What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

stokedAF

casual kahnage
This is just me, but in MKX he was just a dirtbag.

Here in MK11 he seems like a dirtbag who is also a fuckboy who sleeps with every girl, never calls them back, and is always the baddest mother fucker in the room.

If he was just a disgusting guy, he'd just seem like a henchman.

In MK11 he's a sexy nasty disrespectful beefcake bad boy and he's just a fucking boss. Guys want to be him and girls want to be with him. Perfect mix of sexy af, dangerous af, and cool af.

Im sure @Tertian would agree lol.
Lol That’s what I like about characters like him and Erron Black. They are henchmen sure but only in terms of their own cooperation. They are just regular human dudes rising in the ranks of Outworld where characters have extraordinary abilities. That’s because He will toss Molotov’s and acid on people lol. It’s dirty joker style, the lowest of the low scumbag shit.

I like that he sells guns but doesn’t use them aside from a minigun here or there lol. He’d rather gut somebody, that’s kano to me and I think they nailed it aside from my few small gripes. People sleep on kano’s character but he’s a boss, I agree. He even got his own stage this time which is awesome, nothing fits Kano more than an underground fight club. The story trailer music went good with that stage too I liked it.

Your post suggesting that he’s a whiff punish character was interesting btw. I think I’m going to focus more on defense this time around, it’s always my weak point. Naturally I just like to attack, attack attack so maybe I need a character that is designed to chill out.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm curious about Kano's Superman laser moves lol. That one where he brings you in and the one where he just shoots shot after shot looks like fun. Those replace the knives right?

Per IMDB, Kano is rumored to be voiced by Nolan North who is from Connecticut. I remember during his reveal people were saying his accent sounded funny and kind of Scottish. It's weird that NRS doesn't get Australians to voice Kano, since an American voice actor played him in MKX. Nolan North is a great voice actor (he played the lead of Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series), but I've heard that the Australian accent is tough to do. It'd suck for the Australian players if they had to listen to a crappy Aussie accent every time Kano is in the game. I don't know enough about accents to tell if it's off or not.

MKF30

Per IMDB, Kano is rumored to be voiced by Nolan North who is from Connecticut. I remember during his reveal people were saying his accent sounded funny and kind of Scottish. It's weird that NRS doesn't get Australians to voice Kano, since an American voice actor played him in MKX. Nolan North is a great voice actor (he played the lead of Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series), but I've heard that the Australian accent is tough to do. It'd suck for the Australian players if they had to listen to a crappy Aussie accent every time Kano is in the game. I don't know enough about accents to tell if it's off or not.
I think Jason Statham would be a perfect Kano lol

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower

I can all but guarantee that Kano is being voiced by JB Blanc. He has a shitload of voice acting credits, but some noteworthy voices he's done:

Dojima from Persona 4
El Fuerte from Street Fighter 4
Slayer from Guilty Gear Xrd: SIGN
Caustic from Apex Legends
The Narrator from Dragon's Crown

Ghost of The Moon

One with the air.
I think he looks lame in this game. I thought he was lame in MKX as well.

He peaked in MK9 (to me), and he was junk in the other games too.

I've always liked his character, I'm speaking in terms of a mixture between his visuals and play-style.

Then again, I think this whole game looks like shit so far. I'm still buying though.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I've made two discoveries from this video, one bad and one good:

The good news:

1. @4:27 you could see that Kano cancels Vege-Mighty (buff) into Dragon Ball...! This means he could cancel it into other specials from the ground too! I checked just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and even on the movelist it shows to have cancel-advantage even though it doesn't have an amplification, this means this is confirmed!

I bet this means you could sneak in a buff between your combos if you want to, which is awesome and adds a little execution flair!

It might even buy enough time so you could make ANYTHING into a command grab tick-throw on block because it'd take up the duration of the opponent's blockstun!!!!!! AHHHH!!!! THIS WOULD BE HUGE!!!! TALK ABOUT A GREAT COMBINATION!!!

SUPER HYPE about this!

The bad news:

2. B2 (knife launcher normal) is punishable...
@6:50 Geras punishes it with his 11 string (it displays "Punish" under his name).

Almost ALL of Kano's advancing tools and mixup tools are punishable.
He has no real mid, low, or overhead strings (just highs).
Kano is the ONLY character shown off so far with no real string starting with either a low or mid.

The only mid he could use at mid-range that isn't punishable is his B3 kick(not a string).

Played badly, he will be pretty damn risky (and just plain bad).

I could completely see why they made him this way though because they want him to be more of a whiff punisher like I mentioned in my previous post. He does have mixups to complement his whiff punishing, but you have to take a risk if you want to do them.

I think it's actually awesome how dangerous his moves are.
Played safely and efficiently, I trust that NRS has made him a serious threat, but it's clear he's one of the harder characters to pick up at this point.
I wonder if he can MKX it to continue a string connector and end in Kano Ball (or ender). That would be overly amazing, because he'd be able to stagger into mixups too. Solid hit confirming window too, but will take practice to perfect in the heat of battle. Sounds like the stuff dreams are made of.

Only high strings, not even a mid string is, unusual. Getting the impression he plays more of a tank, and then a cannon, so starting to see what 16 Bit meant when referencing his playstyle. If you compare it to a lot of the other characters poke/string tools, Kano looks like he'll have to take a much bigger risk in the neutral setting up his game. He has all the tools for it, but I am definitely getting a high risk high reward vibe.

Full screen I don't really see him getting zoned out though. He has slow walk speed, but has advancing low profiling (which it seems most people don't have), solid counter zoning slots, buff into armored Kano Ball, etc. He for sure won't be a Day 1 easy wins character that's for sure.

I'm curious about Kano's Superman laser moves lol. That one where he brings you in and the one where he just shoots shot after shot looks like fun. Those replace the knives right?
Yea they do. They're faster, and can't be amplified. I'm curious to see where it hits. On the visuals it looked like a mid, but not sure since it wasn't blocked or ducked.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think he looks lame in this game. I thought he was lame in MKX as well.

He peaked in MK9 (to me), and he was junk in the other games too.

I've always liked his character, I'm speaking in terms of a mixture between his visuals and play-style.

Then again, I think this whole game looks like shit so far. I'm still buying though.
Boon appreciates your donation.

MKF30

MK 11 "looks like shit"? lmao. I think someone is confusing MK with SF :D. MK 11 looks sweet af.

But anyway back to Kano lol, I like how he has a different beard in every game.

villainous monk

MK 11 "looks like shit"? lmao. I think someone is confusing MK with SF :D. MK 11 looks sweet af.

I've heard people complain about the beard. He supposed to be a evil douchebag who pisses, swears, spits & is a general asshole.

Since when did some like that needs a perfect beard to complement it?

I like the beard it fits him to a T!

He looks like he'll fit right in in red dead redemption 2.

MKF30

I've heard people complain about the beard. He supposed to be a evil douchebag who pisses, swears, spits & is a general asshole.

Since when did some like that needs a perfect beard to complement it?

I like the beard it fits him to a T!

He looks like he'll fit right in in red dead redemption 2.
His beards imo always make him look kind of like a scumbag honestly. Who wears mutton chop beard? lol And the MK X one reminded me of a pirate like Thug kind of. RDR2 speaking of that game people say they think Black reminds them of someone in that game, but wasn't Erron Black out before Red Dead came out?

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
His beards imo always make him look kind of like a scumbag honestly. Who wears mutton chop beard? lol And the MK X one reminded me of a pirate like Thug kind of. RDR2 speaking of that game people say they think Black reminds them of someone in that game, but wasn't Erron Black out before Red Dead came out?
Na there were two Red Dead games before EB.

villainous monk

I shaved my mutton chops just 2 weeks ago accidentally. I'm a truck driver. I'm big. Black and yeah I wore it because hardly anyone else did.

Plus it fits my sleep apnea mask better.

Just giving the really real.

Ghost of The Moon

One with the air.

No confusion here. I haven't seen Street Fighter on a screen since the 90's.

MKF30

You're entitled to your opinion though I would say given the current look of FG, MK is actually top graphically easily. SF/Capcom I should say, like most japanese fighters have taken the 3D cell shade route with anime faces that look alike. But hey to each his own.

I shaved my mutton chops just 2 weeks ago accidentally. I'm a truck driver. I'm big. Black and yeah I wore it because hardly anyone else did.

Plus it fits my sleep apnea mask better.

Just giving the really real.
I had them too, no worries hope I didn't come off as "anyone who has mutton chops is a dick" lol. It was a big 70's look. I just think Kano always has these sleazy looking beards it fits his character. I'm sure you're a cool nice guy. Is it true though about truck drivers, that you guys have potty mouth? lol

Last edited:

Ghost of The Moon

One with the air.
You're entitled to your opinion though I would say given the current look of FG, MK is actually top graphically easily. SF/Capcom I should say, like most japanese fighters have taken the 3D cell shade route with anime faces that look alike. But hey to each his own.

I had them too, no worries hope I didn't come off as "anyone who has mutton chops is a dick" lol. It was a big 70's look. I just think Kano always has these sleazy looking beards it fits his character. I'm sure you're a cool nice guy. Is it true though about truck drivers, that you guys have potty mouth? lol
I meant the general game play actually. The graphics and other visuals do indeed look great (to me). It just doesn't look that good. I haven't played; so, my viewpoint is hollow right now.

MKF30

Thought you meant just graphically, but gameplay wise it looks like a solid game but we have to all get our hands on it. From what people who have played it say, it feels very zoney and if you liked mk2 or mk9 you'll probably enjoy it. I loved MK 9 so I'm looking forward to it. Wasn't too fond of MK X, I like to get some space you know? Do you just follow MK or Injustice? SC, DOA, Tekken or Smash?

Ghost of The Moon

One with the air.
Thought you meant just graphically, but gameplay wise it looks like a solid game but we have to all get our hands on it. From what people who have played it say, it feels very zoney and if you liked mk2 or mk9 you'll probably enjoy it. I loved MK 9 so I'm looking forward to it. Wasn't too fond of MK X, I like to get some space you know? Do you just follow MK or Injustice? SC, DOA, Tekken or Smash?
I liked MK2 and MK9. MK2, I was young; MK9, I was "older." So this may affect how or why I liked the games. I don't mind zoning or any kind of game play as long as it's entertaining! I just feel the way I do based off what I've watched, of course, playing the game is a different point of view.

MKF30

I liked MK2 and MK9. MK2, I was young; MK9, I was "older." So this may affect how or why I liked the games. I don't mind zoning or any kind of game play as long as it's entertaining! I just feel the way I do based off what I've watched, of course, playing the game is a different point of view.
Yeah I hear ya. I'm just happy the run is gone, that was a big turnoff for me in MK X. Yeah, been playing MK since the first way back(I'm old :( lol

Ghost of The Moon

One with the air.
Yeah I hear ya. I'm just happy the run is gone, that was a big turnoff for me in MK X. Yeah, been playing MK since the first way back(I'm old :( lol
I liked dash in MK9, I liked run in MKX. :D

I'm old too now. My first game was Mortal Kombat 1 when I was six (I'm 34). My brother's friend brought it over for Genesis and they were sleeping. I turned it on and picked Sonya (without even thinking, I just know I picked her and my brain didn't do any of the scanning). I pressed "C" the whole time and got to Goro. Couldn't beat Goro!! That was the first time I played, and I still remember it!!

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I've made two discoveries from this video, one bad and one good:

The good news:

1. @4:27 you could see that Kano cancels Vege-Mighty (buff) into Dragon Ball...! This means he could cancel it into other specials from the ground too! I checked just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and even on the movelist it shows to have cancel-advantage even though it doesn't have an amplification, this means this is confirmed!

I bet this means you could sneak in a buff between your combos if you want to, which is awesome and adds a little execution flair!

It might even buy enough time so you could make ANYTHING into a command grab tick-throw on block because it'd take up the duration of the opponent's blockstun!!!!!! AHHHH!!!! THIS WOULD BE HUGE!!!! TALK ABOUT A GREAT COMBINATION!!!

SUPER HYPE about this!

The bad news:

2. B2 (knife launcher normal) is punishable...
@6:50 Geras punishes it with his 11 string (it displays "Punish" under his name).

Almost ALL of Kano's advancing tools and mixup tools are punishable.
He has no real mid, low, or overhead strings (just highs).
Kano is the ONLY character shown off so far with no real string starting with either a low or mid.

The only mid he could use at mid-range that isn't punishable is his B3 kick(not a string).

Played badly, he will be pretty damn risky (and just plain bad).

I could completely see why they made him this way though because they want him to be more of a whiff punisher like I mentioned in my previous post. He does have mixups to complement his whiff punishing, but you have to take a risk if you want to do them.

I think it's actually awesome how dangerous his moves are.
Played safely and efficiently, I trust that NRS has made him a serious threat, but it's clear he's one of the harder characters to pick up at this point.
Steve himself said that Kano is high risk high reward character and very unsafe to play.