What's new

Mileena General Discussion

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!

...Does anybody have this mask? I've done SOOOO many towers, Brutal difficulty and all, and still haven't unlocked it, and I wanna make sure it's actually possible to earn it. It's the only one I haven't unlocked, and it's the one whose design I like the most. Figures...

Temptress

Edenian Empress

...Does anybody have this mask? I've done SOOOO many towers, Brutal difficulty and all, and still haven't unlocked it, and I wanna make sure it's actually possible to earn it. It's the only one I haven't unlocked, and it's the one whose design I like the most. Figures...

This and and the claw gear piece are locked for everyone, I believe. The tower hasn’t shown up yet.

FoughtDragon01

Haven't gotten it either, but I will start her 6th char tower so maybe in that?

Also, MK2 skin is in the store today.
Nah, I was grinding her 6th character tower and didn't find it there either. It's how I managed to unlock the rest of her gear, though. Just stock up on Reiko Shurikens, Hsu Hao Beams, & Takeda Kunais, 'cause those are towers are straight bullshit.

mrapchem

Noob
Even if it was, she sadly doesn't have many useful specials throughout to fill that extra slot. I've been labbing and playing online with playtime, stabbyscotch and low sai which is her best variant I've found. Let's say playtime was universal and you had that extra slot. What do you pick?

Kahnum dash has a low which is good for mixups but you're giving up the roll which is her ONLY combo potential. Her cancels are also way too slow for any pressure and plain waste of meter.
Her fade could be good on paper for invisible mixups but omg it sucks ass. Meter + dmg nerf + still visible + goes away even on block. It's utter trash, her worst move by far.
Air-telekick should be universal solely based on how rarely it's useful and how punishable it is. You can't even combo on hit-confirm and if blocked you eat 30% in the face. I can't even fathom how they thought they'd make it a variation move on its own. Noob's air-teleport for example is reasonable cause it combos on meter.
Air-sai again is useless most of the time since it's not as good as it was MK9 to get any use other than zoning which I don't see why you'd not play Mileena up-close.
Rolling thunder reduces gravity for combo potential. If it was overhead to mixup after f2 or b3 it would be more viable but as it is now, meh.
Sliding sai is the only reasonable choice IMO but I can still live without it since it leaves you quite open if it whiffs. I'd still pick the low projectile over it, even if it pains me that it replaces her normal one.

I might sound a little salty lol but she sadly feels very incomplete in terms of her specials. I'm still having fun playing her but they really dropped the ball with her special options. I'm praying they drop this stupid variation system next game so she feels like Mileena again.
You aren't wrong in your analysis, but I do want to clarify that Rolling Thunder is actually quite nice.

Not only does it juggle a bit lower with a little bit more added damage, which is nice for the B114 KB, but, when you hold 4 while doing Ball Roll, you do get the utility of getting the regular Ball Roll with the higher juggles, but it goes full-screen, which is very good for punishing high projectiles on a read.

Also, even though they are both full-combo punishable, Rolling Thunder is safer than normal Ball Roll and depending on where it hits a blocking opponent, it has a different hit reaction, so it can mess up peoples' punish timing when it's unexpected.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

for Mileena, all these gears below , are not avaliable now, doesn't matter how much you try, or how much towers you clean ! :

"Aralmikan Berserker" mask, "Qazhkilian Beast Talons" klaws, and her "Diabolical Daughter" & "Heir to the Throne" skins

They will be released, probably, through a couple of Mileena's premier towers in near future .... stay alert and keeping watching for that ! ;)

'cause those are towers are straight bullshit.
Playing Towers of Time again has reminded me greatly about how much I loathe the modifier implementation in this game.

Also, playing practice Sets against the Hard AI has lead me to believe that NetherRealm Studios may have increased it's input reading. May have.

In general, for all of you, what are you using for your primary strings, and primary punish strings/Special Moves?

• 1,1 is fast but has awful range.
  • B1 is alright but seems inconsistent
  • F1 is not bad at all, but of course going F1, 2 can't cancel into anything.
  • 2,3,3 seems slow
  • 3,4 doesn't seem awful
  • F4,3 seems good, but risky
  • B3 seem a bit slow as well
  • Ball Roll/Rolling Thunder take a million years to start up and gets blown up
  • Tele-Kick, see Ball Roll
  • Stabbyscotch has poor range
The more I play, the more I'm not liking her Normals and she's reminding me a bit more of Kitana in this regard, despite having more flare.

Also, I see many of you saying you prefer Low Sai over normal Soaring Sai. Why is that?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Playing Towers of Time again has reminded me greatly about how much I loathe the modifier implementation in this game.

Also, playing practice Sets against the Hard AI has lead me to believe that NetherRealm Studios may have increased it's input reading. May have.

In general, for all of you, what are you using for your primary strings, and primary punish strings/Special Moves?

• 2,3,3 seems slow
  • 3,4 doesn't seem awful
The more I play, the more I'm not liking her Normals and she's reminding me a bit more of Kitana in this regard, despite having more flare.

Also, I see many of you saying you prefer Low Sai over normal Soaring Sai. Why is that?
F2 or D3 .... hehe ! :p

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you

• 2,3,3 seems slow
  • 3,4 doesn't seem awful

This Mileena really isn't my style since I prefer to stay at the midrange and focus on whiff punishing and pokes, and as a result, I suck pretty bad with her. That being said, I'll still post what I do and or think below.

At the midrange, I primarily try to use f+1 to get in close along with b+2. Generally speaking, they work pretty well. I also spend a lot of my time whiff punishing with Ball Roll, but Mileena gets knocked out of it half the time which is SUPER frustrating.

If I'm close, but not close enough for b+1 or Staby, I will either do a f+1 or f+4,3 and cancel it into low sais on block or ball roll on hit. It's also slow, and you can get knocked out of it, but what can you do?

And finally, up close at point blank is pure 50/50 with Staby and b+1.

I prefer low sai because I feel the utility of air sai is just so poor in this game. Low sai on the other hand nets you more favorable trades by allowing you to duck projectiles, and it puts the fear of KB in opponents who might want to try and zone you back. Also, low sai can be used for some low tier 50/50s with some of her (extended) strings. Honestly, air sai should have a KB if you combo it after a telekick. Anyway, that's Mileena from the perspective of a Frost/Kabal main.

Gaxkang

Banned
So MK2 Mileena is in shop now, right after the Rain sale.... :eek:

Ah well, I believe MK3 Mileena is still supposed to be a Race of Time reward....

Really those two costumes and gear shoulda been free, I would say... :p

FoughtDragon01

Low Sai is definitely MU-dependent, and even then, you could probably still get away with running Regular Sai anyway. The KB and low profiling of Low Sai is nice, but Regular's pushback is just too sexy. It also gets around the Last Breath mechanic pretty decently as well.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
I just want the MK2 skin, but I'll have to pay $20 to get enough Time Crystals for them

View attachment 17821
Feels bad oof. But hey, the MK2 skins for the other females ended up being in the Towers of Time. Wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Mileena down the line.

hehe, the classic sais that come up with this brundle are the best gear ...... they look hella sexy on Mileena hands !!! :p :rolleyes:
The sai are tight, yeah, but those clawwwws. The simple wrapssssss around her wrist. It's too simple to pass up cause I wanted this exact thing on my Feral Mileena. Less is more!

Gaxkang

Banned
Feels bad oof. But hey, the MK2 skins for the other females ended up being in the Towers of Time. Wouldn't be surprised if this were the case for Mileena down the line.
Yeah eventually the Mk2 and Mk3 skins were put into Race Against Time, so once someone gets those....they can later get the gear out of the bundles when they appear again for a lower cost.

Whenever that all will be heh

But MK3 Mileena better be next Race Against Time... :eek:

FoughtDragon01

What are ya'll meatying with? I am running into some issues with everything you might expect against crazy wakeup buttons.
What are you knocking down with? I don't really commit to meaty attempts unless I end combos with Staby. F124 as an ender works too, but only in the corner. Both jail into B11, so outside of wakeup roll or U3, no one should be able to press wakeup buttons without getting blown up for it.

Another knockdown that works for meaty setups in case trying to end with Staby is too inconsistent, is to end her combos with F12. You sacrifice about 3% damage, but it's anywhere from +19 to +21 on knockdown, so Forward Dash into B1 jails there as well.

What are you knocking down with? I don't really commit to meaty attempts unless I end combos with Staby. F124 as an ender works too, but only in the corner. Both jail into B11, so outside of wakeup roll or U3, no one should be able to press wakeup buttons without getting blown up for it.

Another knockdown that works for meaty setups in case trying to end with Staby is too inconsistent, is to end her combos with F12. You sacrifice about 3% damage, but it's anywhere from +19 to +21 on knockdown, so Forward Dash into B1 jails there as well.
I'm usually ending in cmd grab and have seen my b11 get blown up too much, I guess my timing is just off. I need to throw more b2 into my game in general. Honestly I wonder if I'm not better off backing up on every knockdown and throwing low sais for a living.