What's new

MK11 Meta Hopes

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
They toned it down a lot for I2 so I'm hoping they do the same again

Unfortunately it's just the Meta in all FGs now, they want people to see all their combos not just blocking and throws.

There is tons of combinations to make them fair

-Reactable
-Fuzzyable
-non launch
-not first hit (for pushblock purpose)
-Meter intensive
-low Dmg

But Jesus there was meterless un reactable 50/50s that did huge Dmg, that was plus on block to be looped back into itself lol

Last edited:
I think we all know throw/block is a mix-up but generally throw/block is not as bad as early-MKX overhead/low. People need to understand that in throw/block, the reward is not as crazy as early Cassie, Raiden, Alien, Erron,... overhead/low. All of them did insane damage to plus knockdown and could be made safe with a bar. Throw/block has higher risk for a whiff throw and people can also tech a throw without the need of meter like using breaker. In early MKX, Erron and Alien even had 33/33/33 with ovh/low/throw that had insane damage with low risk.

I totally agree with KingHippo’s opinion about the meta evolves when time goes by, but I couldn’t see MKX meta would have evolved for the better if ovh/low mix and armor launcher hadn’t been nerfed. Erron, Alien and other 50/50 chars would have stayed dominant because of high reward low risk mix up, and we could have never seen Displaced Raiden, Kenshi or Mileena

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
but I couldn’t see MKX meta would have evolved for the better if ovh/low mix and armor launcher hadn’t been nerfed
You won't get an argument from me that MKX is a bit of a mess. I never really liked the game, but I do think toning down a large majority of armored launchers was a good idea. I have never been a fan of the way NRS likes to do armor moves, where they don't have a counter beyond getting blocked and punished, and I think that affected MKX the worst. Most other games that have armor tend to give them a vulnerability to something, typically a throw, but c'est la vie I guess, that's definitely never going to change lol.

trufenix

bye felicia
Alll those old school meta vibes are rose tint man. Those games were balanced by community hype and player durability, not brilliant design. I mean, Cyrax? Human Smoke? Kabal? These are character experiences you want to live through again?!

Zoning and spamming aren't synonymous my guy.
Lexicon of fighting game euphemisms (to ensure pussy-willow gamers' egoes remain intact):
"Zoning" = PROJECTILE SPAMMING
"Meta" = THROW LOOPS / TICK THROWING / 50-50 GUESSING GAMES
"Chip out" = CHEESE WIN ("C" = "CHEESE")
"Damage scaling" = LAZY GAME BALANCING
"Guts" = FAKE HYPE
"Lenient inputs" = CASUAL COSSETING
"BnB" = FLOWCHART REPETITION
"Git gud" = "I DO NOT HAVE A COUNTER-ARGUMENT, NOR ANYTHING SUBSTANTIVE TO CONTRIBUTE, BUT I MUST HAVE THE LAST WORD"

...Et cœtera.

grogchugger

99 percent sodium free!
Lexicon of fighting game euphemisms (to ensure pussy-willow gamers' egoes remain intact):
"Guts" = FAKE HYPE
"Git gud" = "I DO NOT HAVE A COUNTER-ARGUMENT, NOR ANYTHING SUBSTANTIVE TO CONTRIBUTE, BUT I MUST HAVE THE LAST WORD"

...Et cœtera.
git gud lol

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I’ve been thinking about fighters lately and why I don’t really like the new ones. Not just NRS games, but every new fighting game. Sure, games like DBFZ and SC6 have been incredibly fun and I even really liked Injustice 2 and MKX. However, I lose interest once the very early stages of the meta is developed. And there’s a common thread with all these games. The meta, whether it’s heavily influenced or just regularly influenced, has some degree of reliance on 50/50’s to open people up.

Coming from UMK3 where there’s almost none of this, and really loving the meta of MK9 where there wasn’t THAT many 50/50’s, I think the abundance of guessing in this manner is what kills my passion for these games. Now there has always been guessing and will always be guessing in fighters. But I’m not talking about just in general “guessing”, that would be ridiculous. I’m talking about specifically the game being designed to open up the opponent for you by forcing them to guess the oh/low/throw/etc on practically every single engagement. I miss footsies being a main factor, spacing being a huge part of the meta. I miss pressure alone forcing your opponent to make mistakes which in turn opens them up.

Anyway, I know a lot of people will disagree, but this is just something I’ve been thinking about. To clarify, I’m not saying these new fighters don’t take skill, not at all. I just don’t like the meta that has been consistent across all these games. That’s all, and I really hope MK11’s meta is different. I’m almost sure it won’t be, but a man can dream.
I agree with this.

Tbh, I prefer MK9's meta more than MKX. I like MKX, but MK9 imo had more characters that didn't always have to play 50/50s, rushdown or anything like that. They just had really good buttons & generally a strong neutral plus good damage/corner carry. MKX made me go from 1 character to the next because of how offensive heavy it is & I honestly hated that. 9 I had a main then a utility to get past the toughest match ups. I think everyone should have that 1 main that they specialize in. Variations were cool too, but then you had characters who were only good in 1 variation & not all. 2 at the most. I also felt like I was repeating the same combos in MKX too.

If the MK11 played more like 9 plus new mechanics, & the run mechanic (which imo was a big part of the rushdown & moving in aspect of X), then I would love it. All games in general are having you abuse 50/50s. MK9 was just awkwardly balanced. So if that plus what I mentioned, I'd be all in. But we'll see!!! I just want more versatility in styles of play.

Last edited:

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
"Guts" = FAKE HYPE

...Et cœtera.
Idk if you're trolling or just extremely scrubby, but in either case why are you even on a competitive site if you're gonna chat shit?

AbeW

Noob
I agree with this.

Tbh, I prefer MK9's meta more than MKX. I like MKX, but MK9 imo had more characters that didn't always have to play 50/50s, rushdown or anything like that. They just had really good buttons & generally a strong neutral plus good damage/corner carry. MKX made me go from 1 character to the next because of how offensive heavy it is & I honestly hated that. 9 I had a main then a utility to get past the toughest match ups. I think everyone should have that 1 main that they specialize in. Variations were cool too, but then you had characters who were only good in 1 variation & not all. 2 at the most. I also felt like I was repeating the same combos in MKX too.

If the MK11 played more like 9 plus new mechanics, & the run mechanic (which imo was a big part of the rushdown & moving in aspect of X), then I would love it. All games in general are having you abuse 50/50s. MK9 was just awkwardly balanced. So if that plus what I mentioned, I'd be all in. But we'll see!!! I just want more versatility in styles of play.
MKX was the most balanced MK so far when you consider the variations, making every character viable. Atleast one variation of a character, no matter how mid or low tier the character is, could go up head to toe against any top tier character. The fast paced run ins, 50/50s etc played a big part in this balancing act.

MK9 was an imbalanced abomination (Sonya, Kabal, etc....fkin hell). Injustice 2 is an imbalanced abomination in this regard too. Yes, i play Grodd and Swamp thing.

If a FG can't balance its roster, it is its biggest downfall. Why put the work into designing some characters no one will play because the roster is so imbalanced.....

Last edited:
Defence, defence... DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFENCE!

If a fighting game has a weak defensive system, it will always boil down to which characters have the best, most reliable or hardest to escape 50-50's, and how easily the now genre infamous "death corners" can be abused (i.e., in 2-D fighters). SFV suffers from this problem, and it renders the game a yawn fest (...compounded by the many 'crutch' mechanics and overall casual nature of the game, suffice to say).

Soul Calibur VI, although a 3-D fighter, is a good case in point for what NOT to do, with respect to said aspect of fighting games: A series that was lauded for and, indeed, built upon its robust defensive ("guard impact") mechanics, took to watering it down in what's generally considered the worst SC game, 'V', and then proceeded to not fix it in 'VI' (only dumb it down, perhaps making it even worse), leaving the game all but dead a month after release and little more than a casuals' spam and mash fiesta for those who persist with it.

Anyone who has ever learnt martial arts in real life, knows that defence is the first form of offence, and it is this aspect of combat that is first taught to would-be practitioners. After all, if one cannot avoid an attack landing on oneself, all the fancy kicks and flips in the world mean nada... when you're already in a coma!

Also, for those who blow the predictable "it's a video game, not real life" rusty trombone -- fighting games are fantastical representations of real world marital arts and, as such, must adhere to certain principles of said real world combat. Up still has to be up, and down must be down--if a game is to avoid descend into the realm of the absurd and losing all connection to its source material.

Without a robust defensive system, a fighting game's longevity lies -- as the OP put it -- right up until the "meta" is revealed; then... Fin.
very well said.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So it seems MK11 is more along the lines of the hopes I wanted for the meta than not. OBVIOUSLY it’s early but you can tell the emphasis they put on spacing, footsies, etc. Definitely not exactly what I wanted, still invincible wakeups that are safe with some characters, but damn, I’m very happy with what I’m seeing!

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
So it seems MK11 is more along the lines of the hopes I wanted for the meta than not. OBVIOUSLY it’s early but you can tell the emphasis they put on spacing, footsies, etc. Definitely not exactly what I wanted, still invincible wakeups that are safe with some characters, but damn, I’m very happy with what I’m seeing!
Love it!!!