What's new

Mileena General Discussion

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Hey guys so I've mained mileena on mk9 and mkx. Right now I've been using these 3 abilities

Play time
Air tele kick mb
Low sai

Play time for the combo extensions. 1 1 grab mind game and I throw in roll or low sai if they anticipate the grab.

Air tele mb just for extra damage. It's like a mini Combo in itself and I use it to bait ppl to jump or if they try to move, etc. This is also good with low sai imo.

Low sai yes it's a slow projectile but the mind game of this and tele kick scares them and I also mb it alot. And the KB I've landed it a lot so far catching ppl throwing a high projectile.

So yeah Ik it's like day 2 kinda yolo rn but still trying to evolve my mileena. But yeah not sure if anyone have thoughts on this combination it does feel a bit gimmicky as well.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Everyone seems to agree that the air telekick is meh. Having her command grab seems crucial. She’s so negative on everything that her command grab opens people up to making mistakes, not to mention it’s her armor breaker into a KB.
I'm gonna play a ton more games, trying b4 another kl starts.

Gaxkang

Banned
Everyone seems to agree that the air telekick is meh. Having her command grab seems crucial. She’s so negative on everything that her command grab opens people up to making mistakes, not to mention it’s her armor breaker into a KB.
Well folks can use air telekick in much the same way Scorpion does, just minus the life draining combo :eek:

With her extended strings, with like 11 1+3, I'm not sure why one would do that combo rather than use amp ball and launch. I'm surprised 11 1+3 doesn't have a KB really, from the animation.
But I might use those strings just for well, to have them heh

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Well folks can use air telekick in much the same way Scorpion does, just minus the life draining combo :eek:

With her extended strings, with like 11 1+3, I'm not sure why one would do that combo rather than use amp ball and launch. I'm surprised 11 1+3 doesn't have a KB really, from the animation.
But I might use those strings just for well, to have them heh
It's the grab at the end of the combo that catches ppl blocking and when they anticipate the grab i ball roll or low sai.

@LawAbidingCitizen I'm really digging Rolling Thunder. It takes a little getting used to, but does seem to make things easier. I find doing F2 into Stabbyscotch works better with it than F1 though. I actually find F1 whiffs a lot with it, but that's fine.

Just toying around, 3,4~Rolling Thunder, Amplify, F4, 3, 3+4 does around 30%, give or take.

I've been playing around with sai slide. If you anti air or do a juggle combo and end with f1xx sai slide amp, you beat all wake up options except back roll. The sai will miss on the way up and hit them as they recover from forward roll, up2 and up3. The only thing I've found that beats this setup so far is delay wake up and a move ala sub zero slide.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
@LawAbidingCitizen I'm really digging Rolling Thunder. It takes a little getting used to, but does seem to make things easier. I find doing F2 into Stabbyscotch works better with it than F1 though. I actually find F1 whiffs a lot with it, but that's fine.

Just toying around, 3,4~Rolling Thunder, Amplify, F4, 3, 3+4 does around 30%, give or take.
Yeah it's pretty good. Just sucks when you feel strapped for moves already. I love the customs but I feel a ton of Mileena's moves should be base or she should get 5 slots lol

LawAbidingCitizen

I've been trying everyday since she came out. Its hard af. Seems lime I'm pixels away

I didn't watch the video. Did he land it on a big body?
@Juxtapose

If you two are talking about F2 ender after uppercut in combos. Red Raptor that made videos of it, he is a lab monster on steroids. He made what was it called "Kombat Academy" website which has soo much tech it's fucking bonkers

He also had tech for auto flawless blocks after using any move that had -5
If your opponent would poke back or immediately retaliate in close quarters mash war.
I think he has tech for every character.

Back in the MK9 days TonyT was a lab monster. But I think Raptor worked for NRS at one point. But yeah he does some combos I just can't. I used to be good but I'm getting old and my response time is failing
Anyways I'll take a crack at the F2 ender after D2
I bet it's a 1-3 frame gap using F2 or F4. Those moves have something in common they are 17/18f start-up and F1 is basically half that at 9f
I bet it's a tight gap after the D2 recovery.

I wish I had that frame by frame app I used to use on my linux computer. I'd be able to figure out how many frames after D2 we had to use F2, F4 or F1

I've been playing around with sai slide. If you anti air or do a juggle combo and end with f1xx sai slide amp, you beat all wake up options except back roll. The sai will miss on the way up and hit them as they recover from forward roll, up2 and up3. The only thing I've found that beats this setup so far is delay wake up and a move ala sub zero slide.
I made an example to show.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Played some casual matches and didn't do too bad! Even against my friend who's totally OP at this game, I didn't do too horribly. There's still a lot I gotta learn.

Also just went up against a Scorpion who sounded like a teenager breathing hard as hell into the microphone talking about some "Get outta here bitch." Like do ppl take kasuals this seriously? Calm down lil baby it's 3 am I'm chilling.

Then I went up against a DIFFERENT Scorpion who fatalities after one game.

I just gotta assume if you fatality someone after ONE game then your dick is small I'm sry I don't make the rules. I'm tryna learn how to play this bitch Mileena not watch this 30 minute fatality I've seen 100 times.

Raider

Noob
I find her gameplay too similar to Kitana's and too simple and straightforward which for me is a big no. She lacks when it comes to special moves too. I am at stage 5 of her towers rn. And i will finish both 5 and 6 but probably won't play her anymore, just like i didn't play Kitana. It's REALLY hard for me to find a character to play in this game that i am really having fun with. So far it's only D'Vorah, Sindel and Heart Pierce Skarlet sadly.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Finally all the top players are complaining about B1's range and second hit of 11 wiffing.

Personally I want B1 to have D1 range and I'm good.
But I'll also take 34 & F431+3 to be -7 ob and F12 to be special cancelable and possibly make F124 become -8 OB

But honestly I'll take anything. I like her and think she is good but some of her shit is wack. Like 10+ moves reseting her throw KB when Rain has 2 throw KBs and a billion fast mids and safe overheads

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
So, I decided to build off of the last post I made about Mileena's F1. I really wanted to see if there were workarounds against the characters with pokes that traded with or even beat Mileena's D1 after a blocked F1. I think I found one.

I went through the entire cast again to see if she can backdash out of their fastest pokes after a blocked F1 and then cancel the backdash into either F2 or F4 for the whiff punish. I honestly wasn't expecting it to work, let alone for the results to be so consistent, save for a few outliers. So far, I've found 3 different scenarios based on the speed, range, and recovery of the poke:

• The poke is whiff punishable by both F2 and F4.
  • The poke is only whiff punishable by F2.
  • The poke cannot be backdashed at all.
So, I put the characters in their respective categories. Bear in mind that while D1 was typically a character's fastest low poke, their D3 and D4 would still be able to catch Mileena's backdash where the D1 would whiff. However, since D3s and D4s are typically slower than 7 frames, if an opponent starts using those to catch the backdash after a blocked F1, they can be beaten out by Mileena's D1, opening up her strike/throw game again.

The cancel out of the backdash does need to be pretty tight for it to work. It's more of a micro-backdash against most of them, so it's definitely something you'd do more preemptively rather than on reaction, but considering how much people love to mash, it's bound to work more than a few times. I'll admit, I don't how useful this'll be in the long run, but it feels like it could be something.

Punishable By F2 & F4:

• Fujin
  • Geras
  • Jacqui Briggs
  • Jade
  • Johnny Cage
  • Joker
  • Kabal
  • Kotal Kahn
  • Kung Lao
  • Liu Kang
  • Mileena
  • Rain
  • Rambo
  • Robocop
  • Shang Tsung
  • Sheeva
  • Skarlet
  • Sonya Blade
  • Spawn
  • Sub-Zero

Only Punishable by F2:
  • Baraka
  • Jax (D12 will still hit you)
  • Nightwolf
  • Noob Saibot
  • Raiden
  • Shao Kahn

Can't Be Whiffed At All:
  • Baraka (With Baraka Barrage)
  • Erron Black
  • Kano
  • Scorpion

Here's a quick video showcasing what I'm talking about. Against some pokes, you'll have to backdash further, but this should cover the gist:

Last edited:

projectzero00

nomnomnom
I hope they will patch air sai, so you can cancel into it after telekick and f12. Some good combo potential with air tele + air sai.
That would be the absolute dream. Even if you have to meter-burn in order to juggle, it really feels so natural as a Mileena player to instinctively try to ai-sai/telekick after a move like f12. Or in general not have the option to air-sai/air-telekick universally but that's a different story... :rolleyes:

Yeah it's pretty good. Just sucks when you feel strapped for moves already. I love the customs but I feel a ton of Mileena's moves should be base or she should get 5 slots lol
They absolutely fit the character into Mortal Kombat 11's design style though. She actually feels better to play than I expected!

I miss the utility I had with Air Soaring Sai, but the reliability of Rolling Thunder is a better trade-off, in my opinion.

I also remember TonyT from back in the day, solid videos.

And yeah, I usually can never do the "top tier" combos anyway, which is fine and I just adjust and do the best I can do personally, but it's nice to know that it's not just me :).

I find her gameplay too similar to Kitana's and too simple and straightforward which for me is a big no. She lacks when it comes to special moves too. I am at stage 5 of her towers rn. And i will finish both 5 and 6 but probably won't play her anymore, just like i didn't play Kitana. It's REALLY hard for me to find a character to play in this game that i am really having fun with. So far it's only D'Vorah, Sindel and Heart Pierce Skarlet sadly.
As a Kitana main, I'm actually finding Mileena is far less gimped than the Princess was. You are reliant on Offensive Gauge to really combo, but she's got more flare and a little more variety than the Princess. I like her movement better too.

Like myself though, I suspect it's less the characters themselves that are irking you, and more the general mechanics design of the game itself.