What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Didn't know where to ask this .

But how do you check your online win/lose record?? Anyone can help? Lol

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Is there a difference between teching a back throw and a forward throw? I seemingly get these at random and Google hasn’t been very helpful. Please lmk because throws like any MK are essential to opening ppl up and I want to stop losing to them due to knowledge checks.

smaddy

I'm your huckleberry
Is there a difference between teching a back throw and a forward throw? I seemingly get these at random and Google hasn’t been very helpful. Please lmk because throws like any MK are essential to opening ppl up and I want to stop losing to them due to knowledge checks.
1 or 3 tech a back throw (not pressed together, just one or the other is fine)
2 or 4 tech a front throw (not pressed together, just one or the other is fine)

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
1 or 3 tech a back throw (not pressed together, just one or the other is fine)
2 or 4 tech a front throw (not pressed together, just one or the other is fine)
You’re a saint, what I read on Google was 1 for forward and 3 for back. This makes it much easier.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
You use 2 to tech a forward throw, 1 to tech a back throw

Edit: Got beat out by a moment :(

Not sure where to put this but however this game handles left/right inputs during a cross under is VERY wacky. There's a couple instances I've found.

Exhibit A
When inputting a walk forward after they have crossed you up, you can walk backward in the direction opposite of what you're pressing (???) until the character corrects. Most visible in the first jump of the clip (you can see I'm holding left but Li Mei walks backwards to the right) and last jump (holding right and she walks backwards left)

Exhibit B
When trying to walk forward and then turn around, the character keeps walking in the forward direction for a certain duration even if the opposite direction is being held. In the clip I try to do a micro walk forward then immediately turn around (you can see when I press the back input and even see her return to neutral), but Li Mei takes another step forward before turning around, the end result being 2 steps to the left and 1 step to the right with just 2 button inputs. This makes it harder to do walk under turnaround jab as an anti-crossup because the extra step can make you walk too far and whiff the jab.

This can all be avoided by pressing down during the cross over to correct your orientation but, to my knowledge, this isn't the way inputs have been handled in any of the other NRS MK games and it's making the game feel super janky when these situations come up in matches. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding or missing something. This is the PC version (most recent patch) btw if there's a chance this is platform exclusive.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Been noticing that uppercuts do jack for damage when used in a combo so I wanted to test it out. Looks like uppercuts not used raw (aka following ANY hit that results in the uppercut being part of a combo) have their damage halved from 140 to 70 THEN have combo scaling applied to them. Example: a J1 with Kitana applies 10% combo scaling. A resulting 1 does 18 instead of 20 damage (10% of 20 is 2 to bring it down to 18). A resulting d2 does 63 instead of 140 damage (halved to 70, 10% applied to the 70 for an additional -7 damage to total the 63).

So public service announcement: Don't be using uppercuts in combos as attempted big hit enders cause you aren't likely to actually kill them.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
How do you flawless block? I've been unable to get it consistently.
You just press block the MOMENT an attack makes contact with you. It's quite difficult to do consistently. There's a lesson on it in tutorial mode, if you haven't checked that out yet.

okhuskerfan

PSN: B1G-Husker
Not sure where to put this but however this game handles left/right inputs during a cross under is VERY wacky. There's a couple instances I've found.

Exhibit A
When inputting a walk forward after they have crossed you up, you can walk backward in the direction opposite of what you're pressing (???) until the character corrects. Most visible in the first jump of the clip (you can see I'm holding left but Li Mei walks backwards to the right) and last jump (holding right and she walks backwards left)

Exhibit B
When trying to walk forward and then turn around, the character keeps walking in the forward direction for a certain duration even if the opposite direction is being held. In the clip I try to do a micro walk forward then immediately turn around (you can see when I press the back input and even see her return to neutral), but Li Mei takes another step forward before turning around, the end result being 2 steps to the left and 1 step to the right with just 2 button inputs. This makes it harder to do walk under turnaround jab as an anti-crossup because the extra step can make you walk too far and whiff the jab.

This can all be avoided by pressing down during the cross over to correct your orientation but, to my knowledge, this isn't the way inputs have been handled in any of the other NRS MK games and it's making the game feel super janky when these situations come up in matches. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding or missing something. This is the PC version (most recent patch) btw if there's a chance this is platform exclusive.
Definitely this. Note for anyone: Hit your buttons precisely on back-forward movements. The game doesn't like 'rolling' from left to right. I could be full of shit, but it's the only thing that makes the BF moves come out consistently.

does anyone know if armor works from the first frame of startup when standing? so that your oppont cant interrupt your -5 string followed by armor?

rifraf

Noob
While browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon an interesting video. The content creator raises valid concerns regarding MK1. Do you agree or disagree?

Strongly Suggested Changes - Mortal Kombat 1

I watched the whole thing. QOL suggestions aside, he's asking for changes to core mechanics such as the knockdown system, Kameos, Fatal Blows, Breakers, and also wants the meter system completely revamped, amongst other things. That's a lot of stuff, a week into the games' release.

One topic I agree with is Ranked. There needs to be a connection filter or something because right now it's just not fun to play laggy matches.

My real life has been slammed so I haven't had a ton of time with the game, but the little music I have heard reminds me of John Williams scores? Shades of Star Wars and Indiana Jones? Not at all what I expected, but I like it.
That's Wilbert Roger III's work for ya. Loved his score for Call of Duty: WWII personally; very nostalgic for me.

How do you block-dash efficiently, like what are you guys inputting to move smoothly throughout the screen? Whenever I try doing it, my character gets locked up with a block constantly and I lose all momentum.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
How do you block-dash efficiently, like what are you guys inputting to move smoothly throughout the screen? Whenever I try doing it, my character gets locked up with a block constantly and I lose all momentum.
Just do dash block dash and watch what happens then practice say two together , then 3 etc

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
While browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon an interesting video. The content creator raises valid concerns regarding MK1. Do you agree or disagree?

Strongly Suggested Changes - Mortal Kombat 1

i agree with mostly everthing he highlighted in this video, with the exception of the breaker, i think breaker definitely needs to be 3 bars AND the Kameo
we need some management in this game when it comes down to resources and kameos and meter the way it builts when it takes damage it's a joke.

though i do agree that if Fatal Blow was to made 3 bars, then breaker should definitely be 2 bars.

Have the second dash buffered half-way when doing the block to cancel the first dash

So instead of
Forward, Forward, Block, Forward,Forward

Try
Forward, Forward, Forward, Block, Forward

Notice how the latter doesn't have you inputting a "block" that stops your momentum until you're already 50% through the input of your next dash. This will minimize the time between the block stopping your momentum and another dash starting. It works because the block button in this game doesn't interrupt any buffers or strings. Mash it between every input of a string and you still get that string.