What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Theorizing here but a slot with the trap and the extra extensions on the normals loadout seems to have the best synergy imo

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I've been on a crazy Kano-video study cram session today.

Most won't read this, but if you want to see an obsessed dude's observations, read away:

--------

The one thing that immediately sticks out is how dangerous it is to throw out anything against him from mid range.

-On reaction he could roll under a projectile that has bad startup.

-He could whiff punish projectiles with bad recovery with Dragon Ball (which is lightning fast and a MID) if he ducks it from a certain distance. It could also be given armor with Vege-Might (variation special).

-He could Air Dragon Ball (also fast) to punish jumped projectiles on reaction.

-He also has amazing whiff punishes with his B2 launcher and B3.

-If you want to equip it, he has his Bio-Pull which has an insane startup for how far it reaches, standing resets on hit, and combos on amplify (wow).

I wouldn't say he has the best footsies out of all the character's shown because he doesn't have very far reaching crouching pokes and his options from mid-range leave him either punishable or barely safe in the opponent's face (so your turn is over and they could do what they want against you).

Instead though, I'd say he's a godlike whiff punisher who completely shits on common projectile zoning, if played at a high level. He's definitely not a character that someone could just pick up and play, which I kind of love.

While the kast described him as more of a yolo close-ranged mixup monster, I honestly don't think that'll be his biggest strength because it's a risky game he'd be playing. Judging by his moveset, he really doesn't have to take many risks from what I could see.

He has all this and I haven't even began to scratch the surface on what he could do with his fire and poison setup shenanigans. I did find that the Chem Toss is -22 on block and Molotov is like 78frame startup though (ouch... setup definitely needed).

My only real wishlist thing for him would be if his 22 (leads into 223 overhead ender) and his F12B2 (spit, headbutt string. very + on knockdown) are either super safe or advantage on block.

I don't know if I'm going crazy with bias because I love Kano's personality/look in this game, but I seriously can't believe how perfect playstyle-wise he is for me. I'll be maining him and Geras 1000%.

NRS is knocking it out of the fucking park for me lately.

TLDR: Kano seems good, but he's definitely not MK9/MKX zoner Kano.

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I’m interested to see the frame data on that Magnetic Pull special. I’m wondering how plus it is as a combo enter. It also looked like it might make an amazing anti-air.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I've been on a crazy Kano-video study cram session today.

Most won't read this, but if you want to see an obsessed dude's observations, read away:

--------

The one thing that immediately sticks out is how dangerous it is to throw out anything against him from mid range.

-On reaction he could roll under a projectile that has bad startup.

-He could whiff punish projectiles with bad recovery with Dragon Ball (which is lightning fast and a MID) if he ducks it from a certain distance. It could also be given armor with Vege-Might (variation special).

-He could Air Dragon Ball (also fast) to punish jumped projectiles on reaction.

-He also has amazing whiff punishes with his B2 launcher and B3.

-If you want to equip it, he has his Bio-Pull which has an insane startup for how far it reaches, standing resets on hit, and combos on amplify (wow).

I wouldn't say he has the best footsies out of all the character's shown because he doesn't have very far reaching crouching pokes and his options from far leave him either punishable or barely safe in the opponent's face (so your turn is over and they could do what they want against you).

Instead though, I'd say he's a godlike whiff punisher who completely shits on common projectile zoning, if played at a high level. He's definitely not a character that someone could just pick up and play, which I kind of love.

While the kast described him as more of a yolo close-ranged mixup monster, I honestly don't think that'll be his biggest strength because it's a risky game he'd be playing. Judging by his moveset, he really doesn't have to take many risks from what I could see.

He has all this and I haven't even began to scratch the surface on what he could do with his fire and poison setup shenanigans. I did find that the Chem Toss is -22 on block and Molotov is like 78frame startup though (ouch... setup definitely needed).

My only real wishlist thing for him would be if his 22 (leads into 223 overhead ender) and his F12B2 (spit, headbutt string. very + on knockdown) are either super safe or advantage on block.

I don't know if I'm going crazy with bias because I love Kano's personality/look in this game, but I seriously can't believe how perfect playstyle-wise he is for me. I'll be maining him and Geras 1000%.

NRS is knocking it out of the fucking park for me lately.

TLDR: Kano seems good, but he's definitely not MK9/MKX zoner Kano.

That's his low takedown followup where he steps on you. They showed in the kast. It's the one they demonstrated opposite of his overhead flip kick. Even though it looks like a special move, it's just F2.

Yea, if I'm not mistaken, most characters have 2 intros to equip so far.
Good assessment. I got shades of whiff punisher/mix pressure/anti-zoner from his breakdown. Whiff punisher because of his normals and some of the moves. Mix pressure because of the strings and normals + command grab. Anti-zoner for roll unders, armored Kano Ball, etc.

His offense appears like it's heavily favored compared to most characters revealed because he has many amplified launchers not including KB, normal launcher, pseudo 50/50 inside strings, command grab, some of the best corner carry we've seen. His special moves set seems like it is diverse enough to handle any type of MU too. I agree he doesn't look easy to pick up though which is always a good thing in my book.

I’m interested to see the frame data on that Magnetic Pull special. I’m wondering how plus it is as a combo enter. It also looked like it might make an amazing anti-air.
On this move, it looks like the amplified version is a combo extender? If that's the case the possibilities of Kano's offense are something I won't even wanna discuss until after launch! It doesn't restand though. Here at 7:33 looks like a follow up can occur but he was too slow. At 8:00 it connects but doesn't restand.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Lumber Check (command grab)
Bio-Magnetic Pull
Vege-Might (Ball Armor Buff) or Optic Blast

Just off theory crafting before finding any setups, I think this is what I'd personally like to go for.

I suspect Optic Blast to be a mid projectile, so I'd consider switching that out for Vege-Might in some
matchups.

-------------------------------------------------------

Bio-Mehanical Pull definitely combos btw.

In that same video, @16:24 he amplifies the pull and has enough time to take two steps forward and combo his standing 1 string. It looks like a good amount of time to combo together even his slower moves.

@7:57 he does the regular unamplified version and I can't tell how + he is. It's either super safe or slight advantage though.

If it IS slight advantage, that would be pretty nice for a character with a command grab option.

Last edited:

Killusion

Stream addict
Some thoughts about his currently known custom moves:

The ones I'm really interested in:

Bio-Pull - Solid way end combos or extend them. On paper this move seems just really good. Wouldn't throw it out in neutral though.

Extra string thingy - Obviously very solid choice. Who wouldn't want extra damage and combo opportunities without really changing your game plan?

Vege-Might - This is a cool power-up. The effect is not super dramatic like the Cutthroat one, just really neat and useful. I like how activating this at the "wrong time" is not so big of a deal.

Not sure:

Chemical Burn - In theory this is interesting way to end your strings. The little back-step could make this much safer than it seems, but must be tested of course. Could this work as an anti-air?

Lumbar Check - Yeah it's command grab, always a good damage combo ender if nothing else. Its usefulness depends how good command grabs end up being in this game I think.

Molotov Toss - This move is really interesting. It puts huge pressure on the opponent and forces them to move. It forces opponent to do something which makes it better than Bio Trap IMO. Startup seems bad, first need to figure out how to use this effectively.

Snake Bite - Probably always a good combo extender if nothing else. I guess this allows you to extend combos from situations where Bio-Pull would not?

Not really interested:

Bio Trap - The startup seemed too long. Probably more designed to support his zoning game with knives than to be mix-up pressure tool.

Eye Beam - Might be good, just not really interested zoning with Kano this time around.

Rack Off Parry - Parries are only good if they give you a huuuuuge reward for landing them IMO. The damage didn't seem that good so I'm not a fan of this.

At this point 100% maining Kano unless Kollector is somehow ultra cool. :D

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I think Lumbar Check is a mid command grab. Geras' and Baraka's grabs were both highs but the inputs for them are BF, while Kano's is DBF. I think they're going to set them apart that way.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
thought Kano look very impressive and awesome in the cast. Not a fan of the pissing on the ground. Probably the worst intro revealed so far. My understanding is that intros and outtros can be customized? So with luck we can remove that.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Chemical Burn - In theory this is interesting way to end your strings. The little back-step could make this much safer than it seems, but must be tested of course. Could this work as an anti-air?
I never considered that it could possibly poison as an anti air. If it does, this move became way better than I thought.

I think Lumbar Check is a mid command grab. Geras' and Baraka's grabs were both highs but the inputs for them are BF, while Kano's is DBF. I think they're going to set them apart that way.
This makes sense!!!

If that's the case then his command grab game will be amazing!

Could you imagine putting down the disable-jump trap then going in for command grabs that can't be ducked? That'd be some dirty fighting for sure, damn lol.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Lumbar check is a low, its the one tyler kept doing...he said low

Also he is very dumb looking & super ugly, mostly because in the tshirt skin he looks way too much like me...& ive seen videos where one of his variations is named after my dog...so I'm clearly being stalked by NRS again...f them & f Kano. . I'll prob play him alot.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Lumbar check is a low, its the one tyler kept doing...he said low

Also he is very dumb looking & super ugly, mostly because in the tshirt skin he looks way too much like me...& ive seen videos where one of his variations is named after my dog...so I'm clearly being stalked by NRS again...f them & f Kano. . I'll prob play him alot.
Lumbar Check is the command grab where he throws you onto his knees. Could be amplified.

Takedown is the low. It's just F2. It's a command normal. The followup is F2UD4 (where he steps on you). The string can't be amplified at any time.

Last edited:

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Lumbar Check is the command grab where he throws you onto his knees. Could be amplified.

Takedown is the low. It's just F2. It's a command normal. The followup is F2UD4 (where he steps on you). The string can't be amplified at any time.
hmm must of heard them wrong when they were talking about it, thought they were making a big deal about it because it was a low...still looks cool & seems good either way...thx

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Kinda long but I could go longer considering me & Kano go back since 92.

My lore minute... Knife toss animation is a throw back to 92. Plus his jump animation looks similar to his mk3 njp & njk animation.

I finally watched the kast and I have to say he's everything I hoped for and more. I do have some issuses but they are minor.

I'm glad he's still has some of his footsies tools rather then the typical to zoner tools and build I was afraid of him having.

His moves seems borrowed from other previous charaters. Even in other games. Bryan Kano is his name lol. Even though they seem too work well for him in this game. Even added with his base moves.

The fact that he has a forward roll and slow overhead is a vast improvement from mkxl. Sadly no air throw though. Also where's up ball? I guess it would be too powerful in this game but he does kind of need a stable AA other than b2 or b3.

His command grabs look dope. Lumbard check is so bane like but I don't care. It looks like it hurts. Like I want to try it in real life.

Both his low options and high options for cmd grabs are a bonus. The low cmd grab looks fast and low profile as hell. Which speaks volumes for his lack luster but satisfying cmd's in mkxl.

Also for the first time commando players... These grabs can be used in combos with what we see as pure ease. If Tyler can do it. You can too. Which means tick throws and wiffing issuses are GONE!!!! Also no more awkward inputs twisting fingers during combos. That's goes out for my stick and hitbox people's out here.

His normals are sweet. All of them seem to give him great mobility in the neutral but leave him unsafe to your always on the move checking & wiff punishing constantly. This should be very familiar to previous players who also fished out baits and counters with Kano since we had no real mix ups. If it's true most of his KB's are situational, off wiffs, for counters and punishes then this Kano WILL be respected in the neutral let alone when the opponents wants a turn. He dangerous folks.
Does he still rule the air though?

His new moves seem very interesting too. Molotov toss seems kinda slow on startup but it looks like it will have it's uses. So does his magnet toss. His buff, spit, acid spray and lighter toss looks so cool. He looks like he'll be a mixup monster with those tools. The Corner boys have returned.

I'm very excited and can't wait to play as him.

Pissing all over the competition in MK11.

kantboy-2

Ripper
If he gets the MKX and Kold War skins, I'm not learning another character.

Does he have a choke move in this version?

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I like it a lot. I have to get used to the voice actor but it’s not bad, just different. I agree with people that his hair looks a little too “groomed”. I said Kano should be extra bastard and he is so I’m happy. Pissing in intros and spitting on people. That elbow drop and the head butt fatality are cool too.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I like it a lot. I have to get used to the voice actor but it’s not bad, just different. I agree with people that his hair looks a little too “groomed”. I said Kano should be extra bastard and he is so I’m happy. Pissing in intros and spitting on people. That elbow drop and the head butt fatality are cool too.
This is just me, but in MKX he was just a dirtbag.

Here in MK11 he seems like a dirtbag who is also a fuckboy who sleeps with every girl, never calls them back, and is always the baddest mother fucker in the room.

If he was just a disgusting guy, he'd just seem like a henchman.

In MK11 he's a sexy nasty disrespectful beefcake bad boy and he's just a fucking boss. Guys want to be him and girls want to be with him. Perfect mix of sexy af, dangerous af, and cool af.

Im sure @Tertian would agree lol.

villainous monk

Where did you find this?

villainous monk

@3:33 in this video

Pretty good vid. Lots of mkx in there.
B1 looks so good to hit confirm from.
I'm right about Molotov toss though. It needs faster start up.

Seriously though.... Where's up ball? I don't want to be the first guy or that guy but... Yeah. Where's up ball? It can't be that much of a issuse to not have it. Otherwise those with better jump in's and air moves/specials are going to make Kano very stationary in whatever position or situation he's in.

Nice gameplay though. I love Garas too. He looks so swollen man. MK's version of Luke Cage.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I've made two discoveries from this video, one bad and one good:

The good news:

1. @4:27 you could see that Kano cancels Vege-Mighty (buff) into Dragon Ball...! This means he could cancel it into other specials from the ground too! I checked just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and even on the movelist it shows to have cancel-advantage even though it doesn't have an amplification, this means this is confirmed!

I bet this means you could sneak in a buff between your combos if you want to, which is awesome and adds a little execution flair!

It might even buy enough time so you could make ANYTHING into a command grab tick-throw on block because it'd take up the duration of the opponent's blockstun!!!!!! AHHHH!!!! THIS WOULD BE HUGE!!!! TALK ABOUT A GREAT COMBINATION!!!

SUPER HYPE about this!

The bad news:

2. B2 (knife launcher normal) is punishable...
@6:50 Geras punishes it with his 11 string (it displays "Punish" under his name).

Almost ALL of Kano's advancing tools and mixup tools are punishable.
He has no real mid, low, or overhead strings (just highs).
Kano is the ONLY character shown off so far with no real string starting with either a low or mid.

The only mid he could use at mid-range that isn't punishable is his B3 kick(not a string).

Played badly, he will be pretty damn risky (and just plain bad).

I could completely see why they made him this way though because they want him to be more of a whiff punisher like I mentioned in my previous post. He does have mixups to complement his whiff punishing, but you have to take a risk if you want to do them.

I think it's actually awesome how dangerous his moves are.
Played safely and efficiently, I trust that NRS has made him a serious threat, but it's clear he's one of the harder characters to pick up at this point.

Last edited:

villainous monk

I've made two discoveries from this video, one bad and one good:

The good news:

1. @4:27 you could see that Kano cancels Vege-Might into Dragon Ball...! This means he could cancel it into other specials from the ground too! I checked just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and even on the movelist it shows to have cancel-advantage even though it doesn't have an amplification, this means this is confirmed!

I bet things means you could sneak in a buff between your combos if you want to, which is awesome and adds a little execution flair! SUPER HYPE about this.

The bad news:

2. B2 (knife launcher normal) is punishable...
@6:50 Geras punishes it with his 11 string. It displays "Punish" under his name.

A LARGE majority of Kano's stuff is punishable lol. Played badly, he will be pretty damn risky.

I could completely see why though because they want him to be more of a whiff punisher like I mentioned in my previous post. I think it's actually kind of cool how dangerous his moves are.

B1 is his retreating knife mid attack. It's cancellable, but I don't think it's confirmable on reaction with anything because it doesn't have a followup.

Hopefully he still has a decent way to anti-air without UpBall. Maybe regular Dragon Ball?

And I agree when it comes to Geras. He's the only other character I'm really hype for, easily.
This vid had both my mains fighting each other. Perfect lol.
Yeah I figured he would have his buff back like in CT Kano. His magnetic pull looks super good too and I assume would work with the buff too.

I thought Tyler hit confirmed off of b1 with a 22 string. My mistake. I'm going to be using that has my neutral check though. It's definitely not safe by the looks of it. I'm thinking low cmd grab or pokes might work. Kinda wondering why everything for his normals looks so unsafe and others kinda have some sort of advantage either on block or in range.