What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Since a lot of the other threads have tons of reactions to graphics, visual style, character skins, and overall impressions, I'm creating this thread specifically for people who want to discuss the gameplay mechanics of Mortal Kombat 1 as we get more information on them.

For a list of videos ordered by date, which is where most of the details are coming from:

Kameo Attacks
  • Have their own 'Kameo Meter', which regenerates on its own
  • Most Kameo attacks seem to take half the meter
  • Two types: "summon" which temporarily freezes your character while the Kameo comes out, "ambush" which can be used mid-attack without pause
  • Kameos can't be called in during certain situations (for example, during some specific moves)
  • Have a startup period with a hurtbox where they can be interrupted, and can be punished for small amounts of damage to your opponent
  • Punishing a Kameo Attack puts the Kameo into a state where it's unavailable and meter regen is delayed
  • A 'Kameo Throw' is available as your character's forward throw
Aerial Attacks
  • Each character has a list of separate aerial combo strings, etc in addition to normals/specials
  • Some aerial strings contain ground bounces that enable you to continue a combo (only Sub-Zero has this in the demo build)
Upward Block
  • Counters jump-ins and overheads, has enough recovery frames to punish quickly if baited
  • Puts the opponent into a grounded state and allows a full-combo followup
Flawless Block
  • Prevents chip damage from being taken
  • Prevents the opponent from gaining meter from the blocked attack
Fatal Blow
  • Combo into fatal blow is now breakable, so a Fatal Blow link is no longer guaranteed full damage
  • Has a 'startup flash' animation to make them more reactable
  • Can't be done when your Kameo is already on screen, or is temporarily disabled from being punished
Wakeups
  • Armored wakeups exist, can be armor-broken
  • Summon Kameos can be used as a wakeup, may have some invincibility frames. There's only one delay timing.
Movement
  • Dash can't be canceled with block, but can be cancelled with a movement option or an attack
  • No run button

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So the collected early info from Sonic is (and as always, first impressions can be wonky since people are excited and usually have limited time with the game, plus early builds):

MOVEMENT AND BASICS
-Movement sounds MK11-ish, some sort of wavedash/dashblock is possible, but it doesn't sound like it's to the extent of MK9, decent walkspeed
-Dashes
-Characters have some EX armored moves, which Sonic characterizes more like MK9

DEFENSE
-There's a new mechanic called "upblock" (basically an air-attack parry) which allows you to specifically commit to get an anti-air punish (full combo), but has enough recovery to be punishable if your opponent empty jumps
-Flawless block exists but to negate chip rather than to give a punish
-Breaker costs 3 bars of meter and requires your Kameo to be available

FATAL BLOW
-Fatal blows are basically like they are in MK11, but activating one causes a 'screen flash' effect, so the startup is more obvious/reactable

INTERACTIBLES
-Stage interactibles are gone

So far the impression I got from the demos of the game being like a stylistic mix of MK11 and MK9 with lots of new sauce added seems like it's holding.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Sonic Fox Twitter copy/paste (played it himself at invite event)
  • It fees like they fixed all the gripes I hd with MK11 and made it a true mk9 sequel its so exciting
  • The creativity the combos the defensive options, PLAYER EXPRESSION, and visuals are just breathtaking. Literally everything I want in a fighting game. I only got 30 minutes on it and I feel like I just played the best fighting game on the planet. 30/10 game. Cannot wait.
  • Also Fatal Blows were just like MK11 EXCEPT.... THERES SCREEN FLASH!!! So it’ll be WAY harder to get randomed out by one!
  • Armored moves just like MK9 exist as get off me tools
  • Breakers cost 3 bars of meter AND your kameo has to be ready.
  • First hit bonus is back.
  • Block button exists dont worry friends lol
  • There’s a brand new mechanic called “upblock” where you can like shift your block upwards on jump ins and FULL COMBO PUNISH them on block. Mindgame is they can empty jump throw you or low you as there is recovery for going for it.
  • Flawless block is back but ONLY negates chip.
  • Mk1 legit feels like a love letter to MK9 with how ex moves are and defensive options too. Im legit so excited.
  • Dashing is committal in MK1. Very much like Injustice/SF. But the walk speed is INSANE
  • I LIED YOU CAN DASHBLOCK KINDA. YOU HAVE TO DASH AND THEN PRESS DOWN. ITS DEFINITELY DIFFERENT BUT EXISTS

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Sonic Fox Twitter copy/paste (played it himself at invite event)
  • It fees like they fixed all the gripes I hd with MK11 and made it a true mk9 sequel its so exciting
  • The creativity the combos the defensive options, PLAYER EXPRESSION, and visuals are just breathtaking. Literally everything I want in a fighting game. I only got 30 minutes on it and I feel like I just played the best fighting game on the planet. 30/10 game. Cannot wait.
  • Also Fatal Blows were just like MK11 EXCEPT.... THERES SCREEN FLASH!!! So it’ll be WAY harder to get randomed out by one!
  • Armored moves just like MK9 exist as get off me tools
  • Breakers cost 3 bars of meter AND your kameo has to be ready.
  • First hit bonus is back.
  • Block button exists dont worry friends lol
  • There’s a brand new mechanic called “upblock” where you can like shift your block upwards on jump ins and FULL COMBO PUNISH them on block. Mindgame is they can empty jump throw you or low you as there is recovery for going for it.
  • Flawless block is back but ONLY negates chip.
  • Mk1 legit feels like a love letter to MK9 with how ex moves are and defensive options too. Im legit so excited.
  • Dashing is committal in MK1. Very much like Injustice/SF. But the walk speed is INSANE
  • I LIED YOU CAN DASHBLOCK KINDA. YOU HAVE TO DASH AND THEN PRESS DOWN. ITS DEFINITELY DIFFERENT BUT EXISTS
They corrected the part about the dashing, so might wanna snip that first part so it's not confusing.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
From what i gathered from a brasilian stream
  • You can Hit Kameos
  • Kameos are cancelled if you get hit
  • Jump arcs feels mostly the same across the current cast shown
  • Attack ranges are restricted just like MK9, no string was shown to travel across the screen in 3 hits like MKX/MK11 kotal
  • No variations/ Neither equip moves
  • Kameos have their own move list and fatalities
  • Kenshi has 2 stances, one with his sword used as handle stick, and other where he draws the sword and increase his range, while sento's spirit manifest and attacks in parallel with his commands, if Kenshi gets hit, sento's spirit loses strength and rests on place.
  • you can be on front of the opponent while sento is in the back, both jamming attacks, and still add a kameo in the mix.
  • The Move list for each character feels MKX huge
  • Damage added to the command list as well
  • Meter doesn't fills on its own, back to traditional build up

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
  • Fatal blows have no armor. Don't get caught mashing
  • The screen size is SMALL. It looks like only 2 or so dashes gets you full screen.
  • As I suspected, amplification is once again part of the initial use of a special as confirmed by the move lists

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Yooo this is interesting.. So from watching the footage, some types of Kameos have their own hurtbox. There was a situation where one player went into Kano's ball Kameo, their opponent did Low Dragon, and the Low Dragon hit the Kameo which was interrupted and went into a hit reaction animation.

In another moment a slide both hit the opponent and traded with the Kameo attack. This is nuts.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So far it screams to be a spacing game, one that should be capable of being on the mix with fight among sf6, tekken 8 and mk1, i though we would be on the losing battle, but watching the gameplay really gives me hopes for this game.

seems like some assists just aren't meant to be comboed from like kano eye laser. he literally holds you down while he does it. obviously just speculation. i wonder if every assist will have this like command grab; gives no oki looks like and has decent recovery.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Ok here's a followup that seems fairly important:

In this build it seems like Kameo attacks take about half your Kameo meter.. But if your Kameo (maybe for some attacks, maybe all?) gets hit as it's coming out, then you lose almost the entire meter, the kameo gets stunned, and goes into an animation where it runs back offscreen.

That's one thing that should keep people from just spamming stuff randomly.
yep, pretty interesting that Kameo can got damaged, and so, this will help indeed ..... I think people will end enjoying this kameo mechanic once they get used to it

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Ok, so watching again, it seems like your Kameo gets hit while it's coming out under certain conditions, the Kameo meter it becomes unavailable, the bar is frozen for a bit and doesn't build any meter, and you can't use it until after that period is over. And your character flashes red.

There's a delay while it's in 'recovery mode'.

So that means you'll have to be careful about the timing if you want to keep optimal usage (and maybe optimal combo damage/options too). And since Sonic says you can't break when your Kameo is not available, that means that if it's a mid/close-range situation where you're at risk of being comboed, that could cost you dearly.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So looking into this even more.. I noticed that if you successfully punish someone's Kameo the player actually takes damage from their own life bar. Interesting. Another reason why this won't be something you can just spam randomly.

Posted this on the other gameplay video thread, but I think it belongs here.

Regular Meter:
  • Regular meter: same as MK9/X, fills when you hit the opponent, get hit, etc
  • Breaker is attached to regular meter and costs all 3 bars
  • Enhanced moves same as MK11, cost regular meter
Kameo
  • "Kameo meter" fills automatically, same as MK11 bar
  • Kameo moves seem to cost 1/2 "kameo meter"
  • Kameos have FORWARD throws, combo extensions (medium damage - you can continue using your character) and combo enders (high damage - you character is animation stuck and cannot move)
  • You can actually hit the Kameo to interrupt his attack (in fact your Kameo can hit your opponent Kameo)
  • You can use your Kameo as a meat shield to block an attack
  • Kameo moves have some depth, for example you can cancel and delay Kano ball
Moves
  • Strings input are very simple (neutral/directional button + sequence of buttons)
  • Strings don't have mix ups (you can see in the move list, it says "block type" meaning that you shouldn't have a low/overhead mix in the same string)
  • Air string/moves that extend combos
  • Back throws are performed by your main character
  • Forward throws are performed by your kameo and consume kameo bar
  • You can clearly see at 2:49 and 4:52 that Liu Kang fails to do the forward throw, but it's because his Kameo is animation locked doing another move, not because he doesn't have kameo meter. You need your kameo ready to do a forward throw, and it doesn't consume any meter.
Gameplay and other stuff
  • Fully fleshed characters, no variations, no "pick your moves" thanks god
  • Flawless block is back
  • Fatal blow same as MK11, but it seems it doesn't have armor (nice)
  • Fatalities input are super easy, and looks like is the same input for all characters

Last edited:
It does, but not on the startup frames
Yup true, just watched it in the gamespot video. There was also another video where Kensh Fatal Blow was blocked and sent you full screen, it didn't seem punisheable at all, I hope I'm wrong...

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
From what i gathered from a brasilian stream
  • You can Hit Kameos
  • Kameos are cancelled if you get hit
  • Jump arcs feels mostly the same across the current cast shown
  • Attack ranges are restricted just like MK9, no string was shown to travel across the screen in 3 hits like MKX/MK11 kotal
  • No variations/ Neither equip moves
  • Kameos have their own move list and fatalities
  • Kenshi has 2 stances, one with his sword used as handle stick, and other where he draws the sword and increase his range, while sento's spirit manifest and attacks in parallel with his commands, if Kenshi gets hit, sento's spirit loses strength and rests on place.
  • you can be on front of the opponent while sento is in the back, both jamming attacks, and still add a kameo in the mix.
  • The Move list for each character feels MKX huge
  • Damage added to the command list as well
  • Meter doesn't fills on its own, back to traditional build up
The Kenshi stances look cool, not gonna lie.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
  • You can use your Kameo as a meat shield to block an attack
Technically, yes, but it seems like there are some downsides — you take the damage, might lose access to your Kameo for a bit, and whatever that red flash on your main character means.. I wonder if you're more vulnerable briefly, or there's some other disadvantage on a punish.