What's new

Man, I Miss MK9.

Noob
I used to play it on and off. My friends were big into it. I started playing MKX competitively and now when we have an MK9 night I don't lose. So nobody plays me anymore. I seem to find going back to it now, that it was a very easy game execution and combo wise, compared to MKX. I random select every time I play it now just to give the others a chance. And if I land on Cyrax I have to restart and random select again. I feel you can pick up a character in that game in a few rounds. not competitively on a super high level. But well enough that those who used to wipe the floor with you get all upset and shout pad hacks.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
I'd be interested in seeing what you could do for MKX especially with the coding being a lot cleaner. But with the competitive player base being much larger than MK9 and given that every character in the game is already viable through at least 1 variation I'm not sure how many people would migrate. But it's nice to hear it's on your to do list.
Well, it's more of a possibility than to do, since there are no tools that currently work in the scripts.
All I'm doing is poking around with a hex editor. Granted, it's possible to datamine the variables but it will take time, obviously.

But assuming I had them all at my disposal, I'm aware MKX is gonna be a far, FAR, bigger pain in the ass to balance than 9.

Specifically, I want to make every variation viable, tone down or remove any OP 50/50s, solve issues like jump ins being too powerful, corner carry being too powerful, and so on. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of stuff that needs to be fixed.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Well, it's more of a possibility than to do, since there are no tools that currently work in the scripts.
All I'm doing is poking around with a hex editor. Granted, it's possible to datamine the variables but it will take time, obviously.

But assuming I had them all at my disposal, I'm aware MKX is gonna be a far, FAR, bigger pain in the ass to balance than 9.

Specifically, I want to make every variation viable, tone down or remove any OP 50/50s, solve issues like jump ins being too powerful, corner carry being too powerful, and so on. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of stuff that needs to be fixed.
As admirable as it would be to rebalance MKX, there is just too much that needs looked at lol.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Beside the fact that my character wasn't even in the game i think i might be one of the only cats who misses the over all production value that mk9 had....challenge tower, the crazy match settings, the new and old school stage music (dan forden actually came back as composer to score the WHOLE game as opposed to being a music director for mkx and injustice). The babalities, and freaking TOASTY..? Even thats gone man... its a bummer...

But i would be lieing if i said i wasnt having a blast with mkx...even if my main character is a walking trash can..

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
As admirable as it would be to rebalance MKX, there is just too much that needs looked at lol.
I think it has the potential to be better than even MK9 TE, but the deal is it's gonna be a lot of work, I presume.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Beside the fact that my character wasn't even in the game i think i might be one of the only cats who misses the over all production value that mk9 had....challenge tower, the crazy match settings, the new and old school stage music (dan forden actually came back as composer to score the WHOLE game as opposed to being a music director for mkx and injustice). The babalities, and freaking TOASTY..? Even thats gone man... its a bummer...

But i would be lieing if i said i wasnt having a blast with mkx...even if my main character is a walking trash can..
The old school fun and colorful tone is something I miss from MK9. There's a certain whimsical quality to MK1/Mk2 that was translated perfectly into MK9.

MKX is a lot darker, more serious, sepia-toned, and 'grownup-y', but I do hope the fun colorful MK makes a resurgence in the next one.

That said, it's only a cosmetic concern, as the fighting game engine in MKX is loads better.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I'm usually the type to throw out the rose tint shade comments but I say let the people have their thread and enjoy.

If you enjoyed MK9 join in as a memory without seen it taken a shot at the other NRS games.

Problem with that and especially OP is lack of making the thread sound like an opinion and more of a Fact!

Even if you fully swear it's the best of all time try to make OPs sound more personalised, like calling it "The most fun NRS Game" can easily become less triggering by saying "The most fun NRS game imo" which is what it is... an opinion.

But anyway I do miss it too

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
The old school fun and colorful tone is something I miss from MK9. There's a certain whimsical quality to MK1/Mk2 that was translated perfectly into MK9.

MKX is a lot darker, more serious, sepia-toned, and 'grownup-y', but I do hope the fun colorful MK makes a resurgence in the next one.

That said, it's only a cosmetic concern, as the fighting game engine in MKX is loads better.
At least Injustice 2 seems to be very colorful and vibrant!

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I think a lot of the people dont realize we know MK9 was a mess. We know the netcode was ass, the balance was terrible, it was filled with bugs and glitches, it had P1 advantage, and lots of other things. We all know that. Literally NOBODY thinks MK9 was perfect. The thing is we still lime the base mechanichs a lot. The dash system was really fun and unique, the meter management was great, I think Im on the fewer here but I loved having invincible wakeups, as well as a rushdown game that did not rely on safe 50/50. I cant speak for the rest, but I want MK11 to be based around this mechanics instead of MKX's, because I enjoyed them more, and because I know all of the things that did make MK9 a mess (or at least most) would not be there anymore, the same way they weren't in MKX.

I would not assume to know why other people stopped playing, I know I would still be doing it if my computer could run it.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”

Very true.

Mkx does seem to take itself seriously...something that older mk games really didnt (they seem to be made with silliness in mind with just a little seriousness sprinkled in...sometimes).

Injustice 2 is looking swell, I do hope we seem somethings going on in more of the stage backgrounds like with mkx etc.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
I will take MK9 Sub over MKX Sub any day. I wish the Dolphin emulator guy or guys could hook us up with an online playable MK9 like SC2.

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
I really enjoyed playing MK9, the FIRST FIGHTING GAME that I was SUPREMELY TRULY INTERESTED IN the first game I got a platinum trophy for

Mixing PC and PS4 here but some kompetitors I liked to fight were Mikey_Mike1993, RM AtK! , ESP_-Midnite, Virtiqal, Grandexed, MikeMetroid, Klownicle, Krzychoo, Skar(mirror skarlet vs skarlet), Killa Solid, V1PER and many others of varying skill levels. The toughest player MUs for me as a Kabal were the absolute zoning and unbreakable damage Kitanas of the world and the Bird Lao's. Bird Lao (Killa Solid) and Zoning Kitana (Mikey_Mike1993) were just so stressful to fight especially on a ps3 with all the disconnects. PC version improved the netplay a lot and there was about a frame less of offline lag too!
Sorry if I missed anyone.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
We all know MK9 had horrible balance and netcode and that oki and poking was kinda wack for some characters. Like...we ALL know that game was imperfect, but holy shit was the neutral and the fight for space so much more interesting and intuitive than post-MK9 NRS games. MK9 felt more like playing Street Fighter, the Injustice series feels more like a tank warfare sim to me. Not trying to disrespect the game, I get why people like it and I have a mild amount of fun diluted heavily by salt when I play, but god I could just play MK9 for hours and be so happy.

Last edited:

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Shoutouts to the most fun game NRS ever came up with.

Does anyone still play online?
I will seriously go get a PS3 and a copy if there's anyone left who'll run sets in it.
Hidden random select, every fight.

Where are you people?
I'm always down for games. Add C88_TrueGrave for games.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
MK9 wouldn't be so highly praised if only Paulo/the designer team didn't decide on making half of the movelist either overhead or low in future installments of NRS games.

Remember the rumored "return of the footsies" back when MKX was announced? That's because people acknowledged that Injustice 1 relied heavily on setplay and reads rather than spacing. Then MKX just went and fucked everything up by making it worse with heavily + on block EX moves and even deadlier OH/Low mix-ups than Injustice.

Now for NRS players and especially for NRS-exclusive players, having canned 50/50s is a standard for a character and it would be unthinkable if he didn't have one.

Injustice 1 and MKX did a lot of things better as far as being AAA video games go, but bad design choices make them not as fun to play as MK9.

Superi0rMagik

You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent
Too easy to open you're opponent up in these new games. Yea mk9 was broken in certain areas but atleast you did not have to guess 50/50 after a jump in. sheesh. Talk about opening someone up.