What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

Murderation76

knife boi
So guys I’m playing some Kano and knife game is prob the best it’s been. The move has 3-4 more frames of startup but is also +oB from 3/4 screen. Were in the black dragon business now. Knife will setup everything no worries
So what's the word that pop-up after airball hits an airborne opponent? Can you combo off it? Have you found anything interesting with the F2 cancel window like you were thinking?

Sup everyone. OG MK9 Kano player here and just wanted to drop in and say hi! I'm glad to see this thread is one of the better ones on TYM. Once I get this game I'm Tuesday I'll be labbing it up hardcore and I'll post my findings on here! Great stuff so far in this thread!
What's good bro. Welcome to the thread of scumbaggery.

Speaking of release day, I'll be getting the game digitally here in AZ at 9pm Monday night. I'll be labbing Kano through the night and dump stuff on here as I go. Yo @Circus, should we start a "Kano tech" thread for each variation? Or just keep this thread rolling and dump everything here?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Speaking of release day, I'll be getting the game digitally here in AZ at 9pm Monday night. I'll be labbing Kano through the night and dump stuff on here as I go. Yo @Circus, should we start a "Kano tech" thread for each variation? Or just keep this thread rolling and dump everything here?
Hmm, I don't know. Most of the things we find will be general to Kano as a whole, but separate threads for variations does sound nice so we could find stuff easier.

I'm ok either way tbh.

EDIT:

Maybe a "Variation Specific Tech" thread?? That way it could be for all the specifics for variations and we post broad Kano stuff here?

Murderation76

knife boi
Hmm, I don't know. Most of the things we find will be general to Kano as a whole, but separate threads for variations does sound nice so we could find stuff easier.

I'm ok either way tbh.

EDIT:

Maybe a "Variation Specific Tech" thread?? That way it could be for all the specifics for variations and we post broad Kano stuff here?
Alright cool. I say just keep it simple and keep and dump everything here.

I'm hearing on twitter that Lumbar check is a high. As long as it nabs people duck-blocking I'll be able to work with it, but fuck it's disappointing... I'm hearing Geras and Kollector are the only ones with mid command grabs on their competitive variations.

Coach Steve got the game and tweeted out he dropped Kano after one hour, lmao.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Alright cool. I say just keep it simple and keep and dump everything here.

I'm hearing on twitter that Lumbar check is a high. As long as it nabs people duck-blocking I'll be able to work with it, but fuck it's disappointing... I'm hearing Geras and Kollector are the only ones with mid command grabs on their competitive variations.

Coach Steve got the game and tweeted out he dropped Kano after one hour, lmao.
Are you sure Geras and Kollector have mid command grabs? They must have changed it, that's crazy. I remember seeing footage from the reveal event where someone neutral ducked his Tackle.

I kind of suspected Kano's grab was going to be a High. Honestly it doesn't matter TOO much. The 11xxLumbar or 112 and 24xxLumbar 241+3 game still works practically the same.

Last edited:

Murderation76

knife boi
Are you sure Geras and Kollector have mid command grabs? They must have changed it, that's crazy. I remember seeing footage from the reveal event where someone neutral ducked his Tackle.
Am I sure? Nah, this is second-hand stuff from twitter. It is Biohazard though. I've been watching his and Coach Steve's twitter for Kano info. Here's a quote from Bio:

"Just like in Injustice, not all grapplers have mid command grabs, you should play the one's with mid CGs if that's what your looking for like Geras or Kollector, usually the other fighters have moves to compliment the fact that their command grab is a high"

I had a feeling Chemical Burn + Molotov would actually end up being something like that! What exactly are the properties of the explosion?
The explosion is unblockable, it has a good pushback, good hit advantage, it does not restand on juggling combos and to trigger the explosion the opponent has to either be affected by the molotov while being under the DoT effect of Chemical Burn or either standing in the molotov and be hit by the chemical burn on hit or on block (EDIT : I was wrong here). This look super good.

24.... tick throws lol.
This means you could mixup between 241+3 that is +1 on block and launches for full combo on hit or go for 24xxLumberCheck.
The issue here is that the opponent has time to poke out between the 24 and the 241+3.
I tested it yesterday and it seems that characters with a 9 frames d1 the 24gap1+3 (I don't how we represent gaps in a string, sorry) have to respect the whole string or it's a full combo punish if Kano has a meter. I tried with Johnny and his 7 frame d1 and it hits Kano. I'll try later if I can find a character with a 8 frame d1 to test if it hits Kano. But I tested it with my second main Sonya, and her 9 frames d1 can't interrupt the string, however, she has a 7 frames parry, so she can take advantage of the gap.

I'll test more things with that 24xxCommand grab when I'll be in the lab

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
So what's the word that pop-up after airball hits an airborne opponent? Can you combo off it? Have you found anything interesting with the F2 cancel window like you were thinking?

What's good bro. Welcome to the thread of scumbaggery.

I haven’t tested it but I would say kano ball definitely combos off an airborne knife. I messed with f2 the cancel window is the same on block and hit for some reason. Other than that I’m really enjoying him

Ah okay, opponents can also duck whilst blocking to avoid it, does that make it worse than other characters' command grabs?

If a character has a 8f d1 (I used Cetrion's) and pokes between the gap of the 241+3, it will trade.

I was wrong about the chemical burn triggering on block the explosion if the opponent was standing on a molotov, the chemical has to connect, sorry about that. BUT it has enough frame advantage to allow to combo out of the explosion in the corner.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I haven't looked at Kano or this game a whole as life is happening.
How similar is Kano to MKX Cyber or Commando Kano?

I love Kano's personality, but Cyber Kano in X spoke to me more then any other MK character ever has.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I was wrong about the chemical burn triggering on block the explosion if the opponent was standing on a molotov, the chemical has to connect, sorry about that. BUT it has enough frame advantage to allow to combo out of the explosion in the corner.
Well that's unfortunate.... damn.
In that case it does seem extremely situational unless we think up some crazy setups.

Ugh... my "Is Kano actually good" anxiety is starting to kick in again. I want to hit the lab with him SOOO badly already. Fuck.

The big thing left to be discovered is his midscreen combo damage. After seeing so many other character's tools, I'm starving for some more info.

Does MB(Air)DragonBall allow a follow up combo if it hits opponents in the air? This would be huge.

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Well that's unfortunate.... damn.
In that case it does seem extremely situational unless we think up some crazy setups.

Ugh... my "Is Kano actually good" anxiety is starting to kick in again. I want to hit the lab with him SOOO badly already. Fuck.

The big thing left to be discovered is his midscreen combo damage. After seeing so many other character's tools, I'm starving for some more info.

Does MB(Air)DragonBall allow a follow up combo if it hits opponents in the air? This would be huge.
Kano is very good imo. Knife toss and straight ball feel like S Tier specials. Straight ball is an insanely good anti air and whiff punish as you predicted.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Kano is very good imo. Knife toss and straight ball feel like S Tier specials. Straight ball is an insanely good anti air and whiff punish as you predicted.
Awesome to know that his neutral is at least as good as predicted. Any news on the combo potential mid screen though?

1) If an opponent is in the air, could Kano jump up real fast and Amplify-AIR-BlackDragonBall and follow up with a combo on the ground?? Or is it not possible???

2) If you can, could he do after he pops them up with B2????

3) Does it work in the corner??

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Awesome to know that his neutral is at least as good as predicted. Any news on the combo potential mid screen though?

1) If an opponent is in the air, could Kano jump up real fast and Amplify-AIR-BlackDragonBall and follow up with a combo on the ground?? Or is it not possible???

2) If you can, could he do after he pops them up with B2????

3) Does it work in the corner??
B2 into air ball would work yeah, from max range B3 is a good ender to it. I could not combo off air to air ball though it’s too tight.

Something like b2, 22xxvegemitexxkano ball (amplify) works.

Also 22xxvegemite is safe at -6 and gives you a quick punish on hit

Murderation76

knife boi
Ah okay, opponents can also duck whilst blocking to avoid it, does that make it worse than other characters' command grabs?
Can anybody else confirm this? This isn't how high command grabs normal work in MK. This is a very simple thing to test, just set the dummy to crouch block and try raw lumbar check and also ticking it.

If lumbar check whiffs on crouch blockers that would make 24, D3 and D4 ticks completely useless. If the opponents blocks high-- the low hits and command grab whiffs, if opponent blocks low-- the low is blocked but the command grab would still whiff. The opponent doesn't "need quick reactions" because they should be blocking low against Kano anyways-- all his overheads can be seen.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Thank god, much appreciated bro. You just saved me from having an fucking aneurysm.
No problem brother. But I will give bad news. Air Kano ball has odd properties. If done instant, at a times it won't connect. Kano lands in front of opponent at minus frames. If that won't change, entire ball meta will have to be adjusted

Murderation76

knife boi
No problem brother. But I will give bad news. Air Kano ball has odd properties. If done instant, at a times it won't connect. Kano lands in front of opponent at minus frames. If that won't change, entire ball meta will have to be adjusted
Interesting. The air ball can still be meter burned in these instances you are talking about, no? I noticed that on kombat kast the air ball would land very short of the opponent if done from a low point in the jump arc. It's as if they intend for the ball to be meter-burned everytime it is used.