What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I haven't touched the game yet but I feel like Explosive Corpse Drop and Corpse Drop were just too good in comparison to his other abilities. When I was labbing customs it just seemed like it was Corpse Explosion or GTFO, so I'm glad that they addressed it. But I was that guy who played Spellmaster so maybe I'm just a corpse drop hater

Ermac /reptile slide/ smoke parry/ is the ultimate combo. Why ? Because you get soul steal and corpse drop back and you cover the whole field meta. Boss buff lol

Last edited:
I'd rather give up Slide or Parry than Superkick. Kick makes f2 xx superkick an approach option vs random jumping, and s3 xx superkick for semi-safe fishing (and I tended to use close-range b1 xx superkick as well, but many people can d1 you after, which is now scarier), and lets you get some heavier combos off than just Lift by itself.

Slide gives an extra KB and a risky mixup. Neat, but kick gives you more opportunities at converting random hits into combos, and has its cancel mixups.

Parry is great, and you can parry between the 1st ducked shot and the 2nd amped shot of... Baraka, D'vorah, Frost, Jade, Jax, Johnny, Kitana, Raiden, Shang, Sonya, Spawn, Terminator. But now you could also just drop a corpse on them in a zoning fight.

Of course, Kick is unsafe on block vs some people, most notably Liu Kang... But it still grew on me.

Last edited:
Kick is -9 right? It's out of range or some jabs so that's good. Do you get punished from blocked Kicks much?
I tested who can proper punish it, which can be seen in the Shang Data Sheet: https://testyourmight.com/threads/shang-data-sheet.73494/ (not updated for Ultimate). Basically, a handful of people, but with main-stays like Liu and Scorp naturally being among them, so I just don't use stuff like f2 xx superkick vs them.

Superkick blocked distance depends on which string leads into it, with s3 giving you the best results (but requiring considering spacing). But as everyone can flawless block the kick on reaction (it's so slow, delay does nothing), it's not something to throw out every time, just enough to keep them on their toes (and occasionally cancel).

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
I truly believe that ground eruption literally has no place on his move list anymore.
I've been running lift, explosive corpse drop, and slide with another variation replacing slide with Shake if I feel I'm getting zoned out.
I just feel like he has so many other moves that make him more viable if the skulls did more damaged maybe I could see their use but right now they're just a lacklustre zoning tool that is easily punished

Last edited:

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Can't wait for the weekend. Going to try and run Shang with Shake, Superkick, and Lift. Hurts to give up the slide, but I think kick cancels into throw or a poke net more damage overall than the slide KB.

Imagine being able to use three of the best moves Shang has AND still being able to corpse drop and soul steal. Incredible. I think a project for over the holiday for me will be to lab which characters have the easiest KBs to trigger after a swap.

Vile Sorcery cannot hit people on the ground, but it can hit meaty after many knockdowns. It doesn't last long, but that's extra dmg on anything you do get in.

I really want to use the stupid Soul Well, because it has a much more concrete presence than 'you glow purple now', but they couldn't have made it any slower. Such a suicide move.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Vile Sorcery cannot hit people on the ground, but it can hit meaty after many knockdowns. It doesn't last long, but that's extra dmg on anything you do get in.

I really want to use the stupid Soul Well, because it has a much more concrete presence than 'you glow purple now', but they couldn't have made it any slower. Such a suicide move.
I honestly wish that it would have worked like Kotal's Health totem

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Vile Sorcery seems like it's pretty easy to get out in Neutral and on knockdown. I'm not super experienced with Shang but using this with Crashing Flames actually seems pretty strong if you're building a more defensive loadout.

Screaming Soul Cancel is actually noteworthy, now that it can go with Lift. 320-330 unbreakable midscreen (from s4 cancel s3u2 lift dash d2), but... it has to come from not-max-range s4. (you could use b2, but it is just much more awkward)

More stuff works in the corner. Cancelling out of f24 is -7, so you could just auto-input the cancel - on block just go defensive, on hit go into 3u2. Cancelling 3u2 leaves you -8 on block a safe distance away, on hit you're close enough to go into 114.

The defensive bar returns at an accelerated pace, so after a corner f24 cancel 3u2 lift d2 (to keep it unbreakable) it has already come halfway back. This seems really good, with the caveat that you lose your quick fireball pressure, and midscreen it really only works if you were already jailing into s4 all the time.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think Screaming Soul is just a good move that gets a bad rep because people got used to the better variations that had fireball, but it does have a lot of competition from other good kustom moves.

Also, F24~SS, B11 is totally doable midscreen. It's tight but if I can get it like 60% of the time in practice and land it sometimes online then I think that good players will be able to land it consistently if they give it the time.