What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
When forceballs whiff it notifies you that everything else will whiff as well, so no standing 1s into 124 for you ever, and no d1 jails ever.

That means you are washed down to doing just b34s and f44s, on which you will always get thrown or blockstringed and have to guess.

Basically what you're reduced to is literally spamming d4 into f3 throw/string, d4 into nutpunch, and throws, for the entire match.
All this while also blocking perfectly so you don't get 35% Krushing Blowed or 9 frame mid into 30%, from which you literally have no tools or chance to come back from.

Enjoy.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
When forceballs whiff it notifies you that everything else will whiff as well, so no standing 1s into 124 for you ever, and no d1 jails ever.

That means you are washed down to doing just b34s and f44s, on which you will always get thrown or blockstringed and have to guess.

Basically what you're reduced to is literally spamming d4 into f3 throw/string, d4 into nutpunch, and throws, for the entire match.
All this while also blocking perfectly so you don't get 35% Krushing Blowed or 9 frame mid into 30%, from which you literally have no tools or chance to come back from.

Enjoy.
It works until they find out "hey he literally has no way to blow me up for disrespecting outside of d4 and throws". It's so hard to deal with turtling players. I know it's the player that should create whiff punishing opportunities but it's kinda hard when people play very safe.

I played this Liu Kang who just d2/poked me out of f3 staggers, poked me out throws somehow (thanks online) and he just didnt get clipped by f344. This guy was a wall. Very rarely did he commit to f43 unless he was in close proximitry. This guy was also just outplaying me, dude had like a 100-7 score so he was really good, but I'm no scrub who cant adapt lul. It ended up being close rounds in game 2 but holy shit he beat me good.

"hey you can jab combo him if he staggers!" Yeah I can. But he can parry, low fb or even less risky - just d1 me at the end of every stagger to beat every means of full combo punishing (I can still reversal throw). I can get a d1/d4 if he goes for a d1, apply my pressure, maybe throw him, maybe shimmy after hitting him with a d1 and bait f43. But once he gets whiff punished two times he's gonna hunker down and play turtle, walk back and throw fireballs. Or he can block my poke and put me in an immediate string/throw mixup. I know it's all mind games at the end of the day but not having a concrete strike/throw mixup is kind of a big deal imo. I would probably catch on eventually if it was a long set however, I think I just personally struggle against exceptional defense

DeftMonk

Noob

Enjoy.
Your glass is like so empty its sucking air into a void.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lol MD does sound bitter at times but that post is pretty damn spot on IMO. For example WTF are we supposed to do about Cassie? How the fuck does Kombat think that's an even MU? Go ahead and add this to #scrubquotes I don't care, lol.
Just play 10 hours a day and be able to telegraph moves. Throw lotsa forceballs and throw a lot. This is literally what I take from them talking about these MUs.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Bro he makes some points but don’t join in on that level of negativity “we get hit for a combo and then we have no tools to come back” like every character has a plus on block 50/50 vortex that ends in a restand or some shit.
Nah, I'm not joining in on negativity. I'm just saying that Cassie is a bad matchup, as is Cetrion since both are good at keeping out Johnny. Every character's got their bad matchups that we need to work around.

I dont know anybody elses experience with KL , but I live in the UK and all I get is 150 ping every match. If this continues to happen , I think Im done with this season

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
It's so fucking annoying how ground slam catches you on landing frames sending you away again lul. Who needs teleport when you never get close in the first place
You pretty much cant jump it. Low profiles forceballs....She can just spam the shit out of it. It's insane. What character without a teleport can deal with it?

heildan

NANI?!
Nah, I'm not joining in on negativity. I'm just saying that Cassie is a bad matchup, as is Cetrion since both are good at keeping out Johnny. Every character's got their bad matchups that we need to work around.
Not just keeping Johnny out, but we can barely do anything against them and also Jacqui. Like, they don't even need to be oppressive at all, we're using one third of our tools, so the char gets really predictable on what he can do.

Whiffing issues aside.....I'd love to see Cassie get smacked after Evo. It feels like she can do whatever she wants with out any risk. I know some shit is punishable but it feels like 90% of the things online Cassie's do is free AF. No risk, high reward.

bUt hEr FaTaL BlOw iS gArBaGe, aNd HeR pOkEs aRe bAD.....Oh and the whole "she doesn't do any damage" is a fucking bill.

Shit I'm salty today, God Dammit MD you're rubbing off on me XD

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
After being swarmed by Cassies online, today I found out my sparring partner switched to Cassie from Frost (we had pretty even matchups Cage vs Frost it was fun).

So he proceeded to just f4 stagger b2 stagger /ignore my entire character, while complaining that his fatal blow whiffs and the fact cage does 33% while he only does 30% ending in air guns with me fullscreen and losing another 10% in low gunshot chip while I get in.

So my brain just flatlined. Ok fine. Don't fix the hitboxes, and bring all the Cassies. I quit.

Yall keep us updated during KL S2 lol , I just played against 3 Sonya blades and a Reborn Scorpion. All on 150ping and already I want to kill someone

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Well my quest playing Raiden in season 2 is officially over. I cant beat half-decent players without hitconfirmable strings that arent launch punishable

Espio

Kokomo
Lol MD does sound bitter at times but that post is pretty damn spot on IMO. For example WTF are we supposed to do about Cassie? How the fuck does Kombat think that's an even MU? Go ahead and add this to #scrubquotes I don't care, lol.
This mu is gross because all of her tactics work on you while you're pretty limited in yours. She out zones you and beats you up close with superior frames on start up and block advantage. Even implies you check her game in some relevant way and I don't know what that is for Johnny. It reminds me of an old man trying to fight a young man who had his protein shake and avocado toast for breakfast. I've fought Cassie with Jade, Baraka, Erron and others and while they don't beat her the difference is night and day lol. It seems like such an obvious L.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
This mu is gross because all of her tactics work on you while you're pretty limited in yours. She out zones you and beats you up close with superior frames on start up and block advantage. Even implies you check her game in some relevant way and I don't know what that is for Johnny. It reminds me of an old man trying to fight a young man who had his protein shake and avocado toast for breakfast. I've fought Cassie with Jade, Baraka, Erron and others and while they don't beat her the difference is night and day lol. It seems like such an obvious L.
I couldn't beat a single Cassie in KL1 in God Tier, and most beat me in Demi God. I think many of us Johnny players are conservatively marking this as a 4-6 MU, but honestly...I think it's 3-7. One aspect that bothers me most...When you do finally get in, and happen to land a combo, She will ALWAYS have breaker ready. You will never get a combo off. The only way to beat her is to make amazing reads.