What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

I mean I get that he goes into recovery, but I think he should be able to block the whole animation. The advantage that opponent gets because of the morph back animation is enough of a penalty.

Right now it’s almost like atom’s trait but the morph itself isn’t as advantageous as shrinking and Shang can’t morph back sooner, in a more appropriate moment, and to lessen the recovery

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
I mean I get that he goes into recovery, but I think he should be able to block the whole animation. The advantage that opponent gets because of the morph back animation is enough of a penalty.

Right now it’s almost like atom’s trait but the morph itself isn’t as advantageous as shrinking and Shang can’t morph back sooner, in a more appropriate moment, and to lessen the recovery
Maybe they could change it for the amp version at least. The recovery of that move is what is holding me back using it more often

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Has anyone had luck with getting stuff for Shang? I have like no gear, brutalities, intros/outros, taunts, or skins for him. I haven't found anything for him in the krypt and there's no spike to put his head on.

I'll do his character towers when I get around to it but what I really want is the "your soul is mine" outro and it doesn't seem like you can really get things in the krypt for DLC so far.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Has anyone had luck with getting stuff for Shang? I have like no gear, brutalities, intros/outros, taunts, or skins for him. I haven't found anything for him in the krypt and there's no spike to put his head on.

I'll do his character towers when I get around to it but what I really want is the "your soul is mine" outro and it doesn't seem like you can really get things in the krypt for DLC so far.
From what I've heard on reddit and a bit here on TYM, most of Shang's stuff (or ate last a lot of it) seems to come from his character towers. Definitely go for those.

Yes! All of his stuff is in towers, there are like couple of items that are given randomly as achievements.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist

Everything I have came from his character towers and that limited time tower that was out when he was released. I'm keeping a sharp eye out for the store as well, I've kept my crystals ready for a reason after all, but I've found nothing so far.

Yes! All of his stuff is in towers, there are like couple of items that are given randomly as achievements.
Really? What achievements?

Everything I have came from his character towers and that limited time tower that was out when he was released. I'm keeping a sharp eye out for the store as well, I've kept my crystals ready for a reason after all, but I've found nothing so far.

Really? What achievements?
I have gotten the background to the Kombat card, and Shang’s young face there - both show ?????? In the section which says what you get it for. And there are some gear pieces and skins that have ????? In that section.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I have gotten the background to the Kombat card, and Shang’s young face there - both show ?????? In the section which says what you get it for. And there are some gear pieces and skins that have ????? In that section.
Oh, I thought you meant brutality and skins. Anyway those '???' skins are obtained by winning the race against time as far as I've read.

I know it's been thrown around here and there, but how safe is his soul steal really?

Like at Max distance who can punish it fatals included?

Also, at 112 block range who can punish it?

I feel like I'm just getting away with murder using it and would prefer spreading information about punishing it so I can stop abusing it as a crutch.

And sorry my lab time had been super limited lately is the reason I'm not able to make the list myself.

Out of curiosity, can you flawless block while morphing? Would be a clutch bait and super hype. Also can you throw escape?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
PC has a Shang Tsung tower with brutality right now. Not sure about PS4 but since Shang's stuff is rare to come by it's worth a check.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Really been loving Shang, definitely the Zoner I've been looking for however his soul steal morphing seems like the risk reward is off, I've eaten upwards of 70% because of the garunteed combos your opponent gets on knock down, really wish they made it so you could morph back in the air or on the ground or even just let you block during the animation.

They definitely need to fix the loss animations with soul steal as well, having to wait for Shang to switch back just to fall over is so silly.

Last edited:
For those who experiment with kustom moves, Forse Lift's KB requirement (for opponent to press block right after they get hit) is actually practical for Shang. If you are playing against someone good, they will definitely try to Flawless Block the f24()2, so after conditioning them with f242 you can do f24xxForce Lift. It is death on block but if they try to Flawless Block the timing is just right for them to press block right after the Lift hits. And you get the KB and a combo after.

Anyone have extensive practice against Liu kang, jaqui, or yaas queen mind giving me a break down of the match up?

Or if anyone plays these characters too want to play some?

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
I know it's been thrown around here and there, but how safe is his soul steal really?

I feel like I'm just getting away with murder using it and would prefer spreading information about punishing it so I can stop abusing it as a crutch.

And sorry my lab time had been super limited lately is the reason I'm not able to make the list myself.
Ive never got punished after soul steal, the recovery animation is really quick. Even up close

SHAOLIN

内部冲突

So, the lab work for punishing the 112 Soul Steal frame trap produce some strange results.

So I you Scorpion's teleport as a baseline for the punishes and its Start-Up frames is 23. With each char, I use forward advancing special or normal that fell under that number and got the punish. Everything was checking out fine until. . . I came across Kabal.

Kabal's Nomad Dash can't punish the frame trap. Nomad Dash startup frame is 20, so what gives? On top of that his FB can punish the frame trap without using the gap in between 112 Soul Steal frame trap

I'm lost lol

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Idk about brutalities but you can get all of his intros/outros doing his character towers, that's how I got them.

As for skins I am not sure, you get some from his character towers and I think there are some in AI battles as well.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
So, the lab work for punishing the 112xxSoul Steal produce some strange results.

So I you Scorpion's teleport as a baseline for the punishes and its Start-Up frames is 23. With each char, I use forward advancing special or normal that fell under that number and got the punish. Everything was checking out fine until. . . I came across Kabal.

Kabal's Nomad Dash can't punish the frame trap. Nomad Dash startup frame is 20, so what gives? On top of that his FB can punish the frame trap without using the gap in between 112 xx Soul Steal.

I'm lost lol
112 is plus on block so many the stun is effecting it?
I thiNK Jacqui, Jax, Shao, Kotal, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Cassie, Kano, Erron, can all punish Soulsteal on block. It souls be -25

So, the lab work for punishing the 112xxSoul Steal produce some strange results.

Kabal's Nomad Dash can't punish the frame trap. Nomad Dash startup frame is 20, so what gives? On top of that his FB can punish the frame trap without using the gap in between 112 xx Soul Steal.

I'm lost lol
You aren’t taking the travel time of the Nomad Dash into account! The start up is 20 frames all right but it takes more than 5 frames for him to get to Shang from the distance where he blocks the Soul Steal after 112.
And just to be clear, it is incorrect to write 112xxSoul Steal, since 112 isn’t special cancelable

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
You aren’t taking the travel time of the Nomad Dash into account! The start up is 20 frames all right but it takes more than 5 frames for him to get to Shang from the distance where he blocks the Soul Steal after 112.
Ah! Travel time.

Ok, cool. Just to make sure; the reason why his fatal blow works even though it's one frame slower is because the travel time is much quicker than his regular normal Dash, right?

And to take it a step further is because the other specials I use to punish the frame trap has a faster travel time then 5 frames.

The char's special or normal I use was Rayden's Superman, Liu Kang's Flying Kick, Frost's F2 and of course Scorpion's Teleport.

The other chars I used to test this but failed to punish the frame trap was Baraka, Noob Saibot and of course Kabal.