What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
i just found out that different kameos give different bonus values to your health. like with sareena you have more health than with cyrax.

edit:

darrius +50
sareena +50
cyrax 0
kano -50
sonya 0
sektor 0
frost 0
jax +100
stryker -50
scorpion 0
sub-zero +50
kung lao 0
shujinko 0
motaro -50
goro -50
I wonder what the reasoning is behind the different values. Also, I could’ve sworn I heard 16bit say that some of the characters have different health as well, but maybe she was just referring to the Kameos. Anyway, I’m super curious what the justification is for giving players +50 with Sareena, or -50 with Goro. They had to see that Sareena was pretty good so if anything, you’d expect her to give you -50 health. And I bet Kano being -50 was due to how good he was in the betas. He’s still good, but Sareena is just a better version of him. Except for his ball, that’ll be pretty much the only reason to use him over Sareena imo.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind the different values. Also, I could’ve sworn I heard 16bit say that some of the characters have different health as well, but maybe she was just referring to the Kameos. Anyway, I’m super curious what the justification is for giving players +50 with Sareena, or -50 with Goro. They had to see that Sareena was pretty good so if anything, you’d expect her to give you -50 health. And I bet Kano being -50 was due to how good he was in the betas. He’s still good, but Sareena is just a better version of him. Except for his ball, that’ll be pretty much the only reason to use him over Sareena imo.
yes the chars have different health too. havik has 1100, i play him with sareena and they have 1150.

Plop

Noob
I can’t believe how nobody is calling out how bad the background music is in MK1. From what I have heard, it’s Spiderman/ batman background music all over again. It’s not only NOT fitting, it’s not hyping the battles at all. How..
It's by no means great, but it's an improvement over 11.

To be honest, I don't think there's been any decent background music in an MK game since the 3d era (Except mk9, but that doesn't count cos most of it was just updated classics).

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

To be honest, I don't think there's been any decent background music in an MK game since the 3d era (Except mk9, but that doesn't count cos most of it was just updated classics).
I disagree with you guys. They really made it sound great this time around. I love the teahouse callback to MK1 theme.

Big big improvement IMO

i dont like the approach they took in x where there were barely notable themes but endless pointless progression and i cant even remeber anything from 11. 1 has some good stuff like johnnys mansion or the teahouse, but also some eyebrow-raisers. like the music in corrupted forest is so loud and straining and doesnt fit in with anything; if you get that stage in training mode youll understand. then theres also a bunch of barebones 808 beats that have an ironic charm at best.

Plop

Noob
i dont like the approach they took in x where there were barely notable themes but endless pointless progression and i cant even remeber anything from 11. 1 has some good stuff like johnnys mansion or the teahouse, but also some eyebrow-raisers. like the music in corrupted forest is so loud and straining and doesnt fit in with anything; if you get that stage in training mode youll understand. then theres also a bunch of barebones 808 beats that have an ironic charm at best.
Yeah totally agree. Corrupted Forest is my favourite stage but I can't use it in training mode.

For some reason it seems they keep opting for lame ambience rather than actual background themes. Another thing I wish they'd stop doing is using the score from the story mode as the menu theme. The music they used for the countdown intro on the kombat kasts was better than anything they put in the actual game.

Tear

Noob
Is there a wikia with all the system mechanics? I can't understand how the armor works in this game, both when it comes to the fatal blow and the assist

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
If you do not block something with your upblock, you will get opened up, there is 20 frames of recovery.

So lets take Johnny's F3,4 and then f3,2.

You could upblock the 4 in f3 4, but if I read that you're gonna upblock, I could do f32 and the 2 will hit you.
the game is out- this is not the case. If you upblock a high/mid, it will still block.

Rebind your cameo to L1. Some cameo moves you'll want to hold it down and have the block button accessible. You could still technically do that on R1 but then it's middle finger to press R2 and that's super awkward

Amirluc

Kaballin'

fireborg

Noob
i played mk 12 today for the first time... movement defo better than mk11 but still a little bit off imho... but it got me intrigued

Are kameos bugged? With Goro I can't choose where his stomp lands and same with Sektor. If anyone saw Punk vs Stryker, Punk kept getting punished for not doing close missile and then he never did close missile even one time the whole set which has me believe it was bugged for him too.

I disagree with you guys. They really made it sound great this time around. I love the teahouse callback to MK1 theme.

Big big improvement IMO
My real life has been slammed so I haven't had a ton of time with the game, but the little music I have heard reminds me of John Williams scores? Shades of Star Wars and Indiana Jones? Not at all what I expected, but I like it.