What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
It's incredible how Showstopper is bad. Maybe I'm just using it wrong and it's a decent variation, but oh my... What a dumb variation. The Say Cheese special is awful. It connects after a f4 with consistency only in the corner.
And this is supposed to cost two slots ? For a special that replaces an iconic special move that is better in almost every way ?

Throwing Shades is a bad projectile, it can be useful once in a while, if the opponent expects a high forceball or shadow kick, so you can hit them with the mid property of the move but even with that...
I'm pretty sure that if the opponent neutral ducks at a certain distance within the already short distance of the move, it whiffs. I'm not really sure if it was indeed a whiff or if the opponent neutral ducked right at the distance where the shades lost its hitbox (I'll lab this later and tell you later, because I don't want to share wrong infos), but in both cases it's unbelievable to have a projectile that sucks so much. And it is supposed to cost one ability slot ? But why in the hell would you pick this over the command grab (1 slot) or even or even the good ol' low forceball (1 slot too)
And if the move was safe on block or had a good recovery, yeah why not but here... Who made this variation ? Seriously ? 30 minutes of testing would have been enough to realize it sucked.

I really hope I'm 100% wrong and the variation is in fact decent... But I played the variation in both training and in real games and oh boy I hated it. Variationless Johnny is a better character, and I'm not even kidding.
I thought "say cheese" was additional to nutpunch and the purpose of the variation was to have longer combos where the first part was grounded.
If it replaces nutpunch and does the work worse...yeah, looking bad.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Played johnny. Glasses move is the most atrocious and pointless move in the world. Useless. Period.

The high low forceballs are so BAD i can only remember this:

The recovery is SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER GOOD, they're HELLA HELLA HELLA good fullscreen.
They are the most USELESS move in the entire world. One SINGLE step from fullscreen and they completely whiff. They're -22 on block. You have to be a vegetable state gorilla to actually consider this move above excrement.

The only good special is the rising shoulder, which is not official LOL.

After trying out JAX and LIU KANG, Cage is actually a JOKE, the kind DAN was on street fighter at the beginning.

Nice balancing NRS, and nice selling lemons on the kombat cast.

Camera only use is having bigger damage, but it only works from the f344 and 244 strings, to have f344 camera b2 f3 121 shadow kick for big damage. Decent, but not worth 2 slots by far.

Nut punch +5 on HIT.
Since I don't have any guaranteed mids after I hit a nut punch I have to guess ON MY OWN hit if they poke or not.
Have you even SEEN skarlet's restand and it's frame data? Are the teams that do these characters in different buildings?

Let's talk a bit about the krushing blows.

First hit of the match for the parry? Really? What happened to the "saving your KB" mindgame and all the meta?
After two extended parries? REALLY? when everyone has a low combo starter who with half a brain would actually get hit by an extended parry? Or two to actually get the KB requirement. It's EXTENDED parry. This means they have to see you do it, wait for you to amplify it, and then, after this HOUR of watching you, NOT do a low full combo. AH, hahahahahaha.
And then guess what, they have to fall for a third so you can get the KB. No absolutely not comment.

And on nut punch, KB AFTER spending a BAR? Really ? Who did you have designing this, interns?
Did they know about the rest of the characters and the usefulness of their KBs that actually BROUGHT something extra to the character?

I can't believe what i'm playing, it's insane.

Did you know that amplified nut punch doesn't come out on block? Even if it has block advantage and block damage listed?
What happened to spending a bar to be safe?

Did you know the b34u3+4 string doesn't come out on block on the 3+4 part? Even though it has block advantage and damage listed?

Also, can anyone explain why speed dialing 121 as fast as possible is not special cancelable? If i do 12 and then 1 and the special later it works, if I slide my fingers on 121 it becomes non special cancelable. What's up with that?

If you needed a clown character you could've picked someone else.
Or maybe it was roulette a design day in the hq and everyone rolled the dice on the random uselessness that could be added to this character.

Last edited:

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Looks like Showstopper didn't make the cut. His second version is Ladies Man, which has the Low & High Forceball, plus his Rising Uppercut

Looks like Showstopper didn't make the cut. His second version is Ladies Man, which has the Low & High Forceball, plus his Rising Uppercut
Sure about that? Having server issues like everyone else but I think Shock Jock and Showstopper are his competitive variations. Starpower and Ladies Man are not. Could be wrong though.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Sure about that? Having server issues like everyone else but I think Shock Jock and Showstopper are his competitive variations. Starpower and Ladies Man are not. Could be wrong though.
I just checked it on my copy, he has Star Power and Ladies Man, I don't see the other two

EDIT: Alright, I'm seeing on another stream that he's got Shock Jock and Showstopper. So, now I'm confused.

Last edited:
I just checked it on my copy, he has Star Power and Ladies Man, I don't see the other two

EDIT: Alright, I'm seeing on another stream that he's got Shock Jock and Showstopper. So, now I'm confused.
@Tundra81

There are two sets of pre made variations : the casual and ranked ones.
The casual ones are the "default" kustom variations found in training/tower/Casual fight. They can be changed at anytime and add/remove everything you want in Kustomize.
The pre set ranked/tournaments are the ones you can find in Tournament. You need to create a kustom variation to train with the ranked variation.
To create them : go in Kustomize, Create new variation (or replace the "casual" ones), go in abilities, press Square, and select Shock Jolt and Suckstopper at the bottom of the list (the ranked presets are always at the bottom and always have a trophy icon next to them.

Confusing, right ? Hope it helped, it took me two days to realize this.

NRS can't even communicate and have a decent UI when it comes for the core mechanic of their game, but the MTXs work perfectly.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Looks like Fatal Blow cancel leaves you at +6. Might possibly be more. I've been up for a lot of hours and my execution is deteriorating.

Wigy

There it is...
Characters with a fast low poke are a nightmare.
Parry I'm using to check d1/d2 Mashers but it's weird Johnny is actually lacking on the good mid department.. if f4 was staggerable that would be good.

Good thing nutpunch seems awfully hard to punish.

Johnny's crushing blows are complete ass.

Nutpunch one is just 80 more damage.... Would be good if he had one off his strings that wasn't his 83627frame high

Characters with a fast low poke are a nightmare.
Parry I'm using to check d1/d2 Mashers but it's weird Johnny is actually lacking on the good mid department.. if f4 was staggerable that would be good.

Good thing nutpunch seems awfully hard to punish.

Johnny's crushing blows are complete ass.

Nutpunch one is just 80 more damage.... Would be good if he had one off his strings that wasn't his 83627frame high
I honestly feel like if they just made nutpunch more + on hit, he would be fine, at this point I can’t even walk back to whiff punish a mashed d2-d1, also I don’t remember high attacks being able to be duck blocked unless it was a wonky female hitbox, wtf is going on with that?

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I honestly feel like if they just made nutpunch more + on hit, he would be fine, at this point I can’t even walk back to whiff punish a mashed d2-d1, also I don’t remember high attacks being able to be duck blocked unless it was a wonky female hitbox, wtf is going on with that?
I don't understand why they made his nutpunch hit advantage ala mkx Cassie this time. With her it made sense, to not enforce the 50/50. But he still has no mix (less than ever) , so it doesn't make much sense that he can't get some pressure after a nutpunch.

Wigy

There it is...
Don't know If his walk speed is bad or all walk speed is bad but the days of s1 walk back seem gone

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Welp. After playing Johnny all day, I understand everybody's complaints.
Johnny is a truly fucking garbage bottom tier boi.

Doesn't even seem worth ending combos with a nutpunch now, opponents just mash out of muh pressure.
Honestly. What the fuck were they thinking?

Welp. After playing Johnny all day, I understand everybody's complaints.
Johnny is a truly fucking garbage bottom tier boi.

Doesn't even seem worth ending combos with a nutpunch now, opponents just mash out of muh pressure.
Honestly. What the fuck were they thinking?
Yeah how did this happen with DIZZY on the dev team? Lol

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I don't understand why they made his nutpunch hit advantage ala mkx Cassie this time. With her it made sense, to not enforce the 50/50. But he still has no mix (less than ever) , so it doesn't make much sense that he can't get some pressure after a nutpunch.
i honestly dont want the game to be mix.. he's not a trash character .. he's just missing a fast mid check.. maybe nutpunch can be a tiny bit more + but it's honestly just like he can't do shit about mashing lowpprofiled pokes because hes too slow

Reactions: JDM

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Interesting find here using 12~Caged Rage

So the first version is high...and it's easily thwarted. However, if you get lucky enough to have your opponent block it, the next 2 versions are pretty good. For some reason(maybe block stun), doing 12 before CR makes it nearly impossible to poke. I set Cage to do 12~CR, and I used Jax's 7 frame D1 to poke at it. I couldnt poke Johnny out of level 2 or 3 Caged Rage. The best I could do was trade. I could not trade with Jax's 8 frame D3. It doesn't seem like any other string or normal gives you this advantage with CR. I'm not sure why.

I feel like there may be some tech here to dig up. If you add in brass knuckles, 12~level2CR does like 5% chip, and level 3 is unblockable.

There's gotta be something here. I refuse to believe these specials are worthless. I gotta log off for the day...I hope someone fucks around with this while I'm gone.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Remember when day 1 A-List was bottom 5? I do...He's fine stop this nonsense.
i was the first person to say A list was the best one, but day 1 Johnny / Alist wasn't good. He had rediculous gaps and everything was high etc.. They fixed him a couple weeks down, but day 1 he was absolutely trash