What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Just beat a Noob Saibot that was tbagging throughout the match, and trying to land fatal blows. Sweet justice! I love it. I love putting these scrubs in their place.you just have to keep a clear head. Imagine if we put this much effort into another character with more options. We'd be unstoppable.

Error404

Noob
So I found a "usable" way to get level 1 rage charge.
You can't duck it after d4 on hit , so I started doing out of range d4s and buffuring into db4. If they got hit pressing a button it would give me rage charge , if not I whiffed d4 from a long range and was hard to punish.
It's workable , I guess but only in this scenerio. Not worth going for it if d4 hits regularly and you can get f3.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Dude, no.
NO.
Just NO.

If I ever see a "high level" cage vid where EVERY SINGLE ONE gets hit by b34 in neutral i'm going to flip.

I have literally found NOBODY that is aware that the block button exists that gets hit by that period.
There is no conditioning period. Sure, whiff punishing yes, but IN NEUTRAL? REALLY?

What are these players those "pro" "top" players are playing against man?
Literally every single beginner in ranked blocks b34 EVERY SINGLE TIME in neutral. You can literally NOT do that string once.

I literally clicked the vid above and literally the first hit of the match was b34.

Just stop. Please. Stop.

I still don't understand why Mime Time is effective against some moves like Jade's Shadow Kick or Kano's Black Dragon Ball but it's not against other moves like LK's flying kick, Kabal's Nomad Dash etc. I mean these moves aren't low, I should be able to catch them with the parry.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Out of the most, I'm dissapointed it doesn't work for scorpion's teleport. That alone would have made it excellent.

About what I said above, I meant that literally every single random beginner in ranked, and all my offline group, nobody, NOBODY ever gets hit in neutral by b34.
They already know the matchup, they know turtling in crouch and spamming d3s and d4s shuts down everything Cage has.

They will never be caught in neutral by b34 EVER. E-VER.

I said in NEUTRAL. Whiff punishes are another thing, and yes, b34 whiff punishing a poke is very good and it happens a lot.
But in neutral? Only AFK people get hit by that. Seriously.

And then, i get all these videos with UBER CAGE GAMEPLAY. TOP TIER CAGE GAMEPLAY. HIGH LEVEL CAGE. ULTRA INSTINCT CAGE.
And all I see in these videos, Kompetitor, top 100 cage whatever, I don't care. All I see is people getting hit in neutral left and right by b34.

I can't have that. ANY, Literally ANY single match that has someone getting hit by b34 in neutral is NOT high level period.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Anybody have experience consistently getting the "no hollywood strings attached" (f344) brute to trigger? Throughout the match, I'll hit them with a 244u4 (last hit usually), whiff punish with b34, finish them with f344 and it still doesn't trigger half the time. I really don't understand it. Any help?

Edit: Might be worth mentioning that it seems like when the f3 is the killing hit, the kicks that follow don't trigger the brute for me. I'm only successful when one of the kicks from the f344 is the killing hit. Surely that can't be a thing.

Last edited:

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
It has to be the string alone.
If the last hit of the 244u4 connects, it counts, but b34 has to be the string and that's it. If you do b34 nut punch or b34 cancelled into anything it doesn't count.

It literally has to be that raw string.
Dude, fucking thank you so much! As stupid as that is, it's really good to know. Been racking my brain for days trying to figure it out.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Anybody have experience consistently getting the "no hollywood strings attached" (f344) brute to trigger? Throughout the match, I'll hit them with a 244u4 (last hit usually), whiff punish with b34, finish them with f344 and it still doesn't trigger half the time. I really don't understand it. Any help?
Yeah I'm having this problem too. I think you straight up have to use the strings in their purest form. So you can't 2in1 the strings or land it with a JP.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Out of the most, I'm dissapointed it doesn't work for scorpion's teleport. That alone would have made it excellent.

About what I said above, I meant that literally every single random beginner in ranked, and all my offline group, nobody, NOBODY ever gets hit in neutral by b34.
They already know the matchup, they know turtling in crouch and spamming d3s and d4s shuts down everything Cage has.

They will never be caught in neutral by b34 EVER. E-VER.

I said in NEUTRAL. Whiff punishes are another thing, and yes, b34 whiff punishing a poke is very good and it happens a lot.
But in neutral? Only AFK people get hit by that. Seriously.

And then, i get all these videos with UBER CAGE GAMEPLAY. TOP TIER CAGE GAMEPLAY. HIGH LEVEL CAGE. ULTRA INSTINCT CAGE.
And all I see in these videos, Kompetitor, top 100 cage whatever, I don't care. All I see is people getting hit in neutral left and right by b34.

I can't have that. ANY, Literally ANY single match that has someone getting hit by b34 in neutral is NOT high level period.
I'm going to make you some videos that don't have me doing raw b34s. Can I still name them "ULTRA MEGA CAGE ASS KICKING NUTPUNCHING GAMEPLAY DAB ON THE HATERZ!"?

@M.D. Gotcha, the two videos above had nothing to do with b34 so I was confused. Didn't know what games you were referring to either. If I post a "High Level Johnny" I'm going by leaderboard so it is what it is. I agree though b34 isn't great. Still use it sometimes but it get's jumped over a lot

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
@M.D. Gotcha, the two videos above had nothing to do with b34 so I was confused. Didn't know what games you were referring to either. If I post a "High Level Johnny" I'm going by leaderboard so it is what it is. I agree though b34 isn't great. Worked in the beginning but now it get's jumped over, is slow, and doesn't cancel into balls or rage that well on block. That said if you catch me scrubbin it up just call me Cinderella
Guys, let's not start calling B34 shit. We're talking about a low string that has incredible range, is safe, and has wonderful whiff/punish capabilities. It out ranges so many characters "good mids". It's really good. Not great, but good. If they fix the amplified forceball whiff issues, this shit is going to become great.

@Name v.5.0 fair enough. Range is on par with f3 and better than f4. Startup is deceiving.

@ShepherdOfFire regarding parry it's weird I heard it's cause Liu is airborne but Kano Ball and Electric Fly seem pretty airborne as well. Plus Kitana's half blood dive kick is an airborne tele and get's parried while Scorpions gets away with his cause of the side switch. The animation when you parry dive kick looks pretty funny. She just slides off you and gets her sh*t rocked

Last edited:
So does anyone else HEAVILY rely on his projectiles? I don't mean in block strings. I mean in mid to long range. Like, I think I play as one of the most 'lame' Johnnys lol. Big reliance one his projectile until the opponent can prove they can deal with it. Then they finally get it and I panic and lose. ;)

I feel like its really hard to deal with, especially in mid range, where the startup and speed are in his favor. I admittedly haven't used it much in block strings yet, so I need to incorporate it. I throw it so much in neutral that alot of times I don't have the meter to use the amp version in block strings lol.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
It might be too soon to say for sure, but this is what it feels like for me, personally: Frost might be one of Johnny's worst matchups