What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
God's I fucking hate it when I know I'm going to do D4, then F3 into throw and the damn F3 actually hits. Coulda had that combo. Oh well.
I know the feeling. That's why I go into every match now assuming the opponent has 0 knowledge of Johnny's options until they prove otherwise. Works wonders. Sometimes it takes 3 full combos after a D4 before they finally realize that they have to hold the F3

Last edited:

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Hey folks, I see around here in that you guys aren't the happiest with Johnnyboi either.

I've had some success forcing f3 after a d4 but seems character dependant. And nutpunch seems awful, no guaranteed stagger after - genuinely feels like I'm giving the opponent opportunity to bully me without having to worry about oki.

Any of you had any luck with the camera variation?

FoughtDragon01

Any of you had any luck with the camera variation?
We don't speak of that in this household.

EDIT: To give a more in depth answer, it's just a bad variation. On paper, it's easy enough to assume what it's supposed to do. Camera gives us access to higher grounded damage, which means the opponent can't break out of it. Shades gives us a mid projectile similar to what he had in MKX to better counter neutral crouching. Sounds good. On paper. But once you start labbing, or god forbid, take it online, you quickly realize that this shit just. Doesn't. Work.

Shades has piss poor range and can still fly right over crouching opponents, despite being a mid, and Camera doesn't combo after B34, severely reducing the effectiveness of that string. I could see it getting better with buffs, but at this time and date of May 20, 2019 at 11:58AM EST, this variation is ass.

Oh, and the Krushing Blows attached to Camera and Shades are pretty doo-doo as well, but that's par for the course for Johnny, right?

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Mind if I add these to the guide? With proper credit given, of course.
Go right ahead, of course. Anything I’ve said, feel free to include. Don’t worry about credit. I wasn’t the one who thought of f3 stagger, for example. That was mentioned by someone else way back.

If you’re going through the effort of creating a guide, it’ll be to everyone’s benefit, it doesn’t matter where the tech comes from.

Last edited:
God's I fucking hate it when I know I'm going to do D4, then F3 into throw and the damn F3 actually hits. Coulda had that combo. Oh well.
Lol that always happens to me, a lot of these players rarely play any johnnys at all. The worse they are, the more you have to dewire your brain and neglet alot of the options youve learnt

Wrath0594

Lol that always happens to me, a lot of these players rarely play any johnnys at all. The worse they are, the more you have to dewire your brain and neglet alot of the options youve learnt
It’s not necessarily that you need to dewire, it’s like FoughtDragon01 said, you have to conditon em. Start by using d4 into f344 the first couple times- 3 or 4 maybe, then switch. When I play Liu, I always use f43u3 until they show me they know the counterplay. I don’t go straight to f4 stagger throw. Also, I never mind if the f3 hits. I delay the throw so the + frames from the hit go into that.

It’s not necessarily that you need to dewire, it’s like FoughtDragon01 said, you have to conditon em. Start by using d4 into f344 the first couple times- 3 or 4 maybe, then switch. When I play Liu, I always use f43u3 until they show me they know the counterplay. I don’t go straight to f4 stagger throw. Also, I never mind if the f3 hits. I delay the throw so the + frames from the hit go into that.
Yep true, always good to have a layered gameplan. I was reading before about you talking about f4 after amp forceball on b32 when timed correctly, gonna ask what do you follow up with after the f4? a throw ? another FB? what about on block etc

Wrath0594

Yep true, always good to have a layered gameplan. I was reading before about you talking about f4 after amp forceball on b32 when timed correctly, gonna ask what do you follow up with after the f4? a throw ? another FB? what about on block etc
You mean b34 amped forceball? F4 is too fast too hitconfirm, so I just pick something. F44 for safety, f4 amped forceball for the + frames, or f4 caged rage for the charge. F4 by itself actaully isn’t a real stagger since it’s -9. I just like that they can’t neutral jump me. People love doing that if I do use f344 amped fbs.

FoughtDragon01

Maybe you guys have seen this already, but there's a pretty neat easter egg when customizing Johnny's shades.
Seems like it triggers randomly
Little stuff like this is what makes me a ride-or-die Cage main despite his flaws. They just put so much personality into everything he does. Whenever I try someone else, it just doesn't feel the same because they lack that 'asshole' factor.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
D4 on hit cancelled into Caged Rage can be a pretty easy way to get them to block it setting up for the unblockable Caged Rage easier. If you establish some Mime Time games off of D1 you could prolly getaway with Caged Rage off blocked pokes too out of fear of a easy 30% off Mime Time AMP.

Also Fatal Blow dash cancel can be a decent gimmick from time to time as most prolly wont expect it and they'll either get hit by it, or respect it and keep blocking. Practice mode doesnt tell the frame advantage of it unfortunately. Since you cancel the Fatal Blow and it doesnt connect, you can still use it after the fact should the match last long enough

Just some cute gimmicks I use from time to time

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Little stuff like this is what makes me a ride-or-die Cage main despite his flaws. They just put so much personality into everything he does. Whenever I try someone else, it just doesn't feel the same because they lack that 'asshole' factor.
Kung Lao is also kind of a cocky asshole, but he's borderline garbage LOL

FoughtDragon01

Alright, I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I found a corner combo that allows us to safely activate Brass Knuckles. If done right, it allows us to block in time, even against Geras' 6-frame wake-up U2.

StarterxxAmp'd Nut Punch, 2, 2, 2, 34xxKnuckles.

The damage ranges from 26% to 29% depending on the starter, but it may be possible to optimize it further. It is possible to land a 4th S2 and still recover in time to block, but the timing is much tighter for only an extra 1% of damage.

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Alright, I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I found a corner combo that allows us to safely activate Brass Knuckles. If done right, it allows us to block in time, even against Geras' 6-frame wake-up U2.

StarterxxAmp'd Nut Punch, 2, 2, 2, 34xxKnuckles.

The damage ranges from 26% to 29% depending on the starter, but it may be possible to optimize it further. It is possible to land a 4th 2 and still recover in time to block, but the timing is much tighter for only an extra 1% of damage.
Good find. I’m sure there’s a question of viability tho. You lose like 8% in damage and a restand to activate something you may get nothing from. Johnny already struggles to get legit damage. I could see using this if you have one bar or are on level 2 caged rage. I’m going to test this out. I think brass knuckles has serious potential.

Wrath0594

I have a lot of catching up to do. Took a lil break to quit the nicotine habit. The kicks have always contributed to brass knuckle damage. It'd suck if that wasn't the case although the MB balls are the only thing making it good. Did anyone know how to cheese the ai with Johnny before the fix? I was gonna make a video on it but it's patched.
Uploaded some more high level Johnny Replays if anyone's interested.
Ok, the matches are cool and all, but more importantly, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT SEXY ASS MIME TAUNT ROUND ENDER?!

But seriously though, sick games.
Yall skeptics (heretics) need to watch these and take notes.

Last edited:
@Wrath0594 Haha that's not me, It's someone on the top 100 "Yamminiw". Wish I was half as good. I do have the mime taunt though if its the one where he bumps into the wall at end of round. It's likeley in one of the first three character towers or maybe his shao khan box in the krypt. I wish you could choose which of those were enabled like the intros. I haven't had much time to play lately unfortunately.