Lantern is probably the best character in Injustice.

Who the fuck knows. Maybe if I had kept on and put in the hours I would have found ways to fight back in his bad match ups and I would have a different opinion. Regardless, no one who plays Smoke seriously at this point is gonna tell me that Smoke doesn't lose bad to all the popular tournament characters. Wafflez ?

If Wafflez comes in here and says "yea I've got new tech/strats since you left and the problem MU's aren't as bad now" then I will never post about match up matters in MK9 ever again.

But if not, as far as I'm concerned, If people are gonna play cage/sonya/lao/kabal and then sit there and say "BRO SMOKE IS ONE OF THE BEST CHARACTERS/SMOKE IS BULLSHIT BECAUSE OF DAMAGE EXPLOITZ" they can go fuck themselves.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
S+ Tier:
Kabal

S Tier:
Kenshi
Sonya

A+ Tier
Cyrax
Freddy
Lao

A Tier:
Cage
Kitana
Smoke
Jax
Skarlet

B Tier:
Reptile
Liu Kang
Raiden
Sektor
Ermac
Shang Tsung
Mileena
Sub-Zero

C Tier:
Rain
Scorpion
Noob Saibot
Cyber Sub Zero
Baraka
Sindel

D Tier:
Quan Chi
Jade
Stryker
Nightwolf

F Tier:
Sheeva
Kano
I agree with this alot actually. The main things I would change are:

Move Cyrax to S tier in between Kenshi and Sonya

Move Rain up to B tier, somewhere close to the middle

Move Shang Tsung to the very top of B tier

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
I still think it's funny that Rain always gets arguments in tier lists. He SEEMS godlike ( no pun intended ), but he just has to many major problems.