What's new

MK11 Story Discussion Thread (obvious spoilers)

The best story mode NRS wrote was a retelling of their old story with a few new twists and turns, aka MK9. In MKX, they introduced a whole new set of characters and plotlines, including the whole revenant thing, but with the overarching storyline of MK4. And it was average to meh. Now in MK11, they decided to completely stray from the source material and make a new villian and a completely new story. And this might be the most convoluted messy story they've done so far. And now we're back to the beginning with the realms to be remade by Liu kang.
we may be back at the begging but everthing might be differnt i mean maybe we might see how things are played in the past in the timeline

I don't know about lazy but definitely way too convoluted and they simply ignored quite a few characters like Ermac, Sindel, Smoke, Reptile, Stryker, etc, etc I think these have to addressed in the next game.
if liu,kitana and possible raiden still rember there old timeline im sure they adreressed it

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
The best story mode NRS wrote was a retelling of their old story with a few new twists and turns, aka MK9. In MKX, they introduced a whole new set of characters and plotlines, including the whole revenant thing, but with the overarching storyline of MK4. And it was average to meh. Now in MK11, they decided to completely stray from the source material and make a new villian and a completely new story. And this might be the most convoluted messy story they've done so far. And now we're back to the beginning with the realms to be remade by Liu kang.

Agreed.
MK9 worked for two simple reasons: 1) it played to the lore not against it, 2) plot made sense.
MKX was meh because the shifted focus on the Kombat Kids, that we can all agree don't have the same charisma of the usual main characters, but plotwise it mostly worked.
This one doesn't...It retcons most of the enstablished lore, the time travel mechanics makes absolutely zero sense, there's a couple of pretty big plot holes and characters are all over the place (often literally).

I think that with the last two games they kinda wrote themselves into a corner by killing and/or turning into revenants a lot of main characters (especially Liu Kang) and they needed to introduce time travel as an excuse to reboot the series again. But man, two reboots in the last three games of a almost 30 years old series famous for its lore is a bit much to stomach.

FaneBlackwing

Best in the West
Really enjoyed the story up until the end.

That was possibly the least interesting and most irritating way to end off MK11. We're more than likely going into yet another brand new timeline with the next game, which is what irritates me the most.

There was A LOT of potential with the story post-MK9 and even MKX and they kinda just screwed the pooch with it. There's so many things they did right in this story mode, but they just... threw it all away. Also a lot of the character choices? Really not fitting for the story imo. They made a lot of characters REALLY good and made potential for so many more, and a lot of storylines were very promising but cut off too early or just not really explored much.

I would honestly rather they either retcon the ending or just make it so that Liu Kang + Kitana basically just decide to continue where they left off in the current timeline. They ended this timeline WAY too early and they just didn't explore it as much as they should've and could've.

I mean, characters like Shang Tsung, Ermac, Mileena, Reptile, Rain, Noob Saibot, Smoke, Baraka, Sheeva, Sindel, etc... had so much promise and potential.

Honestly, I feel like Kabal, Frost, Cetrion, and Noob Saibot were really not necessary in the story at all. Kabal did basically nothing at all and only made like... two appearances? Frost could've not existed in the story and really, nothing would've been different. Sektor/Cyrax did the job and she was just there in the background for the most part. Cetrion was... very underwhelming to say the least. I expected much more from her, but NRS basically just threw her in there as a way to wipe the current timeline. That was literally it. She's a character I wouldn't mind to never see again. She was utterly pointless. As much as I love Noob, he really did nothing of importance.

Another big problem I had was that Ermac, Reptile, and Ferra/Torr were just seemingly non-existent. Current timeline Erron Black only appeared once. All of Kotal's trusted allies were just MIA for no apparent reason. Speaking of, Kenshi, Takeda, and Kung Jin were also just... not there and never mentioned whatsoever.

Despite MKX actually using other revenants like Smoke, Nightwolf, Kabal, Stryker, and Sindel. This one only starred Kitana, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Jade, and Kabal for... whatever reason. Like they didn't even need to be fightable, they could've just been like Sheeva.

So many plot holes as well. Like when Kitana killed Shao Kahn. That effectively results in Kung Lao never dying, Sindel never being resurrected which would then result in none of the revenants ever becoming... revenants, Liu Kang wouldn't die, and Shang Tsung wouldn't have died(Probably so much more I'm missing). Kano dying also means that Kabal would've never been saved by him from dying to Kintaro.

As far as what this story did right?

Kitana's character development was amazing, and I love how they finally utilized Baraka in a new way. It was refreshing to see him turn to good rather than mindlessly follow the bad dudes for the lamest reasons ever. I LOVED Queen Sheeva so much, and she definitely works as a wonderful ruler to the Shokan as you could gather from the MKX comics and this story as well.

Kollector was actually a pretty nice addition to the cast, and he didn't feel out of place like Cetrion did.

Fire God Liu Kang was SUCH a good idea, but... well, you know how that turned out!

Overall I'd honestly rate the story a solid 4/10. They just did too much wrong and not enough right, and if this was an attempt at cleaning the slate to start anew again? It was a horrible way to end off the current timeline for a new one. If it was an attempt to just close off Mortal Kombat altogether? Easily the worst possible way they could've chosen to go about it. I really expected more from this, and this is possibly the first time I've played a NRS game and thoroughly enjoyed the story up until the falling action + resolution which was so bad that I ended up saying to myself "This was really bad and shouldn't have been the final product."

Last edited:

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
I didnt read this thread, but anyone else think the dreamlady from Jade's mk9 ending is her mother who we see in her mk11 ending

HAMMER

Noob
Question:

It took me two times dying two rounds to beat Kronika.

I noticed the first time I lost a round the level changed.

Does this happen if you win the rounds 2-0?

I lost round 1, then won round 2 and 3 when I beat her the third try.

Do I lose any trophies for losing to her?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
we may be back at the begging but everthing might be differnt i mean maybe we might see how things are played in the past in the timeline

if liu,kitana and possible raiden still rember there old timeline im sure they adreressed it
They didn't address it at all though, those specific characters but I'm sure they'll be mentioned in MK 12 I hope. I bet LK and Kitana will not only be the new keepers of time which they are but LK is also the new Protector of Earthrealm with Raiden's power now, maybe they'll be the new Elder Gods? Guess time will tell.

Jiderx

Noob
Agreed.
MK9 worked for two simple reasons: 1) it played to the lore not against it, 2) plot made sense.
MKX was meh because the shifted focus on the Kombat Kids, that we can all agree don't have the same charisma of the usual main characters, but plotwise it mostly worked.
This one doesn't...It retcons most of the enstablished lore, the time travel mechanics makes absolutely zero sense, there's a couple of pretty big plot holes and characters are all over the place (often literally).

I think that with the last two games they kinda wrote themselves into a corner by killing and/or turning into revenants a lot of main characters (especially Liu Kang) and they needed to introduce time travel as an excuse to reboot the series again. But man, two reboots in the last three games of a almost 30 years old series famous for its lore is a bit much to stomach.
[/QUOi
Agreed.

I agree completely. I can only commend the voice acting because it was good. The story though pretty convoluted.

Marvelnerd

Cyber Smoke #1
Gotta say, I enjoyed the story quite a bit. I'm assuming they did the ending the way they did as a send off, I feel like they're going to probably take a long long break from MK after this.
I noticed the first time I lost a round the level changed.

Does this happen if you win the rounds 2-0?

I lost round 1, then won round 2 and 3 when I beat her the third try.

Do I lose any trophies for losing to her?
No, but you get a different ending.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
I don’t get not enough noob in the story mode I thought he was well represented . Scarlet also had decent amount of time , along with Baraka.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
As a Liu Kng fan through and through, I thoroughly enjoyed the story mode. I agree that they could / should have represented more characters in the story even as NPCs, but for what we got, it was well thought out and solid. Maybe I'll have to go back and really look for plot holes and such, but upon first viewing it seemed pretty good.

I'm SOOOO happy that Fire God Liu is a thing now.
This theoretical character has been one I've wanted to see since way back in the day.

Other than that, the other thing I was most impressed by is the power scaling they did in the story. FINALLY they took it serisouly, and allowed us to see the characters as they should be. No longer is Jax being beaten down by THREE random Tarkatans, or is some out of left field type defeat popping up like Kung Jin defeating Kotal (I enjoyed the Jacqui / Centrion fight), so by that stand point I count it as a win.

One thing I'm not so sure about is the dark and light balance thing. I was really hoping that Kronika would be an aspect of the One Being...but she isn't (apparently)...but she is higher than an Elder God? Someone might need to explain that one. NRS sort of just threw a huge curve ball in the lore here, and I'm not completely following.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Lol ya . A fresh start I don’t think they’ll make MK 11 for 6-7 years to be honest
I'm actually fine with that. I mean I was hoping that they would retell all the old stories only with a twist, and what we got was basically a completely turnt retelling of Armageddon with a definitive ending to the series lore..

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Best Mortal Kombat story by far. Not sure if it beats Injustice's 2 one though.

When it comes to time travel I've never seen one that dosnt fall apart if you think about it too much. Things like Kahn dieing and the other's still been Revenants I just read as time working around the changes to "course correct". I'm sure Kano's early death would have also had significant butterfly effect had time not adapted to the change.

If i was going to pick faults id say why did Kronica not work in secret if all she needed was time to gain strength (and get the souls) also why not enact her plan before the character's were even born. Best just to go along with the ride and enjoy. I feel any time travel story gets a pass in this regard (like in MK9 why was the message Raiden sent through time so cryptic etc etc).

I did feel the last chapter some what anti climatic. It would of helped if Kronica got a death or two in, especially considering it would all be reset soon after... and I was totally waiting for THAT music to kick in ;)

On the positive side every character seemed to get their due and acknowledged past events perfectly. No one seemed like a jobber and there was lots of shades of grey in the story which i enjoyed. I really really thought the Raiden/Lu Kang conflict resolution was amazing and retroactively made rhe accidental death in MK 9 so much more meaningful.

Overall a solid 8/10 from me. Would of been a 10/10 had they added Sindel and Shinnok into the story mode (they felt missed with their family running about), had a sharper last chapter and ended with the MK theme in the final fight.

Last edited:

Mk9kevin

Sareena for MK11!
Honestly I’m kinda bittersweet with the story. I enjoyed the character development. Kitana stole the show IMO, she was done beautifully(also that costume is amazing). I’m a big fan of her uniting Outworld. Liu Kang is finally redeeming himself, with all the God stuff going around(his MK9 ladder ending came true I guess). After reading the MKX comics, I was really hoping Sheeva would be in the story and I was soooooo hyped when she came out! Hopefully she is DLC so she can be properly redeemed. And Baraka going to the good side??? Big plus for me.

However if I’m being honest, there are some things that I felt pretty meh about it. For example Frost. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that they put in a 3D era character into this but... She didn’t really do much for the story. If Sektor would have replaced her, I think that would have made way more sense(and Sektor looked so freaking badass too). I haven’t played as Frost yet, but I do like her redesigns, and I’m glad that she’s the first female cyborg tho.

Another thing that makes me feel iffy about all of this is the way it ended. Basically everything that happened in the storyline didn’t matter at all since it all got erased. And I’m really interested to see how it all goes down in the next game.

Also, I’m still confused as to where Takeda and Kung Jin are? I don’t think that was mentioned in the story, alongside Kenshi(besides that nod in the Krypt).

Orverall it was cheesy and fun, I think I’m giving this an 8/10. I think this was the best MK story to date. Kronika is a bitch to fight tho.