What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Kind of funny how this thread is non-stop complaints about how bad Cage is, meanwhile Emperor Kombat just took this weeks Kombat Kup using mostly Cage.

If you are still getting beat by d1 spam, that's on you. That isn't even a valid complaint in my eyes. You're clearly doing something wrong.
When Cage can play at his own game, he's a really solid character. The main issue that's mainly being brought up, aside from the hitbox issues and the lack of a good mid starter, is that there are characters that don't play by the rules of the game and basically are able to work around him using their toolset.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
124, F21, and F344 all whiff if your opponent is poke spamming as they're high starters. There are several hitbox issues, and females duck under everything. Post videos of yourself winning with Cage as well as your character history.
Yeah, they're highs... they're gonna lose to down pokes. Cage is also a character that goes under high attacks so there's really no sense in complaining about it.

Yeah, they're highs... they're gonna lose to down pokes. Cage is also a character that goes under high attacks so there's really no sense in complaining about it.
You didn't tell everybody which characters you use, or if you even use Cage. Cage doesn't have viable crushing blows, an overhead, 50/50s, and his nut punch can't even be considered a stun due to the forced input delay. When the nut punch lands, you have to wait for your opponent, which is completely illogical. F21 and F344 should NOT be high attacks. F4 is too slow to compensate. The only thing I read your post and others is, "I couldn't stop Cage's pressure in the last two games, so I want him to stay low tier."
Meanwhile, you don't seem to have a problem with characters like Geras that have every tool in the book and then some. Please post videos showing how "solid" of a character Cage is.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
You didn't tell everybody which characters you use, or if you even use Cage. Cage doesn't have viable crushing blows, an overhead, 50/50s, and his nut punch can't even be considered a stun due to the forced input delay. When the nut punch lands, you have to wait for your opponent, which is completely illogical. F21 and F344 should NOT be high attacks. F4 is too slow to compensate. The only thing I read your post and others is, "I couldn't stop Cage's pressure in the last two games, so I want him to stay low tier."
Meanwhile, you don't seem to have a problem with characters like Geras that have every tool in the book and then some. Please post videos showing how "solid" of a character Cage is.
I played a lot of Cage week 1, but now I'm playing Kung Lao. I don't have any videos to show you but this isn't about me.
I've posted tech in this thread about how to enforce your highs and mids using cage's pokes.
I agree he isn't top tier but I have no agenda. They do need to fix his KB's.
My point has always been that most of the people in this thread aren't adapting to this game and that maybe cage isn't that bad.
Stop complaining about the same things over and over and lab some stuff.
I'll probably stop posting here because it's a complete waste of time.

I played a lot of Cage week 1, but now I'm playing Kung Lao. I don't have any videos to show you but this isn't about me.
I've posted tech in this thread about how to enforce your highs and mids using cage's pokes.
I agree he isn't top tier but I have no agenda. They do need to fix his KB's.
My point has always been that most of the people in this thread aren't adapting to this game and that maybe cage isn't that bad.
Stop complaining about the same things over and over and lab some stuff.
I'll probably stop posting here because it's a complete waste of time.
You played a lot of Cage week 1, then switched. I don't blame you. He's completely underwhelmed against the average player with at least 2 brain cells. You don't have to be a smart person to understand that by the second round, simply use D1 whenever cage tries to advance.
"Lab some stuff"
I've been doing it more than most, and I'd go as far as to say that I found convenient, but effective combos and wall combos before I saw any videos online.
"I'll probably stop posting here"
If you don't use Johnny Cage or have the experience with him against good players, then why say anything? Like I said, we're only asking for F21 and F344 to be Mid attacks, better crushing blows, and his second variation to be fixed.
You guys can keep your mixups and projectiles.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
You played a lot of Cage week 1, then switched. I don't blame you. He's completely underwhelmed against the average player with at least 2 brain cells. You don't have to be a smart person to understand that by the second round, simply use D1 whenever cage tries to advance.
"Lab some stuff"
I've been doing it more than most, and I'd go as far as to say that I found convenient, but effective combos and wall combos before I saw any videos online.
"I'll probably stop posting here"
If you don't use Johnny Cage or have the experience with him against good players, then why say anything? Like I said, we're only asking for F21 and F344 to be Mid attacks, better crushing blows, and his second variation to be fixed.
You guys can keep your mixups and projectiles.
It's week 2, of course I'm going to explore other characters.

I'll stop posting here because people with your mentality. Whining about the character. Demanding to see my credentials...

It's not what I came here for. Peace.

It's week 2, of course I'm going to explore other characters.

I'll stop posting here because people with your mentality. Whining about the character. Demanding to see my credentials...

It's not what I came here for. Peace.
What did you come here for then?

Wigy

There it is...
Right let's be real here. If cages f344 was a mid that would be a bit much for an early patch.

Fix his crushing blows and hurtboxes of some characters and nerf the clearly OP characters.

Main issue is that cage seems to require more skill and patience than most characters. You're guna have to work harder and have better execution than an opponent abusing better normals and poking but he has the tools to do it. Even if he doesn't you're just asking for a hitconfirmable super neutral stagger string.

If they were guna change something make f4 not total shit for 14 frames

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
If you're going to defend Cage in his current state then back up your claims.
If Emperor Kombat winning Kombat Kup beating high level players using Geras and Erron Black wasn't enough for you then what the hell could I possibly post to change your mind.

Oh, and I see you just joined this site yesterday. I've been here since MK9.
Get the fuck off my lawn.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Right let's be real here. If cages f344 was a mid that would be a bit much for an early patch.

Fix his crushing blows and hurtboxes of some characters and nerf the clearly OP characters.

Main issue is that cage seems to require more skill and patience than most characters. You're guna have to work harder and have better execution than an opponent abusing better normals and poking but he has the tools to do it. Even if he doesn't you're just asking for a hitconfirmable super neutral stagger string.

Yeah, pretty much. His flaws, while noticeable, are flaws that can be fixed. Still hopeful for a mid, though, but I can work around that.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.

That's been my feelings towards him, too. He feels like a character that really requires you to use all of the tools provided to you, at least in Shock Jock. Once I started using parry and Caged Rage more often, it felt like I had access to a lot more mind games than just staggering F3 into throw lol.

He's def the character I have the most fun playing, and once they patch up the issues holding him back, I feel he'll be a proper threat at high levels.

Still holding out for a mid F2 tho.

Zubro

Noob
Hello all, I’m new to the forums but been lurking in the shadows since mkx was an A-lister. Having a great time with cage so far and I’m not having too much of a problem with d1 mashers. I stick to the game plan I’ve been using with cage for years by ending everything in NP. This time around it’s only +5 but d4 into f344 seems to stop them mashing. And once they start respecting the restand you can start with the mind games. Can they poke out of d4 into f344? I haven’t run across anyone that has I just assumed it jailed.

If Emperor Kombat winning Kombat Kup beating high level players using Geras and Erron Black wasn't enough for you then what the hell could I possibly post to change your mind.

Oh, and I see you just joined this site yesterday. I've been here since MK9.
Get the fuck off my lawn.
Not good enough since the game just came out and everybody was still learning the ropes. Plus, that's only one person in a game that'll have at least 3 years of longevity with several more tournaments to come. I asked for your matches anyway. And for the record I joined after getting beaten by obvious bad players, because I didn't have a good mid starter. It's called constructive criticism; that's how broken characters get fixed, and underpowered characters become playable.

Not a bit much at all as he doesn't have an overhead. If F344 was a mid attack your opponent can still block low. It's up to him to guess whether I'm going to grab or not. You all seem to be forgetting that this game is infested with uppercut spammers as well. This is due to NRS adding "Krushing Blows". F4 is way too slow to rely on.

Lol. Guy asks for video of johnny winning when literally the top post on this page is a guy winning with johnny at the highest level. But nevermind that we’re here to complain and ask for buffs.

Not a bit much at all as he doesn't have an overhead. If F344 was a mid attack your opponent can still block low. It's up to him to guess whether I'm going to grab or not. You all seem to be forgetting that this game is infested with uppercut spammers as well. This is due to NRS adding "Krushing Blows". F4 is way too slow to rely on.
No one has an overhead dude. This is not mkx.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Hello all, I’m new to the forums but been lurking in the shadows since mkx was an A-lister. Having a great time with cage so far and I’m not having too much of a problem with d1 mashers. I stick to the game plan I’ve been using with cage for years by ending everything in NP. This time around it’s only +5 but d4 into f344 seems to stop them mashing. And once they start respecting the restand you can start with the mind games. Can they poke out of d4 into f344? I haven’t run across anyone that has I just assumed it jailed.
D4 is +17 on hit and F3 takes 14 frames to come out, so it can jail if you're fast enough, yeah. It's a staple of a lot of Cage players' pressure.

As for ending combos in Nut Punch, I've personally shifted over to ending combos with either Shadow Kick to push them towards the corner, or Flippy Kick to keep them closer to me. If I end a corner combo with Shadow Kick, I usually take a few steps back to bait a wake up attack and them whiff punish with F3. It's been pretty effective so far lol.

No one has an overhead dude. This is not mkx.
Sub Zero has an overhead, several in fact. So does Scorpion and others. Kano has an overhead too. Cage doesn't have an overhead. Therefore, no one respects your pressure. This comment reminds me of people who there's no ADS in Halo 5.

I do agree that f344 being mid is asking a bit much right now. It's decent while the KB are a** tier. Fixing those and any hitbox issues would give us a better idea of where Cage stands once he's a full character. Of course if they wanna buff him beyond that I'm fine but not to the point I'll have to do Johnny mirrors lol.

Lol. Guy asks for video of johnny winning when literally the top post on this page is a guy winning with johnny at the highest level. But nevermind that we’re here to complain and ask for buffs.
I asked for a video of him using Johnny Cage, not a pro player who got the game early and nobody knows the ins and outs yet. I saw a video of Dizzy losing to Scarlet. He couldn't do anything. Also, re read what I said to the Scorpion player above.

I do agree that f344 being mid is asking a bit much right now. It's decent while the KB are a** tier. Fixing those and any hitbox issues would give us a better idea of where Cage stands once he's a full character. Of course if they wanna buff him beyond that I'm fine but not to the point I'll have to do Johnny mirrors lol.
A list had the same problems in MKX. Deja Vu. Someone at NRS hates Johnny.