What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Wigy

There it is...
Say cheese and throw shades are absolutely pants.

Also the arcing fireballs in this game is also total pants. The straight one is more useful and plus on mb

Stunt double is easily the worse special I've seen in the game yet though. Replaces shadow kick and is unfathomably slow

Wigy

There it is...
I mean the fist bump parry rage cage is fine just stupid every other move is just straight garbage

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Any of you lads know any good streamers/youtubers that are playing Johnny?
I mostly learn from watching the pros play etc.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Didn't they say that they were going to be adding more tournament variations? I could see myself doing alright with Shock Jock, but Showstopper on paper is not doing anything for me. And seeing those GIFs of those moves in action...yikes.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So spend 2 bars for a combo or cut the one bar combo short to get a chance at a b3?
Have any of you guys seen the pro players stream playing liu kang?
How can you come back here after to post cage is fine?

Really, i think we're all logical persons here.

Had the launch day tournament today. Had to switch to kabal to win, the sheer jump in tierlist was clearly visible for everyone there.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
So I'm back on for a bit. I'm getting so much mileage out of Caged Rage. I've been ending almost every block string with it and activating brass knuckles when I can. NO ONE is blocking it. I know it's early in the games life, but damn. I'm getting so much damage without even doing combos. If you can just get to level 2 of Caged Rage, the only real way out is a flawless block.

He's the only character I've touched so far but do other characters have completely useless variations as well? Seems like such a waste. Really digging Shock Jock though.
I don't really know, I've heard a lot of people being angry over Noob's variation, but nothing more.
The only other character I know don't seem to have a variation that actually makes the character weaker than the variationless version.

Didn't they say that they were going to be adding more tournament variations? I could see myself doing alright with Shock Jock, but Showstopper on paper is not doing anything for me. And seeing those GIFs of those moves in action...yikes.
I hope so because even Shock Jolt isn't that great of a variation.

Brass Knuckles is way too long to recover, I haven't found one way to activate it in a safe setup. I tested it with Sub-Zero, there was not even one setup I tried where I could activate Brass Knuckles without being hit by his slide. The recovery is so long, 51 frames ! There is no way to MB it to recover faster like in MKX.
The parry is a decent move, but still a 12 frame start up parry. It can be MB for more damage and a restand, but it is still a 12 frame parry. So you can't parry all gaps and you have to respect them. You can maybe trick the opponent by extending the active frames of the parry but the opponent can just use his low starter or his b4.

And finally Caged Rage, a 29 frames high that turns into a mid on block (I don't really understand how is it useful but why not). It can be interesting, especially the unblockable part. But the move is just bad.
The move is only mid when it is blocked, and since it's 29 frames, you have all the time in the world to counter poke it, or even worse :

And some characters don't even need to d2 KB to deal big damage, Liu Kang can just parry and get a launch with a meter :

Wigy

There it is...
Also to clarify the ending in mb nutpunch thing.

Do your bnb end in np in the corner, the gravity will be heavy as shit and they will stand up immediately. Catches people unaware. This is obviously ghetto day 1 tech.

Landed a lot of free grabs and b3s with it.

D

Deleted member 35141

Havent played a whole lot but it's weird his only overhead is short hop. I don't think I've ever seen a character that has no strings or single buttons with a overhead.
He seems fun but I'll know better when I start playing online

JDM

Noob
I think Cage is quite good tbh. Krushing Blows are trash though. The camera variation is useless. But I think shock jock is a really good character.

JDM

Noob
Why ? I think it doesn't add that much to variationless Johnny
The chip buff is kinda nice. Though I don't use it much. Not saying the variation itself is good, but nutpunch johnny is a pretty solid character. Good buttons, nice walkspeed, good projectile.

I rarely ever use the parry, and I like the Cage Rage though it could just be gimmicky atm.

Disasterpiese

it's not over when you lose, it'over when you quit
Lmaaoo the downplaying here is insane! Guys, watch KillerXinok playing Cage. Maybe you will change your mind.
Its very early in the game for sure. And downplaying.. me? for sure, i just played around 6hours with cage. The lack of getting him going with a fast mid frustrates me. Also the nutpunch is not that plus as in mkx, now your pressure is not guaranteed because of the high starters. If you can give me/us tips or anything its more then welcome

The chip buff is kinda nice. Though I don't use it much. Not saying the variation itself is good, but nutpunch johnny is a pretty solid character. Good buttons, nice walkspeed, good projectile.

I rarely ever use the parry, and I like the Cage Rage though it could just be gimmicky atm.
Yes Johnny is good, but the variations bring nothing of value, and Showstopper makes him weaker than the default loadout.

Lmaaoo the downplaying here is insane! Guys, watch KillerXinok playing Cage. Maybe you will change your mind.
We aren't downplaying, and we don't say that he's bad, we just say that his variations are either harming the character or brings nothing of value. Vanilla Johnny is good.

JDM

Noob
Eh Parry+Cage Rage brings more to the table than quite a few variations in the game. I don't think people realize how trash the variations are right now overall. They clearly rushed the fuck out of them.