What's new

Mileena General Discussion

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Is Sai Slide meant to basically cover wake ups bc I can't combo with it much, and the opponent can dash forward and punish canceling into sai slide on block

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Idk, Juxta said he used f2. I didn't watch the video.

I've been trying to hit f2 after the uppercut with no luck.
Yeah, I attempted it myself and it doesn’t seem possible due to the slow startup of F2. Either that or I’m getting old (by FGC standards).
Raptors Combo video doesn't have a D2 into F2 combo. That's why we are not getting it.

What his combos have is

Starter, Ball Roll AMP, JIP1, F231+3

That's the only F2 ones I could find. It was after a jump 1

It's definitely tight timing though cuz F2 is 17f startup active on 18th frame

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Is Sai Slide meant to basically cover wake ups bc I can't combo with it much, and the opponent can dash forward and punish canceling into sai slide on block
I think it's a very interesting setup tool. On hit and as an ender to combos it can be used to cover wakeup options or control space as well as offer hitstun for more pressure. I don't have the frame data but I know it makes certain things +8 pretty close to them and possibly more +

It also looks like it can be used to AA characters that throw air projectiles. There are definitely gaps and vulnerability to its use in the neutral but I think if it's used when at advantage it could be a powerful setup/oppressive tool.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
How are y’all playing her in neutral? She seems built for both runaway and point blank staggers & mix with almost nothing in between.
I either try to whiff punish or just go ham with something risky/unsafe. Walk forward throws/ct, F4s, naked roll (I have no idea why I do this), etc. I've had some good luck vs players with poor defense, and done really terribly against patient players who don't get flustered.

The overhead sometimes works. Try that?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
sigh I really wish she had a launcher outside of ball roll, or I wish launching with ball roll didn’t cost meter.

I love sai slide for the oki, but I bring the sai back down after landing a combo.... and don’t have meter to combo from my setup if I land the KB. It also makes combos like sai slide and dash almost useless. Her customs feel so damn restraining which is like.... the antithesis of Mileena. Bitch should be hardly restrained lol

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
How are y’all playing her in neutral? She seems built for both runaway and point blank staggers & mix with almost nothing in between.
F1 staggers are big for her. Stuff like dash up f1 in neutral into a walk back is nice. Her j2 has great range, f2 amp sai is really nice on block, and dash up d1 is your go to for people trying to low profile your f1

projectzero00

nomnomnom
I feel like she can’t live without Playtime. It should be universal imo
Even if it was, she sadly doesn't have many useful specials throughout to fill that extra slot. I've been labbing and playing online with playtime, stabbyscotch and low sai which is her best variant I've found. Let's say playtime was universal and you had that extra slot. What do you pick?

Kahnum dash has a low which is good for mixups but you're giving up the roll which is her ONLY combo potential. Her cancels are also way too slow for any pressure and plain waste of meter.
Her fade could be good on paper for invisible mixups but omg it sucks ass. Meter + dmg nerf + still visible + goes away even on block. It's utter trash, her worst move by far.
Air-telekick should be universal solely based on how rarely it's useful and how punishable it is. You can't even combo on hit-confirm and if blocked you eat 30% in the face. I can't even fathom how they thought they'd make it a variation move on its own. Noob's air-teleport for example is reasonable cause it combos on meter.
Air-sai again is useless most of the time since it's not as good as it was MK9 to get any use other than zoning which I don't see why you'd not play Mileena up-close.
Rolling thunder reduces gravity for combo potential. If it was overhead to mixup after f2 or b3 it would be more viable but as it is now, meh.
Sliding sai is the only reasonable choice IMO but I can still live without it since it leaves you quite open if it whiffs. I'd still pick the low projectile over it, even if it pains me that it replaces her normal one.

I might sound a little salty lol but she sadly feels very incomplete in terms of her specials. I'm still having fun playing her but they really dropped the ball with her special options. I'm praying they drop this stupid variation system next game so she feels like Mileena again.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Even if it was, she sadly doesn't have many useful specials throughout to fill that extra slot. I've been labbing and playing online with playtime, stabbyscotch and low sai which is her best variant I've found. Let's say playtime was universal and you had that extra slot. What do you pick?

Kahnum dash has a low which is good for mixups but you're giving up the roll which is her ONLY combo potential. Her cancels are also way too slow for any pressure and plain waste of meter.
Her fade could be good on paper for invisible mixups but omg it sucks ass. Meter + dmg nerf + still visible + goes away even on block. It's utter trash, her worst move by far.
Air-telekick should be universal solely based on how rarely it's useful and how punishable it is. You can't even combo on hit-confirm and if blocked you eat 30% in the face. I can't even fathom how they thought they'd make it a variation move on its own. Noob's air-teleport for example is reasonable cause it combos on meter.
Air-sai again is useless most of the time since it's not as good as it was MK9 to get any use other than zoning which I don't see why you'd not play Mileena up-close.
Rolling thunder reduces gravity for combo potential. If it was overhead to mixup after f2 or b3 it would be more viable but as it is now, meh.
Sliding sai is the only reasonable choice IMO but I can still live without it since it leaves you quite open if it whiffs. I'd still pick the low projectile over it, even if it pains me that it replaces her normal one.

I might sound a little salty lol but she sadly feels very incomplete in terms of her specials. I'm still having fun playing her but they really dropped the ball with her special options. I'm praying they drop this stupid variation system next game so she feels like Mileena again.
I think the worst part is how actual little variation there is in her special moves. For example:

Kahnum dash and rolling thunder both replace ball roll; therefore, if, for some reason, you wanted these moves, nothing is added to your movelist. You're at net zero. Likewise, if you want low sai, it replaces your regular standing sai for reasons unknown, and, once again , leaves you at a net zero.

Then you get to air telekick and air sai which should have been base moves in the first place. Even though they actually seem to add something this time, they're still just base moves that you can now do in the air. It's not really adding new moves, but adding a little more utility to already-existing moves.

Added strings should honestly be base because characters already have so few strings in this game. But again, just like the air moves, it's not so much an additional move as it is added utility to your strings.

Sliding sai, Stabyscotch, and Invisibility are her moves that actually ADD to her movelist. She might as well just have two slots though because I don't see any situation which would benefit from losing command grab. Sliding sai is decent, and offers a KB which isn't terrible. And I'm just preaching to the choir when I say that invisibility is awful, and pretty dumb in general. I'm aware of Ethereal, but that was actually different, added new combo paths, and wasn't just unused code lying on the floor that they threw in.

Apart from Staby and Dash (one of which should be a staple, and the other I think is useless), her moves don't change how you play her at all.

One last thing I wanted to whine about this morning was Ball Roll costing meter. I know this has been mentioned already, but I just need to vent a little. Let me preface by saying that I understand a lot of classic base moves now cost meter to combo, but that isn't my point. You have setup moves in your added strings that cost meter, so if you want to combo into them, it costs two bars of meter for a setup, and as a result, you use up all of your meter and then have nothing to use after your setup. The same goes for sliding sai setups, although that move has its uses outside of setups. This final point is just a personal complaint, but I hate having to spend meter to combo off of an anti-air or whiff-punish Ball Roll. I get it's for balance purposes, but it still hurts my soul to pay meter for those combos.

Anyway, of the few characters I play, Mileena clearly looks to be the most rushed and/or unfinished. It's like they had a base Mileena, but ran out of time, so they took all her specials away, put them as variation moves, then called it a day. I still enjoy playing as Mileena, but I am disappointed in how plain and uninspired her variation moves are.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Seems to me like she's the weakest out of the new 3 dlc. Incomplete, high risk - low reward, bad range....I thought she was gonna be the queen of neutral with ball roll and her normals, a better Kitana in my opinion but that isn't the case unfortunately.
I also no longer feel bad that kitanas booty isn't base because mileena can't even have a base air teleport without it being an added ability lolz

naked roll (I have no idea why I do this),
Because Mileena, silly.

I feel like she can’t live without Playtime. It should be universal imo
Just like Kitana and Ground War.

Anyway, of the few characters I play, Mileena clearly looks to be the most rushed and/or unfinished.
And yet I find she feels a lot more complete than Kitana. A launch character...

MK2 Klassic Mileena in the store!
Thanks for the heads up! For Mileena (and Kitana), I prefer this over the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 skin. For Jade, the opposite.

One thing that does frustrate me about Mileena (like Kitana), is her D2 is such a horribly unreliable punish. Klassic MKII tech: when in doubt on a punish, you go for a D2, but when you successfully block, say, Kabal's Nomad Dash and your D2 whiff's...

I know there are better punishes of course and I need to "unlearn" that old tech, but it's still frustrating.

I'm also getting used to the longer start up on her Ball Roll/Rolling Thunder as well as Tele-Kick. They were great punishes in the last two games, seem to blow in this one.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
As wonderful as Mileena looks/feels, they did not give her a variety of moves I can be satisfied with. Like others have been saying, there are some customs that definitely should've been part of her base kit. Make the customs have her throw the sai at different angles like air-ground or vic versa. I was hoping they would give her a move for her claws where she can do extra chip, or bleed damage, SOMETHING for them. This has been my problem with the game, it's so milquetoast, it's like the biggest risk they took with her was exchanging her roll for a (imo) worse move. No real creativity, just keep it extremely basic. Still love her though
I was a bit disappointed that more of her kit from MKX didn’t make the transition. She was amazing in X

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
F124 also suffers same problem of being full combo punishable on breakaway as b114

Both can be baited so it's not so bad

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
As a Kitana main, I'm actually finding Mileena is far less gimped than the Princess was. You are reliant on Offensive Gauge to really combo, but she's got more flare and a little more variety than the Princess. I like her movement better too.

Like myself though, I suspect it's less the characters themselves that are irking you, and more the general mechanics design of the game itself.
I agree. Kitana plays like she has a cinder block chained to her waist. Just not as mobile as she should be. Both her and Mileena in MKX felt wonderful and expressive to play.