What's new

MK1 Invasions Mode: (It Sucks)

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
There's a really fun mode here if it comes back with more polish in later seasons.. more well thought out challenges and tighter gameplay with talismans and the boss fights. I like the format, it's a good idea

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
personally I can't wait for season 2... I loved the 1st one and hope the new one is just as good. I'll probably only play it on one device this time though as I have pretty much switched to PS5 from PC now.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
They really need to make these seasons much shorter - 2 - 3 weeks max. At this rate, assuming that there will be one devoted to each character (non DLC), it will take over 2.5 years to go through them all. Unless I am missing something, this is ridiculous.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Yea this mode is awful I played it a bit when the game was still a week old but quickly got bored and annoyed with it and went online and haven't touched it since.

chrisisnice

At the moment you just have to do fights with the same moves with different shit modifiers to do the job quickly. Apart from that, you do some boring dodge game or a TYM.

As I said before, there are ways that this mode could work well. Add variety. Add options like a retrocade eg MK1/2/3, a puzzle / motor kombat direct port or bring back chess kombat. This would be lots of fun.

Have the majority of nodes where your fights that are devoted to MK 1 matches, have others where you can select an option betreen a MK2 fight or an MK1 fight or select between an MK1 dodge game or a puzzle kombat game or select between a traditional MK1 tower or chess kombat.

All of these could be included in weekly towers as well. Super fun!

Really, something needs to be done. SF6 is crapping all over this game in the fun department. Not only do they have the regular game, but they have World Tours, avatars, tournaments, quests, retrocades of Capcom's back catalogue etc. There is so much replay value.

Jynks

2They really need to make these seasons much shorter - 2 - 3 weeks max. At this rate, assuming that there will be one devoted to each character (non DLC), it will take over 2.5 years to go through them all. Unless I am missing something, this is ridiculous.
how is that ridiculous.. the game is planned to be 2-5 years support.. so it actually sounds about exactly right...

chrisisnice

how is that ridiculous.. the game is planned to be 2-5 years support.. so it actually sounds about exactly right...
Because most people will not have the patience to wait that long to complete what is already a repetive mode and will just move on. People need different stuffs to do.

SF6 craps all over this game as far as content. SF has world tour which includes effective access to trial DLC as a part of it, avatar fun, tournaments, fashion, retrocade featuring a bunch of fun games etc. There is seriously enough to enjoy for months without touching online regular fights.

MK1 is a great game mechanics wise, but it is almost entirely reliant to online fights. Apart from that, you have a story you complete once and invasions. These contain fights with the repetitive mods and armored oponents to cheese through (giving you bad habits for online), TYM and annoying, un-fun obstacle levels. All of this shit is on a ridiculously long 6 week rotation. A 3 week rotation would be more stimulating and help save this mode.

Don't get me wrong, I am loving the mechanics of the game itself, but once you have completed the story and finished your invasion, there is basically nothing to do apart from online. That is fine if this was 2010, but these days, I think it is well below standard.

Aaaannd, there will not be 5 years of support. This sort of crap is said every time.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think it’s dumb that you don’t get anything for the TYM modes. It’s essentially a pointless time wasting mini game that isn’t even fun.

Anyway, is there a new season now in this mode or something? I saw someone talking about fighting a giant Baraka or some shit?

chrisisnice

I think it’s dumb that you don’t get anything for the TYM modes. It’s essentially a pointless time wasting mini game that isn’t even fun.

Anyway, is there a new season now in this mode or something? I saw someone talking about fighting a giant Baraka or some shit?
I agree - the TYM nodes are weird.

The new mesa is a three phase Baraka boss fight (for the Baraka Skin) and an obstacle level (I don't think it was for anything special).

For the boss fight, I just put on the armor consumable and fart trinketed my way to winning after the 1st (easy) phase.

It is only open for another 3 days or so, so youy better do it soon if you would like the skin,.

I find it a fairly fun mode. The one thing I don't like about it, though, is all the random encounters. Having some here and there is fine, but it seems to happen too often.

Jynks

I find it a fairly fun mode. The one thing I don't like about it, though, is all the random encounters. Having some here and there is fine, but it seems to happen too often.
I'd already done the entire thing twice on ps5 and pc, but apparently they changed the secret fight and ambush amount in a patch. I basically only ever moved with a fox item running so never got the randoms after maxing out my resistance.

For the boss fight, I just put on the armor consumable and fart trinketed my way to winning after the 1st (easy) phase.
I used the Infinite Talisman buff for the fight and infini-farted Baraka to death, never once interacting with his terribly designed 'gameplay' for that fight.

Sharting all over MK1's attempt at single player content to earn a skin that is actually a palette swap and isn't even the skin of the guy I sharted to death is absolute peak MK1-design living-metaphor in action.

EDIT:

Also it genuinely revealed just how awful his design is as a 'challenge'.

Reiko released a noxious decatuple-layered miasma of Taco Bell-fueled hit boxes onto Baraka that would've made Bo'Rai'Cho on an all-bean diet proud...and final stage Baraka just stood going through his attacks while I blocked, refusing to acknowledge the greasy wall of gag-inducing enchirito-flavored putrescence surrounding him until his ludicrous i-frames finally gave out after something like 12 seconds. He then simultaneously took all of the damage from the horrific napalm-fierce Talisman-toot dutch oven I'd entrapped him in going from full life to instantly dead in 1 frame. Reiko, satisfied with his Geneva Convention-shredding biological warfare tactics that spit in the face of the very Reiko Accords named for him, stood proud and laughed, telling Baraka that he was even more disappointing as a corpse...likely because of the eye-watering stench that would now permanently cling to the Tarkatan's dead body, creating a hazard zone a quarter mile in diameter in all directions where nothing would ever grow again thereby setting the ground work for the upcoming DLC stage 'Fartarkan Swamps' coming in Invasion Season 2.

Afterwards, Reiko marched forth to overcome the dragon king Onaga, knowing the beast would have no chance against his new booty-based brutality.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Whatever little modifications they did to invasion (like the running speed or the armor modification) doesnt help solve the underlying issue of this mode, being that it's fucking boring and repetitive. What a wasted addition. I completed the first season and there is ZERO chance im going through this boring shit again lol

I still see potential in this game mode, but they need to make it more "engaging" and more "dynamic". It feels to repetitive, maybe less fights per maps and use 2-round matches instead and have more interactions with the environment. Maybe a bit more story telling and more stuff to do in the environment itself.

But one thing that I hate the most, is the lack of customization options. We play certain game modes to unlock stuff. And yes, we have some new stuff with season 2, but overall the most fighters only get an different color of a skin that already exist.

I don't really have the urge to unlock new customization items. Take for example the seasonal items. It's just a reskin of already existing items.

I still see potential in this game mode, but they need to make it more "engaging" and more "dynamic". It feels to repetitive, maybe less fights per maps and use 2-round matches instead and have more interactions with the environment. Maybe a bit more story telling and more stuff to do in the environment itself.

But one thing that I hate the most, is the lack of customization options. We play certain game modes to unlock stuff. And yes, we have some new stuff with season 2, but overall the most fighters only get an different color of a skin that already exist.

I don't really have the urge to unlock new customization items. Take for example the seasonal items. It's just a reskin of already existing items.
Yeah, that hits the nail on the head. As a single player game there's a shit ton of stuff to do but no meat, it's just a bunch of busy work.

The customization thing is really the worst part of it. Let me paint a picture. Imagine literally the same exact experience you have now, except the following: each character has 7 skins with 7 different colors each, plus the seasonal skins. Each character has their unique customization item (for example, only Rain has a staff), and then there are like 200 different cosmetic items like helmets, masks, ridiculous hats, shoes (because god knows characters in this game can't afford shoes), fuckin capes, tattoos, whatever, that can be equipped by any character. So if I want to go online with General Shao with a ninja mask, Chuck Taylors, a Shao-specific axe, and a dildo suction-cupped to his forehead, I can do that. Then every time you complete a tower anywhere in the game, whether in Invasions or the hourly towers or daily towers or whatever, you get one of those items or skins. Hourly give you common ones, daily towers give you uncommon ones, weekly towers give you rare ones, Invasion towers give you epic ones, seasonal challenge towers give you legendary ones (I dunno if I got all those tiers right). The premium shop has a rotation where you can buy them for 100-500 based on their rarity, and you get 500 dragon krystals for beating the season's boss. I would dump so many more hours into this game if that was a reality.

Yeah, that hits the nail on the head. As a single player game there's a shit ton of stuff to do but no meat, it's just a bunch of busy work.

The customization thing is really the worst part of it. Let me paint a picture. Imagine literally the same exact experience you have now, except the following: each character has 7 skins with 7 different colors each, plus the seasonal skins. Each character has their unique customization item (for example, only Rain has a staff), and then there are like 200 different cosmetic items like helmets, masks, ridiculous hats, shoes (because god knows characters in this game can't afford shoes), fuckin capes, tattoos, whatever, that can be equipped by any character. So if I want to go online with General Shao with a ninja mask, Chuck Taylors, a Shao-specific axe, and a dildo suction-cupped to his forehead, I can do that. Then every time you complete a tower anywhere in the game, whether in Invasions or the hourly towers or daily towers or whatever, you get one of those items or skins. Hourly give you common ones, daily towers give you uncommon ones, weekly towers give you rare ones, Invasion towers give you epic ones, seasonal challenge towers give you legendary ones (I dunno if I got all those tiers right). The premium shop has a rotation where you can buy them for 100-500 based on their rarity, and you get 500 dragon krystals for beating the season's boss. I would dump so many more hours into this game if that was a reality.
Does NRS have an “ideas” dept? Shit like this would have been so welcomed for this game

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
IMO this season is much better. The lack of armor makes it more entertaining, and I'm using "auto level" to keep it from becoming trivially easy.

I see a lot of potential here, honestly.

NoCharge

Noob
It's way better this time around. Talismans and komsumables arent as useless, still not necessary though. Also they should add modifiers to all fights.

Not saying it would solve all of the modes problems but I still think invasions needs NPCs,fighting real roster characters all the time doesnt feel special,or rpg-esq as they are going for.

Traveling and progressing through the mesas should feel like a mini story/quest and having npc characters like tarkatans,shao soldires,outworld constables,black dragon thugs,LK ninjas or cyborgs,or whatever else fits the season/mesa location would really make it stand out and feel special,and then when you do come across a real character it has weight to it,it feels unique,it has a structure,gives you a sense of progression as well as just being more fun and less repetative.

having a fight and then just having ashrah called demon chick 1 is not doing it for me,its just bland.

This plus really bad skin unlocks a really holding the mode back for me.And in general i have to say this is the first mk game where i actively dislike the desing of chracter costumes and alts in an overwhelming capacity,its like there is deliberate action to make characters look less cool and non mk,its so weird to me.

IMO this season is much better. The lack of armor makes it more entertaining, and I'm using "auto level" to keep it from becoming trivially easy.

I see a lot of potential here, honestly.
They're also keeping the opponent's level closer to yours.

The only thing I find I'm not keen on this Season so far is the Survival nodes. The one in Sun Do with the Blood Balls I have yet to complete. I'll try again after I max my characters out and hopefully they can tank a few hits better.

So there is no map to show you which nodes within a mesa are still incomplete? If not, how are you supposed to keep track of all the nodes that you've yet to complete? Or the ones you need to go back to? Like the ones that require special items like keys, cryomancer heart etc?