What's new

MK11 Story Discussion Thread (obvious spoilers)

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So TL;DW

• Dark Raiden torturing Shinnok was cool
  • Present Sonya's death was unnecessary
  • Present Jax is a fucking idiot
  • Kotal is a total bitch who gets his ass beat by everybody, and by the end of his "character arc" he's not even an emperor anymore
  • Past Jade is thirsty for Kotal for basically no reason
  • Past Kitana is given a title of an Outworld Empress because..?
  • Baraka is finally on the winning side of things, which was cool
  • Present Scorpion's death was completely unnecessary
  • Past Sonya and Johhny basically disappear from the story once they decide to go out on a date
  • Cassie's arm should've been blown off with Kano's minigun, real talk
  • The Final Chapter is kind of cool with all the fighting taking place. Really did not expect for the Raiden/Liu fusion to happen
  • Erron is still useless
  • Skarlet is barely present onscreen
  • Past Kano, Present Kano, Shao Kahn dead
  • The endings is kind of terrible. Why do what is eesentially another reset when we've had one only two games ago?
I agree 100% but honestly didnt you expect a coherent story with no plot holes in a fighting game lol
I watched the whole thing on youtube. It was entertaining to say the least but like every other MK game, I go through the story just cuz its there and Im curious. At this point, Im hoping there is a skip button because Im not down to watch it again lol

Jiderx

Noob
The story mode felt underwhelming so many plot holes and no explanation. Where are the remaining revenants and what happened to reptile???

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Im asking because some games only allow you to skip if this is your second time going through the campaign. And I didnt know if MKX allowed it since I only played it once and never went back lol
Only MK9 didn’t have that, it also didn’t have chapter select, lol. Since Injustice you can skip them by pressing options and skip

mattteo

Noob
There is more to it. Before Shinnok there should be the One who must be defeated and shattered into Realms by other Elder Gods. They completely forgot about this when they made up Kronika. Elder Gods shouldn’t have parents. This is too fucked up.
Also Liu and Kitana said they won’t touch anything in their rule so that everyone could choose their own fate.

I think they're past the point when the One Being was defeated. I mean, a Universe already exists, so the OB (which it's made of) is already killed, they're in the primordial soup Universe stages.

And the Titans may not be canon, they're in an ending and endings have been non-canon as of late. Even background information. Look at Erron Black's background info in MKX or Argus' endings in MK Armageddon.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
So I got a question, why did Hanzo die but not past Scorpion? When Sonya shot past Kano, old Kano also died. I mean it was a beautiful moment, Scorpion holding Hanzo and shit, but eh, plot hole?

mattteo

Noob
So I got a question, why did Hanzo die but not past Scorpion? When Sonya shot past Kano, old Kano also died. I mean it was a beautiful moment, Scorpion holding Hanzo and shit, but eh, plot hole?

I don;t want to offend or anything, but....how old are you that you don't get that?!

mattteo

Noob
How about explaining instead of being a dick? It's possible I missed something I watched it all last night in one go.

Man before me explained quite well. Apologies again, I didn;t mean to offend.

Just that I saw you Cassie sig and if Cassie is your favourite character, I thought you might be a kid.

If you're younger than 14, please, my advice is to stop playing this game. It's just unhealthy for you.

If you're older...good for u. But older and still Cassie as your favourite?

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

Just that I saw you Cassie sig and if Cassie is your favourite character, I thought you might be a kid.

If you're younger than 14, please, my advice is to stop playing this game. It's just unhealthy for you.

I'm 28, I've mained Cassie since X, why would ONLY kids like her? Damn, how old are YOU? With the 'logic' you're using, you sound like you still haven't finished high school. Seriously, wtf?

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
I'm 28, I've mained Cassie since X, why would ONLY kids like her? Damn, how old are YOU? you sound like a pre-teen.
Oh we doin this.

Who do you main sir? Lets get on level footing before we start swinging.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Pretty much because
The Scorpion/Hanzo that died was the one in the future, the one who was already Scorpion then got freed from Quan Chi in MK X, joined and made peace with Sub and the good guys, this Scorpion/Hanzo still has powers as you can tell from the story but apparently was mortal again, personally I felt the way he died was kind of stupid but whatever. At least they made his past self like him and honorable, not just rage. The one with the white eyes, mask is younger Scorpion/Hanzo

Man great story but definitely had a few issues, for one where the hell was Ermac, Sindel, Smoke, Rain, Fujin, Tanya, Mileena, NW, Stryker? It's like they just ignored them completely or pretended they didn't exist. I thought they were handled poorly.

Cetrion WTF, she's supposed to be good about life helps Raiden initially well the Elder Gods in general but she agreed clearly on how to beat Kronika then 10 mins later the other Elder Gods "die" but she's spared no doubt by Kronika being her daughter, yet Cetrion automatically takes Kronika's side? I didn't get this....

A few time injury inconsistencies like the Johnny vs Johnny fight, you'd think him beating himself up he'd feel the pain like when we saw Kano and Kano vs. Sonya. She was hitting him and the older self was getting hurt, maybe they were vital injuries? The end of that fight obviously makes sense though.

The ending, ok so apparently Liu Kang and Raiden merged save the day ultimately but how Raiden became mortal puzzles me, and did Kronika seemingly erase/reverse everything and everyone except Liu Kang/Raiden? lol seemed that way, I think creating Kronika from a story point was a bad idea honestly so now you have mortal Raiden and God Liu Kang in charge of rewriting history....WTF lol. I would have written it have them fixing the point in time then destroying her machine so nobody can alter time anymore. I do like Geras's character as he's pretty much the Doomsday of MK lol. The way Raiden beat him was hilarious yet smart lol.

At least the realms still exist, that much we know but it doesn't explain what happened to everyone else. We see Kronika reverse everything before Raiden/LK God beat her so yeah. Hopefully we get some explanations from Kittleson and company. I'm just going to consider everything, every timeline in MK canon including this new one lol. I enjoyed most of the story, that ending though just left a weird taste in my mouth. I also don't get the power levels sometimes in MK, Cetrion is apparently a "titan God" above Elder God level" yet, she fears a Demi God in Raiden(a regular God) and Liu Kang(a metahuman) Comics do the same shit, for sake of plot devices, they weaken uber powerful characters sometimes and buff technically weaker characters. OR is the ending with LK and Raiden saying they'll meet again in another timeline, and LK God protector of Earthrealm and Kitana creating a newer timeline the REAL ending? I hope that one is sounds better.

But whatever lol. From feats alone I'd still put Elder Gods above Kronika because, she's just messing with time and needs energy viles, souls and help to do it. It seems thoughout the MK mythos the Elder Gods could do anything except mess with time although they have had times where they can create things or throw things back in time like Quan Chi's MK 9 ending for example

I wonder if MKU will just have an official God, God.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Pretty much because
The Scorpion/Hanzo that died was the one in the future, the one who was already Scorpion then got freed from Quan Chi in MK X, joined and made peace with Sub and the good guys, this Scorpion/Hanzo still has powers as you can tell from the story but apparently was mortal again, personally I felt the way he died was kind of stupid but whatever. At least they made his past self like him and honorable, not just rage. The one with the white eyes, mask is younger Scorpion/Hanzo
Ah okay makes sense, thanks!

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I didn't read any of your posts guys - because I have yet to beat the story, I'm taking my sweet time and don't want to be spoiled - I just wanted to say that I've played the two first chapters (Cassie and Kotal) and I must say I'm amazed. It is SO much better in action, drama, humor and characterization than MKX ever was. Even Baraka, our beloved jobber had a few good lines and kicked some fodder butt in order to look less like a nincompoop.

2 chapters in and I like it three times more than MKX's story. Awesomesauce.

So far I give it a 10/10.

Outworld Slasher

Cannibalistic Humanoid Fleshpit Dweller
Finished this in one go pulling an all-nighter. Took me about five hours.

As a lore fanatic and someone who deeply adores storytelling and film; I absolutely loved this story. It hit me like no other Mortal Kombat or any fighting game for that matter ever has, and I am still baffled and amazed at how far NRS has come since 2011. There are some objective flaws relating to plotholes, but they're very minor and do not affect the greater narrative; Raiden and Liu Kang's overarching story. Since MK9, we've been following this eternal clash between the two, and I couldn't have asked for a better, more fitting conclusion to that arc in concept. The level of emotion, character, tension, and much-needed kicks of nostalgia in this game were amazing, and come the final chapter I was on the edge of my seat and honestly kind of wanted to shed a tear or two.

I could write paragraphs about how fantastic I thought this was, why it's so satisfying, and how poetic it is in the end that Raiden sacrificed his very existence to save Liu Kang after being responsible for his death, who really was, in the end, "He who must win" all along. Saying this about a fighting game story makes me feel kind of silly, but I can't find any other way to describe it; It's just that good. Overall, I'm just so happy with what we got, and find most of the so-called "major" criticisms to be nitpicky and very ignorant (for lack of a better word, not trying to insult anyone.) to who and what the actual focus of the story was, and why certain things needed to happen in order to progress it. Then again, this is a fighting game, and a lot of fighting game fans who don't really give a fuck about the actual plot would probably rather see their favorite character on the screen then go through an exciting, characterized narrative, unfortunately. :confused:

I am so happy with the conclusion to this, that if they wanted to end the Mortal Kombat story here; I'd be satisfied. This is the end all be all, and serves a great ending to the MK9, X, and now 11 trilogy, even stretching to the old timeline since that ties to 9 directly. Seeing Liu Kang finally once again step up to his role as the chosen one and fulfill his destiny was so satisfying after almost 20 years of him being shafted; I know it wasn't, but it almost felt intentional that he'd been put under the bus so many times now, only for his return to be that much greater.

I have some disappointments, sure, but they're not anything that stopped me from enjoying the plot because I realized most were kind of necessary. As much as I wanted to see Dark Raiden, he actually has a very, very big role in this despite not being there physically. His everpresent shadow looms over past Raiden, who feels guilt and distress over what eventually seems to be his destiny in all timelines. Dark Raiden serves as his ultimate fear through the game and serves as much as his motivator as saving the timeline itself. It wouldn't have been fitting to see Dark Raiden in a plot like this, as ultimately this is Light Raiden's story with Liu Kang and the fate of the universe involving their conflict, not his grimmer counterpart. I also, like a lot of people, wanted to see my favorites like Noob Saibot, Frost, and the like get more time to shine, but in a five-hour story mode that has a focus on one a myriad of different arcs, it's understandably very hard to do that. I'm just happy they ended up being included at all, and Noob honestly got the same treatment he did in MK9, which while disappointing doesn't bother me since it serves the purpose of the greater story. I could probably continue with all my counterpoints, such as all the deaths being necessary to further another character (Sonya and Hanzos deaths especially.), and the fact Shao Kahn wasn't the main villain this time, so he was never going to outshine Kronika, but I think I've said enough to show much I enjoyed this.

I give it a very solid 9/10. Despite its flaws, it succeeds as no other NRS story has before it, and really does feel like the "End of an Era" so to speak. It delivers almost everything I wanted in spades, and really made me care again after how much I despised X's weak, and utterly bland plot. I didn't care for characters like Cassie and Jacqui before, but this story made me like them so much better now; Cassie especially, who was really humanized by Sonya's part in the story. Some aspects were weaker than others, but the strongest positives were so strong that they easily outweigh the more prominent, real negatives like Kronika being a bit one-sided and generic, or Cetrion not really serving her full purpose and being a bit of a waste. This is by far the best MK story to a lore fan, and the best NRS story period.

Last edited:

Elias6999

Mournful Master

Wow... stuck up to the point where I can’t even tell if you’re joking... So what if she likes Cassie? You’ve been hung up on universally despised characters since 2006 and have been complaining that they aren’t in the game for god knows how long. Let her have an opinion.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
Finished this in one go pulling an all-nighter. Took me about five hours.

As a lore fanatic and someone who deeply adores storytelling and film; I absolutely loved this story. It hit me like no other Mortal Kombat or any fighting game for that matter ever has, and I am still baffled and amazed at how far NRS has come since 2011. There are some objective flaws relating to plotholes, but they're very minor and do not affect the greater narrative; Raiden and Liu Kang's overarching story. Since MK9, we've been following this eternal clash between the two, and I couldn't have asked for a better, more fitting conclusion to that arc in concept. The level of emotion, character, tension, and much-needed kicks of nostalgia in this game were amazing, and come to the final chapter I was of the edge of my seat and honestly kind of wanted to shed a tear or two.

I could write paragraphs about how fantastic I thought this was, why it's so satisfying, and how poetic it is in the end that Raiden sacrificed his very existence to save Liu Kang after being responsible for his death, who really was, in the end, "He who must win" all along. Saying this about a fighting game story makes me feel kind of silly, but I can't find any other way to describe it; It's just that good. Overall, I'm just so happy with what we got, and find most of the so-called "major" criticisms to be nitpicky and very ignorant (for lack of a better word, not trying to insult anyone.) to who and what the actual focus of the story was, and why certain things needed to happen in order to progress it. Then again, this is a fighting game, and a lot of fighting game fans who don't really give a fuck about the actual plot would probably rather see their favorite character on the screen then go through an exciting, characterized narrative, unfortunately. :confused:

I am so happy with the conclusion to this, that if they wanted to end the Mortal Kombat story here; I'd be satisfied. This is the end all be all, and serves a great ending to the MK9, X, and now 11 trilogy, even stretching to the old timeline since that ties to 9 directly. Seeing Liu Kang finally once again step up to his role as the chosen one and fulfill his destiny was so satisfying after almost 20 years of him being shafted; I know it wasn't, but it almost felt intentional that he'd been put under the bus so many times now, only for his return to be that much greater.

I have some disappointments, sure, but they're not anything that stopped me from enjoying the plot because I realized most were kind of necessary. As much as I wanted to see Dark Raiden, he actually has a very, very big role in this despite not being there physically. His everpresent shadow looms over past Raiden, who feels guilt and distress over what eventually seems to be his destiny in all timelines. Dark Raiden serves as his ultimate fear through the game and serves as much as his motivator as saving the timeline itself. It wouldn't have been fitting to see Dark Raiden in a plot like this, as ultimately this is Light Raiden's story with Liu Kang and the fate of the universe involving their conflict, not his grimmer counterpart. I also, like a lot of people, wanted to see my favorites like Noob Saibot, Frost, and the like get more time to shine, but in a five-hour story mode that has a focus on one a myriad of different arcs, it's understandably very hard to do that. I'm just happy they ended up being included at all, and Noob honestly got the same treatment he did in MK9, which while disappointing doesn't bother me since it serves the purpose of the greater story. I could probably continue with all my counterpoints, such as all the deaths being necessary to further another character (Sonya and Hanzos deaths especially.), and the fact Shao Kahn wasn't the main villain this time, so he was never going to outshine Kronika, but I think I've said enough to show much I enjoyed this.

I give it a very solid 9/10. Despite its flaws, it succeeds as no other NRS story has before it, and really does feel like the "End of an Era" so to speak. It delivers almost everything I wanted in spades, and really made me care again after how much I despised X's weak, and utterly bland plot. I didn't care for characters like Cassie and Jacqui before, but this story made me like them so much better now; Cassie especially, who was really humanized by Sonya's part in the story. Some aspects were weaker than others, but the strongest positives were so strong that they easily outweigh the more prominent, real negatives like Kronika being a bit one-sided and generic, or Cetrion not really serving her full purpose and being a bit of a waste. This is by far the best MK story to a lore fan, and the best NRS story period.
I loved everything about the story, even the Sonya Geras fight, which made sense since after she distracted him Cassie hit him with the crane thing. And the part where Kitana FINALLY becomes empress of Outworld. Glorious.