What's new

MK11 Roster - 29 Characters Confirmed

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Some people are so easily fooled. Ed makes an obvious trolly comment and people immediately believe him. I'll bet you anything the roster size will be larger than 25.

I mean the leaked character select screen showed 34 spots. That number only makes sense with secret characters. 25 default + 3 secret + 6 DLC = 34.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'm really disappointed in Kabal. I love the character, and his appeal has never been his story. But in MK11 it's sounding like he's the henchman of a henchman, even going as far as to say how loyal he is in his bio. That's way too bitchmade for someone like Kabal

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I'm really disappointed in Kabal. I love the character, and his appeal has never been his story. But in MK11 it's sounding like he's the henchman of a henchman, even going as far as to say how loyal he is in his bio. That's way too bitchmade for someone like Kabal
I'm not gonna criticize prematurely, but I will say that I think it's odd that "Avarice" was the best word they had to describe him.

This guy used hookswords while committing crimes, OK? No one who uses hookswords on human beings is a nice person. This guy was a fucking psycho. Make his word "Cruelty." Make him a ruthless monster. In MK9 he became a cop, that doesn't mean he became a goody-two shoes. Maybe all he did was change who he was being a monster to -- criminals instead of good guys.

Anyway, that's the direction I would have taken him, which would have had the coincidental bonus of fitting well with his role as a Revenant now.

But we'll see, maybe I'll be very pleasantly surprised by what NRS does!

Or you want it to be a trolly comment. But it being 25 is a possibility.
And it's the stronger one, since Derek (who isn't a trollmaster) also mentioned '25' in an interview over a month ago. Not to mention it's weird that the leaked roster image doesn't have acronyms like JOH and KIT for any secret characters (which wouldn't be hidden in a leaked shot of a developer's screen).

Of course secret characters can still be a thing, but 3 or even 4? It smacks of wishful thinking. I can see there being one, maybe two (and I'd put money on Shang because the SHA on the leak could be about him). Either way, I've dropped the notion of '29 characters confirmed' until we see something that supports that conclusion; it does seem too good to be true.

Last edited:

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Or you want it to be a trolly comment. But it being 25 is a possibility.
Pretty sure there's a leaked roster image with the placeholders? And the amount of slots shown on their official website?

There's more to it than me wanting it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Pretty sure there's a leaked roster image with the placeholders? And the amount of slots shown on their official website?

There's more to it than me wanting it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Yeah but nobody mentions how odd it is that SHI, MIL and a 2nd SHA aren't on there? It's entirely possible the 9 mystery slots are all DLC-related. The leaked image might be showing an early stage of development where DLC release structure wasn't settled -- maybe they were originally going to do 9 characters like Injustice 2, or maybe 1 is for Shao Kahn and the other 8 were for two Kombat Packs of four fighters each like MKX. Or maybe the slots were placeholders for characters that were in consideration but ended up getting cut.

As for the site, the gradually fading slots (26-29) suggest 'more fighters coming down the line,' and I hear Injustice 2 did the same thing and mislead everyone.

Last edited:
I've checked and rechecked, and I'm still counting 28 characters with pre-order DLC.
Check the site again. There are 29 slots, the last one is really faded at the end.
What makes me curious is that if you hover over the squares not yet revealed, the padlock kind of expands forward (as though to indicate hovering over the character images like the the revealed ones). This happens for all but two of them (and the last 29th one exhibits this behaviour too). I wonder if the last slot at the end will fill with the DLC character to be announced tomorrow at C2E2? Then the rest of the slots are the leaked characters + 2 hidden unlockables (more likely to be Shang and Mileena than Shinnok)?

Kratilim

Noob
I think @Lord Greyjoy is right on the nose. To me the fading slots indeed tell me that there's more on the way, not necessarily in the game. Also, the fact that the leaked roster had none of the "secret" characters on it points in that direction.

Plus, lets entertain the idea that Shang Tsung is in the game and the leaked roster image is 100% legit. How would you distinct between SHAo Kahn and SHAng Tsung with only three letters? Quick answer is, you can't. The fact that they didn't is to me, more proof that Shang (and thereby also Mileena) is actually NOT in the game and that there's not 28/29 but 25 characters.

To me, believing that there are 28 or 29 characters in the game at launch is setting yourself up for disappointment. And in doing so, ppl will get angry and lash out at NRS after the game has launched for no other reason than they set themselves up for that disappointment. NRS doesn't deserve that as at no point have they even entertained the idea of more than 25 characters. And sure they might be doing it on purpose to hide secret characters, but that to me is indeed wishful thinking as Lord Greyjoy already stated.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
A little more on the characters, a long post, so be ready to read lol https://www.eneba.com/blog/mortal-kombat-11-characters-featured-already-revealed/
There us only 22 characters on that roster including Shao Khan. So 21 since Shao Khan is extra.

That leaves 4+ 12 DLC Noob, Mileena, Frost, Jax. As the 4 and I'm not sure who the 12 DLC are but we know from previous games half will be returning characters and the other guests.
I'm thinking there may be a few Unlockables. I would no doubt love to have other characters, favorites of mine but I'm sticking with classic fan favorites that no doubt will make the cut. I'd honestly put others in Noob/Frost's place since they are not classics but we have already seen them either from a full render leak or in the MK11 storys 1st chapter. Not to say I don't love Noob Saibot and I'm so hyped for him and Frost seems like a very cool addition.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
But he looks so cool in this one. And since he is a revenant he kinda is a puppet.

I'm not gonna criticize prematurely, but I will say that I think it's odd that "Avarice" was the best word they had to describe him.

This guy used hookswords while committing crimes, OK? No one who uses hookswords on human beings is a nice person. This guy was a fucking psycho. Make his word "Cruelty." Make him a ruthless monster. In MK9 he became a cop, that doesn't mean he became a goody-two shoes. Maybe all he did was change who he was being a monster to -- criminals instead of good guys.

Anyway, that's the direction I would have taken him, which would have had the coincidental bonus of fitting well with his role as a Revenant now.

But we'll see, maybe I'll be very pleasantly surprised by what NRS does!
I don't think they would need to change his story to fit with revenant status I mean he's under control so naturally he isn't himself.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
At least it should be like that. Well, we still don't have anyone else that's fitting the guy on the Konquer icon as Kotal occured to be totally different.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
At least it should be like that. Well, we still don't have anyone else that's fitting the guy on the Konquer icon as Kotal occured to be totally different.
TWIST ENDING: What if the guy on the Konquer icon is Shujinko?

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Plus, lets entertain the idea that Shang Tsung is in the game and the leaked roster image is 100% legit. How would you distinct between SHAo Kahn and SHAng Tsung with only three letters? Quick answer is, you can't. The fact that they didn't is to me, more proof that Shang (and thereby also Mileena) is actually NOT in the game and that there's not 28/29 but 25 characters.
Nothing wrong with using "SHA" for one and "SHG" or "SHK" for the other. Especially in light of Shao Kahn being a DLC character, who for the purposes of that particular roster mock-up might not have been on the roster.

I can see why you think this adds to the possibility of Shang not being in the game, but it's extremely far from conclusive.

To me, believing that there are 28 or 29 characters in the game at launch is setting yourself up for disappointment. And in doing so, ppl will get angry and lash out at NRS after the game has launched for no other reason than they set themselves up for that disappointment. NRS doesn't deserve that as at no point have they even entertained the idea of more than 25 characters.
Hard disagree. They deliberately kept the roster under wraps for as long as humanly possible, even the amount of characters on the roster was unconfirmed until a MONTH before release. We know that there will be hidden characters but we still don't know whether that means some of the 25 will be hidden until you unlock them via story/Krypt, or if the hidden characters are on top of the 25.

And then they release a marketing page that shows 29 boxes? Oof. Big oof.

If NRS gets any blockback from this, they'll be 100% responsible for doing it to themselves.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I think we'll have our answer on whether or not there are 3 secret characters tomorrow, if the DLC character gets revealed and placed on that character list, I think 3 secret characters becomes less likely. (but there are 29 spots so its still entirely possible, we just won't know till next month.)

I think we'll have our answer on whether or not there are 3 secret characters tomorrow, if the DLC character gets revealed and placed on that character list, I think 3 secret characters becomes less likely. (but there are 29 spots so its still entirely possible, we just won't know till next month.)
This and the fact that the 29 doesn't even add up with DLC. Let's say we will have a base roster of 25 and DLCs are shown on the website - which is either 31 (25+6 DLC) or just the first dose of characters which is 28 (25+first half of the DLC pack). With the addition of the 3-4 unlockables it would make 29 that is also how it is on their site. If Shao Kahn counts in the base 25 then its 4 secret chars, if hes not, then 25+Shao+3 secret ones making up the 29 altogether + DLC

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
So if the base roster is confirmed 25 without counting Shao Kahn, how many slots do we have left?

The website shows 15, then we have to add Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Kitana, Noob, Cetrion, The Kollector and Frost. Unless I forgot someone and not counting the recent Jax leak, we have 3 more slots remaining. Not that many honestly.