What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
You know, at a high level I'm stating to think that beating certain characters like Jacqui and Baraka is borderline impossible without an overhead. Nothing works.

What problems are you having with Baraka? I always felt like this was the epitome of a 5-5 MU.

He should have just as much problem hitting you as you have hitting him. His biggest advantage is his damage, but you shouldn’t take huge risks without break away.

Chop Chop on block is a free d4 meaning you get pressure. Gutted on block is huge damage. F3 staggers can be poked, combo’d and parried. At a specific spacing he’ll use highs you can D2 KB. Can be a tough read, but it’s completely possible.

Other than that, it’s a basic Cage game. Reads and throws.

I had zero fun when I used Johnny Cage in Kombat League, stopped... used Jax and had way more fun, if they just patched JC's fucking hitbox issues I would use him again
Jax and JC playstyle is pretty different in mk11.
Maybe that's a fun factor too. :)

Jax can counter random lag mashers pretty well though with his mids while JC needs more work.
Jax himself is strong wifi char while JC probably suffers from any lag with his highs and strict jails.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
That video above is exactly what I consider fake information.

If anybody wants true facts about how the matchup goes, they should watch the actual serious match they had in the tournament, when he vaporized Kombat free.

The single fact that I see Sonic waiting in neutral with Cassie (which has b2), and getting hit with the 18 frame b3 in NEUTRAL without actually PRESSING BUTTONS FOR FREE (which Cassie guaranteed gets on Cage because he can't interrupt her with anything) makes that video a major fail.

It's fake and misleading and it makes people believe Cage is somehow FINE in that matchup and it's exactly the thing that leads to NRS NEVER fixing the whiffing issues or adding viable KBs to the character.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE

That video above is exactly what I consider fake information.

If anybody wants true facts about how the matchup goes, they should watch the actual serious match they had in the tournament, when he vaporized Kombat free.

The single fact that I see Sonic waiting in neutral with Cassie (which has b2), and getting hit with the 18 frame b3 in NEUTRAL without actually PRESSING BUTTONS FOR FREE (which Cassie guaranteed gets on Cage because he can't interrupt her with anything) makes that video a major fail.

It's fake and misleading and it makes people believe Cage is somehow FINE in that matchup and it's exactly the thing that leads to NRS NEVER fixing the whiffing issues or adding viable KBs to the character.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE
Lol. You are really raged.

It is not fake as it shows exactly the hitbox issue and how it was punished properly.

Btw Sonic is alone an epic fail to watch as he can easily win with every character and you believe it is top tier. ;)

Btw my friend decided to rather fight with Jaqui against my fresh Johnny instead of Geras as I could easily outplay him lol.
He does not know the MU and rather counterpick instead of learn.
I guess other people do the same. :)

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
People are fucking jumping constantly online, fucking cant use b3 for shit - damn jumping beans. These guys can get AA'ed 5 times in a row and they still fucking keep jumping. STAHP

Yet Kombat out here getting free b3's lul

Last edited:
Do you guys use D4/D1 into nut punch? I'm having a lot of success with it especially in the corner. It's basically free 30%. I'm surprised Kombat doesn't use it at all.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Do you guys use D4/D1 into nut punch? I'm having a lot of success with it especially in the corner. It's basically free 30%. I'm surprised Kombat doesn't use it at all.
I see the usefulness, but it feels like a 'mileage may vary ' tactic. I personally get blown up whenever I try it.

It works well against people that can't stop pressing, but against good players you'll get cooked for it. You bet your ass I'm throwing it out there at least once a match though, especially in Kombat League lol.

I've seen Kombat do D1 NP from time to time. He got Grr with it a few times at one of the NLBC's iirc.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
He used it at CEO but lost key rounds on it. But yeah, it does pay off against disrespectful opponents

I see the usefulness, but it feels like a 'mileage may vary ' tactic. I personally get blown up whenever I try it.
Nut punch has weird block stun and seems like it’s hard to punish online, as much as I like poke into nutpunch it creates bad habits because you should be getting punished every time, facing someone with a good connection is going to get you blown up.

D

Deleted member 35141

Just wanted to have a final rant:(

Who ever made this character is a asshat so many design flaws in a poke heavy game, getting grabbed out of f3 and f4, losing my turn cause of his moves being high, I have never been uppercutted so damn much.
+3 +6 +5 mean nothing in this game without a 11 frame mid or low.
Inconsistency is the killer here make all the right reads and watch as moves miss over a blocking opponent, moves whiffing on point blank block strings.
Been playing mk since I was a kid sneaking out of bed to play mk1 on the sega, for the first time the fun and joy is not there.
The easy answer is play someone else I could keep playing black and winning but at the cost of fun.
Not to mention the really shit dlc thing their doing for the first time I didn't pre buy the dlc and I'm happy as fuck I didn't.

The best answer I gave is sell the game and got half my money back, later cage mains it was something lol I was gonna say fun but that ain't true.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Just wanted to have a final rant:(

Who ever made this character is a asshat so many design flaws in a poke heavy game, getting grabbed out of f3 and f4, losing my turn cause of his moves being high, I have never been uppercutted so damn much.
+3 +6 +5 mean nothing in this game without a 11 frame mid or low.
Inconsistency is the killer here make all the right reads and watch as moves miss over a blocking opponent, moves whiffing on point blank block strings.
Been playing mk since I was a kid sneaking out of bed to play mk1 on the sega, for the first time the fun and joy is not there.
The easy answer is play someone else I could keep playing black and winning but at the cost of fun.
Not to mention the really shit dlc thing their doing for the first time I didn't pre buy the dlc and I'm happy as fuck I didn't.

The best answer I gave is sell the game and got half my money back, later cage mains it was something lol I was gonna say fun but that ain't true.
You could've waited until the patch.. but to be fair they're probably gonna stall us for another couple months because "let the game breaaaathe!" Sigh.

D

Deleted member 35141

You could've waited until the patch.. but to be fair they're probably gonna stall us for another couple months because "let the game breaaaathe!" Sigh.
Knowing me mk has been one of my favorite franchises of all time I'll probably pick it up cheap one day again maybe a complete edition.
The worst part is my record isn't bad at all its just not fun, played a set last night with a noob player 25-10 and still felt meh.
I'm also worried about my damn blood pressure I haven't raged as much at a game in probably over a decade.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
So, I just discovered a thing. It's not super useful, really and it may already be known but yeah.
s4 is a launcher in the corner that's +2 on block with pushback. Does shockingly good damage, about as much as you'd get for a raw nutpunch combo.
Nice find. That also gives us a nice meterless FBC corner combo for ~30%. Situational, but good in a pinch if you don't have offensive meter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 35141

........no.... if executed correctly they cannot even neutral duck
Lol ok cool already responded to that claim, I don't really care anymore.
Just like his forceballs always work on blocking opponents.........oh wait

Last edited by a moderator: